Race Remaster

Shadows In TV Cockpit="1" (in your *.PLR file) ?

I thought I read "AI draft".

- If we get rid of the upper (unusefull) part of the specular on the all the shaders we gain some performance?
This SRPL dont have it. (still goes through)
-I have had this feature in one of my versions. The idea is to cut of all negative values in one variable.
It probably was lost in some of the early big changes, but can probably be added again if there is room for it in the shaders. It will probably only have a very small impact on fps.

So it is achievable. Can we have it for all the shaders that use specular?
This is your (same as SRPL?) Cube map spec map T1 leting specular goes through, then we wonder wht it looks cartoonish. No wonder why car dont have any sun reflection:
View attachment 520328

It doesn't look like this at all in Race 07 (or are you referring to the drop shadow only?)
A shader does not know what happens around it unless there is some ray tracing (I don't know much about how that works, and that is a different generation of graphics).

A simple standard diffuse example is:
1. get material normal direction for a pixel,
2. compare how much "equal" the normal is to the direction of light (a vector pointing towards light). If the normal points 75% towards the light the point will be 75% lit = multiply material rgb by 0.75.
3. Add ambient light.

For specular light viewing angle is compared to sun angle/direction at the material normal. The more sun angle and view angle are at reflection angle (compared to each others, on material) the more specular light. This specular value can be added to the earlier diffuse calculation. All this and other things like cube are added in different ways to a final value (0 - 1) for one pixel output.

The shader is no camera as one might think of it, and it can't actually "see".
The only way for the shader to know if there is a shadow on a pixel is to first draw the whole scene from sun position. If the point (its depth) is behind one other calculated pixel it is considered in shadow and this has to be sent to a shadow map before the other things are calculated.
This is the hard part, to make the game do one shadow calculation before every "standard" frame, and send it as input to the other shaders to check each pixel.

I don't use SRPL shaders but updated standard shaders as a base (one fog calculation is from SRPL and one diffuse to bumpmap conversion), but most of the "reloaded" shaders are completely remade now.

Last edited:
This is an very interesting image. Why?
Because I have found out how to add some missing options in the game.

So far I have enabled medium pitcrew detail in the game (that is why there is a lonely fuel rig there). I hope to be able to add next level too, but I have to get the value to put there from a processor register, because there is no room in the code to write the value in.
Edit: I should obviously try to remove one option to make space for the value...

Edit: pitcrew level 2 is in the game :thumbsup:

What I do right now is to add values to the game so it can (hopefully) generate other player file values, so it is not necessary to edit the file manually after installing the remaster.

Compressed Textures="0" // Can give better framerate than "1"
AI to AI Collision Rate="40" // Detection rate per second (1-40) for AI-to-AI collisions
Player Car Equal="0" // Might have something to do with ai catch-up
PostProcessEffect="1" //I don't know if or how this works...
Pitcrew Detail="0" //enable 1 and hopefully 2
Play Movies="1"
Shadows in TV cockpit...

Assembly language is not very easy, but I think my understanding is getting better and better now.

Before it has only been possible by doing this with the help of the CC plugin (and the successor Companian).
This is no reason to stop using these excellent plugins, they add a lot to the game, and I am sure there will be more in the future :D

0733.jpg

Last edited:
Updated first post with the plans for the moment.
I don't know what to do about file size... I guess we have to split the download into 3 or 4 parts sadly.

Just a few Monza screenshots. I like this project, but also want to finish it and move on to other things on my list.
I think this is about as good at it gets this time. Some things to tweak still, but it will not change the graphics very much. Material with more roughness should probably have a little bit less shading. This is how the game is made and how the game looks on more modern hardware than were available in 2007.

149.jpg

150.jpg

Last edited:
Shadows In TV Cockpit="1" (in your *.PLR file) ?

View attachment 520326
Specula or Spectacular - This looks good.:)
Shadows in TV cockpit doesn't work for me.

