rFactor 2: The Big Interview (Part 2)

I am honestly hoping for TCR. they are just more varied and fun to race imho.
Yep, IMO GT4 (and LMP3) don't make sense in simracing (but they do in real life) unless you want grid fillers for Nords.

Well, that answers at least part of my question as well - so I guess things like proper track map or other things are unlikely to come soon, unless the supposed new plugin system is being worked on and could be therefore added by the community.
I think you are mixing stuff there. He is talking about cockpits. Stuff like track map stays in the HUD which afaik will have this info since it will also be in html
About cockpits tho I asked in Discord why not use the game API since it has a lot of info and link it to the cockpit for proper led settings, multi page lcd, etc. Didnt get an answer.

Last edited:

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
RD: (question from @Oldzeb) - rF2 has rather a "mature" public who likes old model tracks and cars of 60's/70's/80's is it planned to use GT and proto DLCs from that time?

MO: I think it’s fair to say that we are still exploring our options here. As you know a lot of people at S397 are part of the simracing community for a long time, and some of us in the past have collaborated on the GTP mod for NR2003 which features some really nice Group C cars. Specifically cars from that era have been an internal point of discussion in terms of DLC, but we had discussions about other cars too. No licensing deals have been signed yet, though.
What what?
I didnt know Offermans and his S397 colleagues have been involved into the famous GTP mod for NR2003.
This mod was my long time sim fiancé when I started sim racing.:thumbsup:
Hehe maybe I should try a last time to get rF2 to run on my system - hoping S397 will get the the licensing deals succeded (sometimes) for the 4 brands included in this sim.:)

The new that they’re working on an iracing-like multiplayer structure is huge. It’s what we were hoping that ACC would do. Over time, I think that could be great but in the short term IMHO rf2 lacks enough high quality content to do a system like that justice. To that point, I hope that they really pump out more first party content at the quality level of Sebring. If so (and if the finally do overhaul the UI) then we’ll have a winner in rf2. Long way to go but I’m optimistic.

@Marcel Offermans I didn't saw any question about sound engine update. It will be a good upgrade, if the sound engine is updated, surround doen't work a it is, fx as doppler and reverb are a bit old now, engine sample mixing is beliable, but not accurate. I would like to hear for example some more detailed physics based sounds, and maybe an easyer sound creation workflow.

BrunoB

Too much Goebbels
A lot of sim devs today started out as modders.
Ok ok.:D
But the reason this information is interresting is because the GTP mod is an example of the other way around.
Because the special thing with the GTP mod is that it was the only(?) "modification" of NR2003 that got an official approval by the owners of the NR2003 code - Papyrus.
Because some of the former devs from Papyrus actually participated in the developmemt of this famous mod.;)

@Marcel Offermans I didn't saw any question about sound engine update. It will be a good upgrade, if the sound engine is updated, surround doen't work a it is, fx as doppler and reverb are a bit old now, engine sample mixing is beliable, but not accurate. I would like to hear for example some more detailed physics based sounds, and maybe an easyer sound creation workflow.

Yes doppler and reverb are very old fx, as long as there was someone around to witness them...:p

Doppler effect is exaggerated and sounds like a cartoon version for some reason, if you want to fix it go to player json file and change speed of sound to 320-325.
Reverb is kinda the last thing i m worried about but yes it could be improved, as in most titles a hall/room algo doesnt sound proper when ur outside, although it sounds good in street circuits!

AI throttle stuttering is terrible though, sounds completely ridiculous, most retarded thing you can hear in a sim. Sry i m just being honest!

A sound tool for engine rev matching and mixing the rest of the sounds would be nice indeed.

Tranny wobble would be also very nice to have.

Another thing is some S397 mods are released with bad outboard sound, or in tattus case high revs enter ufo mode after a while in a long straight, also pitch is not stable. Its nice we get them for free but then they re not DLC level but rather lower 2nd rate quality mods from the same developer. :thumbsdown:

Reverb is kinda the last thing i m worried about but yes it could be improved, as in most titles a hall/room algo doesnt sound proper when ur outside, although it sounds good in street circuits!
The problem with the reverb is (IMO) that it's just one level on/off effect. It would be nice if it was more gradual depending on distance and so on.

But I'd certainly take surround sound first if I had to choose between it and a better reverb. It's such a big help with being aware of the cars around you when done right.

Last edited:
I watched the interview well.

There is a part that I do not understand.

The f1 license is currently the exclusive codemaster.

It's just a matter of launching the f1 series.

assetto corsa

gran turismo gt

In the case of a game, the vehicle can be provided in cooperation with the team.

I do not think I would even offer the latest Formula car.

In the case of isi, we launched the 2012 version in cooperation with the marussia team.

RF2 tells you that you can not get a license.

It is wrong interview ... It seems to avoid because there is not even plan.

Sweden
What what?
I didnt know Offermans and his S397 colleagues have been involved into the famous GTP mod for NR2003.
This mod was my long time sim fiancé when I started sim racing.:thumbsup:
Hehe maybe I should try a last time to get rF2 to run on my system - hoping S397 will get the the licensing deals succeded (sometimes) for the 4 brands included in this sim.:)
Why isnt rF2 running on your system? Just out of curiosity.

Ok ok.:D
But the reason this information is interresting is because the GTP mod is an example of the other way around.
Because the special thing with the GTP mod is that it was the only(?) "modification" of NR2003 that got an official approval by the owners of the NR2003 code - Papyrus.
Because some of the former devs from Papyrus actually participated in the developmemt of this famous mod.;)
But then the 'permission' was revoked once iRacing was created and David Kammerer bought back his code from Sierra. IRacing did eventually allow the mod to once again be released, after the modders went to court, but some changes were required before that occurred.
(btw: one of the worst online races I have ever participated in was with that mod, I was a last minute replacement with very little experience with the car. I was mauled repeatedly by truly much faster drivers. The car needed repairs everytime I pitted. We finished quite high in the standings, but only because we kept our crippled car out there while the faster boys broke and quit.) ((somebody printed up a cd-rom case label for the mod, I've probably still got that in a box....somewhere...))

This is a weird thing to say, that you'll work on the visuals for what is an AI realism issue that would actually need a fix to AI human-like behaviour? Human response is something like 100-200ms in your hands and feet for the average person, why can't you just put in a delay like that? Probably a bit of extra logic to stay on the brake rather once instead of press and release N times, of course, but something not visual seems to be needed.

The AI answers weren't filling me with a lot of confidence. It just seems like offline players are the forgotten user base and only multiplayer matters. I get that there are people who want to race online, but the sim racing community isn't purely an online community. Plenty of people like to race offline and it's frustrating that nowadays it is almost always about the multiplayer.

Multiplayer will draw in far more new users than solo play I think. I know they are focused heavily on getting the Multiplayer aspect working at the expense of solo racers. But the Multi still has lots of problems as well. Go over to the S397 forum and read the complaint message from a driver at the 24hr Le Mans race. They have much work to do. You might think you are being forgotten, or ignored, but in reality, it appears they don't have a large enough team to work on many of the broken solo racing issues until they finish the multi-player upgrades. Realize too, the UI, which is the core of all future updates is close to 2 years overdue. They can't proceed with much beyond new content until they get that dang-blasted UI re-worked.

Are you on VR, Triple Monitors, Ultrawides or ... ?

• VR

Votes: 337 36.6%
  • Triples

Votes: 167 18.1%
  • Ultrawide

Votes: 199 21.6%
  • Single Screen / Other

Votes: 219 23.8%