Rio to Host Brazilian Grand Prix as Early as 2020

That new layout looks like there will be less overtaking than at the Hungaroring :thumbsdown:

As long as rain is still a massive threat we'll be fine though.

Yes, apparently you need tracks that consists of straights and 90 degrees turns so you have multiple drag races during one lap, and thats how you race in modern racing. :D

In my personal internet expert opinion layout is quite nice, but T10 looks too twisty, might be breaking the flow of entire circuit. T4 also looks like it could be made for better flow. However those F1 cars probably don't see many curves as turns in the first place...

Another Classic track out and another boring arcade game track in
I Lost all interest in F1 years ago and this track reminds me to keep staying away from the joke F1 has become

Don't worry, boys.
As a Brazilian following close this matter, this track has zero chance to even be built.
This news was just a politics move to change press focus.
The F1 itself didn't know about this either before this announcement.

Interlagos has a signed contract until 2020 chancelled by F1 and São Paulo city hall, so the 2020 Brazilian GP will be there.

About this Rio track, only the area exists. It was conceeded by the Brazilian Army, after 5 years of cleansing (there was thousands of explosive materials scattered through the landfill, now they say it's safe... wow)

There's not even contractors hired to built this, only a proposal project created by Tilke company.
There is NO WAY of this being built in 7 months, in order to host any race next year.

Maybe (a BIG maybe) something can be done for trying to host 2021 onwards, IF Interlagos don't renew their contrats with F1 first.

Here's my un-solicited advice:
Get Reiza to produce the track, then get the F1 racers to trial it virtually. See what they think about the layout. Evaluate it for the racing experience, the overtaking opportunities, the spectator experience...

Then forget all about it and continue as before. Sao Paulo for me rates right up there with Spa, Suzuka, and The RaceRoom Raceway.

I know São Paulo is not the safest city in the world... not the scariest ider, but Rio? Come on.... Rio is a freaking cesspool, plaged by out of control violence. I don't know a single Brazilian that does not live there and would think that's a good idea... Our country is so big and full of great opportunities.... I'm sure we have some great cities that would kill to host motor racing in general... Florianópolis for once....hint hint (Shameless plug about my city, yes, sue me.)

I think op layout is very old version.
At least in this first virtual lap layout looks very different and also better IMO.

There was three different proposal layouts, none of them are definitive. As I said before, there was just proposals, with the Tilke one the most famous one.

If this track gets built I seriously doubt it will be ready for the 2020 GP. Construction projects in Brazil always take too long and cost too much, especially when government is involved (I don't believe this bs talk about funding coming only from private companies and no government money involved).
There have been talks of a new circuit in Rio for years, since before they made the incredibly stupid decision to demolish the Jacarepagua circuit in order to built facilities for the Olympics that later would be abandoned and become another waste of public money.

Imo it would be very unfortunate to remove Interlagos from the F1 calendar especially if it gets replaced by another Tilkedrome. I'd rather keep the Brazil GP in Interlagos and invest more in better track facilities and security.

Thanks to plans also for MotoGP. :D
MotoGP is what makes all run off areas become asphalt tho, there was an interview with Tilke once where he talked about it, he said people complain but when the guy paying for the track says he wants to host motorbikes he has to make the project that way

If this get funded by private money then I'm all for it. About damn time they stop using tax payer money to keep F1.

Reactions: FS7

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back