Roller Coaster Race Circuit | Test Release

Tracks Roller Coaster Race Circuit | Test Release 0.8.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
eg01st updated Roller Coaster Race Circuit | Test Release with a new update entry:

Roller Coaster Race Circuit | Update to update

My update counting skills failed me this morning so this is the correct number, not backwards.

In city I added a few visuals and changed the red/white tarmac edge to black/white, looks more neutral.

In video there is a 2 lap race with full pack of GP Legends, 30 total cars on the grid, so my frame rate went well below 60 at times. Still fun and chaotic though.

Read the rest of this update entry...

My personal feedback, feel free to ignore..!

I don't normally comment in such detail but from a personal perspective I feel there are several things holding this track back.

I know it's a fantasy track but that doesn't mean it can't be grounded in reality. This is why Polyphony are widely acknowledged as the masters of fantasy tracks - they are always believable and could be real circuits. Maybe this isn't something that's of importance to you with this track though, maybe you just wanted to let your imagination run wild?
As others have said, the trees right next to the track when you've just driven through a section with them (correctly) behind barriers is a little jarring and certainly not FIA-friendly.
The short favela section feels misplaced, like it's just put there for the sake of it. It makes sense in FM7's Rio circuit but seems shoe-horned in here.
The chicane is too brutal for me and ruins any flow.

Some visual things:
The moire effect on the LED billboards is a visual nightmare in VR so I tried them in 2D and it was still very distracting.
The distance markers look a little small and hard to read in VR at speed.
I'm not a fan of the blue/green colour scheme. Maybe it's too bright and 'clinical' at the moment and could be toned down or have dirt/skidmarks added but there's a phrase 'blue and green should never be seen'.
It looks odd having a bank of green spring trees then a bank of gold autumn trees.

I think maybe you've tried to cram too much into one track. It feels claustrophobic somehow, which is weird for a long track. I think if a little restraint was shown then the track would be all the better for it. Less is more.

It's also very stop-start without much flow or much opportunity to open the car up. I was surprised to read that you like driving F1 cars around it - I much prefer smaller, slower cars like Minis or FIAT 500s around it where the lower speeds seem more appropriate to the layout and width.

Edit: man, that sounded grouchy but it wasn't the intention. I do enjoy the track and am thankful to you for sharing it but some things are limiting that enjoyment at the moment. These are purely my own comments and entirely subjective based on my own personal preferences. At the end of the day it's your track and you can can do what you jolly well like with it. :p

My personal feedback, feel free to ignore..!

I don't normally comment in such detail but from a personal perspective I feel there are several things holding this track back.

I know it's a fantasy track but that doesn't mean it can't be grounded in reality. This is why Polyphony are widely acknowledged as the masters of fantasy tracks - they are always believable and could be real circuits. Maybe this isn't something that's of importance to you with this track though, maybe you just wanted to let your imagination run wild?
As others have said, the trees right next to the track when you've just driven through a section with them (correctly) behind barriers is a little jarring and certainly not FIA-friendly.
The short favela section feels misplaced, like it's just put there for the sake of it. It makes sense in FM7's Rio circuit but seems shoe-horned in here.
The chicane is too brutal for me and ruins any flow.

Some visual things:
The moire effect on the LED billboards is a visual nightmare in VR so I tried them in 2D and it was still very distracting.
The distance markers look a little small and hard to read in VR at speed.
I'm not a fan of the blue/green colour scheme. Maybe it's too bright and 'clinical' at the moment and could be toned down or have dirt/skidmarks added but there's a phrase 'blue and green should never be seen'.
It looks odd having a bank of green spring trees then a bank of gold autumn trees.

I think maybe you've tried to cram too much into one track. It feels claustrophobic somehow, which is weird for a long track. I think if a little restraint was shown then the track would be all the better for it. Less is more.

It's also very stop-start without much flow or much opportunity to open the car up. I was surprised to read that you like driving F1 cars around it - I much prefer smaller, slower cars like Minis or FIAT 500s around it where the lower speeds seem more appropriate to the layout and width.

