read more: FFB Tweaks

I've worked with x4fab to add a new feature to the Custom Shaders Patch (as of 0.1.51) and the description is fairly brief so I thought it's worth going into a bit more detail about what this does.

7hNkrdT.png

Gyro Implementation

[ ] Active check to enable
Strength 25% adjust effect strength
AC has an "Experimental Gyro" FFB effect whose purpose was adding gyroscopic effects to the steering. It never lost the experimental tag and all it's generally recommended for is damping down oscillations on direct drive wheels.
This is that, developed slightly further based on my understanding of the nature of gyroscopic forces. I have a pretty solid case for making this change, and I believe this force exists in actual cars, and AC's original experimental gyro does not.

The developed version still suits the purpose of damping oscillations, but more importantly it decouples the body from the front wheels - so if the front wheels are pointing in a direction and the body moves around them, no gyroscopic precession happens, and no force is generated. Concretely, what we're talking about here is oversteer - on the original experimental gyro, the force acts counter to self-alignment during oversteer. With this new implementation, self-alignment is allowed to occur freely, or, if the oversteer is so quick that the wheels can't self-align, it'll actually push in the direction of alignment.

25% is simply equivalent to the original force multiplier used on experimental gyro when merging it with other FFB forces. Ultimately, the same as the other amplification ffb effects like road and slip effect, the slider is available to magnify it if your hardware's limitations are obscuring the effect.
As of CSP 0.1.53 the strength slider is outdated. A calculation using the suspension geometry now provides the right precession-based force for each car.
The description is a little bit misleading; this replaces "Experimental Gyro" so disabling it is superfluous, if this is Active, experimental gyro is not. Still, it won't hurt to disable experimental gyro and be certain it's off.

Now that I've said what the intent is, I will also note the following: this changes FFB in pretty much every dynamic situation. It's not just an improvement for drift cars or for vintage cars that oversteer constantly; any time the car moves around on the tires it feels slightly different from before. To me, it's a positive change, it's clearer what the car is doing, and I have heard similarly positive comments from testers. Nonetheless, I am not omniscient, I have not driven all these cars in real life, it's up to you to decide whether it improves your game or gives you better sim feeling the rubber or what. Modifying games to improve the FFB is a fine tradition starting with some extremely thorough efforts in rfactor1, and this is no different (maybe a bit easier to install).

I will note that it slightly increases max forces when cornering so if you have stuff set up to barely clip, you'll need an adjustment downward in global ffb mult.

Range Compression

Range compression 100% - 100% is the "default off" of this effect
[ ] Range compression assist - check to convert cars' "steer assist" into range compression.

New FFB Tweak available as of 0.1.53. The name comes from the audio world, where dynamic range compression means bringing up the quiet sounds while leaving loud sounds at their original volume. This is a much more second derivative friendly version of the Gamma effect.

The percentage is straightforward: Set it to how much you want to multiply small forces. Or adjust it in sync with your overall gain if you want to maintain the level of small forces and change large forces. For example, 200% compression + 50% gain = original 100% on small forces, larger forces decrease. If you're curious, the curve at the point of maximum force is simply the inverse, 200% compression will cause large forces 50% of the original delta in force. But in combination with 50% gain, you're moving the original maximum force downward and the ceiling before the game clips is much higher.

Think of this like power steering: you only want it to assist the heavy forces and give you maximum feel of the light forces.

This is very much an "adjust to taste" thing, it operates smoothly enough that you're safe running it upward of 300%, and I have seen IRL data indicating that manufacturers effectively go as high as 600% in power steering systems, when they want to bring 20+N forces down to a comfortable 2-3N.

Steer assist is a built in per-car feature of AC that applies a gamma function to that car's FFB. If you check Range compression assist, then FFB Tweaks will calculate an appropriate range compression adjustment, and disable steer assist. This should give you a far more normal FFB feeling (no weird bumps around center) while retaining the original goal of giving high downforce cars enough low-speed FFB to be drivable.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

It takes speed into account the same way as the original (force is proportional to tire inertia times speed), the only reason I can come up with that it would seem constant is that since cornering force is about constant (1G lateral or whatever regardless of speed), the rate of yaw is exactly inversely proportional to speed and results in an equal amount of force.
Guess I slightly misread your original explanation on discord, not vehicle speed, wheelspeed.
If you turn this on, vanilla gyro is forced off, cause it’s the same function with a bugfix for the coordinate system it uses. it still damps ffb, but the actual amount varies depending what the car’s doing as a whole instead of just related to wheelspeed. so effectively it’s still the gyro force that makes front wheels want to keep going the direction they’re pointing. but in practice it damps over/understeer forces much less now

With some high grip cars like DTM it's almost impossible to turn wheel when cornering with this on, and forget hairpins.

