RaceRoom | Porsche, BMW, Ningbo International & New Features!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A large new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience has been deployed - and it contains plenty of new content and feature improvements - including amongst others a first iteration of daylight progression within the system.

Surprise! The new December build update of RaceRoom Racing Experience contains more than a few new feature enhancements for the title when it dropped earlier today - with new time of day effects, a fresh look for car setup screens, various physics and AI changes and plenty more besides!

Of course the new build release is exciting stuff in its own right, however today also marks the release of some interesting new pieces of content, namely the already previewed Porsche Pack DLC #3, a nice new GT4 car from BMW, the BMW M1 Group 4 machine, the WTCR hosting Ningbo International Speedpark circuit and a free Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane layout update for owners of the circuit!

Update details:

Download size = 4.5 GB
Client version = 0.9.0.911
Client BuildID = 4480845
Dedicated server version = 56.0.1058
Dedicated server BuildID = 4480917

New content:
  • GTR4 car class - Added BMW M4 GT4
  • GTR4 car class - Added Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • GTR3 car class - Added Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019)
  • Group 4 car class - Added BMW M1 Group 4
  • Added a new car class - Porsche Motorsport GT2 Supersportscar, with the Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Tracks - Added Ningbo International Speedpark with 5 layouts
  • Tracks - Added new layout: Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane, free for all owners of the track.

Features:
  • Added a first iteration of daylight progression, from morning to evening. A multiplier is available to set progression from x0 (static sun), up to x25.
  • Sun position is now astronomically accurate for each of our tracks as per a typical summer solstice day.
  • Dedicated server - Added possibility to set a "Message of the Day" that all players will be presented with upon joining. The message can be dismissed by pressing the brake, or leaving the pitlane. The message can be formatted using very basic html tags.
  • Damage overhaul - The old settings separating Visual and Mechanical damage have been merged into just one Damage setting which can have the following values:
    - Off (cars will not take any damage)
    - Limited (this is equivalent to having both mechanical and visual damage enabled before today's update)
    - Full (Suspension can get damaged, and tyres can have flat spots after lock-ups)
  • Damage model - New deformations and systems for detachables parts, cracks in windshields, etc.
  • Damage model - Tyres can now get punctured from collisions or from driving off track, and the probabilities of getting a puncture increase with the wear.
  • Car Setup Menu - One of our goals is to modernize the user interface and the first menu that we decided to tackle is the car setup. It is reflecting the future look and feel of the RaceRoom interface as we head into 2020.
    It is divided in three areas, the left will display some telemetry data from your last laps, the center has all the possible changes sorted into tabs, and the right side is dedicated to display helper texts and the steering settings.
  • Force Feedback - Added Pneumatic Trail to the physics engine, which results in self-centering forces on corner exits.
  • Force Feedback - Added Stationary Friction effects
  • Global AI behavioral improvements, with car specific tweaks using a self-learning algorithm.
  • Sounds - Improvements to tyre sounds (skid and scrub).
  • Added an option to display opponents of other classes in the HUD position bar
  • Added an option to force the HUD track map to remain static and not rotate with the player's car orientation
  • Added an option to show or hide the chat messages in Multiplayer
  • Added extra bindigs for Shift Up and Shift Down, allowing to mix paddles and a sequential shifter

RaceRoom Car Setup Screen.jpg

Content updates:
  • DTM 1992 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Touring Classics - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR3 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR4 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Hillclimb Icons - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • BMW M1 Procar - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Performance index values of all car classes have been readjusted (DTM 1992 and Touring Classics are no longer merged)
  • Brands Hatch - Updated curbs, advertisement, vegetation
  • Gelleråsen Arena - The last turn has been modified, but the starting grid is still located on the old stretch.
  • Knutstorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
  • Macau - Improved performance
  • Mantorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
Fixes:
  • Dedicated server no longer loses its settings when the IP address of the hosting machine changes.
  • Loads of bug fixes and improvements overall

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to learn more about the tips and tricks of RaceRoom Racing Experience? Ask a question to our awesome sim racing community at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

RaceRoom Update 1.jpg

Hello.

Since the automatic installation of the last update on RaceRoom Experience (the new interface is really pretty),
I can no longer change the tire type on cars. I tried all the buttons and joysticks on the XBOX360 controller, I couldn't choose a tire profile.
The DTM are for example condemned on the "prime", the Porsche 911 GT3-R on the "Hard"... etc.
Therefore it makes me doubt because I bought the full game very recently.
Can I actually assign other types of tires to these cars or am I stuck with the new interface ?

Thanks in advance if you have an answer to my problem.
DTM and GT3 cars only have one tire compound in the game since they are based on real life racing series which also only use a single compound.

Anyone finds the new GT3s significantly more unforgiving? I mean oversteer behavior, especially while turning over crests when rear tires unload. For instance Mercedes AMG GT3 on Raceroom raceway theres especially one slow right hand corner.
Also tires’ sliding sound is one weird. Try Porsche gt3 Cup car.
You probably did that, but - be sure to reset the car setup to default before driving the GT3s. On more than one occasion, it happened to me that the game by default loaded my old setup, and it results in a very weirdly behaving car with a lot of sudden oversteer.

So the GT3s feel great, but the older cars are just undriveable now. Saying I feel like I'm on ice is a huge understatement. I'm absolutely tip-toeing around turns in the touring masters and still sliding out into the grass and spinning.

Bravo Raceroom for addressing FFB and having controller profiles that actually work!

