Rio to Host Brazilian Grand Prix as Early as 2020

noo.gif

My two cents here... this new circuit in Rio is an old promise here made by politicians to justify destroying the old Jacarepagua circuit for the Olympics. It never went nowhere and I really don't believe it will. IMO the only reason there's still talk about this is:

- Liberty Media and FIA need a South American GP to maintain interest in the region
- Interlagos is the closest thing to a proper race venue for F1 around here
- FIA constantly demands improvements to the circuit
- Given the lack of serious competition, Sao Paulo just invests the bare minimum every year
- FIA supports the construction of other venues to strong arm Sao Paulo into doing what needs to be done
- Politicians use the opportunity to say that they're making good on their original promise, and so the story goes

Seriously, any Brazilian will tell you that switching the race from Sao Paulo to Rio because of safety concerns is absolute bullshit. Having said that, as much as I love Interlagos (I live in Sao Paulo), I would actually like to see other top level race tracks here in Brazil or anywhere in South America. I just don't think it's really feasible, motorsports are far from profitable around here...

About this Rio track, only the area exists. It was conceeded by the Brazilian Army, after 5 years of cleansing (there was thousands of explosive materials scattered through the landfill, now they say it's safe... wow).

Chance of an explosion if someone goes off track? Oooh... sounds like Liberty Media are channeling their inner Bernie :D

The more you read, more unbelievable it becomes. The fact that Bolsonaro mentioned on social media that if necessary F1 would build the circuit is simply laughable. Interlagos will stay for the time being and the deadline that was set is simply far from realistic.

Interlagos circuit is already named after Pace, I don't see how they would rename it again.

It's not unprecedented; Stadiums and tracks get renamed all the time...plus Senna was obviously more successful and also died under tragic circumstances.

Not saying it's a nice thing to do, I'm just saying it could happen.

Not to mention Bolsonaro's announcement mentioned advanced negotiations with F1 bosses from England. Yes, F1 is still owned by liberty since some time ago, from USA, not England.

Most of the holding comanies associated with F1 are based in the UK and Jersey and as such probably most fo the administrative teams etc.

The interesting about any new circuit is that they have to follow a certain set of regulations by the FIA.

Now this is from memory so please don't shoot me if I get my details wrong but corners like Eau Rouge and the Senna S are outside of the permitted limits of new F1 circuit design. These tracks for example are exempt due to their historic nature. My assumption was always something along the stupid lines of car visibility, sponsor placement, etc. but it could be safety related I suppose. The first corner at COTA and the T13 banked corner in China are at the limits of what's now allowed, you can't have this sudden drop like the Senna S which is a real pity.

So like others I would love a rolling, curving grand prix circuit dedicated to Senna but I don't think it would be allowed, which is a real shame.

I hope that Sao Paulo keeps the Grand Prix though, what I would prefer is rather than spend millions on a new circuit, spend millions on the Sao Paulo Circuit itself, more modern grand stands and facilities, make it night racing compatible so the WEC can visit again, maybe an night time Indycar race. That would be cool :)

The deal actually ends in 2020, I believe they meant 2021 at that announcement but got some numbers wrong.
There is a possible extension in the current deal for 2025 but nothing has been signed yet, that's where Rio is trying to get in.
Right now there is no contract for anything, Rio or Sao Paulo, for 2021.
People are making too much noise because of a race date/location that changes nothing in their lives tho. Grow up.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back