RDRC S8 Round 1 - Rally Monte-Carlo (23rd - 29th January 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture 83.jpg

Overcome Monte Carlo rally, I have !!!

After a very bad Saturday, I manage to finally finish the rally.

Storyline:
- during the week I made my first 2 stages, they were not perfect but was happy with that
- come home late Friday night and Saturday morning I wake up to Nvidia and windows update, did both and something was wrong from the get go, RaceRoom was a bit laggy as it was never before so was Dirt, but did an RR fewer graphics settings and away I went for practice.
- Saturday afternoon stage 7 game crash, the game went to taskbar without any reason, couldn't bring it back, I was still hearing the car and inputs worked. Extremely frustrated.
- reinstall and another reinstall, no subscription or anything, Dirt was laggier than before and found out that I need to start from 1st stage.........ARGH>...
- Saturday night found out that the lag was from recording with Nvidia app so I had to stop recording, or at least that seemed to work, did 8 stages back to back and went to bed.
- Sunday early morning, woke up and fired up Dirt, forgot my best FFB settings but was happy with what I had, did a few practice runs of last stages but after 2-3 of them, I said, ****k-it need to finish this ****. Found out rhythm immediately and that 3ed gear on the Kadet is the TITS, using it for 2,3,4 degree corners constantly. Lost some 10sec I think on SS14 due to a spin, and **** myself quite a lot on the long stages as I was right on my limit:

• one time I did about 50m with two wheels on the stone snow covered wall before a hairpin;
  • one time at a 1 right with wooden guard rail entered too deep and my nose touched the wood and it broke but I exit the corner;
  • on one of the full night stages completely forgot about a hairpin brake way ****ing late from 5th gear and used my hall bottle of luck for this league in that corner, braked hard and in 3ed I just yanked the handbrake hard and hit the outside wall with the rear;
  • on a downhill full ice 2nd left you need to brake early and keep inside, braked late and forgot to shift in 2nd, was still in 4th car wasn't moving out of the corner
  • there is a Right 4 tightens to 1 with a fast section before it, have no idea how I made that corner cause I braked way too late, handbrake to the rescue;
  • and a tonne more of little spooks.
- an hour or less than that later, drenched in sweat and mentally tired I finished and was relieved more than anything, after each stage, I didn't check what time did I do or where I was just next-next-next, was in a frenzy and didn't want to lose that focus.
- I am very sad that I couldn't record anything, probably I am overdue with fresh windows install and maybe revert to win7, will wait for me M.2 hard drive so I can put it on that.

Thanks for everything RaceDepartment and all the guy's involved, from League administrators to every last participant this is by far the most enjoyable race session I had, even tho I didn't race anyone wheel to wheel.

Last edited:
Well looks like I've dropped outside the top 20 now and still over 12 hours left for people to do their runs.

Extremely disappointing really, was aiming for a top 20 at least out of this one and I haven't even managed to achieve that at what I feel is one of my stronger rallies. With Sweden being easily my weakest rally from what I can tell the next one will probably be even worse so my motivation has certainly taken a pretty major hit. Just not good enough really.

Just finished my rally and have to say that im totally impressed about your championship. It's really great work and I want to say thank you to the complete team for this fantastic preparation and organisation. Great work.:):)
My personal summary is that I can tell it's much ahead of my personal expectation. Personal best times on 8 of 17 Stages and more important, no stage was really bad.
This first event in Monte Carlo with the journey over 4 days was a lot of fun and sideway action with my Manta:p

Cu in Sweden.;)

7th in 2WD- and 99th overall with 13 hours to go. Pretty happy overall considering I had next to no practice and was using the stock setup.

Had a good 2 first stages on Monday night, no mistakes and was happy with my stage times (despite being 5 seconds down on the quickest 2WD-).
Tried to do the next 4 on Tuesday (bad idea as I'd had a long day) and resulting lost a load of time in Stage 3-6 with silly half spins on hairpins or riding snow banks.
Again mid week I had another session and went up to Stage 11, which while ok still had a number of mistakes. I was originally battling Navitori and R Tap but lost some time and Navitori was therefore about 30 seconds ahead just by driving clean I would assume. R Tap was also creeping away slowly.
Just done the last 6 stages and while I made mistakes on Stage 12 and 13 in the dark, the next few were promising after R Tap made a mistake, dropping him between myself and RacingIvysaur, who I'd been caught by after my mistakes on the night stages.
Going into the last stage there was about a tenth between myself and R Tap (!), but a good final stage and (what I presume) a mistake from R Tap confirmed my 7th position.

Obviously I might fall down further as others complete the rally but overall I'm happy. A wonderful championship and I'm so glad I signed up on Sunday night :)
Now I'm going to go for it properly, so a lot of practice is in store for Sweden. Bring it on!

View attachment 170060

Overcome Monte Carlo rally, I have !!!

After a very bad Saturday, I manage to finally finish the rally.