Edit: man, that sounded grouchy but it wasn't the intention. I do enjoy the track and am thankful to you for sharing it but some things are limiting that enjoyment at the moment. These are purely my own comments and entirely subjective based on my own personal preferences. At the end of the day it's your track and you can can do what you jolly well like with it. :p

Thank you for your feedback! This is exactly what I need, because when making such complicated things it's easy for artists not to see what's in front of them. Or some things are just put in there with a thought of finishing later.

On your points.

As I mentioned before to one of the reviewers, trees next to track was my intention from the beginning to create a rally-like place. It is, after all, a fantasy track, supposedly built around old road section. And I myself am having fun watching AI crashing into those trees with GP Legends mod, punishing them for pushing too much. That corner with a kerb next to trees will not be removed/changed. Sorry :D

Chicane. I am still having the same thoughts about it being too brutal, and at one point I was thinking about creating another hairpin before it, so you could have a layout that skips it and smoothly goes to the oval. That still could be done, making total of 8 layouts to this track.
BUT. My intention with this track was to force myself to drive better, and that hard brake-chicane was one of the things I need to practice. No other place on track makes you bring the car to almost a complete stop, and often I find myself overshooting the chicane. I need to train my braking style and brake points.

LED. Could you upload a footage of you playing in VR? I only use single 2560x1080 screen and have no idea how they look in VR. I can tone the brightness down, but the texture has that small black grid over it to look like a real LED screen.

Distance markers will be increased in size, thank you for pointing that out. I use 32 degree FOV, so for me they seemed ok, I didn't want to make them large like a truck.

Blue/green scheme can be toned down. I guess I made the textures bright and cartoony on purpose when I started working on it because original AC tracks seemed too grey, dead and looked like grass is rotting everywhere. Hence my enthusiasm with bright colors.

In general, I am now in a phase of cutting the trees out and simplifying the landscape. Orange trees was one of the first textures I found and it looked like it's a kind of tree that is orange/green in summer. I can swap it.

Favelas were planned to be a lot larger area, like they are located all around the wall of the city. But that would require a lot more models, time and is not realistic in terms of framerate I think. Even now I get some stutters. So I left them as a small part that is abandoned and the track just passes through them, as if it's built after that.

If you read my initial description, you know that I personally am more of a hotlapper. I made the track narrower, with many objects close to track to make me feel the speed. When the track became driveable I really enjoyed hotlapping it with F1. Of course, races with F1 are like Monaco. But I don't see Monaco Grand Prix being cancelled. Just my opinion.

Anyway, thank you very much for constructive criticism, I will keep it in mind when continuing the project. As I have heard them say, the best things are created together.

EDIT:
I'm starting to think I will add a hairpin before that chicane, so you can have a choice to skip the chicane. You are not the first one who tells me the chicane kills the flow. Of course, that will take me a few of my weekends.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback! This is exactly what I need, because when making such complicated things it's easy for artists not to see what's in front of them. Or some things are just put in there with a thought of finishing later.

On your points.

As I mentioned before to one of the reviewers, trees next to track was my intention from the beginning to create a rally-like place. It is, after all, a fantasy track, supposedly built around old road section. And I myself am having fun watching AI crashing into those trees with GP Legends mod, punishing them for pushing too much. That corner with a kerb next to trees will not be removed/changed. Sorry :D

Chicane. I am still having the same thoughts about it being too brutal, and at one point I was thinking about creating another hairpin before it, so you could have a layout that skips it and smoothly goes to the oval. That still could be done, making total of 8 layouts to this track.
BUT. My intention with this track was to force myself to drive better, and that hard brake-chicane was one of the things I need to practice. No other place on track makes you bring the car to almost a complete stop, and often I find myself overshooting the chicane. I need to train my braking style and brake points.

LED. Could you upload a footage of you playing in VR? I only use single 2560x1080 screen and have no idea how they look in VR. I can tone the brightness down, but the texture has that small black grid over it to look like a real LED screen.

Distance markers will be increased in size, thank you for pointing that out. I use 32 degree FOV, so for me they seemed ok, I didn't want to make them large like a truck.

Blue/green scheme can be toned down. I guess I made the textures bright and cartoony on purpose when I started working on it because original AC tracks seemed too grey, dead and looked like grass is rotting everywhere. Hence my enthusiasm with bright colors.

