RDRC S9 Round 2 - Rally Sweden (15th February - 21st February 2021)

Well, had my RDRC-3 run on the little 5 Turbo. I'm usually terribly slower than avg on Sweden, more so with this short MR car (or the Stratos) that scares me on the fast sections while hovercrafting on snow.

It was a bit of a relief to set the first times without any pressure except for the first two stages "against" Daniel's times. Without much surprise, on slower zones I recovered some time, only to lose it all on the faster sections where I seriously wished for something more stable to step on 5th gear. If @Daniel Monteiro goes back to the snow soon, I hope he has the same fun chasing my times on a very PT turbo battle :laugh: .

I was particularly weary of the fast Hamra stages (the first half where ugly crashes can happen), but these went event-less except for my :sleep: pace. In the end it was in Ransbysäter on both S5 and S12 where I spun twice by grazing inner snowbanks when braking unbalanced in fast sections, and lost some extra time by having to reverse - lucky enough without damage to the front. Specially on S12, right at the beginning I struggled a lot with grip to boost my way out of corners.

See you all at the hotel, and stay/drive safe! :coffee:

Last edited:
pracci done. find it hard to concentrate on the co-driver calling shots even though it's even more important here, where everything looks pretty much the same.
cannot get over how well codemasters has done the snowbanks. i remember when they first came out in this version in Dirt Rally after some weeks, we were all amazed, first snowbanks in any game i have played that feel sort of real.

Speaking of pace notes... Is there a way to invert the turn severity so 5/6 in the tightest and 1 is flat out?!

Just saw that there was an update, which surprisingly changes the rally sweden. They seem to have made some cutting restrictions from what Ive read in the patch notes.

Im more focused on staying on track anyway, but thought thatd be interesting to know.

Version 1.17
February 16, 2021
Locations:
  • Höljes, Sweden - Adjusted track limits to prevent significant corner-cutting in rare instances.

Miscellaneous:
  • Adjusted performance of dynamic trackside signage.
  • Minor bug fixes and stability improvements (none notable enough to be highlighted).

This is currently the final scheduled update for DiRT Rally 2.0.
link

Last edited:
Service B Report

Suprisingly quick on SS1 & SS2 with 2 fastest times in the RDRC-3 class uptil now, I'm pretty sure these won't hold but its nice to see anyways. Hit something in the snowbank late in SS2 so decided to take it a little easier in the rest of the stages as more than half of the kms of the first loop were still left before service. Had a small low speed spin in one of the slower corners on SS4 just clipping the inside bank, cost me a few seconds but nothing major. SS5 was going really well until I had a bit of a mental lapse and decided to go all in big balls on Colins Crest this ended in a small roll, some damage and some lost time. However I still finished with a time faster than the nearest opponent at the moment. The damage could all be fixed within the time limit and at the time of writing I am still leading the rally in class, by about 6 sec.

Although my first goal is always to actually finish the rally without any major problems it is really fun to actually be battling with someone for stages times, for whatever position it may end up to be.

Just saw that there was an update, which surprisingly changes the rally sweden. They seem to have made some cutting restrictions from what Ive read in the patch notes.

Im more focused on staying on track anyway, but thought thatd be interesting to know.

Nothing to worry about in our case, as the update was done to the RallyCross track in Höljes, and not to the forest rally stages in Värmland :thumbsup:

SS5 was going really well until I had a bit of a mental lapse and decided to go all in big balls on Colins Crest this ended in a small roll, some damage and some lost time. However I still finished with a time faster than the nearest opponent at the moment.
Please don't take my very temporary best stage times as a reference for anything remotely fast :laugh:. Still glad if my times are just a bit bellow your tier to provide some fun chasing them. :thumbsup:
As mentioned on my previous post, on both Ransbysäter stages I had a fluke and had to reverse back at different spots. IIRC on S5 it was a bit before the Red Bull style arch, so a lot of time lost for a very fast zone.

GL!

Update: I expected to be about 25-30s slower in avg than top pace per each 4 sectors, and now that fast times are being posted, that assumption wasn't that far off the mark.

Last edited:
Please don't take my very temporary best stage times as a reference for anything remotely fast :laugh:. Still glad if my times are just a bit bellow your tier to provide some fun chasing them. :thumbsup:
As mentioned on my previous post, on both Ransbysäter stages I had a fluke and had to reverse back at different spots. IIRC on S5 it was a bit before the Red Bull style arch, so a lot of time lost for a very fast zone.

GL!

Without any offence I wasn't seeing your time as a reference of being fast( I know my own capabilities and being really fast is not it) it was more that I felt really scared at times, I suprisingly didn't crash and it's always nice to then see your time not being the worst. I totally expect my end position to be quite low( given were only with 16) but with some luck I hope to maybe get a P10 in the end.

Last edited:
End of rally report

Unfortunately rolled the car hard on the early sections of SS8 quite some time loss there as the car was stuck 90° in between the snow banks, drove the damaged car as fast as I could through the stage to limit time loss. Car could just about be fixed in service so a completely "as new" car for the final loop. SS9 Idk how but this may well have been one of my best stages ever, I got totally into a rhythm and felt so fast and in control , at least the best stage I have done with the Sierra and in RDRC.( Looking at the leaderboards it could have been much faster still).

