RDRC S4 Round 7 - Rally Costa Brava (18th – 21st August)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if im not mistaken there is EU4 Today at the same 21:00 server time. you can joint that one mate.

Yeah I saw that session. But I'm working overtime today, 16 hour shift....so I knew I wouldn't make it back home in time. But not to worry, I went to bed last night for 3 hours, got up at 3am, done my rally, got back to bed about 5am. Slept till 7am, and got up for work. :)

I feel like a zombie! Lol. So anyways as I was still half asleep, it was a very slow start. Think I had done a full 180 by like turn 2 or 3 on stage 1. Too long on the handbrake. Took a while to get into a rhythm, but really this was not my best performance with regards to my speed. Just wanted to make it through and get some points. A handful of spins aside, I had no DNF's or CFH's. Reckon this might be my last chance at a good point scoring event this year. Looking at all the trouble everyone else had, I would love to see myself make it onto the overall podium. But I had no one to compare my times with so we'll wait and see.

Another great rally, had a lot of fun! Especially since I seem to be much stronger on sealed surfaces than on the slippery stuff. Thanks to the organisers, and good luck to those still to run!

So finally, this was my first rally without keyboard and first rally behind the G27-wheel. And the first rally with my "new" Impreza 2000. Not much practice before the rally, either with the wheel or the car. I definetely feel more comfortable and confident in fast parts as on Joux Plane. But I can´t say i´m in total control yet.

In the rally I tried to drive safe. But I made a lot o mistakes, mostly with lucky escapes.

I had to retire from SS5 after slamming into the trees, and at SS6 I destroyed the gearbox when I crashed into another tree. 2 or 3 CFHs and a half dozen spins or so...

Things can be better...

As I have seen people having all sorts of problem in this rally I hope to score some points and maybe gain some ground in the championship standings.

Thanks organizers!

Ok, new rally. New car!

SS1: Worked very well, but I did the "no no" thing with a RWD car. Ran off the road. Can't get on again. So - lost 45 sec on a CFH.
SS2: Just a tiny mistake on the last sector. The rest of the stage went puuurrrrrfect!
SS3: The car was finally a RWD - this was sliding around. It was fun, but slow. FWD-stage much!

Service: Happy so far, looking forward to the second rund.

SS4: Dry, it went very well. Nothing more to say. Happy! :)
SS5: Oh well, a mistake at the end of sector 2 stopped a perfect run. But still, pretty good.
SS6: Big roll and CFH. Meeeeh. It was ONE corner I decided to push a bit in, and that ended with a roll.

Service: Not too happy with the last CFH. But the rest has gone good.

SS7: FWD Stage deluxe! No mistakes. That's all I can ask for on this stage :p
SS8: Huge mistake. I think I lost the rally on this stage.
SS9: Good stage, no mistakes. Good speed. Wey! :D
SS10: LOL! LOL! I managed to ROLL the car twice by drifting... I ROLLED a VOLVO while drifting! TWICE!

Service: Meeeeeh - Not happy at all. Not going to win. With luck, getting 2nd!

SS11: Wey! Perfect!
SS12: Hups. Concentration just went a away. CFH
SS13: Three rolls when drifting :S
SS14: Rolled in T1. I now get why I've struggled!

Some RX friends of mine is running Volvo, they often have a high front, and a low rear, to help weight to the rear. That was my philosophy however, it seems like the suspension on the Volvo is way to soft for this. And it rolls when sliding/turning with such settings. DAMN.

Conclusion: This is a "could've been" rally. I was not far off some WRC cars on some stages. But made the crucial setup error, and lost it all.

My rally summary:

And the serious one:

ss01 - Bottomed out over the big jump towards the end and spun. Lost some time getting back around again.
ss02 - Veeeeery slow on this one, too safe maybe?
ss03 - Stil kinda slow, the car was very slippery here.

ss04 - Dammit! There is a tricky corner early on the stage, I decided to take it easy through that one. Took it too easy, had too much grip and cut the corner, and tumbeled down the slope. Will be 2 more interesting stages with the wheels in funny angles.
ss05 - Again! Dropped into a pothole which threw the car up in the air, down ont othe grass and straight into a lot of spectators... Blah...
ss06 - More attack on this one, and a reasonable time under the circumstances.

Day 1 - Bitterly disappointed by the 2 CFH's,throwing away a chance for a win like that...

ss07 - Understeered a lot here.
ss08 - Felt like a chicken here, easy to ruin the raly completely on this tage.
ss09 - This one was fast, allthough I lost the concentration a bit towards the end.
ss10 - Found some grass and braked hard to avoid hitting anything, but I did... And that ruined my gearbox...

ss11 - Maybe too slow again? Far to much brakes.
ss12 - That was slippery! I didn't even know that there was a Monte Carlo-mod for these stages :p
ss13 - Made it down, and it felt kinda fast. A video-moment on this stage with the double 2 right before the first sector.
ss14 - Just showing on this stage, okay time in the end.

Summary: Disappointed in myself again, still making all these silly mistakes that ruin any chance of a victory. Would like to win a rally this season before switching classes for the next one, but it looks impossible until I get a grip...

A nice rally overall, I like the cmbination of Tarmacmod on gravelstages. And one of these days I will pratice for a rally aswell... :p

Sorry but I didn't make it to this round. My internet keeps switching off and on.
I logged in just before the start and got disconnected just before stage 1. I got reconnected and did complete stage 2, then got disconnected before stage 3 and gave up.

Had an enjoyable evening on this rally. Loved most of the stages except Greenhills II- as i spun on both runs through. The first time i was wedged on the banking, did a CFH only to discover i'd simply left the hand-brake on! Arg! On the second run through, i left the road on a left-hander, but for some reason the car just had no traction, so i lost many seconds desperately wheelspinning on the grassy verge.I had a couple of other spins in the remaining stages, but nothing major to speak of.

Had a nice run through Diamond Creek II second time round, and scored a PB on the final SuperSpecial, but overall i'm glad to get through another rally without a retirement. Like Alasdair, i also found i was occasionally 10s+ slower than my practise stage times. This was especially noticeable in the second running of Spirkakim, as i felt i'd demolished my PB practise time, but ended up like 11s slower?! Quite strange.

Cheers Senad, Rick, Warren, Pete, Roy and anyone else that is involved in running this superb championship!

Sorry but I didn't make it to this round. My internet keeps switching off and on.
I logged in just before the start and got disconnected just before stage 1. I got reconnected and did complete stage 2, then got disconnected before stage 3 and gave up.

Do you have ADSL filters fitted on your phones?

I'm a little disappointed because I lost valuable points again after unlucky finish of the SS2 where I hit a metal fence and had to retire on SS3 losing about 5.5 minutes. :redface:
I almost did it again on SS5 but I managed to keep my engine safe.

To bad after a rally with no damage later on and no CFH. I only had some spins on SS1 at the end, three on SS6 where I was insecure with my driving and a big one on SS11 with a great save. :) I had some lucky moments with trees so maybe retiring one stage again was bound to happen.

On day two I started to have more fun with a car especially on SS7 where I had a great time drifting. First round I didn't wont to make any mistakes and I noticed that I'm gaining on Ross McGregor. Before round 2 I was down 1 minute so I decided to attack and put my WRC car in front of Ross's Production car. On SS11 I had that spin but it was a short stage to get some advantage so it didn't bother me. SS12 and SS13 where long enough for the job, so I pushed and tried to be clean with my lines so I don't get in trouble. I made it and got in front by 8 seconds so on the last stage I celebrated with some grate drifts for the spectators. :D

That was quite an enjoyable rally - thanks to all those involved in organizing!

I really wanted to get through without crashing or any DNFs, but that didn't quite go to plan... But I've identified some weaknesses and hence things to improve for the next rally, and in the mean time practice, practice, practice. 8th in class isn't too bad for a debut I suppose, but I really do need to work on keeping it on the road.

Congratulations to all the other competitors on finishing.

@Ole Marius Myrvold

I didn't know how much going from the Alpine to the Volvo would slow you down, but I didn't think it would be much.

Oh wait, the result are in...

WHAT?! I beat you? On tarmac?
I won the stage on my worst Diamond Creek run somehow. I did pretty good on SS1-3 where I had the broken suspension. Many congratulations to Ole Marius Myrvold for that great performance. It's amazing what you do with a RWD! Congrates also to Silvio and Sion for their quick times! Can't wait for the next round! Maybe I'll do next year...

EDIT: I'm just seeing I got in the top 10!
EDIT EDIT: I see Alasdair Beck's food poisoning didn't affect him too badly :thumbsup:

Funny how my times are good when I am dissatisfied with them :p Judging by 9 stagewins and a second position in class I really should be happy. But that DNF will haunt me as long as the CFH in the season opener :p

@Ole Marius Myrvold

I didn't know how much going from the Alpine to the Volvo would slow you down, but I didn't think it would be much.

Oh wait, the result are in...

WHAT?! I beat you? On tarmac?
I won the stage on my worst Diamond Creek run somehow. I did pretty good on SS1-3 where I had the broken suspension. Many congratulations to Ole Marius Myrvold for that great performance. It's amazing what you do with a RWD! Congrates also to Silvio and Sion for their quick times! Can't wait for the next round! Maybe I'll do next year...

EDIT: I'm just seeing I got in the top 10!
EDIT EDIT: I see Alasdair Beck's food poisoning didn't affect him too badly :thumbsup:

Hahahaha! :D I never tought I'd be treated like an alien! :D

But, well, I switched to the Volvo because there are many gravel events left. And the Alpine, kinda... sucks on gravel. But it is amazing on tarmac. So I was a bit unlucky there.

Anyway, you did a stellar job! And for me, it is good, that means that Sion didn't gain too much on me! :D

Provisional rally results have been posted -> http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...-brava-18th-–-21st-august.54088/#post-1209151

As usual, please let me know if you notice any mistakes.

Damn, I see retiring and not continuing was a bad idea... (I really thought that with 1 retirement I'd be out of the top 10, but that's past)

8 stage wins makes the record keep growing and I'm very very happy with the killer pace we had, I feel better in gravel so I hope a good result there, didn't really expect to have such nice times, we were leading when we retired :)

Thanks for the results Senad, congrats to the winners and everyone who participated :D

and Congrats Alasdair, yours was epic!!!! well done!

Thanks, see you in my country ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back