Safety Rating Explained, please...

So how's the Safety rating worked out?

Last week I was 95 - been that for ages.

Now I'm 81 - I've had tons of clean races, won plenty, had some nice close battles but still hit by the usual dicks. Nothing changed really. I earned the rating through online racing, not farming or with AI.

Safety Rating has fallen through the floor and it's only going one way.

How so?

Having to build SA in offline is a flaw in the game. SA is completely useless offline, it's a pure MP stat. I always avoided offline racing when you couldn't turn ratings off because of bad AI behavior, all my SA comes from MP and it's at 96 right now.

New players that farm SA offline usually don't know how to race online, those are the clowns you see in high SA lobbies. If you start building SA online only, you will do much better than farming it offline, which is a ridiculous concept.

The game should allow you to get a max of like 10~20 SA from offline maybe, just so you can learn the stat, after that everything should come from MP.

Having to build SA in offline is a flaw in the game. SA is completely useless offline, it's a pure MP stat. I always avoided offline racing when you couldn't turn ratings off because of bad AI behavior, all my SA comes from MP and it's at 96 right now.

New players that farm SA offline usually don't know how to race online, those are the clowns you see in high SA lobbies. If you start building SA online only, you will do much better than farming it offline, which is a ridiculous concept.

The game should allow you to get a max of like 10~20 SA from offline maybe, just so you can learn the stat, after that everything should come from MP.
Believe me, bad AI behaviour is nothing compared to some online behaviour!

I was late getting back into ACC as I took a break from racing - so can be consider a 'new player'. I am (or was) purely an online racer (I organised and participated in many from Forza 3, 4, 5, RacePro to AC leagues) but my SA wasn't high enough to join the competition server or some lobbies that require high SA. What were my choices? I went online and joined low SA lobbies but the below video is what I was subjected to (watch from 1.00 to 4.00 - note this is an example, it's not my video). So the best option was to combine offline with online.

If you can't race against AI without contact how do you expect to race against a real opponent without contact?

I know multiplayer sometimes can be very frustrating, but part of that was improved in the last SA changes. Before those, if you got involved in an accident which you had nothing to do with, you would lose SA, that's not the case anymore, since then it's a lot less frustrating to get SA from multiplayer only. When AI used to be more aggressive I also used to lose way more SA offline, it was frustrating. It's also much easier to avoid contact with AI's, you can safely divebomb and they will avoid you, so it doesn't reflect what you will experience online.

SA shouldn't be something you are supposed to farm. If people does, that means the system has a flaw, just think about it, farming safety points, are you kidding me? The reason for this bad design is very limited and poor CP lobbies choices and availability, there should be "tiers" of CP lobbies for different levels of SA, like 30/50/70, all at the same time. Lack of public Kunos lobbies with different levels of SA, they should put some and fix them at the top of the lobby list and maybe increase SA gains(and loss) in those lobbies to incentivize people to drive carefully and reward them. Also, to some extent, collisions in ACC are still a mess, so close racing sometimes is rewarded with both drivers spinning and losing SA for just a small touch. Online ratings are frustrating and should be frustrating to some level to get, otherwise they have no value.

If I get rear ended in MP I still lose SA - I've complained about this but everyone says it's better than it was.

"It's also much easier to avoid contact with AI's, you can safely divebomb and they will avoid you, so it doesn't reflect what you will experience online. "

You shouldn't be divebombing in SP or MP. If you divebombed me on MP I would be like the AI and try to avoid contact too - drive it like you own it. If you divebomb in leagues and cause contact you would get a penalty.

We agree on something :D the CP servers should be tiered.

Maybe you're right here, but I thought that if there is space and you outbrake someone and you're in control of the car it's not really dive-bombing. If there isn't space and you take away their ability to turn into a corner that they 'own', or you're not in control of the car, that's a divebomb. I might be completely off the mark here - apologies if I am.

I guess where there are unwritten rules with the term divebomb it's down to interpretation.

If I get rear ended in MP I still lose SA - I've complained about this but everyone says it's better than it was.

If it became known that there was no penalty for drivers in front; rammers would simply start braketesting everyone without penalty.

The recent changes still hold both drivers in the initial collision at fault. But other cars that are caught up in the aftermath don’t incur SA penalties. Which is a definite improvement.

SA has been erratic for me today: I was stuck for ages at 76 and now, as if a cork has been pulled, after two laps with AI at Suzuka and even being shunted a bit by the AI, it jumps to 84? Plain weird. Anyway, PC lobbies are down to 70SA, so it seems like everything is still rather experimental.

I can see BWT and Trust points, and what I noticed lately is that BOTH are going down, even if your SA goes up. I remember having like 1300~trust and now it's down to ~600, no idea what is going on. It's been like that for a few days at least.

Just joined a 80+ SA lobby, got hit by a crazy ferrari twice on the same lap, second time causing a big accident and my SA dropped from 98 to 96.

SA has been erratic for me today: I was stuck for ages at 76 and now, as if a cork has been pulled, after two laps with AI at Suzuka and even being shunted a bit by the AI, it jumps to 84? Plain weird. Anyway, PC lobbies are down to 70SA, so it seems like everything is still rather experimental.

More than experimental, they are making adjustments based on what they see. What they did now is giving more importance to newest data compared to old data. If you got an increase, it means that you had old penalties that were hindering you too much, now the old results count less. This has been done because many people were already in really high values of SA and were starting to get overly aggresive, knowing that they could still keep the high SA regardless of having some indicents. Now people will need to keep being careful regardless of their SA, or it will go down fast.

@Kafir, older Trust/OBWP values get culled from your profile as time passes; you may have had a more favorable ratio a month or two ago, and now those values are not factored in any longer.

Thanks for the information.

Can the same thing happen with SA? I noticed mine had suddenly dropped from 96 to 83 last night when I opened the game. I hadn't even joined a race and noticed just by going into the rating menu.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea