Paul Jeffrey

Premium
lamborghini-huracan-gt3 - Assetto Corsa.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni's Aris Vasilakos has released an interesting side by side video of the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 vs the digital Assetto Corsa version at Monza, with some breathtakingly similarities...

GT3 specification racing has been constantly growing in popularity in recent years, with many national and international series boasting some of the most incredible and exotic racing machines to ever have graced the race tracks of the world. Featuring a mix of professional and rich but talented hobbyists drivers racing in short and long distance endurance events, the desire for motorsport fans to engage further with this relatively new form of GT racing has seeming exploded over the last few years, bringing this form of motorsport firmly to the front of the public imagination, eclipsed only by the all dominant Formula One World Championship.

Responding to the increasing demand for Grand Touring specification racing and content, almost every racing game and simulation now boasts a greater or lesser degree of this remarkable cars within their roster of vehicles. Assetto Corsa is no exception to this rule with an incredible line up of current and previous generation GT machines featuring some of the best on offer from brands such as Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes, McLaren, Nissan and BMW amongst other performance GT supercars. The team over at Kunos Simulazioni have gone to great lengths to produce as accurate a representation of the real experience as is possible within the simulation software they have developed, with some remarkable results.

Coupled with detailed laserscanning technology, it really is an incredible time to be a sim racing enthusiast. Obviously proud to develop a publically available simulation title that aims to be as close to the real thing as possible, one of the men responsible for creating the physics behind the cars within Assetto Corsa, Aris Vasilakos has released this intriguing video of the Lamborghini Huracan found within Assetto Corsa pitted side by side with the real world machine racing at Monza as part of the recent Blancpain Endurance Series championship round.

With such attention to detail lavished upon car and track by Kunos, it truly is remarkable to see how close the two experiences match each other in Kunos' attempt to bring real life motorsport to the monitor of race fans the world over.

I love this sort of thing and it goes a long way towards reminding me why I enjoy sim racing.. because its awesome...

Assetto Corsa is available right now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, with additional DLC content available to purchase for an additional charge.

Sim Racing is awesome! Enjoy our superb hobby here at RaceDepartment by joining in one of our incredible club racing events in Assetto Corsa. We host regular race meetings across a number of items of content and all Premium members are welcome to attend, either old hands or complete rookies! Check the Assetto Corsa Racing Clubs and Leagues forum for details on how to join in. Additionally you can download additional content for the game by checking out our Assetto Corsa Mods forum, or simply get involved with the community and catch the latest news or have a chat on any aspect of the game, across all three platforms. It really is a great way to experience sim racing with fellow like minded enthusiasts!

Did you enjoy the comparison video? Are you surprised how similar Assetto Corsa is to the real life equivalent? Let us know in the comments section below!

I feel the same about AC, like its missing the feel of the rear tires. You half too guess visually what the car is doing, instead of feel.
You don't feel the wheel forcing more to one side or sometimes becoming lighter overall? Go to the drift course and slide the cars, make them lose grip, do stuff, so that you learn the different feelings compared to what the car is doing visually, and try both normal and race cars.
Drivers in real life sometimes lose the car because they didn't understand the feeling coming from the steering wheel and just aren't trained enough to correct and anticipate. However us in the sim have opportunities to pass through situations and learn without consequences.

For example in AC when the rear left tyre gets hotter than usual because of a hard right hand corner, the car will have less grip on that left side. You can immediately feel the car getting loose by feeling in the steering wheel less resistance on the left side, so if not careful with an over heated tyre you can spin out. The wheel gives you that information without any exaggerated forces. You just need to learn to recognize what's happening with the steering wheel because this is not always straight forward, even for professional drivers and much less for normal people driving their cars.

Reactions: BhZ
I agree with Celestiale on this. And it's not about force feedback strength or feeling understeer or oversteer. All these obvious effects are very well transported in Assetto Corsa, albeit not in the same transparency as in R3E. In R3E you can feel heavy under/oversteer mid-corner, but still have a good idea about the texture of the road for example. So, FF in R3E is not only transporting the brute effects, but the subtleties with little amplitude at the same time. So for me this feels very refined. These subtleties are completely missing in AC. I tweaked with the settings in-game and in the T500 driver settings a lot to no avail. I have to assume the effects are simply not there.

A bit offtopic, but it's a similar unrefined feeling I get from ACs SFX, although there R3E has an even larger advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I have more hours on AC than o R3E, so I really love the game. I just wished that they would be more spot on to enjoy it even more. And R3E shows that this is possible.

In R3E you can feel heavy under/oversteer mid-corner, but still have a good idea about the texture of the road for example. So, FF in R3E is not only transporting the brute effects, but the subtleties with little amplitude at the same time. So for me this feels very refined. These subtleties are completely missing in AC. I tweaked with the settings in-game and in the T500 driver settings a lot to no avail. I have to assume the effects are simply not there.
If you don't feel road texture in corners then you do need to tweak your FFB settings more, I have road effect amplification at 30% on my DFGT and the road texture is easy to feel. most likely you've got overall forces too strong in AC and the effects are clipping, try turning down Gain ingame and if you want more force turn it up in the driver.

Do need to keep in mind that tracks are laserscanned, if they're flat irl they'll be flat ingame and not have much texture, other games don't necessarily do surface feel this way.

Last edited:
I really like Assetto Corsa and love the GT3 cars. But the sounds could be more exciting. I think there is still room to improve by watching the video. I joined ADAC GT Masters some weaks ago and the Lambo sounds just awesome. You get goosebumps and a big smile every time it flys by. Standing next to the race track is like listening to the best music. Instruments played by 6, 8 and 10 cylinders. Hope someday simulation get closer to this feeling as well.

If you don't feel road texture in corners then you do need to tweak your FFB settings more, I have road effect amplification at 30% on my DFGT and the road texture is easy to feel. most likely you've got overall forces too strong in AC and the effects are clipping, try turning down Gain ingame and if you want more force turn it up in the driver.

Do need to keep in mind that tracks are laserscanned, if they're flat irl they'll be flat ingame and not have much texture, other games don't necessarily do surface feel this way.

Stereo, thanks for the explanation. This is very much the same deduction I've made. I know that road textures might get overshadowed by stronger forces in-game. But this is the very point I made in my posting. I reduced overall forces that much, that I do not have any clipping anymore (which I had some time before, granted). Result is that FFB is (for my taste) too soft and I still do not feel road textures as much as I would like to.

Again, R3E excels in this respect. It can deliver high cornering forces and give me a good impression of road texture at the same time. And because of the above said I was under the impression that AC is not that refined. Not sure on laser scanned vs non-laser scanned. I was simply comparing same/similar cars with same track. Of course you're correct: If the tracks are flat like a surfboard there should not be any road texture effects. But ironically Zandvoort feels better in R3E than in AC, despite not being a laser-scanned version in R3E...Not driven actual Zandvoort of course.

But the effort I had to do to get AC in FFB feel where it is now cost me 10 times the effort as in R3E.... and in AC I'm still not there.

For me the FFB feel does not need to be exactly replicating actual road feel of real cars. It should overcompensate for non-existing g-effects and such and hence create a heightened sense of immersion. BTW I'm not driving road cars, only race cars in AC. Of course small cornering forces would be normal for run of the mill road cars and is hence okay.

Again, I love AC but in that respect I feel R3E is way ahead.

For me the FFB feel does not need to be exactly replicating actual road feel of real cars. It should overcompensate for non-existing g-effects and such and hence create a heightened sense of immersion. BTW I'm not driving road cars, only race cars in AC. Of course small cornering forces would be normal for run of the mill road cars and is hence okay.
Road effect slider does that, at 0 it's purely actual feel, above 0 it magnifies just those effects on top of the stronger tire forces.

I haven't played R3E much, when I tried it seemed like the forces just went to 100% immediately in any corner with no nuance and I didn't like how it felt so I suppose people just have different tastes. In a normal corner my forces are maybe 60% of the max so if there are bumps or anything it has plenty of headroom to add stuff.

Road effect slider does that, at 0 it's purely actual feel, above 0 it magnifies just those effects on top of the stronger tire forces.
Maybe I will try to fiddle with the settings of AC again the next time and will achieve are more comfortable setting for me to work with.
I reckon, that it's due to different perception also different hardware used why we might come to different conclusions.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back