Revealed: Mercedes W09 EQ Power +

I think they count on some flex to favourably change the drag/downforce ratios depending on the angle that the air hits the various pieces.

Adrian, can you weigh in on this?

Really really really don't like all the bits and bobbles hanging off the modern cars in every direction.
I do love it when the end plates or the barge boards get knocked off on the opening corner and then the car proceeds to faster and faster throughout the entire race. :rolleyes:
edit:
gilles.jpg

:D
I though all those aerodynamic gadgets are there to help a car to go faster.
You learn every day. :D
Seriously... hate them all. I mean I've always wonder why FIA doesn't just ban them all, it would be same for everybody, right ? But then again... they don't want to block this ...road of unstoppable progress. :poop:
And seems that these aerodynamical parts are biggest sign of latest technology that separate us from those savage and obsolete F1 early years. :rolleyes:

Nice rig btw. :geek:

Well, if you take them all out you'll have GPL experience on modern wheels, which is even worse... At least on vintage tires you could feel the progression of going outside the grip limits, nowadays it's pretty much on/off.
The wings and diffusers are there for a reason, and let them be there, but I'd like to see a "clean up" of all the extra wings and aero pieces, like it was in 09.

Cheers mate.:D

Well, if you take them all out you'll have GPL experience on modern wheels, which is even worse... but I'd like to see a "clean up" of all the extra wings and aero pieces, like it was in 09.

Agreed. You needn't have all or nothing (although those 09 cars looked pretty awkward).

But, the less aero rubbish hanging off the car, the more actual driving, and the better the racing, in my opinion. It's win-win.

Last edited:
Ilya, don't know why but you acting like there's nothing in between '67 and these latest diva cars. =P
What's wrong with this 2000 Ferrari car ?
000.jpg

"Look ma' no additional 22 wings!"

Although... a little personal touch, my favorite cars
ZANARDI_61.jpg

are these ones.
Not so many wings again huh. Yet, pay attention Ilya... there ARE some wings on them.

Last edited:
I just thought you were for removing all the wings entirely.
Nothing is wrong. Lovely cars.
Looking-wise my most fav F1 car is Ferrari 641. Then, surprisingly, some 70's weirdness, like Tyrrell 003-006. 09 cars for some reason settled a sweet spot in my heart, so i love 'em too.
My most favorite open wheeler tho, might be that #3 Johnny Rutherford's McLaren. From the paint scheme and the shape of the car, to the beautiful offy engine.

Ok, language barrier strikes again then. :D
I did said "all" but I actually mean "all additional wings".
I'll say it again - we really need some kind of RD official interpreter. :rolleyes:

forgive my stupidity, but we see a lot of wing flex on those cars. What are the odds/efficiency of all those multiple aero bits on a wing that will wobble through the curbs, travel in the corners?

Chances are that is intentional. In fact the 2018 regulars are cracking down again on floppy aero that lowers itself under air pressure, thereby circumventing the bounding box approved for the cars.

With curbs, I'd say it might look like wobble, but it also means that the aero element does not follow the hard lift of the car. I bet you maintain better downforce compared to a hard wing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back