And thanks for NortDir=270 :thumbsup:
Finally got aligned sun, shadows and latitude on Oschersleben 2006. for Race Remaster.

Btw. SimBin just leave Oschersleben yellowish, with bad trees and call it a year 2006.

Oschersleben 2006 Race2Start = 16:30
Race-remaster-Oschersleben-Latitude52-NortDir-270-a.jpg

Good idea, there are a some empty advertising spaces or Race 07 and Lizard advertising near the tracks. I don't think the final design and the final name is decided in the Ui, but this is a good candidate.

And even if it will be a different style, color or even name I think this logo still could be used as it is.
Nothing wrong with having a few different versions.

Good idea, there are a some empty advertising spaces or Race 07 and Lizard advertising near the tracks. I don't think the final design and the final name is decided in the Ui, but this is a good candidate.

And even if it will be a different style, color or even name I think this logo still could be used as it is.
Nothing wrong with having a few different versions.
He should have added some explanation, as we have been in contact regarding the Logo before. Really appreciate and like his suggestion and think it very much goes into the right direction! Will have to play with it and maybe we need to revisit after defining the graphical identity of the UI and its assets (CI if you like). Oh and we should also at leaat think about the name in sense of copyright or naming rights (AFAIK the name Race is a trademark and so we might need to be careful there).

It should be clear that this is just a mod (actually collection of mods) for SimBin game Race 07.
Well, Race On, Evolution, Race Injection or whatever the name of that game was :D

It's main purpose is to modernise and improve this classic to todays standards (at least what's possible), to bring nice and easy install of selected collection of mods to (hopefully) some new players, for us old far.. to enjoy it and of course it can also give some spotlight to SimBin main product, RaceRoom Racing Experience.

Only problem I can see (and it's era of Remasters, so who knows?) if SimBin decide to unleash Remastered version of Race07.
Than we can call it "Nice collection of mods"
But I think first in the pipeline is GTR3 :D

That's good, I like the style too :thumbsup:
Yes it is good to be careful. Hopefully it is no problem as we don't sell anything and we will be careful so the original game is needed to use the mod.

I have heard that it was used for Race Pro for X-box 360.

Had a look at some ingame action, and it looked nice. Better (or more advanced) reflection and shadows.
I guess the performance of the engine was not good enough, and there are some flickering.

Last edited:
Very interesting about the Lizard engine, it had some good features. Race Pro looked good in some ways, I remember playing it with a friend long time ago.
It could look even better or more realistic if they had turned down the reflections and shadows a little bit. But I understand that when you have added a new cool thing to a game you want it to be visible. The question is why Lizard wasn't used for Raceroom? Wasn't it solid enough, and they needed to get a product out as fast as possible? Was it used for gtr3 at one point? They have said that Raceroom is not the same game as gtr3 (it doesn't sound like the game was changed from one thing to the other, but were two different things). Also wonder if Lizard could handle similar files (meshes, textures, physics)? It would make sense as they converted almost all assets to the game.

Brands Hatch track has had a lot of issues, but it is starting to work much better now.
After removing shadow receiving for the grass/track blends that caused dark areas with double shadows for me and replacing all the tree diffuse materials with tree shader materials the track also runs smoother for me. No more "inside out" trees.
Not really sure why (maybe the tree shader is faster?), but smoother = better :D

151.jpg
152.jpg
153.jpg
154.jpg

Last edited:
While we are at Brands Hatch and trees, @Bjarne Hansen give me a tip to enable cockpit shadows.
It's disabling windshield glass transparency but I think many would like to drive it that way?

Like/ subscribe and we can make additional "No windshields/ Cockpit shadows" "OPTIONS" mod (like in GTR2 HQ Anniversary, as also many would prefer to leave it default). :)

Race-07-cockpit-shadows-1b.jpg

Race-07-cockpit-shadows-2b.jpg

Race-07-cockpit-shadows-3b.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back