RD Le Mans Series Season 3 (rFactor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though our appearance was a short enjoyment, i´ll add my two cents. ;)

Series Length: Just about right, still i wouldn´t complain about 1-2 races more.

Classes Run: Good mix. Don´t know about LMPC, maybe they can replace P2 for a season? I´m a GT2 guy, so i don´t care much about which LMP is lapping. ;)

Time/Day of Events: Perfect.

Test Races: I usually try to attend all test races, since lot´s of (our) drivers simple can´t make it to races during weekdays because of their work i´ll go without the mandatory.

Qualification: Nothing to complain about how the qualy runs now. Not a fan of splitting qualy and race, especially not friday and saturday.

Forum Structure: Good. Considering the forum size it´s probably more than good. ;)

Additional Comments: Loved the schedule. Road Atlanta, Sebring, Road America, what else do i want? :p I´m kinda happy without all the "usual" tracks like Spa, Nürburgring, Laguna, etc. keep the RDLMS schedule something special.

I wrecked it with 2 laps to go from a complete and utter concentration error and lost the front and rear bodywork section. Had I been in Denis' position I'd have done everything in my power to try and get to me. Including taking risks.
In restrospect, your spotter should have warned you that his charge was for position and to the finish line.

There is absolutely no problem in driving hard, and taking risks. But these risks should only be risks for you, not another team (or in this situation, TWO teams).
My spotter? Roy is commentating together with Joakim - the RMI car is a 50% commentator car as well :)

Agreed, risks should only be taken if it only affects yourself, but I can still put myself in Denis' position as I've been there, done that myself.

We generally always have a person for each car functioning as backup driver (for emergencies - which we had plenty of this race...) aswell as a spotter via Liveracers if needed. Most of the top teams have this, but all teams should strive for it.

Apologies for my rather downbeat/miserable summary of my race on TS, I was just tired, honest!

For some reason, the car did not feel anywhere near as comfortable in the race as it did in practice, which unsettled me while I was stinting. I made a few stupid mistakes, though I also managed to avoid writing off the car towards the end of the race coming into the Porsche Curves! I apologise to anyone who I may have forcefully overtaken during the race, I did out brake myself majorly once at Mulsanne, nearly rear ending one of the other P1 cars!

To win the championship in our first season here was fantastic, and it was a pleasure to drive with you guys! Just wanna thank George, Yoeri and everyone else involved in the livestream and running of this series. For now I will take a break from sim racing, but I hope to return at some point! Thanks once again guys!

A big thank you from all of us at Total Sim Racing.

We have had an awesome season and that is down to you all :)

Also a big thanks to the commentator booth team for making me feel welcome in there and letting me talk trash with you all lol. Roll on the 24 hour and season 4 where I can join you all again.

Series Length: Too short, 6 or 7 events would give you an upportunity to make up for a DNF

Classes Run: The classes chosen was logical, but I did miss the GT1's.

Time/Day of Events: Was fine in S3.

Test Races: Optional.

Qualification: On race day.

Forum Structure: Fine.

Additional Comments: Sebring and Le Mans (with chicanes) are just "must haves". Some other great tracks are already mentioned. I like Spa, Silverstone, Paul Ricard, Mid Ohio, Zhuhai, Brno and Old Ring.

Series Length: Just right, perfect! Also race dates were nicely spaced out, 3-4 weeks between race.

Classes Run: Was good, 4 classes would be too many, it was good to have a bigger gt2 class and was closer to real life. My only desire would be to have Porsche Gt1's and Mclaren F1's but thats just me.

Time/Day of Events: Good, I would prefer to start earlier but our friends across the pond couldn't.

Test Races: Optional.

Qualification: On Race Day (edit-well i never had to qualify the car).

Forum Structure: Forum is great.

Additional Comments:
Two major issues for me
1). Too many dnf's. Although this meant that bad driving was naturally punished we were often robbed of the pleasure of competition thanks to disconnections. I would prefer races run in practice sessions using a plugin.
2). While driving standards were usually quite good bad driving went unpunished too often. I would like more active stewarding and penalties handed out mid race to make sure that 'crime doesn't pay.

