AC Race #1 FAT-ALFIE's Championship@Thomson, Wednesday 18th August 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Full results are here:

Great fun, really enjoyed the racing, especially with @Interslice, @Douglas Aird and @Dzul :thumbsup:
But I think the best was going side by side with @HF2000 through the snakes :cool:

Didn't make a close acquaintance with a lamppost, only one spin, missed by braking point for the first hairpin. Douglas did well to miss me and got past, but Raul didn't and I was blocking his way for what probably felt like ages, sorry!!!

And thanks to all the Audi drivers, the considerate lapping was very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the next race!!
Congrats to both podiums and to Han for organising the championship!!

I am very sorry for my "****ing up royally" in corner one after joking about it :notworthy:

I even did my due diligence and chose a braking point from the right.
Just missed it about two zip codes.

If we could do this in person the first sets ( beer/shot) were on me :redface:

MFG Carsten
No worries Carsten, For a second or two I did feel like Lando Norris at T1 at the Hungaroring as I was a merely a passenger after your ‘ Bottas bump’!:O_o:
But your ‘assist’ actually helped me as the extra speed you provided allowed me to pass a car (Richard I think) that got me off the start line. But it was a miracle that I didn’t collect anyone else. Also the bump pushed me to the outside of T1 and I managed to mostly avoid the incident up ahead that involved Ernie etc. Otherwise I would have been on the inside and probably would have got caught up in the mess.
After testing various set ups and strategies, I went for a splash and dash pit stop and stayed on the same set of mediums for the whole race. This gave me some good early pace when I went past Michael, but whenever I got near Colin, I caught traffic and wasted any advantage. So my quick pit stop distanced me from a charging Richard B and put me behind Ernie and Michael’s battle.

When Michael binned it in a lampost in The Snake, , Ernie was off like a rat up a drainpipe and my mediums were well past their best by now and I knew I had to look after them to make it to the finish.
I guessed Ernie was going to gap me to get in and out of the pits before I caught him but he seemed to have a long stop and I found myself in a comfortable P2 where I stayed to the finish. Totally unexpected!
But what a great event, plenty of action and the strategies and pit stops added that extra unknown.
Well done to all for competing, thanks to all the Mazda guys for giving me room when I was lapping and thanks Han for organising. :thumbsup:

Didn't make a close acquaintance with a lamppost, only one spin, missed by braking point for the first hairpin. Douglas did well to miss me and got past, but Raul didn't and I was blocking his way for what probably felt like ages, sorry!!!

And thanks to all the Audi drivers, the considerate lapping was very much appreciated :thumbsup:

No worries @Taj Johal, I knew Doug was on my left so I could only try to go right around your car, but the gap was gone when I got there... that happens in racing. I did enjoy our scraps later on! I had good battles with you, @Douglas Aird, @a_murel and @Interslice . Too bad I lost it on the last sector... and kissed a lamp post when trying to catch up with Doug 'coz that cost me not just time but places :( Tyres were fading fast on me during the last laps and I was not being careful enough on the chase. I had several incidents, that lamp post that stopped me to a halt, our hairpin encounter and the first corner which I managed to wade through by trading paint, but also some barrier scraping while chasing Doug or defending from Andre.

I second your thanks to all Audi drivers for the considerate lapping, clear comms really helped there. :thumbsup: Congratulations to the winners! I collected as many points as Verstappen did in Hungary so, I'll call it a good start of the Championship for me, haha. :laugh:

Great racing once more chaps and thanks for organising it Han... looking forward to the next one! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the race guys!
I really struggled to get up to pace with the Audi. On this track I've found it to only really turn when being between 10% of braking and 20% of throttle. No inputs = understeer though.

I had no rhythm, some wrong lines and after T1, no one in front of me to learn from.

Managed to get through half the field of Mazdas throughout Lap 1 and then lapped on my own.
Ernie appeared behind me and quickly caught up. I let him through at the end of the lap and put myself behind him to learn.
First lap 1.5s faster than before, second lap 2s faster :geek::geek:

He dissappeared but I slowly started to get the pedal-dance right, swing through the snake, getting up to pace.

I decided to do a super late pitstop and hope for Audis being close to me after their stop to make my race a bit more fun.

Worked as a Charme! Colin was super close in front and we battled for multiple laps. Side by side passing Mazdas, adrenaline pumping very much! :D

All went well and we swapped positions a few times until I managed to clip a lamppost with the indestructable right outside mirror.

Colin was gone but I didn't lose any position. Decided to do my 1L stop, going onto the grass at the exitt as a Mazda went around the hairpin a bit faster than I thought.. Oops! And then Neil was only 4s behind me.

I was looking forward to test my pace against him and depending on his gap, asking for some battling for fun but he had to do his pitstop and dropped back.
@Neilski how many seconds did you have left? Looked like pitting at 10:0001 to me :roflmao:

During the last laps I saw Colin dropping back closer to me and then he spun :(
I was looking forward to battling with him throughout the last few laps and chatting about how much fun it was but I knew his mood would be bad from that point on.

Went across the line, managed to do a nice 180 spin just by steering inputs and watched the rest flying by :p

About the Mazdas:
You all did a great job whenever I appeared behind you. I sometimes felt like doing a dive bomb and I want to apologize for that!
One Mazda seemed to be surprised and then spun in my mirrors :(
The understeer when I had to change away from my rhythm through the turns was bad and I couldn't fully judge when and how to get past.

Hope I didn't annoy you too much!

Last edited:
That was a very interesting race

Allan mentioned after a training session that the tyres were just holding on,
this made me deside that I would also change my tyres and I would drive my 2 stints flatout!

So this ment I was in attack mode, but this all went out of the window after the start,
crashing in the first corner wit an Audi, being last of the field...

This made me play catching up and got some good fights with Han, Doug, Taj & Raul

I ended up 6th so points in the bag! Taking ito account that this was not my track at all.

Overall I think everybody showed we can deal with a difficult track, traffic and
close racing with almost making no mistakes!

A deep bow to the winner Allan who downgraded the entire field with his speed on this track.

Cheers

Just a thought
I really have no problems running with cold tyres, i alway as in the first corner with Neil make sure any sudden movement is covered by an open space. Which in this case was required. No space more care, no move.
Plus I am virtually never thinking about an overtake until the first lap is completed, I want to know everyone’s pace compared to mine, overtaking from my point of view on the first corner of a 60 minute race with a pit stop is very close to pointless at our club level racing with all its problems.

I could have gone and probably succeeded on an overtake on Neil from the start, but on cold tyres it was a risk, plus he is quicker, I would find it much easier to follow than be his next target from then on. So I backed out of an overtake.

A waffly way of saying, is Cold tyres a good idea, even after what I have said above, mostly irrespective of their qualifying place, most will go for a multi car banzai overtake in the first corner.
Which is exactly what happened. :)

I quite enjoy this track but it gave me a hard race last night.

Didn't start well as my setup wouldn't validate - never had that before and thought the file had got corrupted. After much head scratching I noticed the front ride height was showing red in the car status. It would appear that my minimal ride height, heavy fuel load and no tyre blankets had tipped it over the edge. I could either raise the ride height or abandon my splash and dash strategy. I opted for a lower fuel load as I didn't want to mess with setup at this late state.

Quali went well and I somehow managed 3rd. Fantastic time by Neil - don't know how he did that!

The start went well and I kept to the inside of the hairpin. I noticed Ernie had understeered to the outside of the corner so maintained my line around the corner. Ernie seemed to clip the side of my car as he turned back onto the track and I saw the ensuing mayhem in my mirrors. I honestly didn't think I'd caused the pile up so didn't wait. In the spirit of learning I'd welcome others view.

I then had a quite few laps as Paul started to catch. He got close a few times but seemed to drop back in traffic.

My pitstop was longer than intended (see above) and I popped out 10secs behind Paul.

I then had a good battle with Rasmus for a few laps. He managed to get past and them binned it into a tree. This track really punishes mistakes.

Soon after that I had Ernie in my mirrors and I made a right mess trying to pass Han going over the hill on the long straight. I clipped the grass on the left and I was struggling to keep the car straight. In the middle of my impending crash Ernie helped me out and we both went off - Sorry Ernie for that one. This let Richard past.

I'd now got Ernie and Michael behind me. It was really hard trying to get past the Mazda's with TTs breathing down my neck. I then made another right mess trying to get pass Han (again!) and stuffed it in a barrier.

My final off occurred at the hairpin where I completely messed up my braking and let Rasmus past.

Almost all the drama happened after 40mins - can we go back to this length please :)

Last edited:
I noticed Ernie had understeered to the outside of the corner so maintained my line around the corner. Ernie seemed to clip the side of my car as he turned back onto the track and I saw the ensuing mayhem in my mirrors. I honestly didn't think I'd cause the pile up so didn't wait. In the spirit of learning I'd welcome others view.
Just had a look at the replay. I wouldn't say you're at fault or anything. You could've avoided it though I think, same for Ernie.
Ernie went wide to keep distance to Neil, then you both want to go for the middle of the racing line. Ernie goes too tight, you go a bit towards the outside without keeping it tighter (which is difficult since the Audi instantly goes wide when you press the throttle...).

So I'd call it a racing incident. Both cars wanting the same piece of tarmac.

The real problem was that kerb as you can see here:
photo_2021-08-19_13-23-46.jpg

The floor is lower than the tyre and AC only has a 1-point contact model and not the best collision physics.. You can see in the replay how the normally super stable Audi just insta-spins in that moment. Ernie rotated onto the track and got collected.
Did hurt to watch it but this stuff happens. It's awesome that we can race these combinations in AC, but in situations like this it shows its limitations :(

I then had a good battle with Rasmus for a few laps. He managed to get past and them binned it into a tree. This track really punishes mistakes.
While we're onto the physics limitations of AC:
photo_2021-08-19_13-25-58.jpg

Indestructible mirrors... Or the collision-box is a bit wider than the car but I didn't hit it! :cautious::roflmao:

Just had a look at the replay. I wouldn't say you're at fault or anything. You could've avoided it though I think, same for Ernie.
Ernie went wide to keep distance to Neil, then you both want to go for the middle of the racing line. Ernie goes too tight, you go a bit towards the outside without keeping it tighter (which is difficult since the Audi instantly goes wide when you press the throttle...).

The real problem was that kerb as you can see here:View attachment 496838

The floor is lower than the tyre and AC only has a 1-point contact model and not the best collision physics.. You can see in the replay how the normally super stable Audi just insta-spins in that moment. Ernie rotated onto the track and got collected.
Did hurt to watch it but this stuff happens. It's awesome that we can race these combinations in AC, but in situations like this it shows its limitations :(

While we're onto the physics limitations of AC:
View attachment 496839
Indestructible mirrors... Or the collision-box is a bit wider than the car but I didn't hit it! :cautious::roflmao:

Looks like there is already damage on the car... Or maybe you had already had some bangs!?

What do you mean by a 1 point contact model? was trying to figure out if my ferrari was hitting the ground at RA. I can never tell if the bottom out sounds are the car hitting the ground or just the suspension reaching it limit...

Last edited:
First bang was Andy's front when he was pointing backwards :cry::barefoot:
And then a bit here and there and everywhere haha.
But as long as the pit menu doesn't switch to "repair: yes", it's all good. :D

Such fast replys! See my edit! If the side skirts hit the ground they do cause an collision do you know?

more edit... oh that's not a side skirt. I can see they have a flat floor in showroom :o

Last edited:
Yeah, I reckon I agree, having just watched some bits of replay myself. And I can totally see how both Ernie and Colin would have felt, at that moment, that they were not to blame.
@Neilski how many seconds did you have left? Looked like pitting at 10:0001 to me :roflmao:
ROFL! Well, I thought it was less than a minute, but judging from the replay it was actually more like a minute and 15 seconds! :roflmao:

Such fast replys! See my edit! If the side skirts hit the ground they do cause an collision do you know?

more edit... oh that's not a side skirt. I can see they have a flat floor in showroom :o
Yep... When the audi bottoms out, it starts to swim!

About the 1-point contact model:
Basically the full tyre physics come down to a little patch in the middle of the tyre. I don't have full knowledge about how it really works but basically if that one contact point has no contact to the tarmac anymore, it slips. Grip to 0 afaik.
So you have the surfaces.ini where all the different surfaces of each track are specified.
Grass with a lower grip multiplier, tarmac with 1.0 as multiplier.
The contact point can only be on one surface at a time.
Which also means that when it's bouncing over a kerb, it goes into full binary grip mode :roflmao:
Mostly it's not an issue but acc had the same model but different 3D kerbs and when you Google "acc kerb of death", you'll see that cars just insta-spun when the tyre was too long on the air.

They patched/updated a 5-point model into it a few months (or years?) ago and now you have, in example:
One point in the air, one on the kerb, one on the tarmac, 2 on the grass.
The average grip is calculated or some other fancy algorithm and the tyre maintains grip instead of just making your car a 3-wheeler for short moments.

With this 5 point model, acc would probably have Ernie a bit more grip and he might have saved it. But with only one contact point.. No chance!

Oh I forgot: no idea if the sound means floor scraping or riding the packers. I guess I should find out and put some gt3 cars to the highest settings and the smallest suspension travel and then test if you get the sound :p

And then test again full travel and lowest ride height for comparison..

Last edited:
I think the funniest thing, not at the time though, was when I went into the pits, flew through the barriers decided to shortcut across the grass missing out on a lot of tarmac.
Only to find I went smack bang into an invisible wall, I think at that point I knew it was not my day. :D :D :D :D

OIP (2).jpg

I think the funniest thing, not at the time though, was when I went into the pits, flew through the barriers decided to shortcut across the grass missing out on a lot of tarmac.
Only to find I went smack bang into an invisible wall, I think at that point I knew it was not my day. :D :D :D :D

View attachment 496975
I'll have to watch my pit entry but I remember that I was thinking "alright, the car in front of me will have turned in far enough for me to just go flat out into the pits."
Geeeeeeez nope! Car in front about 40 kph, me at almost 200 kph. Went slightly onto the outside grass (remember, never go for the inside in situations like these! :p), slammed the brakes to not full on crash into the left chicane-barrier, over rotated, lifted the brakes, caught the car and braked again for the hairpin.

After that, I was pretty awake again :roflmao: :roflmao: :barefoot:

At least I couldn't hit the invisible wall... Probably flew past that wall while trying not to die :D

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies