Santa Monica Mountains

Tracks Santa Monica Mountains 0.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
I did some more testing - some layouts work fine, others crash after 5 seconds. Since the Tuna layout also crashes for you after 5 seconds I do assume it's an issue with this track itself :-/

I did some more testing - some layouts work fine, others crash after 5 seconds. Since the Tuna layout also crashes for you after 5 seconds I do assume it's an issue with this track itself :-/
You mentioned FSR in one of your posts, so I assume you're running OpenComposite / OpenXR Toolkit?

I'm running OpenComposite and OpenXR with FSR. So, on a hunch, I just tried Tuna Cyn using SteamVR and it doesn't crash. Performance was horrendous (20-30 FPS and high frame times in some sections) but it didn't crash. So... maybe it's an incompatibility between the track and OpenComposite / OpenXR Toolkit?

PS I promptly switched back to OC/OpenXR Toolkit because performance is so much better than with SteamVR. I'll just skip Tuna Cyn for now and reap the benefits elsewhere. :)

Last edited:
You mentioned FSR in one of your posts, so I assume you're running OpenComposite / OpenXR Toolkit?

I'm running OpenComposite and OpenXR with FSR. So, on a hunch, I just tried Tuna Cyn using SteamVR and it doesn't crash. Performance was horrendous (20-30 FPS and high frame times in some sections) but it didn't crash. So... maybe it's an incompatibility between the track and OpenComposite / OpenXR Toolkit?

PS I promptly switched back to OC/OpenXR Toolkit because performance is so much better than with SteamVR. I'll just skip Tuna Cyn for now and reap the benefits elsewhere. :)
Oh that's interesting, will test it with SteamVR and some of the Toolkit options off too to see if I can narrow down what is causing this.
But indeed, OCC and Toolkit give me such a huge fps boost that SteamVR is out of the question. Couple of days ago I accidentally started in SteamVR mode and my fps went from a stable 90 to eh.. 60-70 :)

BTW AC is the only sim where I use the FSR option in CSP instead of Toolkit. For demanding races like rain races for example I drop my FSR to 75%. it's easier to do that in CM than in Toolkit for me, where I have to take off my hmd, grab the keyboard, change FSR amount and restart AC ;)

Last edited:
This track is amazing, but my poor little 2070 can't handle loading it in VR. Pulling up tuna in single screen mode, acs.exe uses 7186M of my 8G vram by itself. I was able to get that down about 200M by dropping settings quite a bit, but in VR it grabs about another 900M on average, plus another 500 for the compositor. By commenting out the tuna and lasFlores kn5 files in the models_a_stuntRace.ini file last night I was finally able to run Stunt in VR all the way through, that was incredible. I guess it's time to go find an AMD card since the nvidias seem to be prohibitively expensive with high vram cards.
It is interesting that this track is so big compared to the 73km Targa Florio, which only uses about 5G for me in VR. Nords endurance only uses 3.5G.

I'm ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I finally broke down and upgraded my 2070 Super to a 4090. The bad news is I'm poor now, but the good news is that I can drive Tuna Cyn in VR without crashing - heck, it never even breaks a sweat now. So, the moral of the story is that the appropriate GPU to pair with your HP Reverb G2 is a 4090. :(

I'm ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I finally broke down and upgraded my 2070 Super to a 4090. The bad news is I'm poor now, but the good news is that I can drive Tuna Cyn in VR without crashing - heck, it never even breaks a sweat now. So, the moral of the story is that the appropriate GPU to pair with your HP Reverb G2 is a 4090. :(
Way to go! What wouldn't you do for a good simulation experience :thumbsup:.

It would like to hear some experiences and stats from the 4090 users. I have 3080Ti and maybe some day I have to switch too... What kind of FPS you can achieve with titles like AC, AMS2, DR2.0 and RBR mods.

But do I need to upgrade my power (PSU)...?:cautious:

Way to go! What wouldn't you do for a good simulation experience :thumbsup:.

It would like to hear some experiences and stats from the 4090 users. I have 3080Ti and maybe some day I have to switch too... What kind of FPS you can achieve with titles like AC, AMS2, DR2.0 and RBR mods.

But do I need to upgrade my power (PSU)...?:cautious:
Yeah, I've wanted a better VR sim racing experience for a long time, but things were bleak during covid and the crypto mining boom. It's depressing we need to pay what NVIDIA is asking, but hopefully it will be sufficient for many years. I'm just happy I can really enjoy Todd's excellent Santa Monica Mountains track in all its glory now!

I don't use single screen / triples, so I can't comment on that performance, but in VR I get a solid 90 FPS with all video settings at maximum and 20 cars on track. That certainly wasn't the case with my 2070 Super - I had to turn things way down to get 90 FPS, so it's a big improvement for me. Same basic performance in AC, AMS2 and iRacing - pretty much everything turned up to maximum except MSAA.

I think the recommended PSU is at least 850 watts.

PS I realize we're starting to get a little off topic here, so if a moderator wants to tell me to continue the GPU discussion elsewhere, I won't get my feelings hurt. :)

Is there a way to generate or download a comfy map or an ingame map? I think there's many roads not shown except for the main AI route.

Using Pure 0.234 and CSP 0.2.3preview - The road looks like a grainy television.

Screenshot_kl_gr_86_2021_sp_santa_monica_mtns_1-0-124-15-2-53.jpg

Why a PDF and not just a text file with the link or, better yet, why isn't the link to the actual download simply listed in the description? I don't know you and I'm not saying you have done anything of the sort with this PDF, but what I do know is that PDFs can be used to inject malware while pure txt files cannot. Somethine about downloading a PDF so that I can then open the PDF to retrieve a single link to elsewhere to download the actual file when I could have very easily been told the location of the file upfront without needing to jump through hoops simply feels bizarre to me.

Such a beautiful track but wish I could enjoy it in VR. Other tracks I get 90 FPS at noon but here only 45-60 and sometimes drops to 13 and freezes. Using OpenXR here o a 3070Ti laptop GPU. Hope the author is still working on the map. It's simply epic!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back