The track selection was excellent, the programme made sense geographically and le mans was a great place to finish. The 79 version was on balance a nice choice because it was so pretty. However the close barriers and some blind corners were not ideal and those kind of features should be taken into account for decisions. There is an interesting discussion of tracks I think it would be a safe bet to to follow the WEC with tracks like Monza, Spa, Silverstone, Interlagos, Fuji. However I would be especially interested in some interesting tracks like Laguna seca, Suzuka, Kylami (modern) and Hermanos Rodriguez (Mexico).

All in all, a pretty damn good day for R4R Motorsport :D ... Starting as I usually do from the leadup to the race:

We were informed just a few days before the race that our long-awaited second car with Chav-homage nomenclature would be able to take the grid. R4R Massiv served as an introduction to endurance racing for Justin Lee and would be joined by Stephen Miller, Esben Tipple, and Joseph Mudrak, while the #21 would be wheeled by myself and Enis Dauti. While R4R Massiv's bright orange colors would be gracing the league for the first time, the R4R Motorsport Acura entered the race 6 points ahead of the Hungarian SiMCO Motorsport Acura, and the goal could only ever have been to secure the championship.

The late entry of the #59 R4R Massiv Acura meant comparatively little prep time for its drivers. Justin and Stephen, in particular, were making their R4R debut. Each of them got ample practice to learn the track, and we ensured the drivers we would step through the decision making process during the course of the race to help their understanding of how a race this long develops.

It took some time for us to find a setup on the #21 car. Enis and I were significantly more experienced, and as usual were charged with most of the testing and setup work on the car. A few slight modifications to the Daytona setup helped the car hit the sweet spot, and sure enough we were able to turn high 3:16's on full tanks in the daytime, even on boost 1. We were pleased and sent the setup off to the #59 team to allow them to tweak it to their liking.

Race day saw me up at 6:00AM Eastern for qualifying yet again - the strategy had worked well for us in the past, why not continue! I placed the car second on the grid behind a surprisingly quick Tam's P2 car. Knowing their race pace would likely not match their qualifying pace, and with the SiMCO car so far down the grid, I opted to take it reasonably easy and focus on A) getting the lead and B) breaking the draft.

Joseph Mudrak, meanwhile got up for a similarly early qualifying time in the #59 car, but unfortunately struggled with runtime errors all through qualifying and never got to set a lap. He'd start at the back of the LMP2 grid.

At the start, I managed to dispose of Azevedo fairly quickly, while Magnus Dahlgren hung tough. Fortunately, he got stuck behind Azevedo for just a corner or two, but it was enough to break the draft and hand me a solid lead early on. For the remainder of the first stint, I focused on hitting my marks and increasing the gap, getting it up to nearly 30 seconds by the end of the 17th lap and my first pitstop.

My second stint went equally well. No mistakes, no contact - just very clean and smooth driving while we kept our eye on the strategy being employed by Balasz Kiss and the SiMCO team. They seemed to be on a much higher boost and were double stinting tyres, meaning they'd pick up 20 seconds on every other pitstop but also meaning they'd be losing 40 seconds every 3 hours by default. We saw this as the wrong strategy and were pleased to see we were even running the same laptimes as they were, give or take a few tenths.

I was due to triple stint the #21, and had established a solid minute or so lead by the end of my second stint. Then, on my outlap on the third stint, I straddled the curb exiting Tertre Rouge and it hooked the car dead left, tearing off the nose. I did the entire stint with no nose as it was only costing about a second and a half per lap (I did manage a few high 3:17's!). From there, we figured it was best not to risk Enis getting all the damage back on our last stop, so we opted to fix the damage on stop #3 for us and I'd tack on an extra stint.

The gap stayed close to a minute while Enis hopped in to do either a quadruple or a triple stint, to be decided later based on the gap and his laptimes. By this point SiMCO had closed the gap a fair bit while Atilla Kiss pushed on very, very hard. With that in mind, we opted to keep Enis to a triple stint while I hopped in for another flex stint, either a triple for me and a double for Enis to the end or the other way around.

