Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament - Season 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brazil in blue ? You could pick the Olympic games or Football shirts colors to get different colors, example :
Brazil : Green and Yellow
Liberia : White and Red
Benin : Yellow and Green/Red
etc..

Brazil away kit has always been blue since 1930's. They have yellow at home. Kinda of like Japan always wears blue, but why??

Brazil.gif

Season 23 Underway

Fixture 1 Results.jpg

Brazil v Benin: Brazil takes its time feeling out the tiny African squad, but manages to tally up 2 goals before heading to the lockers. Not sure what went on in there for either side, but Benin comes out with their pants on fire. Two goals in the final ten minutes nets them a point in the unexpected draw.
Central African Republic v Liberia: Two powerhouse African teams go head to head to open their tournament. CAF manages a lone goal at the close of the first half. Tidy defense keeps it that way through the rest of the game, but injury time for Liberia was their saviour.
Japan v Vietnam: A fast game as both get on the board early in the first half. Apparently happy with a draw, both teams fizzle the second half. Each side traded a single goal on breakaways to end the game.
Jordan v South Korea: Jordan strikes first and early, setting the pace for a quick game at both ends. However, South Korea ties up the game just ahead of the whistle for half. No let up after the break, as both pound each other's nets with breakaway and corner kicks. Jordan's aggressiveness, however, bites them, as South Korea nets a penalty kick in the 81st minute.
Kyrgyzstan v. Malaysia: The Kyrgyz set out early to prove they belong in this tournament, their first ever at this level. Two early goals allowed them to take a break, but they gave up one before the half. Just to make good on their claim, Kyrgyzstan added two more in the second half.
Macau v. Macedonia: Sure to be a good match between the M-division co-champions, Macau decided to save their energy for their upcoming match versus Benin. (Why?) Macedonia wins by forfeit.

Next matchups:
Fixture 2 matchup.jpg

I've seen a few "complaints" about team colours, so I've worked on them a bit. All home teams (on the right) will keep their colours. The away team will choose whichever of their kits contrasts the best with the home team. I hope this helps you see them more clearly on the field.
Deadline for Round 2 selections will be 2100GMT, 14 Sept 2017

Just a question, guys. I know the deadline is Thursday night. But, if everyone responds with their choices much earlier, should I post results early and set the next round? Or stick with the schedule? Right now I already have all but two of you submitted choices.

Fixture 2 Results.jpg

Liberia v Brazil: It looked early on that Liberia might be too much for Brazil to handle, but the home-field advantage proved otherwise. Three unanswered goals in the second half sealed the deal for Brazil to notch its first win of the tournament.
Benin v Macau: Everyone questioned Macau's decision to skip their opener, but they silenced all the skeptics this afternoon. Macau's resounding 4-0 victory will worry fans of their next opponent.
Macedonia v Kyrgyzstan: An unassisted goal by their striker in the 6th minute put Macedonia on top early in this very cautious match between two undefeated teams. A bit early in the tournament to be playing it safe. The Kyrgyz netted a corner kick in the 68th minute to tie it up, and both sides felt happy to leave it that way.
Malaysia v Jordan: With Malaysia up 3-0 with 35 minutes to go, Jordan looked all but defeated. The Chivalrous fought back hard, though. A breakaway goal at 73 and a clever strike at 83 had them within range of tying it up. Time, however, was not on their side, as they were stuck at their own end at the whistle.
South Korea v Japan: A greatly-anticipated match between two very fast teams got off to a great start. Both sides scored a goal in the first 25 minutes. The action was not to die down, all though the goal-scoring did. With both net-minders standing on their heads, this one ends in a 1-1 draw.
Vietnam v Central African Republic: Both teams here trying to make a name for themselves and get a win out of this match. Trading goals in the first half, Vietnam looked to win this one after scoring on a 66th minute penalty kick. The PK was due to a slide tackle that injured a defenseman. Six minutes of stoppage time allowed CAF to respond brilliantly with a goal of their own.

Next matchups:
Fixture 3 Matchups.jpg

Deadline for Round 3 selections will be 2100GMT, 18 Sept 2017.

One thing I'd like to ask from all of you is this. Since the list of selections in PM will start to get very long and difficult to keep track of, please add "Match #X" to each message, then list your selections. This will make it all go a little more smoothly. Thanks. This can start with Round 4.

