Safety Rating Explained, please...

So how's the Safety rating worked out?

Last week I was 95 - been that for ages.

Now I'm 81 - I've had tons of clean races, won plenty, had some nice close battles but still hit by the usual dicks. Nothing changed really. I earned the rating through online racing, not farming or with AI.

Safety Rating has fallen through the floor and it's only going one way.

How so?

On the point of coasting, what would happen if you did just coast around and when other players caught you up you battled for a corner or 2 then just let them passed you. Then the same with the next car. You could get lapped several times in one race by the same car, but still be considered safe and worthy of racing in the higher ranks.
Perhaps a loophole and a way to farm.
Possibly, but at the same time it would be more relevant to the rating. If they just coast and then race some other faster driver for a while they probably would rack up safety rating while they are close to the other car. They're not racing though, they're wasting the time of the other drivers and just holding them up for no good reason if they are not genuinely taking part in the race. There could even be a way for the software to recognise when that's happening.

I think these kind of problems are beyond a software fix to be honest. It would take an administrator to watch races, boot and black list people that do that kind of stuff. This is basically what you get from a Racedepartment subscription. Racedepartment won't give you a good rating but it will give you a proper race without all the negative crap that happens on a open public server.

When it comes to public servers there's just some hardship you have to endure. If you want to avoid that you need to find groups of like minded people or join clubs like Racedepartment.

But to be fair I haven't ran into any really bad behaviour online lately. I haven't been in any T1 piles up for weeks. I have had two races where I just put my head down and did consistent lap times not worried about passing people out. Qualified 7th, ended the race in 3rd simply because all the "fast" guys in front crashed out. I had to avoid many incidents in front of me and lost a place by slowing down only to see the guy who ignored the accident and crash into it himself.

Yeah, I have noticed that online racing is getting better in ACC too.
Hopefully it will carry along those lines and continue to improve.
I think the suggestion that's been floating around for a while now, to have scheduled races would make things much better. I remember when I had my Racedepartment premium account and my sim rig set up all the time, it used to be great to know there was a good race at a particular time that you could book your place in, and that would have people participating that were all there for the same reason. The slower drivers weren't an issue at all, they had there own races and knew how to react for blue flags, everyone was very respectful and helpful, none of the man baby stuff you see on public servers.

I would much prefer to know exactly what race I will take part in at the weekend rather than just drop randomly into a server, I think it would make it much easier to avoid the bad racers. At least until I get a more permanent place for my rig and can sign up for a premium account again here.

I am all for that, but the issue I have is I work shifts and can only mainly get on during the day once or so per week.
would be great to join scheduled races but they are never scheduled for when I can get on.

Both of you sound like the perfect iRacing clients, just did a GT3 race there at Okoyama and it was just pure fun from start to finish 40mins later. Moved from 15th on a grid of 27 to 9th, had two nice close battles along the way, others - it seems - were not so lucky / circumspect, but if I wanted to, I could do the same again 2hours later all week long. And it was the slowest/worst grid of three grids running ...
I use ACC offline 95%, compared to iRacing it just doesn't make the cut online, except for RD events.

iRacing seems like a good product if you have the time to invest in it. I'm in the same boat as ThugUK, my time is very limited. My rig gets packed away for the week, I have to take it out and set it up each weekend.
I've already invested a lot of time in ACC so I just don't want to move to another sim, which is what I'd effectively have to do, I don't have time for both. ACC is easy to just drop into and get racing whether it's online, against AI, or just doing special events. iRacing seems much more serious.

I am all for that, but the issue I have is I work shifts and can only mainly get on during the day once or so per week.
would be great to join scheduled races but they are never scheduled for when I can get on.
I'm the same, I couldn't race mid week even if I wanted too because my rig gets packed away until the weekend comes. If I knew there would be a race at 6pm on a Saturday or Sunday I'd plan my weekend around that race, it would be easier to do those longer 60 minute races too. At the moment it's a case of trying your luck with some random servers and hoping for the best.

I'm fortunate in that my rig stays out all the time, but unfortunate in that I work 12 hour shifts and cant really get on during the night and can only get on during the day (between doing other things).

IMG_5905.jpg

and to think I still attach my wheel to my home office desk in the evening and sit on my swivelling home office chair ...
I had to change to a rig, trying to race at the desk was like a comedy of errors with the wheel coming off in my hands mind race, pushing myself away from the desk with hard braking, ending up twisted at the desk. But the main problem is I started to get really bad pain in my shoulder.

My rig is one of the cheap ones but it is an improvement. It's handy in that I can leave the wheel and pedals on it, split it in half and hide it away.

This safety rating is bugging the hell out of me. I have only just returned to ACC, and my rating was at a lowly 74, so I couldn't join the 'good' multiplayer lobbies as they need 75. I'm now down to 68 without causing a single incident. I've been rammed from behind and spun out on formation laps, gamers (not racers!) are dive-bombing and when spinning out don't give a hoot about anyone else and unsafely rejoin the circuit causing a collision and I get the dreaded "both drivers receive a penalty" or whatever the message is! Is there no way the SA system can determine if someone is rammed, or if someone is off circuit and within a second of getting back on track there's an incident?

Might have to start racing against the AI to get my rating up, but I prefer proper racing battles which aren't really possible with AI.

This safety rating is bugging the hell out of me. I have only just returned to ACC, and my rating was at a lowly 74, so I couldn't join the 'good' multiplayer lobbies as they need 75. I'm now down to 68 without causing a single incident. I've been rammed from behind and spun out on formation laps, gamers (not racers!) are dive-bombing and when spinning out don't give a hoot about anyone else and unsafely rejoin the circuit causing a collision and I get the dreaded "both drivers receive a penalty" or whatever the message is! Is there no way the SA system can determine if someone is rammed, or if someone is off circuit and within a second of getting back on track there's an incident?

Might have to start racing against the AI to get my rating up, but I prefer proper racing battles which aren't really possible with AI.

They actually improved SA, some situations where you end up in a crash that you had nothing to do you won't lose SA anymore. It obviously still needs improvements, but it's way better than before, if you had no problems before you should have none now to increase SA.

Also, simracers are gamers, ACC is a game.

I found the opposite.
I was on about 67 and after a few races (well, a bit more than a few) I went up to 77 within a week or so.
I only play online.
I think its much more fair than it used to be.

They actually improved SA, some situations where you end up in a crash that you had nothing to do you won't lose SA anymore. It obviously still needs improvements, but it's way better than before, if you had no problems before you should have none now to increase SA.

Also, simracers are gamers, ACC is a game.
I raised it by racing in organised events where racers were more respectful / careful. At the moment I don't have time to dedicate to that so was just looking for some pickup racing. Maybe I've just been unlucky using the Quick Join feature.

There's arguably a difference between sim racing and gaming - depends on a individuals perspective / definition.
Good explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_racing

Last edited:
I raised it by racing in organised events where racers were more respectful / careful. At the moment I don't have time to dedicate to that so was just looking for some pickup racing. Maybe I've just been unlucky using the Quick Join feature.

There's arguably a difference between sim racing and gaming - depends on a individuals perspective / definition.
Good explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sim_racing
Who the hell uses the Quick Join button lol. All it does is throw you into a random lobby, which you can look through anyway since there aren't that many to begin with.

No need to feel superior, if you are playing a game, you are a gamer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back