Race Remaster

About the going through specular, sadly there is no way I know of to tell the shader if something or at least the object itself is blocking the light.
The sun flare effect gets blocked by objects, but I think it is handled in game logic somehow
maybe these not much used settings work?
HorizonMaxHeight =
HorizonMinHeight =
haven't tried that myself.
And of course the track landscape is not always flat...
I made a test where the 'upwards' specular reflection was blocked, but it looked weird too. Solving this is on the 'wish list'.

I am quite happy with the water shader, it uses a series of bump maps for shape animation and a cube map for reflections. If we could access the track reflection data that is used for rain reflection that would be really cool. I use light amount to decide how much blue color to add, but the best thing would be to reflect sky color as in real life.

I think GTR2 is more sensible for shadows as I have heard that it is takes cpu resources, and that game is made for one core. Or it could be something else track dependent? It works quite well here.

Last edited:
Received and imported some edited track settings from @Incredible Hulk
Also imported updated tree textures (the original textures was quite special and didn't work well with the shaders). Much better now and more consistent with other tracks. My tree shaders still needs some tweaking to work with very green and bright tree textures.

Brands Hatch is the most challenging track to fix. It has many manual shadow overlays that don't work so well for the moment. Maybe it is caused by the same transparency issue as the tyre marks.

I think it is time for some track + shaders beta testing soon @MJQT

148.jpg

When realizing how much space and also time this work takes I think it would be wise to limit this remaster to wtcc 06 - 07 with tracks, cars and ui.
The pack is already 1.78GB unzipped without UI, intro movie and one or two more tracks...

Later addons/expansions could be STCC (cars and tracks), more WTCC years (or just Tinytweaks?) and possibly GT

About the going through specular. Maybe is not a matter of "blocking" like in the shadows.

I think I have seen writen in the shaders the word "backside" and it cant be impossible as there would be no diference between direct and ambien light in a wall.
I think heard something about AC use "double faced objects" or something, at least, to do the trick with the shadows.

You maybe dont realize how this is ruining the scene as I just show one of the effects and on sunset. But I also "tints" every "speculared" wall, armco, etc. at every different sun angle of the day. Changing the textures ambient color and producing an obnoxious effect while you are driving next to armco´s.
This are the type of things that makes this game look cartoonish. And if this and shadows get fixed, then is just a matter of chose the right textures.
IDK but at the moment, and after all this years, you are the only one that can help on make the difference.

error in L2ShadowProject it says "File=ps20_shadowProj" (not used?)

About shadows: so, if we take all of our shadow objects and make them as one "single object" the shadows casted from "them" would not overlap on each other?
Because they will be treated as one single object right? like a car.
So we can make those objects with a texture (and not use "solid") so it would look more cool?

I agree we need a fix... In my tests it look ok daytime (depending on light settings obviously, but worse with tinted sun)
As far as I know we can check if current vertex is part of a backside polygon (from view space and possible light direction too). I have read that horizon needs double sided meshes in rfactor for shadow casting (same as you describe). The hard thing is to tell the information if something is blocking the sun from one material or pixel to another. In other games a (single?) shadow map is used for that. This map is generated in the first "shader pass" and then imported into the next "real" shader. This is usually called by the game itself.
In "our" games or at least in Race 07 one new shadow map is made for every object and applied afterwards. It is hard to know exactly how the game does it, but if we can access shadow maps in the shaders or somehow add a shadow shader before the other shaders and pass the information it should in theory be possible to make the real shadows we want.
There are "passes" in the gfx files and outputs in the shader files, so who knows, maybe it is possible?

You are right about making a single object only casts one shadow without overlaps. The downside is it is made on one shadow map with limited resolution. So the bigger the object is, the lower relative resolution. Sometimes this isn't a problem. It is a good idea to group nearby objects that are risking to have shadow overlaps as one shadow object.

I usually add separate low poly shadow caster objects to tracks for this.

GTR2 uses as much cores as you want.
Just push Ctrl+ Alt+ Supr (task manager) go to PROCESS Tab and right CLIC on GTR2 / Establish Affinity and select the cores.
(It is weird but I have to have open "Dxtory" so it runs really smooth and have more FPS)
nearby objects that are risking to have shadow overlaps
I understand but every shadow is in risk to overlap soon or late. (sunrise or sunset)
But i guess they could be separated at both side of the track.
Anyway, I dont know how to do this objects or anything "3d model" related. Like "duplicate" trees.

REQUEST If someone has the *.GFX file or "the shaders" of Reiza AMS please upload and put here the link.

BTW here´s the link to AndreasFSC new shaders (all these we are talking about):
Misc - Reloaded Shaders for Race 07 (open beta 1) | Page 2 | RaceDepartment

At least Steam version of GTR2 is one big function loop, maybe that has something to do with it? Or something else...
I am making some shadow pass tests now to see if I can figure out how it works, we'll see if I find something.

@Incredible Hulk do you mean in cockpit view?

Just a quick note. Have been working on the UI drafts, but unfortunately don't have much more than approx 60min. available during the week. So might take a couple of days for the next previews ;)
I'm afraid I was wrong. Actually had almost two hours today (great times when kiddo goes to bed early and sleeps "well" for a couple of hours). So here comes the Forza Horizon 5 inspired main menu screen draft - but please note:
  • The logo is just a quick draft and especially the "21" looks very off (likely because of the scaling and conversion from vector to bitmap).
  • The screen is lacking some features. I would like to add so many things but I'm expecting that we cannot build them into the UI. Car name (as included in the draft) and track name should probably be available and could be shown, but not fully sure (IIRC it was possible in rF1 so should be in Race).
  • The draft does very much look like the original. That should of course be modified to give it a more unique and Race-like touch (color-wise for instance).
  • The sizes and therewith the sharpness/clearness will definitely be different in the Race UI compared to the draft due to the UI resolution being hard-coded to a low-res resolution (as Andreas already noted earlier).

Last edited:
Is that Rfactor font?

I have tried a lot to edit the tga fonts, but no luck. There are several tga font generators, but none of them makes the right type :unsure:
I would like to replace some ingame graphics (flag warnings etc) that is also in a tga font.

Is that Rfactor font?

I have tried a lot to edit the tga fonts, but no luck. There are several tga font generators, but none of them makes the right type :unsure:
I would like to replace some ingame graphics (flag warnings etc) that is also in a tga font.
The rFactor1 font? No, this is called Aero. It was just the first I found in my collection that looked a little like the font in Forza :roflmao:

The TGA fonts are somewhat special. Will definitely try to make one later when preparing the assets for the UI. But first we should decide the general design and prepare all the layouts. That will be my next things to do.

without shadows in cockpit
Shadows In TV Cockpit="1" (in your *.PLR file) ?
working on the UI drafts
I thought I read "AI draft".

- If we get rid of the upper (unusefull) part of the specular on the all the shaders we gain some performance?
This SRPL dont have it. (still goes through)
srpl bump spec map.JPG
- The standard Cube map spec map add grayscale reflect T1 dont let specular goes through:
GRAB_001.JPG
So it is achievable. Can we have it for all the shaders that use specular?
This is your (same as SRPL?) Cube map spec map T1 leting specular goes through, then we wonder wht it looks cartoonish. No wonder why car dont have any sun reflection:
GRAB_000.JPG
So if you have water improved reflections already and you now add this "not goes throuhg" spec it should be a big step for standard shaders right?

Attachments

• GRAB_000.JPG
    GRAB_000.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • Prizes