AC Rd 4 of the F3 Championship -Japanese GP 4th April 2024.

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Did some practice laps yesterday, using a setup posted by Joseph (I think) at the beginning of the championship. I can't avoid the car bottoming out especially after the spoon curve and 130R.
I tried raising the rear a bit but they didn't help. As the setup has been used by many here, I don't understand if bottoming out is in some way inevitable or if I should continue trying to find a solution.

Any hint?
Suspension travel range (aka bumpstops). I'm making a setup today so I'll share that when it's done.

Suspension travel range (aka bumpstops). I'm making a setup today so I'll share that when it's done.

Thanks Joseph! As you're there :)whistling:) I also noticed that my settings tend to overheat the rears at the Dunlop curve. I eventually find a rhythm that allows me not to have problems, but I wonder if also that could be corrected (either with the setup or the driving style)

I probably won't make it tonight. Baybsitting service! Have a good one all!

Mieke Paasbrunch.jpg

Thanks Joseph! As you're there :)whistling:) I also noticed that my settings tend to overheat the rears at the Dunlop curve. I eventually find a rhythm that allows me not to have problems, but I wonder if also that could be corrected (either with the setup or the driving style)
You'll need to manage the tyre temperatures no matter what I do tbh. I'll see if anything can be done with setup but for now they'll just be toasty.

Did my best not to hit anyone in the first few corners, I think I was the only one. :confused:34 laps, full fuel change , tyres and everyone seem hell bent on the next 10 metres.
Finally got punted into the sand trap and had to transport to the pits.
Sat there and thought this is not for me.
Good luck to all that continue.

Finally finished one race :cool:

Felt great when I could keep it on the track, but overpowered too many times. Was fun anyway. Sticky gravel they have in Japan...

Pb’d in qualy, always best gime to do that :cool: and 6th on the grid, but a full second behind Hank. Great pace at the front.

Race was kinda eventfull, did a few diggin’ out the car from the gravel attempts. I think Andre and I tried to match the number off road events in the end hehe. But was fun chasing and racing.

Thanks Paul and congrats podium!

See you for next one!

Last edited:
Strange race for me today. In the first lap I was given a position due to Joseph's accident. After ten minutes I realized that I couldn't keep up with the top three and resigned myself to driving alone for 50 minutes. Ten minutes before the end, Thomas was suddenly right in front of me. He then spun out of the corner, which helped me to third place. In the lap after that I saw a lot of slow cars, as if it was "full course yellow" and Thomas was directly behind me again but in blue in the realtime app. I thought I was having hallucinations. I then drove carefully to the finish.

Third place, great, but kind of weird.

What happened Thomas?

Last edited:
Strange race for me today. In the first lap I was given a position due to Joseph's accident. After ten minutes I realized that I couldn't keep up with the top three and resigned myself to driving alone for 50 minutes. Ten minutes before the end, Thomas was suddenly right in front of me. He then spun out of the corner, which helped me to third place. In the lap after that I saw a lot of slow cars, as if it was "full course yellow" and Thomas was directly behind me again but in blue in the realtime app. I thought I was having hallucinations. I then drove carefully to the finish.

Third place, great, but kind of weird.

What happened Thomas?
Such a disappointment......first half of the race it was one of my best races, I could follow Allard in a 1-2 second gap, even got the slipstream couple times. Did no mistakes and was very constant. At half the race I went to the pits with a 2 second gap to Allard. After he came out of pits little later gap was about 6-7 seconds and I was frustrated as I didnt know where I lost the 5 seconds so quickly. Thinking about this I lost focus and the car somehow in the last chicane and got stuck, lost lots of time. Little later the car did not shift down at the kink before the bridge, spun again. Totally frustrated spun again later and car got stranded had to teleport to pits. What a shame, pace was good.

Did race in VR with my new (bought it used on ebay) reverb G2, unfortunately the clouded sky and the whole screen looked pretty dark in VR and didnt figure out how to increase brightness as PP filter settings are gone in VR menu somehow which is strange.
As well since I use the Reverb G2 (since yesterday's MX5 race) replays dont work, there is always this message

Can’t launch the race: car “” is damaged, model files are missing​

Searched the net, found no fix yet.
So I was not able to check this race either.

cu

Such a disappointment......first half of the race it was one of my best races, I could follow Allard in a 1-2 second gap, even got the slipstream couple times. Did no mistakes and was very constant. At half the race I went to the pits with a 2 second gap to Allard. After he came out of pits little later gap was about 6-7 seconds and I was frustrated as I didnt know where I lost the 5 seconds so quickly. Thinking about this I lost focus and the car somehow in the last chicane and got stuck, lost lots of time. Little later the car did not shift down at the kink before the bridge, spun again. Totally frustrated spun again later and car got stranded had to teleport to pits. What a shame, pace was good.

Did race in VR with my new (bought it used on ebay) reverb G2, unfortunately the clouded sky and the whole screen looked pretty dark in VR and didnt figure out how to increase brightness as PP filter settings are gone in VR menu somehow which is strange.
As well since I use the Reverb G2 (since yesterday's MX5 race) replays dont work, there is always this message

Can’t launch the race: car “” is damaged, model files are missing​

Searched the net, found no fix yet.
So I was not able to check this race either.

cu
I have the same problem with the replay and I don't drive with VR.

This should have been one of my better races since I practiced quite a bit for the last two weeks and I love this track. But I had meetings at work that didn't end until past 12pm (start of qual) and started at 1pm (I had to quite half way through the race right after pitting).

Got my best start ever, not only cleanly through the first few corners but also no problem through the ensuing lap. That was a first! I ended up 6th I believe after Steve. I was super stoked that I could follow Steve for many laps until I tried to get closer to make a pass. Out of the chicane, in an attempt to go a little faster, got on gas just a tinny bit early without matching steering input, I spun. Lost my concentration from cursing at myself for forgetting "easy does it", l lost where I was in the next lap and just drove right off the track at the hair pin. Finally collected myself and was able to regain a couple of positions. But my time was up and had to bail shortly after the pit stop. Still had allot of fun and the best Thursday race I had.

Thanks to Joe for sharing a nice setup that matched how I drive! It made driving this circuit such a joy!

And thanks to Paul for organizing the race!

Kudo to those up front driving in the 1:46/47 ranges, it is just amazing to me. Much to learn.

Pretty positive and enjoyable race for me. I had time to practice on Wednesday and knew Suzuka relatively well so I hadn't to learn the track.
Thanks to Joseph @Captain Condescending for the setup, during my practice I had a potential 1.48.0 but stopped at 1.48.4, I was then able to shave another couple of tenths using it. Of course it's hard to stay away from vices so I made another couple of modifications between the quali and the race and I partially screwed my performance (gave one click less on the 6th gear and that was too short for the final straight).
All in all midfield quali isn't common for me so I was happy with it anyways.

The race start had been very good but before T1 I was already out as @H_Belane drifted a bit too much towards the left and I had to put a couple of wheels on the grass. Dead last but this has been the peak of my misfortune, yet a good thing because it allowed me to avoid all the following incidents and capitalize on other drivers' errors. I just focused on being consistent and I have been lucky enough not to remain stuck in the gravel in the few off track tours during the race.
I was able to race the first part without errors and gained up to tenth place, then I found myself even up to sixth after some pitstops.
Second part of the event has been a struggle to keep Andre @a_murel distant enough , not making errors and trying to catch Thomas @thom462 . With both of them there were overtakes due to each one own errors, and in the end the positions remained the same.

Intense race nonetheless, but I was finally able to have a race without any hiccup, though the mistery about their origin remains: I disabled a couple of options during the practice, and got rid of the FPS cap and V-sync. My FPS indicator stayed over 220 while practicing online mid week, with post processing and all the rest. Once I joined the race during practice the usual bad stuttering appeared. Nothing else had changed from the practice I made online half week, and the FPS meter was still above 220, but dropped sometimes to below 140 and the image froze for a few tenths of a second. I decided to give up post processing for quali and see the result, and yeah! No hiccups anymore.
Very difficult to understand the reason (post processing has many settings) and to troubleshoot as it just happens online and during the race evening while not when online during the week.
However, having a buttery smooth frame rate was a game changer in terms of being able to focus and not doing errors.

Cheers to the podium finishers, and thanks Paul for organising as usual. See you in two weeks!

A great race for me. From the getgo i set the car up to be safe rather than fast and it finally paid off for me. My start was fast off the line and made up a few places, cut across Hank and tapped him on the corner (sorry Hank) then Laurent got untidy on the first bend and i had to go on the grass to avoid and found myself behind Hank again. By then it became a convoy with Dai only a small gap behind me. He was a little quicker in a few areas and he was braking much later than me but overall i could keep him at bay by driving steady and Hank was inching away from me a little on every lap so i just settled in for the long haul knowing i was not going to catch the 4 up front. Dai made a mistake and then all i had to do was bring it home with a growing gap behind me. All was well until the final laps when i entered the start straight to find two cars sideways covering the whole track. A detour on the grass and i luckily escaped crashing, Thomas had an issue and i was happy to finish in 4th spot. Great fun guys, looking forward to the next one. :thumbsup:

@maxilogan

What monitor/monitors do you run! VR!
That's a sore point my wise friend.. my journey into the VR realm lasted just a few months before our Oculus Rift S bought used started to act up consistently (see here and here and here) , to the point that I had to return to pancake and find the time to troubleshoot the visor.
Up to now, no one of the suggestions I found over the internet has been effective (downgrade the drivers -> not possible anymore as it asks for a mandatory update as soon as you start up the oculus app, use a powered usb hub -> no change, still crashing) so we are still evaluating whether a possibility of fixing exists or if we should simply replace the visor (something which would not happen soon due to the price of it).

If anyone experienced the Rift S crashing which a high pitch sound and the screen becoming black, and has some suggestions about how to solve is of course welcome..

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.