RaceRoom | Porsche, BMW, Ningbo International & New Features!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A large new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience has been deployed - and it contains plenty of new content and feature improvements - including amongst others a first iteration of daylight progression within the system.

Surprise! The new December build update of RaceRoom Racing Experience contains more than a few new feature enhancements for the title when it dropped earlier today - with new time of day effects, a fresh look for car setup screens, various physics and AI changes and plenty more besides!

Of course the new build release is exciting stuff in its own right, however today also marks the release of some interesting new pieces of content, namely the already previewed Porsche Pack DLC #3, a nice new GT4 car from BMW, the BMW M1 Group 4 machine, the WTCR hosting Ningbo International Speedpark circuit and a free Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane layout update for owners of the circuit!

Update details:

Download size = 4.5 GB
Client version = 0.9.0.911
Client BuildID = 4480845
Dedicated server version = 56.0.1058
Dedicated server BuildID = 4480917

New content:
  • GTR4 car class - Added BMW M4 GT4
  • GTR4 car class - Added Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • GTR3 car class - Added Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019)
  • Group 4 car class - Added BMW M1 Group 4
  • Added a new car class - Porsche Motorsport GT2 Supersportscar, with the Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Tracks - Added Ningbo International Speedpark with 5 layouts
  • Tracks - Added new layout: Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane, free for all owners of the track.

Features:
  • Added a first iteration of daylight progression, from morning to evening. A multiplier is available to set progression from x0 (static sun), up to x25.
  • Sun position is now astronomically accurate for each of our tracks as per a typical summer solstice day.
  • Dedicated server - Added possibility to set a "Message of the Day" that all players will be presented with upon joining. The message can be dismissed by pressing the brake, or leaving the pitlane. The message can be formatted using very basic html tags.
  • Damage overhaul - The old settings separating Visual and Mechanical damage have been merged into just one Damage setting which can have the following values:
    - Off (cars will not take any damage)
    - Limited (this is equivalent to having both mechanical and visual damage enabled before today's update)
    - Full (Suspension can get damaged, and tyres can have flat spots after lock-ups)
  • Damage model - New deformations and systems for detachables parts, cracks in windshields, etc.
  • Damage model - Tyres can now get punctured from collisions or from driving off track, and the probabilities of getting a puncture increase with the wear.
  • Car Setup Menu - One of our goals is to modernize the user interface and the first menu that we decided to tackle is the car setup. It is reflecting the future look and feel of the RaceRoom interface as we head into 2020.
    It is divided in three areas, the left will display some telemetry data from your last laps, the center has all the possible changes sorted into tabs, and the right side is dedicated to display helper texts and the steering settings.
  • Force Feedback - Added Pneumatic Trail to the physics engine, which results in self-centering forces on corner exits.
  • Force Feedback - Added Stationary Friction effects
  • Global AI behavioral improvements, with car specific tweaks using a self-learning algorithm.
  • Sounds - Improvements to tyre sounds (skid and scrub).
  • Added an option to display opponents of other classes in the HUD position bar
  • Added an option to force the HUD track map to remain static and not rotate with the player's car orientation
  • Added an option to show or hide the chat messages in Multiplayer
  • Added extra bindigs for Shift Up and Shift Down, allowing to mix paddles and a sequential shifter

RaceRoom Car Setup Screen.jpg

Content updates:
  • DTM 1992 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Touring Classics - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR3 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR4 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Hillclimb Icons - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • BMW M1 Procar - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Performance index values of all car classes have been readjusted (DTM 1992 and Touring Classics are no longer merged)
  • Brands Hatch - Updated curbs, advertisement, vegetation
  • Gelleråsen Arena - The last turn has been modified, but the starting grid is still located on the old stretch.
  • Knutstorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
  • Macau - Improved performance
  • Mantorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
Fixes:
  • Dedicated server no longer loses its settings when the IP address of the hosting machine changes.
  • Loads of bug fixes and improvements overall

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to learn more about the tips and tricks of RaceRoom Racing Experience? Ask a question to our awesome sim racing community at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

RaceRoom Update 1.jpg

This was posted in October by Niels:

"With AMS we upped the FFB rate from 90 to 360. Recently we found out the FFB is actually still limited to your framerate most likely. We had 180 and 360hz options in game, I’m sure people felt a difference, but if they ran less than 181fps, the FFB rate was most likely identical. :D"

So yes, the info in the video is incorrect. That's what was intended to happen, but sadly not what was apparently really happening ;) And in three years, nobody knew, and I'm sure quite a few people would tell you the 360 Hz option feels so much better than the 180 Hz option ;)

In fact the whole post is great (as is standard with Niels). Be it his remark about the power of placebo, or putting the FFB torque steps in perspective ;)
Thanks. That proves something I've been saying to rf2 devs for a while: as long as it's convincing ppl wont care and wont notice if it's a simplified application or how fast something runs, no need NASA projects for sim racing. AC being the best example :D

Yeah, but my point is people shouldn't need to touch the multipliers in the first place, most probably even don't know what they should be aiming for.
How can you set the car multipliers for every user to the "correct" levels when you have no idea what their preference is for FFB strength? Even RL drivers sometimes tweak things like the power steering on their car, to get a lighter/heavier feel.

In my opinion they've got a good system going here. They balance the forces for you via profiles, you determine the strength via the car multipliers. Do it once per car and you never have to touch it again, unlike some other sims in which you have to tweak your FFB values whenever you switch cars.

It shows how subjective FFB strength is since you're "doubling" the FFB multiplier for some cars, yet I've reduced it in all but one car that I've tried so far. We have different preferences, and the multiplier caters for that.

About FFB.

First i always try to set it strong enough to got a strenght just under the „red line“ in the FFB-Meter.
Every modern sim has a FFB-Display/Meter so every car can or should be moded here to achieve strong possible FFB without crossing „the line“ to avoid clipping or worse getting the wheel hot and possibly damage it.
personely i tweak it few Clicks down because i like it not to heavy

So i have no problem how r3e handels it. I do the same with any other sim with any car so i dont see a Problem

I've had a pretty massive drop in FPS since the update. Same graphics settings as before where I was getting over 100 fps with just me hot lapping, now it's down in the high 50s or worse.

@Ross Garland Having now uninstalled and reinstalling a clean version of the game (I had seen people making mentions of starting new controller profiles etc, so felt it best to start with a completely clean slate), I can report the FFB now is probably genre leading. I have spent most of this afternoon tinkering with the settings and getting it (mostly) to my liking. It doesnt quite have the finesse of AMS, but its amazing, it adds so much depth to the experience of driving compared to how it felt before. The physics as well are brilliant now. And the dreaded AI? I would say on a par with AMS if not a little bit better. I have had 3-4 excellent races where it was back and forth slip stream battles and at all times I found the AI to be logical and sensible in the moves it made. Frankly, before this patch it was like racing a whole field of Romain Grosjeans. It was bloody terrifying. This patch is 10/10. Amazing work.

After a few hours spent with the new update, all I have to say to R3E is Bravo! I always liked R3E, but more as a #2, to spend time with when in need for something different every now and then.
The new R3E is going to be used more often. So bravo for improving significantly this SIM but also bravo for offering all this as an update/upgrade and not as a new "game" version.
R3E as to be commanded for not going the cash new version route.
To all seemingly struggling with the changes, if you have not treated the update as a new game and reinstall it or at least used new profile for the FFB, please do. It is what you would have do for a new version of the same game.
Since I have the strong feeling that I will drive R3E a lot more, I am now considering to add some tracks and cars that I have not done yet because it was just not that used before. So that will be for me but also to reward R3E for bringing me a "new" SIM at no charge for now. In any case by rewarding R3E, I am still selfish, as if what they are into keeps going, by giving them liquidity, I am probably going to benefit from it again. :D

I've had a pretty massive drop in FPS since the update. Same graphics settings as before where I was getting over 100 fps with just me hot lapping, now it's down in the high 50s or worse.

I have decent system (i7-9700, 2070 S) but I got down shadows sharpness. With high setup shadows was unrealistic grainy. Also turn off Vsync.

I've explained how. And, as mentioned, AMS does that. Doesn't mean you can't tweak it if you really want. The point is to have a baseline as good as possible.
And I explained that, given the wildly varying preferences in FFB, who decides what the baseline is? According to you it should be higher, according to me it should be lower. Who is right and who is wrong? Nobody, because it's personal preference and there is no "best" when it comes to FFB strength.

People have been saying that shadows are causing FPS drops because apparently they're higher resolution since the patch. I haven't noticed any difference myself, but maybe try lowering those and see if it helps?

Strange i use a gtx1070 OC and can run it stable as good as before.

OT: Wow i just started M1 and GT3 Championships 2 weeks ago @ AI on 108%
After the update i am Chanceless :confused: now . The cars are much more difficult to drive :inlove: Especially the M1 is hard to keep on track at limit

Question for the Raceroom experts...

I've noticed that since today's update, there is now a .RCS controller preset available named "Simucube 2 pro". It sits in the same folder as all the many other provided presets, which in my case is 'steamapps/common/raceroom racing experience/Game/GameData/ControlSet'.

The .RCS file that I have always used isn't in there. Instead, I find it in 'Documents/ My Games/SimBin/Raceroom Racing Experience/User Data/ControlSet' where it sits alone.

Shouldn't they all reside in the same place?

Question for the Raceroom experts...

I've noticed that since today's update, there is now a .RCS controller preset available named "Simucube 2 pro". It sits in the same folder as all the many other provided presets, which in my case is 'steamapps/common/raceroom racing experience/Game/GameData/ControlSet'.

The .RCS file that I have always used isn't in there. Instead, I find it in 'Documents/ My Games/SimBin/Raceroom Racing Experience/User Data/ControlSet' where it sits alone.

Shouldn't they all reside in the same place?

Custom control sets always move to the docs folder. Defaults stay in the game folder

Hello internet sim racing people!

Got a question for you please...

I'm running the SimSteering V2 Direct Drive, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about quality settings I could try please?

I'm going to go up onto the rig shortly after writing a few bits, and try out the latest hotfix update, but I went on yesterday for the first time, used the Accuforce V1 as a default profile and made some small tweaks - man am I impressed :)

However, as I'm sure many, many of you can relate.. I've got a feeling more can be found, so I'm keen to see if anyone has any settings they like, that they would be willing to share?

Thanks chaps!

Thank you.

Alex, my understanding is that Granite Devices reached out to the guys at Sector 3 but didn't really get anything back in terms of wanting to work together.

If so, that's a real shame. It would have been nice for us Simucube users if you guys could have received a unit to work with so that would we could have had some better baseline settings to work from.

At the moment we are a little in the dark, settings wise and you may have noticed that although we really want to love the game, quite a few of us have found it slipping towards the bottom of our played Sims due to the difficulty with dialing the ffb in just right.

I'm not trying to/can't speak for all Simucube users but I do feel I'm safe in saying that this is the general type of feedback that I've seen.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 60 57.1%