In general, I am now in a phase of cutting the trees out and simplifying the landscape. Orange trees was one of the first textures I found and it looked like it's a kind of tree that is orange/green in summer. I can swap it.

Favelas were planned to be a lot larger area, like they are located all around the wall of the city. But that would require a lot more models, time and is not realistic in terms of framerate I think. Even now I get some stutters. So I left them as a small part that is abandoned and the track just passes through them, as if it's built after that.

If you read my initial description, you know that I personally am more of a hotlapper. I made the track narrower, with many objects close to track to make me feel the speed. When the track became driveable I really enjoyed hotlapping it with F1. Of course, races with F1 are like Monaco. But I don't see Monaco Grand Prix being cancelled. Just my opinion.

Anyway, thank you very much for constructive criticism, I will keep it in mind when continuing the project. As I have heard them say, the best things are created together.

EDIT:
I'm starting to think I will add a hairpin before that chicane, so you can have a choice to skip the chicane. You are not the first that tells me the chicane kills the flow. Of course, that will take me a few of my weekends.
Thanks for the reply.
Taking a video in VR won't be possible I'm afraid but if there is a black grid over the LED billboards then it's likely that will cause a Moiré effect at a lot of different resolutions. You can't see it yourself when driving in 2D?

Monaco Grand Prix won't be cancelled any time soon, but by the same token there's no way it would be sanctioned today if someone suggested it as a new venue. It's a prestigious location and the jewel in F1's crown, but it is not a great place to encourage actual racing.

I look forward to your updates - cheers!

Thanks for the reply.
Taking a video in VR won't be possible I'm afraid but if there is a black grid over the LED billboards then it's likely that will cause a Moiré effect at a lot of different resolutions. You can't see it yourself when driving in 2D?

Well I see the effect but that is what I was aiming for - to make it look like the surface is made out of colored dots. For me it achieves the desired effect. Like driving through the time square where every wall screams ads at you (visually).

You see, when I started to make this track, I wanted a lot of stuff passing by when I drive. Because on other tracks I felt like on a parking lot without a sense of speed. The LED billboards are further away, but I still catch them with the corner of my eye and enjoy being in a 3d environment. I guess it's just a question of perception.

Thanks for the reply.

Monaco Grand Prix won't be cancelled any time soon, but by the same token there's no way it would be sanctioned today if someone suggested it as a new venue. It's a prestigious location and the jewel in F1's crown, but it is not a great place to encourage actual racing.

I look forward to your updates - cheers!

Work is already in progress:
chicanecuts.jpg

eg01st updated Roller Coaster Race Circuit | Test Release with a new update entry:

Roller Coaster Race Circuit | 0.3.4

After several complaints about chicane killing the flow I'm putting in a hairpin before it, so now you can skip it. Only 1 layout for now, AI is not working. It is for Sprint layout, called Sprint B.

* 1 Extra layout, no AI.
* Blue/Green concrete texture on runoffs toned down.
* Distance marker size increased by 100%.

No kerbs yet on the new hairpin, after 10 laps I still don't know how to correctly approach the corner - lots of understeer and it's...

Roller Coaster Race Circuit | 0.3.5

View attachment 280716 View attachment 280717 View attachment 280718

There you go! 8 layouts total + AI on new ones.
B layout versions mean you can go through new hairpin and skip chicane.

This is enough content to race till Christmas (maybe not).

Recently I've been enjoying races with GP Legends mod, since track is really narrow. But generally it's because I originally made it for myself as hot-lapping track.

I hope to see some online races some day, too.

Last update this year, sorry!

View attachment 283746

Next updates will come monthly.
There is some new things, and some improvements. Expect lap times to get better with added kerbs and concrete tiles behind kerbs in Favelas. New kerbs in Turn 1, cars with less grip are more forgiving now.

*All TV cameras have been improved, now the flow is better. They are all following now, no statics. Static and cinematic sets will be added after 1.0.
* Reverb zones added to all tunnels and...

Hey guys , quick question here. I was running a track day with a bunch of mini coopers ( which is an awesome mix on this track! ) And at about the 10 minute mark they all just kind of stopped on the track. Like they ran out of fuel , but in replay all their motors are still running. I haven't had this happen on any other track but this one. Anyone else have this happen?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.