• Deleted member 197115

Not sure if that helps any, but after playing with this again today discovered that gyro stabilization on straightaways doesn't work that well either.
Was driving BMW Z4 GT3 and after swinging wheel side to side it couldn't self tame and just kept oscillating with increasing amplitude, when with original gyro it was calming down pretty quickly, no matter what. Was using default 25% srength.
Guess at certain wheel angles new gyro starts acting in opposite direction to the original, making oscillation worse.

New loadcell setting in ffb tweaks csp 1.78 - nice. Anyone else using the setting on t-lcm brake pedal and what are their conclusions? I wonder if adjusting it is tied in to the ffb adjustments of the ffb tweaks themselves. Will mess around a little and will report back...
Pretty sure that's for cars that are using the object based brake system. I would likely not use it for vanilla style cars or if you don't know what you're doing.

Nah, developing the other suspension extension gave me the understanding of how CSP works so I could implement it, but it stands separately as a thing I felt was missing in general just about since gyro got added.

Sound really awesome!

Since you have some insight I have a question for you:
I've read that for the Gyro effect to become active at all, you need to set the minimum damper level to more than 0%.
I get that you need the normal damper ffb channel to be active (100% for me) but why the minimum damper level?

Question therefore: Do we need to set the minimum damper level to +0% for this new csp gyro stuff?

I tried the new FFB extension out yesterday, 15% feels really very good on my SimuCube 2. I does bring a bit better feeling for how the car is behaving to AC.

Sound really awesome!

Since you have some insight I have a question for you:
I've read that for the Gyro effect to become active at all, you need to set the minimum damper level to more than 0%.
I get that you need the normal damper ffb channel to be active (100% for me) but why the minimum damper level?

Question therefore: Do we need to set the minimum damper level to +0% for this new csp gyro stuff?
That I know of, damper level is only used for when you're sitting still and try to turn the wheel. Minimum damper above 0% just adds constant damping all the time, unrelated to anything physics.

The new version definitely does not need it set to any particular value and I'm pretty sure the old experimental gyro is not affected by it either.

Last edited:
That I know of, damper level is only used for when you're sitting still and try to turn the wheel. Minimum damper above 0% just adds constant damping all the time, unrelated to anything physics.
Thanks you so much for clarifying! I always wondered why you'd need constant damping for the Gyro to become active..
Putting it to 0% and gonna test your new thingy soon!

So I set this up last night but didn't get a chance to try it out until just now. Wow! Running FFB Clip with this new feature active and just did a lap of Nordschliefe in the Porsche 911 GT America and it's very obvious, in a ****ing good way! I can fee when the car is going to break loose so much better now. Can't wait to try it out some more on other cars tonight.

@Stereo
Hello
First thanks for the great works
I have a question
For wheel like Thrustmaster - Fanatec what is the best value
For my DD Simucube 1 i have this setting
What about additional postprocessing and what is the function
Sans titre.jpg

I have used FFClip for a long time but I no longer use it.
Only the Lut file
Will you develop more functions to replace the FFB and management directly by the Shader Light Patch

Thank you for answeer
Best regards
Homed

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 681
I try to avoid going too black and white on "AC is wrong, this is right"
Fair enough...
Concretely, what we're talking about here is oversteer - on the original experimental gyro, the force acts counter to self-alignment during oversteer. With this new implementation, self-alignment is allowed to occur freely, or, if the oversteer is so quick that the wheels can't self-align, it'll actually push in the direction of alignment.
...but this makes it sound pretty darn binary that the vanilla AC effect is just plain wrong.

Anyway, I really like the sound of this. It's the first thing I've seen that actually makes me want to try the CSP. (I seem to recall that you don't have to use CM to get CSP working)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.