Storyline:
- during the week I made my first 2 stages, they were not perfect but was happy with that
- come home late Friday night and Saturday morning I wake up to Nvidia and windows update, did both and something was wrong from the get go, RaceRoom was a bit laggy as it was never before so was Dirt, but did an RR fewer graphics settings and away I went for practice.
- Saturday afternoon stage 7 game crash, the game went to taskbar without any reason, couldn't bring it back, I was still hearing the car and inputs worked. Extremely frustrated.
- reinstall and another reinstall, no subscription or anything, Dirt was laggier than before and found out that I need to start from 1st stage.........ARGH>...
- Saturday night found out that the lag was from recording with Nvidia app so I had to stop recording, or at least that seemed to work, did 8 stages back to back and went to bed.
- Sunday early morning, woke up and fired up Dirt, forgot my best FFB settings but was happy with what I had, did a few practice runs of last stages but after 2-3 of them, I said, ****k-it need to finish this ****. Found out rhythm immediately and that 3ed gear on the Kadet is the TITS, using it for 2,3,4 degree corners constantly. Lost some 10sec I think on SS14 due to a spin, and **** myself quite a lot on the long stages as I was right on my limit:

• one time I did about 50m with two wheels on the stone snow covered wall before a hairpin;
  • one time at a 1 right with wooden guard rail entered too deep and my nose touched the wood and it broke but I exit the corner;
  • on one of the full night stages completely forgot about a hairpin brake way ****ing late from 5th gear and used my hall bottle of luck for this league in that corner, braked hard and in 3ed I just yanked the handbrake hard and hit the outside wall with the rear;
  • on a downhill full ice 2nd left you need to brake early and keep inside, braked late and forgot to shift in 2nd, was still in 4th car wasn't moving out of the corner
  • there is a Right 4 tightens to 1 with a fast section before it, have no idea how I made that corner cause I braked way too late, handbrake to the rescue;
  • and a tonne more of little spooks.
- an hour or less than that later, drenched in sweat and mentally tired I finished and was relieved more than anything, after each stage, I didn't check what time did I do or where I was just next-next-next, was in a frenzy and didn't want to lose that focus.
- I am very sad that I couldn't record anything, probably I am overdue with fresh windows install and maybe revert to win7, will wait for me M.2 hard drive so I can put it on that.

Thanks for everything RaceDepartment and all the guy's involved, from League administrators to every last participant this is by far the most enjoyable race session I had, even tho I didn't race anyone wheel to wheel.
GG man, currently leading 2WD- with just over 12 hours to go. You're over 2 minutes 20 ahead of myself, currently 7th in class. Wow!

mr.c you forgot the bit about TALENT :)

(and yes, the outfit probably is worth a couple of tenths on each stage, especially the sweatband ...)
If I had any talent I wouldn't need so much practice, yes it must be some lurking around somewhere at the bottom of my ass but that is about it, in my personal case more than 70% is practice and simracing experience and dedication cause i'm a nut that way.
Yeah:)) outfit....:))

It's quite interesting to follow my own position on the PC leaderboard...hope to stay within the Top 100 as this is my first championship...
One question I couldn't find an answer to within the announcement:
What are the 2 stages in Sweden, that can be raced next week, for? The Rally at Sweden takes place from Feb. 13th.
And will these 2 stages count for the championship or are they just a kind of Shakedown to see my standing under all competitors?
Relaxed sunday to all of you...

What are the 2 stages in Sweden, that can be raced next week, for? The Rally at Sweden takes place from Feb. 13th.
And will these 2 stages count for the championship or are they just a kind of Shakedown to see my standing under all competitors?
Relaxed sunday to all of you...
Its for the way leagues work. If there is no follow up event. The results vanish the moment this week rally ends. By adding a event next week, this weeks stage times will be available.

Currently sitting in the service park after stage 13. Last time I looked I was still (only just!) in the points and so I'm not going to look again for a while :p
I will need to tackle the last four stages at some point soon - starting with the insane white-knuckle downhill ride of SS14 - but I suspect that this is going to cement my dropping out of the points so am putting that off too! :D
Am regretting my decision not to bother trying any custom setup for the Fiesta until after stage 8 - who'da thunk it but the stock setup turned out not to be so great after all... :rolleyes: This had a good effect on stage times after SS8 of course but bit of a shame that I let my tunnel vision get the better of me. (I suppose I should just be glad that I didn't stick to my original plan of starting the playing about with setups and FFB tuning in practice for Sweden!)

If I had any talent I wouldn't need so much practice, yes it must be some lurking around somewhere at the bottom of my ass but that is about it, in my personal case more than 70% is practice and simracing experience and dedication cause i'm a nut that way.
Yeah:)) outfit....:))
Talent is overrated, what matters is RESULTS. And you sir produce results. In my entire career all those with loads of talent but no hard work, Bad attitude and didn't practice got no where. Where as those with no talent but worked hard and practice intelligently their trade 8 times out of ten made it. Looks to me that you have what matters.

It's over. Thanks again to the organizers, it's been very proffesional, it really adds to the enjoyment. Glad i signed up. Finding myself 30 secs behind Mr C at stage 14 i figured might as well go for it, was able to beat him on two of the last four stages but was only able to claw back 10 secs. With 9 hours left anything can happen but looks like this round goes to Mr C. Congrats. Well done everyone, great turnout. Looking forward to the next rally event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes