rFactor 2 | Portland International Raceway Update Released

Studio 397 have deployed a new update to the classic Portland International Raceway circuit within rFactor 2.
  • New update available on Steam Workshop.
  • New materials updates applied.
  • Various fixes.
As Studio 397 continue to work their way through the array of older content within rFactor 2, the Portland International Raceway circuit is the next track to receive the update treatment from the studio, with a new build release for the circuit having been deployed to the Steam Workshop yesterday afternoon.

Version 1.03 brings with it a number of quality of life improvements and graphical upgrades, as can be seen in the change notes below...

Portland International Raceway V1.03 Notes:

• Updated Roads to work with latest material developments
  • Updated Vegetation to latest material developments
  • Reviewed Grass bumpiness
  • Fixed some objects tagged as Hat that shouldn't have been.
  • Roughed up inside the curbs at the fast chicane
  • Added a dedicated material which makes there more resistance on the grass to stop cutting (just on the polys next to the chicane)
  • Fixed Fence/Tent lodding issues at Final Corners

Original Source: Studio 397 Twitter

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively on PC.

Got questions? Our community have answers! Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for a great way to engage with your fellow fans of the simulation.

rF2 Portland 1.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Caleibus

25RPM
Aug 19, 2013
Nice. rFactor is getting good

gianlucaP

250RPM
Feb 7, 2014
I suggest to have a look at the recent workshop mods. There is cool stuff. One is the conversion of some of the cars of the RF1 GTPC mod, another one is the Isle of Man conversion from GPL.
@S397, maybe you guys can help some of the modders at least providing the right tires for their cars. I mean, the official game offers formulas and GT cars and the modders can model their tires using some of the tires made for the official cars as a base. But would be very helpful if the Studio increases this reference tires introducing some model suitable for different kind of cars: track-day cars like the Ariel, rally cars like the Delta Gr. A and the S4. I mean, tire models ready to go with just few adjustments.
I understand that the Studio has interest mainly in promoting its official content, but there are players who don't like GT cars and the mods are one of the reasons, when not the only one, why they keep playing your game.
The game has two official road cars, the NSX and the Corvette, can you please update them to the current standards?

Last edited:

TTM75

250RPM
Sep 29, 2010
Yeah, it would be nice to see some competitions with normal road cars too.

Portland now look much better. Only downside that all updated tracks now uses same tarmac texture which makes them look indentical.

Reactions: mantasisg and Muzzy

Denis Betty

The older I get, the better I was.
Staff
Premium
Jun 18, 2013
I would just like to have a whinge about loading times. Only reason being that it's done now, so we can all move on and not derail yet another thread with (legitimate or otherwise) complaining about a topic which has nothing to do with the title of this thread.

There, I've said it. All in one sentence too. :p

Last edited:

AyrtonForever

250RPM
Premium
Oct 11, 2015
yep, Sebring was the first great new gen track (followed by Le Mans, Nurburgring, Portland and Spa) released since S397 arrival, it's now the only one not updated to pbr and other stuff, so i guess it will be next one to receive an update and i'm sure it will be stunning. also i'm happy with the Indy upcoming update :)

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - BLM
Staff
Premium
Dec 12, 2016
These updates feel like S397 is hitting their stride and in the not too distant future will be a complete package, I'm excited for the coming year and this sim.

TTM75

250RPM
Sep 29, 2010
yep, Sebring was the first great new gen track (followed by Le Mans, Nurburgring, Portland and Spa) released since S397 arrival, it's now the only one not updated to pbr and other stuff, so i guess it will be next one to receive an update and i'm sure it will be stunning. also i'm happy with the Indy upcoming update :)
I presume that Indianapolis will be the next one. Track was mentioned on november roadmap.

GOV47

100RPM
Premium
Oct 13, 2019
All of the new PBR updates are great. Sebring will be next most likely, but honestly it still looks pretty amazing IMO. rFactor2 has become my new favorite sim after all of these years. It still has A LOT of warts, but the good outweighs the bad for me at this point.

Andrew Harper

2000RPM
Dec 1, 2014
All of the new PBR updates are great. Sebring will be next most likely, but honestly it still looks pretty amazing IMO. rFactor2 has become my new favorite sim after all of these years. It still has A LOT of warts, but the good outweighs the bad for me at this point.
Yeah I was about to comment, Sebring is superb on this title.

With the FFB on a decent level, it's just as brutal around here in the Oreca 07 as you would imagine in real life.

I can't run the track with everything switched on but even so it does look very good.

TrumpetReich

250RPM
Premium
Oct 30, 2015
I can't believe this game was launched in 2012. It might not have the crazy cinematic bells and whistles of stuff like gran turismo or ams2, but the smooth realistic lighting is fantastic. It's so good at capturing sunrises and early morning sunlight. The latest little changes to PIR make it spectacular.
Desktop_Screenshot_2020.12.02_-_20.27.14.19.png
Desktop_Screenshot_2020.12.02_-_20.04.18.41.png

Last edited:

passenger

250RPM
Jul 6, 2019
Good for Portland too. And you know what, I wish the old classic Toban could
be updated too, specially with new trees. Always loved this little track from
the rFactor 1 days.

C'mon, Marcel, we need a better looking Toban!

GOV47

100RPM
Premium
Oct 13, 2019
Good for Portland too. And you know what, I wish the old classic Toban could
be updated too, specially with new trees. Always loved this little track from
the rFactor 1 days.

C'mon, Marcel, we need a better looking Toban!
Toban and Mills are still two of my favorite tracks ever! Would love to see them get a facelift.

cameron_etc

10RPM
Jan 6, 2019
All these new updates and pieces of content have me really excited. I know this title can be polarizing but man, if there is something that can equal its FFB and VR experience, I haven't found it. I genuinely like the graphics too. Hope they can one day release a C8.R for a complete GTE field, and maybe an LMDh or two when they exist