RDRC S9 Round 2 - Rally Sweden (15th February - 21st February 2021)

Neither have I. But my friend @Jose Vilas recommended me to check out a guy on youtube that has made setups for all cars in all locations (one video per car, with timestamps for each location). I found out it was worth spending the 5 minutes just copying the settings for Monte-Carlo and giving it a try. At the very least the gearing will be right (already found it essential in Sweden!), but overall the car has become easier to drive.

So if you've got five minutes, here you go:
:thumbsup:

We are also using these setups for the Lancer, however, Sweden and now Argentinia as well seem so be a lot too hard on damping and springs. Not sure if a game update borked the setups at some point, but as they are they are kind of undrivable due to not being able to see the road anymore from all the bumps (and the car just flying straight through bumpy sections, instead of driving).

We are also using these setups for the Lancer, however, Sweden and now Argentinia as well seem so be a lot too hard on damping and springs. Not sure if a game update borked the setups at some point, but as they are they are kind of undrivable due to not being able to see the road anymore from all the bumps (and the car just flying straight through bumpy sections, instead of driving).
Another Lancer driver here. For Sweden i too noticed that his setups are way too difficult to drive as i had no control over the bumps. I found that when it comes to spring rate and the bump settings, doing the opposite of what he is doing, makes the car feel a lot better. I would suggest doing that and then tinkering a bit to find the right balance.

The setups from this guy are ok but they need a special driving-style. Not everyone drives that way...

I use some of his settings, but not the whole setusp anymore. I tried them and separated what to use (for me) and what not. That, again, costs a bit of time...

Regarding @Ole Marius Myrvold : Would be great if people could be forced to do the whole rally in one sitting. Of course, some people can't do that and that's ok. In the end it's just hobby. But I run some other DR2 championships and in one class there is a driver, that does one stage per day. So I think he trains this special stage every day to perform right when he goes online. And that sucks as it's more a hotlap-competition than a rally. A long rally needs more concentratgion, that's the challenge.
Look at Sweden in the Group A. Paul and me finished the rally both in one sitting. I was fatser than Paul but our motto is alwyas to drive at 90-95% but make it to the finish without major mistakes. Not taking the full risk. There are other people that are much faster on some stages (Can be seen in the current tables) but they don't make it to the end without major accidents or even get a DNF and in the end I'm faster than them.

It's a bit sad that so many people compete in a championship but taking part in the community is the part where they quit. They are just here for the fame and glory of being the fastest, not for writing posts or sharing screenshots. (Will do a recap of our Sweden runs tonight or tomorrow...)

Would be great if people could be forced to do the whole rally in one sitting. Of course, some people can't do that and that's ok. In the end it's just hobby. But I run some other DR2 championships and in one class there is a driver, that does one stage per day. So I think he trains this special stage every day to perform right when he goes online. And that sucks as it's more a hotlap-competition than a rally. A long rally needs more concentratgion, that's the challenge.

I agree a lot with this, but I think a compromise would be each leg / day of the rally in one sitting. I rally in VR as it's much more fun, but very intense and tiring and getting to the end of the Monte I was making a lot of mistakes. I intend to do this with Sweden and take a break at the services.

I agree a lot with this, but I think a compromise would be each leg / day of the rally in one sitting. I rally in VR as it's much more fun, but very intense and tiring and getting to the end of the Monte I was making a lot of mistakes. I intend to do this with Sweden and take a break at the services.

Also a good idea, yes. Of course there are people that can‘t hold the concentration for such a long rally for certain reasons and they should compete, too. No doubt about it. As mentioned before, itl‘s hobby and we want to have fun. And everybody has to know for himself, how he wants to do it. Some wants it most realistic and drives with H-pattern when the original car had no shift-paddles. Ok, if he wants to.
I had a difficult surgery 3.5 years ago where I was put on a heart-lung-machine for some hours and since then my concentration goes home much earlier than before that operation. And I‘m just 42 now. But I deal with it and my motivation is to do the rallies in one sitting. I get slower when it comes to the end of a rally but that‘s my own challenge... So introducing the Power Stage in Season 9 is not an advantage for me :laugh:
I could do it with a break but I don‘t want to, that the spirit of a rally for me. And of course anyone else should do it as he wants it to do...

Rally Sweden done and dusted - Had a half spin on SS4 and I was forced to reverse, but otherwise a really clean and consistent driving throughout the event. Enjoyed it a lot!

No streaming? Would have loved to see it in action. That short Monte stage 12 seconds faster than P2 must have been absolutely mind blowing to watch :p

Also a good idea, yes. Of course there are people that can‘t hold the concentration for such a long rally for certain reasons and they should compete, too. No doubt about it. As mentioned before, itl‘s hobby and we want to have fun. And everybody has to know for himself, how he wants to do it. Some wants it most realistic and drives with H-pattern when the original car had no shift-paddles. Ok, if he wants to.
I had a difficult surgery 3.5 years ago where I was put on a heart-lung-machine for some hours and since then my concentration goes home much earlier than before that operation. And I‘m just 42 now. But I deal with it and my motivation is to do the rallies in one sitting. I get slower when it comes to the end of a rally but that‘s my own challenge... So introducing the Power Stage in Season 9 is not an advantage for me :laugh:
I could do it with a break but I don‘t want to, that the spirit of a rally for me. And of course anyone else should do it as he wants it to do...

I agree with this too, back in the day with RBR you could practice any of the stages as much as you wanted and you had an idea of what would be in the rally based on past events but the thing was the rallies were a mix of stages from diferent countries and they were never the same in 2 events so you had a bit of surprise even when you saw the roadbook for the event. The thing with Dirt rally both 1 and 2 is that there's a lot less stages and all rallies' stages take place in the same location.

This combined with a much bigger playerbase and a ton of oversights from the developers in the competition sense means that in the end there's a lot of people who are very good and have been min-maxing the stages and the setups (which are nowhere as complicated as other sims) for a long time making it effectively a kind of hotlapping competition made worse by the lack of rules, replays and some other measures to prevent things like this by Codemasters. Even the official esports competition was plagued by issues like these both times it was run afaik and the simcade (imo) physics & damage haven't helped this.

I'm not trying to say rbr is or was better or w/e I'm just commenting on how I've perceived the competitive aspect of Dirt Rally to be. My wish is that thanks to the EA merge and the WRC license they can come up with a game that takes the competitive aspect perhaps as seriously as the F1 game does. From what I've read they're very aware of all of this so here's hoping they bring us that great game we've been wishing for since 2004 lol Dirt Rally 1 was a great starting step.

probably because i never change anything in setup, never had either time or inclination to go into all that.

I run default setup as well, maybe changing gear ratio for some rallies, but that's it. Done this since the RBR days. I just dont have the interest in testing setups etc.
Same goes for circuit-racing, I change gear ratio, brake balance/pressure and engine mapping. That's it. I stay away from differentials, suspension, geometry etc. I just race :p

That would be the proper ideal in terms of DR. Get back the amount of stages one could have in DR1, where we could do rallies with more than 20 stages. That way we can emulate the real life rallies, and put in a possible "save and leave" points on the virtual end of the day. Because doing 20-odd stages in one sitting is too much!

20210217193734_1.jpg
20210217194755_1.jpg

Second stint completed.

Making it to second service is a small miracle :p
even with a loooong side slide on SS8 i managed to get a descent stage time :D

what a mess.
did day number two and three in one go but had only one good stage, the first one. in the dusk stage i lost my lights when i hit a bridge. it didn't feel so bad but it also damaged the radiator so my co told me at the beginning of the third stage to mind the engine, which i did. got everything pretty well repaired and started day three:
in an almost comic replay i did almost the same hit on maybe the same bridge pretty early in the first stage of the last day. lights didn't matter, but again the radiator was broken and on the last three stages the motor went into limp mode. i floated through the stages, mainly in fifth gear trying to not touch anything and to never rev beyond 4,000. somehow i made it through, but i lost probably around three extra minutes on those three stages, doo.
anyway: survived!
will check results every evening, currently 10th of 12.
here's a shot of the last meters with functioning lighting:

A210BD2DDE9639807090AF5176A56072D0A3C1C2

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back