After the driver swap we sat just three seconds in front of Atilla with Magnus Dahlgren in the mix one or two laps down who did play a bit of a spoiler, on occasions helping either myself or Atilla as we battled for the class lead in the night. After Magnus pitted, SiMCO and myself had a couple of epic drafting battles down the Mulsanne, sometimes swapping positions two or three times before the end of the straight. Finally, Atilla hung back and got a big run, taking the advantage at Mulsanne corner. This was followed by some seriously defensive driving (and even a legitimate block or two) on the run to Indianapolis to put their Acura in the lead for the first time.

It didn't last very long. I got smart with the drafting and decided to hang back behind Atilla down the Mulsanne the next lap. I waited until right around the kink to make the move, kicked the boost up to 4, and drove right past. It very nearly went wrong as I overshot Mulsanne Corner slightly, allowing Atilla back past for about 2 seconds before he looped it and dropped 10 seconds. He was near the end of the stint, so one would think perhaps his tyres were giving up. It was the break we needed to stretch the advantage out - doing so by some 40 seconds before my first pitstop of that run. It appeared Atilla then received damage and began to fall further back, and it was smooth sailing from there. No incidents the next two stints meant I was able to turn consistent 3:17's in the night, 3:16's in the daylight and even a high 3:15 for good measure. We stretched the gap up to around 2 minutes when I handed the car over to Enis for the last 2 stints.

He drove perfectly to the end and managed to get the gap to SiMCO up over a lap, securing not only our second win of the season, but our fourth podium and the LMP2 championship. All in all, a brilliantly driven race. Apart from me tearing off the splitter, we had no real incidents. Pretty damn close to a perfect race.

We appreciate the battles over the course of the season with all of our competitors, including GT Omega early on and SiMCO towards the end. It's been a wonderful season and the championship was hard earned by Enis Dauti, Esben Tipple, Joseph Mudrak, and myself. It would be difficult to ask for more from our group of drivers! It's been great fun all season and I hope we get a season 4. Either way, we want to thank George and Yoeri for all their hard work, the commentators for their time and talents, and the competitors for fun, close, and (mostly) clean racing! See you all at the Nurburgring!

Series Length: About right, maybe an extra round or two.

Classes Run: Yeag Perfect

Time/Day of Events: Mix it up a little? Maybe for future events use real life timings for that country? So for example if we have a US event do 12:00 start on US local time? While a European race would start 12:00 European start.

Test Races: Should be mandatory but should also be longer. (2 hours a piece).

Qualification: Have always been a beiliver in having qualifying on a different day.

Forum Structure: Brilliant. Fantastic job by George and Yoeri.

Additional Comments: I would like to propose some tracks such as Silverstone, Paul Ricard, Monza, Spa, Dubai. While I did like the American theme to this season (Atlanta was a challenge but was fun). Personally I wouldnt mind something like a 7 round season? Two US rounds (on their timezone), Two european races (on euro timezone) then two Asian races (on their timezone) with a season finale at Le Mans.

Other than that its been a great series, pleasure to be a part of and hope to get entry for the next one where our team needs to improve :p.

Series Length: I think 6 would be awesome.

Classes Run: Perfect

Time/Day of Events: I think they are all fine as they are

Test Races: Should be mandatory but I think there should only be one. Should also be longer. 1 hour.

Qualification: I think it should be a day in the week like a Wednesday. I think it would be better this way as it would not be as much of a rush in the day of the race.

Forum Structure: Brilliant. Fantastic job by George and Yoeri.

Additional Comments: I would like to see some of these tracks added. Paul Ricard, Long Beach, Spa, Abu Dhabi. I also think that if we do not have the new Le mans ready in time then we should keep theVLM 79 track or if they have there's ready the 1990's lay out.

Other then that I would like to add this has been an awesome season and run like clock work a job well done by all who played a part in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 33 86.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 13 34.2%