RaceRoom | Porsche, BMW, Ningbo International & New Features!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A large new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience has been deployed - and it contains plenty of new content and feature improvements - including amongst others a first iteration of daylight progression within the system.

Surprise! The new December build update of RaceRoom Racing Experience contains more than a few new feature enhancements for the title when it dropped earlier today - with new time of day effects, a fresh look for car setup screens, various physics and AI changes and plenty more besides!

Of course the new build release is exciting stuff in its own right, however today also marks the release of some interesting new pieces of content, namely the already previewed Porsche Pack DLC #3, a nice new GT4 car from BMW, the BMW M1 Group 4 machine, the WTCR hosting Ningbo International Speedpark circuit and a free Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane layout update for owners of the circuit!

Update details:

Download size = 4.5 GB
Client version = 0.9.0.911
Client BuildID = 4480845
Dedicated server version = 56.0.1058
Dedicated server BuildID = 4480917

New content:
  • GTR4 car class - Added BMW M4 GT4
  • GTR4 car class - Added Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • GTR3 car class - Added Porsche 911 GT3 R (2019)
  • Group 4 car class - Added BMW M1 Group 4
  • Added a new car class - Porsche Motorsport GT2 Supersportscar, with the Porsche GT2 RS Clubsport
  • Tracks - Added Ningbo International Speedpark with 5 layouts
  • Tracks - Added new layout: Nürburgring Grand Prix Fast Chicane, free for all owners of the track.

Features:
  • Added a first iteration of daylight progression, from morning to evening. A multiplier is available to set progression from x0 (static sun), up to x25.
  • Sun position is now astronomically accurate for each of our tracks as per a typical summer solstice day.
  • Dedicated server - Added possibility to set a "Message of the Day" that all players will be presented with upon joining. The message can be dismissed by pressing the brake, or leaving the pitlane. The message can be formatted using very basic html tags.
  • Damage overhaul - The old settings separating Visual and Mechanical damage have been merged into just one Damage setting which can have the following values:
    - Off (cars will not take any damage)
    - Limited (this is equivalent to having both mechanical and visual damage enabled before today's update)
    - Full (Suspension can get damaged, and tyres can have flat spots after lock-ups)
  • Damage model - New deformations and systems for detachables parts, cracks in windshields, etc.
  • Damage model - Tyres can now get punctured from collisions or from driving off track, and the probabilities of getting a puncture increase with the wear.
  • Car Setup Menu - One of our goals is to modernize the user interface and the first menu that we decided to tackle is the car setup. It is reflecting the future look and feel of the RaceRoom interface as we head into 2020.
    It is divided in three areas, the left will display some telemetry data from your last laps, the center has all the possible changes sorted into tabs, and the right side is dedicated to display helper texts and the steering settings.
  • Force Feedback - Added Pneumatic Trail to the physics engine, which results in self-centering forces on corner exits.
  • Force Feedback - Added Stationary Friction effects
  • Global AI behavioral improvements, with car specific tweaks using a self-learning algorithm.
  • Sounds - Improvements to tyre sounds (skid and scrub).
  • Added an option to display opponents of other classes in the HUD position bar
  • Added an option to force the HUD track map to remain static and not rotate with the player's car orientation
  • Added an option to show or hide the chat messages in Multiplayer
  • Added extra bindigs for Shift Up and Shift Down, allowing to mix paddles and a sequential shifter

RaceRoom Car Setup Screen.jpg

Content updates:
  • DTM 1992 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Touring Classics - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR3 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • GTR4 - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Hillclimb Icons - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • BMW M1 Procar - Updated physics ( Details @ Sector3 forums )
  • Performance index values of all car classes have been readjusted (DTM 1992 and Touring Classics are no longer merged)
  • Brands Hatch - Updated curbs, advertisement, vegetation
  • Gelleråsen Arena - The last turn has been modified, but the starting grid is still located on the old stretch.
  • Knutstorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
  • Macau - Improved performance
  • Mantorp - Updated with 2019 modifications
Fixes:
  • Dedicated server no longer loses its settings when the IP address of the hosting machine changes.
  • Loads of bug fixes and improvements overall

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available now exclusively on PC.

Want to learn more about the tips and tricks of RaceRoom Racing Experience? Ask a question to our awesome sim racing community at the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

RaceRoom Update 1.jpg

The only thing I will admit here is that eventhough I have used the word "instantly" lock then I ofcourse know that it takes probably about ½-1 sec before lock of the wheels after completely flooring the brakes - in RL.
The reason is mainly the rolling inertia of the wheels - and not so much the downforce/tire grip.
Thats also the reason the RL drivers init hard braking by stamping almost all they are able to.

And to the mandatory claim of posting a video of a RL F1 blocking the wheels I have to admit that I dont really care. :cool:
If I posted one then the next claim would be that the track wasnt clean enough to show anything.:roflmao:
Or it wasnt the right car/season.:rolleyes:
Actually I made a Raceroom replay of one of the FR90 cars seen from the side and floored the brakes in straight line from about 250kmH.
It took several secs where the wheels was still rolling happily - and then when the speed became lower than about 100kmH the wheels began gradually locking.
Not realistic.:cool:

The only thing I will admit here is that eventhough I have used the word "instantly" lock then I ofcourse know that it takes probably about ½-1 sec before lock of the wheels after completely flooring the brakes - in RL.
The reason is mainly the rolling inertia of the wheels - and not so much the downforce/tire grip.
Thats also the reason the RL drivers init hard braking by stamping almost all they are able to.

And to the mandatory claim of posting a video of a RL F1 blocking the wheels I have to admit that I dont really care. :cool:
If I posted one then the next claim would be that the track wasnt clean enough to show anything.:roflmao:
Or it wasnt the right car/season.:rolleyes:
Actually I made a Raceroom replay of one of the FR90 cars seen from the side and floored the brakes in straight line from about 250kmH.
It took several secs where the wheels was still rolling happily - and then when the speed became lower than about 100kmH the wheels began gradually locking.
Mandatory claim? English is not my mother tongue but I'm pretty sure I said "please".
So, yes, the only thing here is that you don't have a clue of what your talking about because you'll never see a F1 blocking at really high speed.

Bye.

That's actually what I'd expect from a high downforce car. Might be a tad later than desired, but, as you can see, when the aero downforce disappears, then the locking begins.

That's actually what I'd expect from a high downforce car. Might be a tad later than desired, but, as you can see, when the aero downforce disappears, then the locking begins.
OK to show my good will I made a brake test with 3 different cars on RdAmericas straight.
I floored the brake on exactly the finish line.

FR90V8 initBrake(290kmH): startBlocking(100kmH)
P21 initBrake(246kmH): startBlocking(152kmH)
NissanR90 initBrake(263kmH): startBlocking(140kmH)

I have saved 3 replays as a proof.:roflmao:
But I admit that eventhough I still consider the rolling distance without blocking way too long - it is not so complete unrealistic as I initially thought.:whistling:

@Emery
I admit that this is not the best proof of my point that a RL F1 car can block the wheels "instantly" at any speed.
But seen in this picture of the Ricciardo/Verstappen Crash 2018 it can be seen that Ricciardo is completely blocking his wheels just before the impact - at (my guess) about 200kmH or more.
You will not be able to replicate this blocking in Raceroom - as the braking is functioning now.

Ricciardo and Verstappen Crash 2018.jpg

You will not be able to replicate this blocking in Raceroom - as the braking is functioning now.
Do note that only a single tire is locked. From my experience, I suspect that wheel took a slight bounce and that was enough to counter the downforce, allowing that wheel to lock. Or he already had a slight flatspot. Hmm, come to think of it, a slight flatspot is more likely than a pavement bounce because it would cause a little bounce on first revolution and then catch/lock on the next revolution.

Another conclusion you can draw is that his braking bias is forward because the car goes straight, doesn't go askew, with only one front wheel locked.

Just read through the discussion of brake behaviour so I'll join in.

Regarding actual retardation rates, I spent many hours matching deceleration curves in R3E to data sent to us by various teams. After all that work the curves match beautifully, so deceleration rates really are correct. Maybe as the brakes were previously too powerful with a lot of our cars, combined with increased acceleration and top speeds for a lot of updated classes, it takes some brain-retraining to dial in.

Lock-ups are a similar sort of thing, but there are variables to consider. Brake temperature has a huge effect, especially with carbon brakes. For example straight out of the pit lane, you've got less than 50% of your total braking power available, until you've got heat in to them. I can say with absolute certainty that with high-downforce single seaters the drivers can stamp on the brakes as hard as they can at speed without locking up. In the above example of the Ricciardo/Verstappen crash, the car behind has lost it's front downforce by following so closely, hence locking up the fronts.

At lower speeds, with cold tyres lock ups can/do happen, and below is probably the best example I've seen of this. In this example it's probably a case of high brake temperatures and cold tyres:

For example straight out of the pit lane, you've got less than 50% of your total braking power available, until you've got heat in to them. I can say with absolute certainty that with high-downforce single seaters the drivers can stamp on the brakes as hard as they can at speed without locking up. In the above example of the Ricciardo/Verstappen crash, the car behind has lost it's front downforce by following so closely, hence locking up the fronts.

At lower speeds, with cold tyres lock ups can/do happen, and below is probably the best example I've seen of this. In this example it's probably a case of high brake temperatures and cold tyres:
Thanks for responding AlexH.:thumbsup:
I know it was myself who included F1 cars in this critique - mainly because I more or less only like to drive the FR90xx´s.
But if we take cars with much less downforce then my critique goes also on as example the mentioned P21 and NissanR90.
So eventhough you proudly :D are telling us that deceleration curves does match beautifully (to RL) and are correct(!) then I will still hold on the oppinion that it takes too long after flooring the brakes before the wheels are blocking.:sneaky:

Hehe Ill bet that if I make the same RdAmerica brake test as above with some of Racerooms normal road-ish cars then Im pretty sure its also impossible to get the wheels to lockup instantly - like I can do with my own road car.
Eventhough you say Racerooms deceleration curves does match beautifully.:whistling:

Im thankfull that you posted the Massa video because as I see it(!) then his wheels does lockup instantly eventhough the brakes has to be rather cold(after waiting for start) and the tires reasonably warm(after pit warmers and keeping up temp on install lap).

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Im still pretty sure that if I tried to replicate the video start in Raceroom with the FR90xx F1 then (Postulate:) the wheels wouldnt lockup before the speed was under 80-90kmH.:cautious:

br1.jpgbr2.jpg

Thanks for responding AlexH.:thumbsup:
I know it was myself who included F1 cars in this critique - mainly because I more or less only like to drive the FR90xx´s.
But if we take cars with much less downforce then my critique goes also on as example the mentioned P21 and NissanR90.
So eventhough you proudly :D are telling us that deceleration curves does match beautifully (to RL) and are correct(!) then I will still hold on the oppinion that it takes too long after flooring the brakes before the wheels are blocking.:sneaky:

Hehe Ill bet that if I make the same RdAmerica brake test as above with some of Racerooms normal road-ish cars then Im pretty sure its also impossible to get the wheels to lockup instantly - like I can do with my own road car.
Eventhough you say Racerooms deceleration curves does match beautifully.:whistling:

Im thankfull that you posted the Massa video because as I see it(!) then his wheels does lockup instantly eventhough the brakes has to be rather cold(after waiting for start) and the tires reasonably warm(after pit warmers and keeping up temp on install lap).

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Im still pretty sure that if I tried to replicate the video start in Raceroom with the FR90xx F1 then (Postulate:) the wheels wouldnt lockup before the speed was under 80-90kmH.:cautious:

View attachment 342295View attachment 342296
I just tried locking up the tires with the FR X-17 using hard tires, slightly less downforce and low fuel. The tires locked up at 200 km/h, which sounds pretty realistic to me.

Maybe it sounds ok to you.
And that is fine with me.:)
But ask yourself the question: Why do I need to do EVERYTHING that in any way should make it possible to lower the grip so much that the car almost by itself :sneaky: does spin the wheels?
Could it be because you have something that you feel HAS to be proven?

To the contrary of you Im testing this in LB mode where the tires are at optimum temp and the tank include "optimum" 50L fuel.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I have often seen in Racerooms official forum people saying that they want something between hard/soft tires.
Why? Because they say hard tires have so low grip that they are almost impossible to use without sliding.:whistling:

But ask yourself the question: Why do I need to do EVERYTHING that in any way should make it possible to lower the grip so much that the car almost by itself :sneaky: does spin the wheels?
Could it be because you have something that you feel HAS to be proven?
Actually I just reproduced the Ricciardo incident, and I didn't even have another car in front of me causing dirty air.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I have often seen in Racerooms official forum people saying that they want something between hard/soft tires.
Why? Because they say hard tires have so low grip that they are almost impossible to use without sliding.:whistling:
The FR X-17 does have medium tires.

Hehe my fault.:barefoot:
But my point still stand - why didnt you use soft or medium tires?
Did you have something that had to be proven?:whistling:
No, I used the hard tire because it's the normal race tire in longer Raceroom races. I tried it again with the soft tire now and the tires lock up at 190 km/h, so it's just a minor difference.

@maju
You can see my own non-biased test in the post #226
Where I tested and documented the not so extreme downforce cars as FR90V8, P21, NissanR90.
Mainly because I own these cars and furthermore have nothing I HAVE to prove. :roflmao:

Beware Alex 'n team must be doing some voodoo if I compare old content handling with the new stuff, laser scanned physics or smthg, I would stay on the caution side n wouldn't mess around with them, the force seems to be on their side hehe...

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years