Round Three Results

Fixtures 3 Results.jpg

Jordan v Macedonia: Macedonia comes into this match with only one goal allowed, and looked like they would keep it that way. They score a late breaking goal off a Jordan mid-fielder's mistake. Their celebration lasted a bit too long, though, and Jordan caught them off-guard with a breakaway of their own in the 88th minute.
Kyrgyzstan v Macau: The Kyrgyz took a 1-0 lead into the lockers at the half, but the break helps Macua immensely. They managed to net two of their own while their opponents slept at midfield. They manage to hold off a (very) late rally and take this one 2-1.
Liberia v Benin: These clubs come into the match with the lowest goals-for of the entire tournament on two apiece. And it stays that way. Complete lack of highlights and I'm just filling in this space to make it look like something interesting happened.
Brazil v Vietnam: Vietnam looking to dig themselves out of the cellar with a good game against Brazil. A scoreless draw through 77 minutes ended with a strike from the Golden Buffaloes star Vinh. Insanity on the streets of Hanoi!
Central African Republic v South Korea: The South Korean defense proved to be the game maker today. Tied at 1-1 going into the lockers, South Korea managed to hold 85% possession in the second half. The Red Devils sealed their fate with a perfectly executed corner kick at the 70th minute.
Japan v Malaysia: Looking to gain their first victory of the tournament, Japan came out hard and fast to attack the goal, but left their side undefended numerous times. Malaysia speed capitalized on their opponent's mistakes. Four times.

Next Matchups
South Korea stands alone and undefeated at the top of the table, but Vietnam is fired up, and Hanoi is ready to host another victory! Five teams still looking for their first victory, and four of them are on home turf. Will the advantage pay off?

Fixtures 4 Matchup.jpg

Deadline for Round 4 Selections 2100GMT, 21 Sept 2017

Round Four Results

Round 4 Results.jpg

Macedonia v Brazil: The driving rain today led to visibility reduced to half the length of the pitch at some points during the match. Defenders could not see their own teammates attacking the goal. The short game prevailed in the end, with Macedonia extending its undefeated streak to four matches.
Malaysia v Liberia: Malaysia, on the heels of their 4-0 lynching of Japan, came into this one with their heads held high and egos even higher. Liberia snapped at the opportunity and potted 3 unanswered goals to take this match 3-1
South Korea v Vietnam: Two of the last remaining undefeated teams cautiously entered this match, which saw just the lone Buffalo goal at the 43rd minute. Determined to rectify the problem, South Korea opened the second half with extra attackers. A weak defense, however, allowed another late Vietnamese strike to seal the deal.
Benin v Jordan: Two winless teams poised for a great showdown in the desert. Jordan's strong start had their opponents back-pedaling the whole match. 1-0 after 10 minutes, and another late goal for insurance, and Jordan takes its first win of the tournament. Only two points for Benin have them sitting at the bottom of the table with CAF.
Kyrgyzstan v Japan: Japan is looking for redemption after their humiliation at the hands of Malaysia, and the Kyrgyz' just looking for redemption in general. A balanced start to this match, equal possession time through the first half, and Japan sneaks in a goal at the 30th minute. Kyrgyzstan pounces back hard, though, winning the possession game nearly 3:1. But, their energy was drained and with nothing to show for it, and they allowed a second goal before the whistle.
Macau v Central African Republic: Save the initial forfeited match, Macau is outscoring its opponents nearly 2-to-1. CAF, on the other hand, is losing to its opponents nearly 2-to-1. This match shows a trend is to be continued. No mercy from The Greens, as they easily handle their opponent 4-1.

Next Matchups
Vietnam v. Malaysia pits two teams trying to greatly improve their situation. It's still early, but the winner here could be looked on for a probably playoff run. Can Brazil or Benin pull themselves out of the trenches with an unlikely win against a powerful opponent?

Fixture 5 Matchup.jpg

Minor update, guys. I've got a very busy weekend coming up with my nephew's wedding, so I will make the deadline Monday night as usual. If you get stuff in early, oh well. I will post next update on Monday.
EDIT: I actually got everyone's choices in today and ran all the numbers. Now the dang thing won't print the table right. I've got the results in the next post, but the summaries will have to wait since I'm running out of time! I'll work on things Monday to make it right again.

Last edited:
Results

Round 5 Results.jpg

Summary: A bunch of teams played some games. Some of them were exciting. Some were surprising. One of them was boring. Two teams remain undefeated (Macedonia, Vietnam), two teams got their first win (Central African Republic, Benin). Vietnam is on a 3-match win streak. I'll update the tables as soon as my computer decides it want to print it.

Next Matchups

6.jpg

Deadline is 2100GMT, Monday 25/9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back