Wanted RIFT S wanted.

So hopefully in the coming week I will get my first taste of VR. Will I like it though?
:)

Honestly when you pulled out of wanting VR, I thought you'd made a good decision. It's cool if you've not experienced it yet, but when you start realising the current techs downfalls over a monitor set-up, it's no where near worth it for me.

Most likely 100% the future though, tech is too primitive for me atm. And the Rift S is behind the curve VR wise! Can't go wrong for £100 though, I'm sure you'll get your use out of it.

Last edited:
Honestly when you pulled out of wanting VR, I thought you'd made a good decision. It's cool if you've not experienced it yet, but when you start realising the current techs downfalls over a monitor set-up, it's no where near worth it for me.

Most likely 100% the future though, tech is too primitive for me atm. And the Rift S is behind the curve VR wise! Can't go wrong for £100 though, I'm sure you'll get your use out of it.
It's not as if I am never going to use my 49" G9 monitor ever again. ;) If I don't like VR I will sell it on ebay.

I dipped a toe in, in much the same fashion as you @Andy_J, with a second-hand Rift (CV1 in my case) over 2 years ago.

I instantly found that sim racing (in Assetto Corsa) made me nauseous and I haven't yet gone back to try and build up my tolerance... However I very much enjoyed Half-Life Alyx and a couple of other VR games, so the whole experience/experiment was definitely a success.
(One day I'll try the racing again!)

I dipped a toe in, in much the same fashion as you @Andy_J, with a second-hand Rift (CV1 in my case) over 2 years ago.

I instantly found that sim racing (in Assetto Corsa) made me nauseous and I haven't yet gone back to try and build up my tolerance... However I very much enjoyed Half-Life Alyx and a couple of other VR games, so the whole experience/experiment was definitely a success.
(One day I'll try the racing again!)
Cheers mate. :thumbsup: Yes I will probably not like it either to be honest. Infact I am pretty sure I won't like sim racing or sim flying but at least I'll try it. Then I'll sell the Rift S for 90 quid.

I felt nauseous when I first tried it & it took me quite a while to build up my resistance. I did short 10 minute bursts, or shorter if I began to feel sick. It’s so tempting to push it at first, but in the long run you’ll benefit.

The game changer for me was buying a small USB fan. I aimed it at my face and let it rip, it was transformational. Kept me cool but also tricked my brain into thinking I was moving. I can now easily play Elite Dangerous in VR with no probs (as long as the fan is on )

The game changer for me was buying a small USB fan. I aimed it at my face and let it rip,
This helped a few of my friends tolerate my setup for a bit longer too. I also found it stopped my headset fogging in the winter months.

Yes I will probably not like it either to be honest
If my experience with me and my mates is anything to go by, there is a short period of 'wow', but after a day or two that subsides and you'll make up your mind pretty quick. Either the foibles of VR become too much to bear, or when you go back to flat you feel like it's missing that J'ne sais quoi

This helped a few of my friends tolerate my setup for a bit longer too. I also found it stopped my headset fogging in the winter months.

If my experience with me and my mates is anything to go by, there is a short period of 'wow', but after a day or two that subsides and you'll make up your mind pretty quick. Either the foibles of VR become too much to bear, or when you go back to flat you feel like it's missing that J'ne sais quoi
I have never believed that VR will ever be as good as a nice widescreen curved monitor and Track IR5 anyway. But just wanted to give it a try. It will probably be on sale on FB marketplace the day after. :thumbsup::D

I have never believed that VR will ever be as good as a nice widescreen curved monitor and Track IR5 anyway.
It'll never be as good visually, but to be honest, that isn't the point of VR, at least not for me. It reminds me of my other 'obsession' in it's compromises, which is motorbikes. They are a royal PITA for anything practical, but I enjoy travelling from A to B on them so much over a car that I sold my car ages ago so I could buy two more and some winter gear :)

Last edited:
It'll never be as good visually, but to be honest, that isn't the point of VR, at least not for me. It reminds me of my other 'obsession' in it's compromises, which is motorbikes. They are a royal PITA for anything practical, but I enjoy travelling from A to B on them so much over a car that I sold my car ages ago so I could buy two more and some winter gear :)
Funny enough I am a biker too. I own 4 motorcycles and I have been riding since 1979. I have never used a motorcycle for it's practicality though. Purely for fun wether that be on the track, on a mountain road or touring and camping on one. :thumbsup:

VR blows the TrackIR away, I have the Rift S and have been using my 49" ultra as ACC sux on VR, but for AM2 I'm now getting great use out of the Rift S.
The only good I got out of my TrackIR was looking at mirrors in ETS2, I had the Rift for ages and never used it as I spent 99.9% driving ACC, but since this thread I've been hitting the VR, I agree visuals are not great compared to monitor(s) but you soon forget about that. Let us know how you get on mate

Well I am pleasantly surprised. The picture quality is not that bad. Certainly not as bad as expected. For £100 quid this Rift S is a bargain. AMS 2 is bloomin good. Just done 20 lap race at Curitbo in the lighter stock cars and it was brilliant. Love the detail in the car itself. Just looking at the detail on the steering wheel is superb. Even watching a replay from the high marshals postion is really like watching a real race. I am actually very happy with the Rift s for VR on a budget. :)

AMS 2 is bloomin good
I have been racing almost exclusively in VR now for just shy of three years and I have ended up predominantly in AMS2 as it just scratches that 'immersion' fix for me so well.

I'll be interested to hear your views in a few days time as I think there is a definite 'honeymoon period' with VR. One other odd thing I notice is that tactile seems more pronounced in VR for me, so I have to run at a lower FFB and rumble volume settings than I would on a flat screen.

I have been racing almost exclusively in VR now for just shy of three years and I have ended up predominantly in AMS2 as it just scratches that 'immersion' fix for me so well.

I'll be interested to hear your views in a few days time as I think there is a definite 'honeymoon period' with VR. One other odd thing I notice is that tactile seems more pronounced in VR for me, so I have to run at a lower FFB and rumble volume settings than I would on a flat screen.
I will certainly tell you my opinion in a week or so. As it happens. I will mix doing some sim racing on my ultrawide and the odd one in VR. I will mix and match. So just getting the Rift S out now and again for a bit of immersion will do me. I have also discovered that using the bigscreen app in the Oculus store along with my good earbuds is absolutly excellent for watching a movie in a virtual cinema along with ambient lighting and empty rows of seats. Love it. Just watched Rush on that big screen and it was awesome. :)

Last edited:
VR blows the TrackIR away, I have the Rift S and have been using my 49" ultra as ACC sux on VR, but for AM2 I'm now getting great use out of the Rift S.
The only good I got out of my TrackIR was looking at mirrors in ETS2, I had the Rift for ages and never used it as I spent 99.9% driving ACC, but since this thread I've been hitting the VR, I agree visuals are not great compared to monitor(s) but you soon forget about that. Let us know how you get on mate
Can I ask what are your steam VR and AMS2 settings for using VR please?

I have also discovered that using the bigscreen app in the Oculus store along with my good earbuds is absolutly excellent for watching a movie in a virtual cinema along with ambient lighting and empty rows of seats. Love it. Just watched Rush on that big screen and it was awesome.
Without derailing this discussion then Im waiting to make the plunge into VR about the next year when either the Crystal or maybe more exciting the BigScreen get over the prototype state.
BUT beside sim racing my intention is to use it to watch all my 3D movies when/if my old 3D plasma telly one day dies.
Because today its impossible to get a new 3D telly :mad:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Eventhough the 3D version of Titanic was a postproduction effect the 3D version blows the 2D version out (in the water) :roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea