read more: FFB Tweaks

I've worked with x4fab to add a new feature to the Custom Shaders Patch (as of 0.1.51) and the description is fairly brief so I thought it's worth going into a bit more detail about what this does.

7hNkrdT.png

Gyro Implementation

[ ] Active check to enable
Strength 25% adjust effect strength
AC has an "Experimental Gyro" FFB effect whose purpose was adding gyroscopic effects to the steering. It never lost the experimental tag and all it's generally recommended for is damping down oscillations on direct drive wheels.
This is that, developed slightly further based on my understanding of the nature of gyroscopic forces. I have a pretty solid case for making this change, and I believe this force exists in actual cars, and AC's original experimental gyro does not.

The developed version still suits the purpose of damping oscillations, but more importantly it decouples the body from the front wheels - so if the front wheels are pointing in a direction and the body moves around them, no gyroscopic precession happens, and no force is generated. Concretely, what we're talking about here is oversteer - on the original experimental gyro, the force acts counter to self-alignment during oversteer. With this new implementation, self-alignment is allowed to occur freely, or, if the oversteer is so quick that the wheels can't self-align, it'll actually push in the direction of alignment.

25% is simply equivalent to the original force multiplier used on experimental gyro when merging it with other FFB forces. Ultimately, the same as the other amplification ffb effects like road and slip effect, the slider is available to magnify it if your hardware's limitations are obscuring the effect.
As of CSP 0.1.53 the strength slider is outdated. A calculation using the suspension geometry now provides the right precession-based force for each car.
The description is a little bit misleading; this replaces "Experimental Gyro" so disabling it is superfluous, if this is Active, experimental gyro is not. Still, it won't hurt to disable experimental gyro and be certain it's off.

Now that I've said what the intent is, I will also note the following: this changes FFB in pretty much every dynamic situation. It's not just an improvement for drift cars or for vintage cars that oversteer constantly; any time the car moves around on the tires it feels slightly different from before. To me, it's a positive change, it's clearer what the car is doing, and I have heard similarly positive comments from testers. Nonetheless, I am not omniscient, I have not driven all these cars in real life, it's up to you to decide whether it improves your game or gives you better sim feeling the rubber or what. Modifying games to improve the FFB is a fine tradition starting with some extremely thorough efforts in rfactor1, and this is no different (maybe a bit easier to install).

I will note that it slightly increases max forces when cornering so if you have stuff set up to barely clip, you'll need an adjustment downward in global ffb mult.

Range Compression

Range compression 100% - 100% is the "default off" of this effect
[ ] Range compression assist - check to convert cars' "steer assist" into range compression.

New FFB Tweak available as of 0.1.53. The name comes from the audio world, where dynamic range compression means bringing up the quiet sounds while leaving loud sounds at their original volume. This is a much more second derivative friendly version of the Gamma effect.

The percentage is straightforward: Set it to how much you want to multiply small forces. Or adjust it in sync with your overall gain if you want to maintain the level of small forces and change large forces. For example, 200% compression + 50% gain = original 100% on small forces, larger forces decrease. If you're curious, the curve at the point of maximum force is simply the inverse, 200% compression will cause large forces 50% of the original delta in force. But in combination with 50% gain, you're moving the original maximum force downward and the ceiling before the game clips is much higher.

Think of this like power steering: you only want it to assist the heavy forces and give you maximum feel of the light forces.

This is very much an "adjust to taste" thing, it operates smoothly enough that you're safe running it upward of 300%, and I have seen IRL data indicating that manufacturers effectively go as high as 600% in power steering systems, when they want to bring 20+N forces down to a comfortable 2-3N.

Steer assist is a built in per-car feature of AC that applies a gamma function to that car's FFB. If you check Range compression assist, then FFB Tweaks will calculate an appropriate range compression adjustment, and disable steer assist. This should give you a far more normal FFB feeling (no weird bumps around center) while retaining the original goal of giving high downforce cars enough low-speed FFB to be drivable.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Then it should be in the wheel driver and not the game. Makes no sense to make the game’s output less realistic.
Ideally sim should output signal ready for wheel consumption with very little post processing massaging.
But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including sim developer, and Kunos traditionally seem to stick to that formula.
Plus, I am not aware of any wheel drivers that can simulate "dynamic" damper.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of CSP 0.1.53 the strength slider is outdated. A calculation using the suspension geometry now provides the right precession-based force for each car.
I always wanted to ask this: Does this scale with anything, like FFB gain? What I mean is, does the FFB Gyro output the same force on 100% FFB gain as on 35%, or does it multiply down?

Ideally sim should output signal ready for wheel consumption with very little post processing massaging.
But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including sim developer, and Kunos traditionally seem to stick to that formula.
Plus, I am not aware of any wheel drivers that can simulate "dynamic" damper.
The sim should output the correct torque to the wheel driver. The wheel driver is essentially a PID controller that needs to find a way to match that output (if it was perfect, you would never, ever get oscillation). The sim should output physically correct forces, the wheel driver should figure out whatever it needs to do to use them.

Yeah, like a rack in a 2021 MB maybe.
I drive about 100 laps a year on the ring in a real car, with a real steeringrack and so i know what i feel when i drive there.
Both gyro's have their pros and cons but overall the kunos gyro feels better for me.
Out of curiosity, is this a car with or without powersteering?

I always wanted to ask this: Does this scale with anything, like FFB gain? What I mean is, does the FFB Gyro output the same force on 100% FFB gain as on 35%, or does it multiply down?
It's a physics-based thing (it just gets added to the forces at the rack), so it scales. With Cphys cars it's actually added to the force sum of the car, but for vanilla compatibility that didn't make sense (so it's only a FFB thing for those).

Tried this FFB Tweaks GYRO properly over a long period of time today with quite a few cars and I like it, I like it a lot - more precise and natural feeling than the Kunos GYRO and another bonus is my TS PC wheel feels smoother with it somehow!? The only downside is that using either GYRO you lose a little bit of road feel but the benefits of this CSP GYRO outweigh the loss.

*Only using the CSP GYRO i.e not using the macpherson strut, nor range compression - the latter haven't tried it as not sure what it does for my sort of wheel tbh

Anyhoo - thanks guys for this - sticking with it!

Last edited:
I feel exactly the same way, and also using the same wheel.

As a track-maker, I am particularly sensitive to road feel through the wheel, and whilst FFB-Tweaks gives me a much better sense of how the car is behaving, I feel that I lose some of the fine road noise sensations. These settings in CM seem to give me the same feeling as stock AC, but with the extra benefits that FFB-Tweaks offer:

1634831860860.png

As a track-maker, I am particularly sensitive to road feel through the wheel, and whilst FFB-Tweaks gives me a much better sense of how the car is behaving, I feel that I lose some of the fine road noise sensations. These settings in CM seem to give me the same feeling as stock AC, but with the extra benefits that FFB-Tweaks offer:

View attachment 511976
Sim wheels generally offer too much "roadfeel" anyway, although I guess for development it can be good to have.

Turn the MacPherson strut tweak on, if you have it off, any Cphys cars with realistic strut geometry (ie: mine) will have wrong FFB. The mechanical trail line is from STRUT_CAR to LBJ IRL, not from strut top to bottom like KS coded it.

It won't do anything to cars that have the LBJ and STRUT_TYRE aligned ie: vanilla cars, cars where the strut bottom and LBJ are merged etc.

Sim wheels generally offer too much "roadfeel" anyway, although I guess for development it can be good to have.

Turn the MacPherson strut tweak on, if you have it off, any Cphys cars with realistic strut geometry (ie: mine) will have wrong FFB. The mechanical trail line is from STRUT_CAR to LBJ IRL, not from strut top to bottom like KS coded it.

It won't do anything to cars that have the LBJ and STRUT_TYRE aligned ie: vanilla cars, cars where the strut bottom and LBJ are merged etc.
Will turn on the MacPherson strut then, have a number of cars with your physics so that's good enough for moi

View attachment 511976

Mm... 90% range compression - I'll try it later on today. Thanks

If you only use good cars then there is no reason to ever have it off. Is it not default on?
I switched FFB Tweaks off after trying it before as for some reason when I was doing the first right hander on Monza, when hitting the curb (bad driver) I would get race cancelled just like that. I switched off FFB Tweaks and never had the problem again but that was on CSP 1.75 I think (maybe 1.74). But I decided to have another go today and I've been using it today all day and no race cancelled with 1.76 preview 1 whatsoever - but been doing so with MacPherson off as for some reason I got it in my head that may have been the culprit but tbh I can't remember what car it was (think a Kunos car but not sure if front or rear wheeler) and it probably wasn't the problem. Anyway - gonna stick it back on now

Hi all, any fanatec 2.5 users? I find CSP 1:60 version to be quite calm but when I try the version 1:75 it gets a lot more harder and oscillation on bumpy straights. I use 65 gain etc. Any recommendations? Lower the range compression? But yes ffb tweaks certainly makes you feel rubbery

Not quite sure, but I think lowering the compression makes the big curbs for example more of a thump whereas highering it lessens the thump on big curbs and instead makes the small subtle bumps on small curbs stronger. I could be totally wrong am still playing around with settings.

To you TSPC owners what combo track/car are you using for your testing?
Curious as i have had this wheel for years, had activated the kunos gyro also years sgo and was quite happy with it
But i am prepared to test more of these FFB tweaks options like you guys are doing
Thanks a lot

Not quite sure, but I think lowering the compression makes the big curbs for example more of a thump whereas highering it lessens the thump on big curbs and instead makes the small subtle bumps on small curbs stronger. I could be totally wrong am still playing around with settings.
Thanks mate. Im sticking to the kunos gyro. Much more stable for my wheel and shoulders and wrists lol.

To you TSPC owners what combo track/car are you using for your testing?
Curious as i have had this wheel for years, had activated the kunos gyro also years sgo and was quite happy with it
But i am prepared to test more of these FFB tweaks options like you guys are doing
Thanks a lot
I might suggest that people use something like Some1's NSX (Maybe with the hotfix preferably, to get the latest version) because it has a manual rack, is accurate and uses Cphys' FFB stuff.

If you use a KS car you're likely using a car with a powersteered rack and geometry that isn't accurate (For some reason steering geometries in KS cars can be incredibly off) so you might get some weird FFB behavior just due to that. Most mods aren't that great either.

Besides, SAT isn't exactly correct in vanilla AC to begin with so you will get a very sudden and early dropoff in steering force mid-corner and you might be inclined to adjust for that.

Of course this might mean that you need separate settings for standard and accurate content, but at least you will find out if it's the wheel doing something weird or the car.

I might suggest that people use something like Some1's NSX (Maybe with the hotfix preferably, to get the latest version) because it has a manual rack, is accurate and uses Cphys' FFB stuff.
Hi.
I expect you've covered this elsewhere, but do I need to enable anything other than the gyro to get the Cphys' stuff working? I'd like to give it a try.

Hi.
I expect you've covered this elsewhere, but do I need to enable anything other than the gyro to get the Cphys' stuff working? I'd like to give it a try.
No, you don't even need to enable the gyro if you don't want it.

The car has has "VERSION=extended-2" in the car.ini, which means that to begin with it will crash if you try to launch it without CSP and that Cphys is activate and cannot be turned off without changing that line.

Just have CSP preferably 1.74+ (Some old versions do not support gyro/SAT/all of the tire changes) installed and that's it, just run the car. No need to check any "use extended data" boxes or anything.

No, you don't even need to enable the gyro if you don't want it.

The car has has "VERSION=extended-2" in the car.ini, which means that to begin with it will crash if you try to launch it without CSP and that Cphys is activate and cannot be turned off without changing that line.

Just have CSP preferably 1.74+ (Some old versions do not support gyro/SAT/all of the tire changes) installed and that's it, just run the car. No need to check any "use extended data" boxes or anything.
OK nice one, I'll give it a go.
Thanks.

Google translate:
Good afternoon.
The problem is disabling most of the CSP functions. From CSP I only need FFB Tweaks. Improved graphics and so on greatly reduces my FPS (I have a weak computer). The problem is that even if all CSP functions are disabled, except for FFB tweaks, the weather, textures, etc. will still change. Is there any way to disable everything except FFB tweaks?

Добрый день.
Проблема в отключении большинства функций CSP. Из CSP мне нужен только FFB Tweaks. Улучшенная графика и тд сильно снижает мой FPS (у меня слабый компьютер). Проблема в том, что даже если отключены все функции CSP, кроме FFB tweaks, то всё равно меняется погода, текстуры и тд. Есть какой-нибудь способ отключить вообще всё, кроме FFB tweaks?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.