Unfortunately, I could not take that through to the next stages which were the worst of my rally. Heavy impact on landing after the reverse colins crest on SS10, I think damaged the suspension as the car handled different afterwards and was quite a handful. Had a few more spins on that stage, SS11 made an excursion into the crowd, which led to a reset to the track and a penalty, and later on I caught a snowbank which turned my car upon its side, hit nothing but had to use the recover button to get going again. Where I had a lead of 36 seconds on @AlleyViper after SS9 it had shrunk to only 4 tenths of a second by SS11.... Knowing he had a difficult SS12 I knew I just needed to finish the stage cleanly to beat him which turned into my main goal this rally..

Overall I am quite happy with how it went, without the "crash" on SS10 I think my end time could have been 45 secs to a minute faster nonetheless I look forward to see how the rest of you do, wish you all good luck on the stages and we'll see how the results turn out!

Congrats on reaching your goal and current lead :thumbsup:

OTH, I overdone my caution on the S9 you rocketed through. I ended nearly with the same time with clear view on a fresh car vs. the same stage just done previously at night with worn tyres. The only damage it got me was probably done by disgruntled spectators throwing me stuff.

On S12 you should have noticed a big chunk of time gained me right at the first sectors, not even accounting for the later spin. I struggled for some time with grip, either spinning in 2nd or 3rd without gaining much speed going straight (or nearly halting to save snaps when accelerating a bit too soon on the small MR out of corners). It could have been a re-worn gearbox adding to tyres and track degradation.

Last edited:
brilliant magazine, thx for the positive feedback on us old and slow but reliable chaps ;) will try to stay on the track again at Sweden. Two of the long stages as pracci tonight will have to be enough.

Totally forgot to reply here. RDRC have always been about having fun, and hopefully have a social group of people driving. Of course, the aspect of RBR where we drove at the same time (spread on some different timezone-sessions) is lost in DiRT, but still. The core of RDRC is the people who show up season after season regardless of results (just think of the guys in the MINI Cooper S last season!). While there was a natural focus on the big names and top teams in the first couple of magazines, I didn't want you, Tomas or other RDRC-veterans to feel like you don't matter anymore :)

yeah, starting at the same time and then having to finish before the next stage started, loved it. didn't we always know our times compare to all others after each stage? it meant you had to do the whole rally in one go, from eight in the evening till eleven or so, loved it.

first day done, always last in the standings and still moved up from 20th to 18th, haha. No matter which rally game, snow has always been my blessing and my curse: i usually keep the car sort of intact, but i'm usually even slower than at other locations. probably because i never change anything in setup, never had either time or inclination to go into all that. about a minute adrift of the next guy after day one and a whooping 4min. 45 to leader, who in turn beats the **** out of everyon else it seems. had one 180 degree pirouette on last stage and one scary moment stage2 when i hit some banners and saw out of the corner of my eye they had covered a solid bridge which i then missed by digital inches. phew, that would have hurt. apart from that: clean and slow.

yeah, starting at the same time and then having to finish before the next stage started, loved it. didn't we always know our times compare to all others after each stage? it meant you had to do the whole rally in one go, from eight in the evening till eleven or so, loved it.

Yup. We could even compare split-times after each stage, there was some advantages to that as well (though, it's easier for people to participate now).
I do wish it would be possible to force people to do the whole rally, or at least certain amount of stages in one go now as well.

probably because i never change anything in setup, never had either time or inclination to go into all that.

Neither have I. But my friend @Jose Vilas recommended me to check out a guy on youtube that has made setups for all cars in all locations (one video per car, with timestamps for each location). I found out it was worth spending the 5 minutes just copying the settings for Monte-Carlo and giving it a try. At the very least the gearing will be right (already found it essential in Sweden!), but overall the car has become easier to drive.

So if you've got five minutes, here you go:
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Somewhere, deep in the cold forests of Sweden.
A local hunter heard a sound resembling the call of a moose far far away..

He carefully walked towards the sound, trough deep snow, in a freezing wind..
As he came closer to the origin of the sound, he stopped next to some strange tracks in the snow..
Suddenly the "moose" jumped out of the forest!

20210216234125_1.jpg

Hey guys! :D
So here we are again!

I just drove the first stint of this rally, and it could have been better so far :p
SS1 was Ok
SS2 was terrible, jumped into blindness due to the sun and hit the snowbank and got a puncture on the left front tire.. lost heaps of time, but kept on going!
SS3 and SS4 was ok
SS5 was FAST! :D
Really got some good pace there!

So after five stages i am kinda ok with the result, but i am not happy with that puncture..

20210216230543_1.jpg
20210216230552_1.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere, deep in the cold forests of Sweden.
A local hunter heard a sound resembling the call of a moose far far away..

He carefully walked towards the sound, trough deep snow, in a freezing wind..
As he came closer to the origin of the sound, he stopped next to some strange tracks in the snow..
Suddenly the "moose" jumped out of the forest!

View attachment 446151

Hey guys! :D
So here we are again!

I just drove the first stint of this rally, and it could have been better so far :p
SS1 was Ok
SS2 was terrible, jumped into blindness due to the sun and hit the snowbank and got a puncture on the left front tire.. lost heaps of time, but kept on going!
SS3 and SS4 was ok
SS5 was FAST! :D
Really got some good pace there!

So after five stages i am kinda ok with the result, but i am not happy with that puncture..

View attachment 446152View attachment 446153
Good thing you got practice changing tires in the snow before this event!

What, too soon?

Speaking of pace notes... Is there a way to invert the turn severity so 5/6 in the tightest and 1 is flat out?!

I've been trying to solve the same issue lately. Not in-game but there is this app called "DiRTy pacenotes". Yet it appears to force you to create all the pacenotes from scratch, which is a bit too much for me at the moment.

If someone would have simply inverted the gradation of the turns - that would be awesome. Would love to steal those pacenotes of you! :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%