There were a few hiccups in updating, but they were quickly ironed out. Usual sort of things where selecting a fresh car/track and opponents resolved things. Reset the controllers to defaults and <presto!> DTM92 drives differently, but nicely with the updated physics.

You probably did that, but - be sure to reset the car setup to default before driving the GT3s. On more than one occasion, it happened to me that the game by default loaded my old setup, and it results in a very weirdly behaving car with a lot of sudden oversteer.
I did reset - it's hard not to notice the message during track loading:). I could swear GT3s were more forgiving, especially with oversteer over crests. Other thing I noticed after selecting default controller profile, FFB is much weaker. For instance I almost didn't feel wheel (T300) resistance which is called self-aligning torque (if I'm not mistaken), despite having FFB intensity and FFB steering force intensity and 100%. I had to increase FFB multi in car menu.

Other thing I noticed after selecting default controller profile, FFB is much weaker. For instance I almost didn't feel wheel resistance which is called self-aligning torque (if I'm not mistaken), despite having FFB intensity and FFB steering force intensity and 100%. I had to increase FFB multi in car menu.
As mentioned before, I would personally recommend raising the steering force before touching the FFB multipliers. Get a good baseline first before tweaking individual cars. Don't be afraid to go above 100 %. Use the FFB meter to get a solid baseline with for example the GT3 cars. Then just tweak cars that are too off.

This, in my opinion, is a better, more systematic approach. In my opinion.

@Miguel Batista I don't think I found out anything close to "Road feel is passed by spring now so if you have zero spring you miss all road feel". In fact I was even thinking about responding to that earlier, because I believe that's not what is happening in the game at all. At least not on my T300. I even double checked right now, just to be absolutely sure the game doesn't do that.

Last edited:
@Miguel Batista I don't think I found out anything close to "Road feel is passed by spring now so if you have zero spring you miss all road feel". In fact I was even thinking about responding to that earlier, because I believe that's not what is happening in the game at all. At least not on my T300. I even double checked right now, just to be absolutely sure the game doesn't do that.
Well, someone did... it worked for me in my CSW v2.5 and apparently for the g27.

To be fair, it was not all road feel. I think it is only the finer details the big changes in surface are still felt without spring but the ffb feels super neutral.

@Miguel Batista As far as I know, the only effect spring has on the FFB in Raceroom is if you turned up the in-game spring slider, then you get a quite static spring effect added (and most people have that slider on 0 I'd expect, because there's usually no point in adding more spring, you're better off just raising the lateral or vertical forces a bit).

I'm pretty sure I even saw a dev confirm that spring doesn't do anything in Raceroom, in fact I think it was in response to someone suggesting something close to what you suggested, but I'm a bit hazy on where it was.

@Miguel Batista As far as I know, the only effect spring has on the FFB in Raceroom is if you turned up the in-game spring slider, then you get a quite static spring effect added (and most people have that slider on 0 I'd expect, because there's usually no point in adding more spring, you're better off just raising the lateral or vertical forces a bit).

I'm pretty sure I even saw a dev confirm that spring doesn't do anything in Raceroom, in fact I think it was in response to someone suggesting something close to what you suggested, but I'm a bit hazy on where it was.
ghaaa...

I need to retest this again...

As mentioned before, I would personally recommend raising the steering force before touching the FFB multipliers. Get a good baseline first before tweaking individual cars. Don't be afraid to go above 100 %. Use the FFB meter to get a solid baseline with for example the GT3 cars. Then just tweak cars that are too off.

This, in my opinion, is a better, more systematic approach. In my opinion.
When I increased FFB multi in car setup, and checked FFB graph, the forces often were above horizontal line. So I guess there was clipping, but I didn’t feel like it was max output strength of my T300. I will try to increase steering force above 100% in global FFB settings and lower FFB multi.

A new hotfix has been released this morning.

Update details:

Download size = 351 MB
Client version = 0.9.0.915
Client BuildID = 4512421
Dedicated server version = 56.0.1062
Dedicated server BuildID = 4514536

Fixes:

Fixed a case where some steering wheels would not have any Force FeedBack due to their lack of support for square or sawtooth wave signals used since our last update for flatspots and curbstones.
Tweaked the default Force FeedBack settings for Direct Drive wheels by reducing damping, increasing rack percentage and scaling the maximum output.
When using a controller that has no wheel rotation (such as a gamepad), the Wheel Angle setting in car setup is now properly static instead of appearing to be changeable and then resetting itself.
Fixed a case where tyre pressure changes would sometimes not apply.

Content:

Sounds - Decreased volume of brake lock sounds
Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019) - Added more low frequencies to the cockpit sound
Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport - Improved default setup and raceability. Increased default FFB multiplier.
Turbo cars - Improved standing start performances (except WTCR, GT4 and GT3)
All cars - Reduced the big differences in default FFB multipliers, and reduced some extreme undertray friction values found on various older cars.
Formula RaceRoom 90 - Tweaks to AI performance
Formula RaceRoom X-17 - Tweaks to AI behavior
GT3 - Reduced drag for Nissan GT-R and tweaked gear ratios for the McLaren 650S. Tweaks to AI performance. Fixed some weird sound levels heard in the Corvette Z06.R GT3.
Group C - Improved feel through tweaks to the steering geometry
Group 4 - Tweaks to AI performance
WTCC 2013 - Fixed tyres getting punctured very easily from flatspots
Sachsenring - Modified the announcer sound sample as it was a bit repetitive with very accentuated "KOMMT der Daniel Keilwitz recht GUT weg"

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.