PC3 Project CARS 3 to Change Focus?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell recently revealed PCARS 3 is in development, and now hints have been dropped that the direction of the title might change for the next release.

The Project CARS series of games have, up until this point, been heavily focussed on a wide selection or road and race cars from a wide variety of different disciplines of motorsport - giving players the opportunity to drive such varied machines as top tier open wheel cars, to stockcar, touring cars, GTs, historic and road going performance machines.

Although the scope of the previous two versions of the game are indeed admirable, some could argue that potentially Slightly Mad Studios looked to become a jack of all trades with their game content, and as a result became the master of none.

This appears to have been noted by the decision makers back at SMS, as Ian Bell once again took to the internet to drop a few hints about the next release - suggesting that maybe Slightly Mad Studios would look to return to their roots somewhat, and produce an experience more akin to the earlier Need for Speed Shift release of 2009.

“I’ll let you know that pCARS3 will be more ‘focused’… More ‘fun’…" said Bell over on the GT Plant forums. "We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We’ve learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let’s call it, ‘sub-optimal’…

“pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates… The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.”
Ian Bell does refer to the desire to retain the "sim goodness" of PCARS 1 & 2, however the shift (ha ha) towards an experience more closely aligned to the Need for Speed series does suggest that the new title could take itself a little less seriously than has been the case in the past, and leads one to wonder if a more arcade slant is to be applied to the title than has been the case in the past.

With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure, however SMS pitch the new title, it will be very interesting to hear and read what is said on the build up to release of what is surely going to be another very interesting piece of software from the prolific game studio.

Check out the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
I think simcade is clearly a marketing choice to make easy money : easy to produce as all cars will have quite the same behaviour, easy to sell to kids as long as it is shiny and not too complicated to play with : it gives you instant fun but after x laps/races then you get bored as it is all the same. Sadly for us, hardcore simracing will stay a market niche and so few studios will be really interested in... Please welcome back MicroProse/Papyrus/Sierra :D

Last edited:
Why don't we just let SMS do what they want to do? You can either buy their product or not. You might like it, you might not. I quite like Pcars 2 as a fun game now and then. But to me it's just another game to choose when I feel like it.
I feel Bell only has himself to blame for the animosity on the web with his mistaken strategy on talking down to customers who then spread vitriol against SMS whenever they felt the need. So self inflicted punishment and that caused the bad reputation in the end.
They are moving towards console and mobile so let them do it. It really doesn't make any difference to any one.
So I say, just treat the next game as just another game. It will either make it or it wont and we can buy it, play it or ignore it.
Happy New year folks.:thumbsup:

Reiza and AMS is a prime example, an excellent all round sim, that I am sure the majority can agree on.
Avg daily user. 120
https://steamcharts.com/app/431600
How they continue to afford licenses and feed there families is beyond me, but I am glad they keep doing it!

thats because ams looks and sounds like a ps2 game, as an overall package for a game it's terrible, just because it gets one aspect done well (physics) doesn't make it appealing when everything else in the game is crap

I am a sim racer for many years including rfactor 1 and 2, AC, ACC, lfs, iracing. I must say i didi not like pcars1 at all. I hesitated to buy pcars2 and concentrated on rfactor2 and ac. But then I bought pcars2 because of a big discount. Then I spent a loooooot of time finetuning graphics on vr and of course ffb. Now since all is finally tuned, I must admit that the driving feels the most convincing in all of the sims Ive tried so far. First time on the track I really have to be careful and wait until tires heat up and rubber is laid down (but not sliding like on ice, tires have grip but just less then when heated up). Its amazing to feel grip is coming and tires starting to grab the track. More and more. And here you feel tire flex. real rubber. Amazing. And the car feels moving on the track. In AC, the car is much more linear. And in the rain the fun starts. Puddles and different amount of water on different sections on the track. To me this is a true sim. I never imagined myself to praise a pcars game. But they really did a great job!

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents...
SMS hints they are going to focus on single or less race disciplines and give players a better progression between them...this sounds more like a move against Simbin GTR3 in my opinion...and it sounds like a plan (no idea if a bad or good one) from a market point of view...
Maybe flying lower (saying you are going to be a big and better sim before release of previous titles wasn't really a good move) this time will let people appreciate more the good points behind SMS work.

The numbers do not lie, this is for fanboys, trolls, etc. While AC has higher numbers of users, (which are not as many compared to Project Cars 2), AC has more years of development. The rest of the simulators are far below, where will be those who make bad comments on PC2 on this page, the one of these numbers for sure.
Excuse trolls, fanboys, PC2 seems to be a good product.

The amount of users do not reflect about the product quality.
I am not an fanboy etc.
SMS had 2 chances and two times i have wasted my money on this unfortunate attempts.
First game was just excitement, second part was good talking of friends but it turend into this that PC2 is like a flashbang. First impression may to dazzle but then the true shows up.
For me its a nice looking game. Thats all. The third chance will SMS not get from me.

• Deleted member 379375

When I bought PC1 there had been a drought of PC (personal computer) sims ,I along with many others I'm sure bought it along with AC out of excitement and to support sims on the PC.

As stated, make a good game, support it, finish it and be nice to purchasers, It's not rocket science.
With the sales PC1 made it wouldn't have been to difficult to keep the base sweet and progress from there.

The numbers do not lie, this is for fanboys, trolls, etc. While AC has higher numbers of users, (which are not as many compared to Project Cars 2), AC has more years of development. The rest of the simulators are far below, where will be those who make bad comments on PC2 on this page, the one of these numbers for sure.
Excuse trolls, fanboys, PC2 seems to be a good product.

Only if we know which is which. :)

we are dont need your pathetic content Mr Bell. Stop it.Enough! :O_o:
Why? Imagine if everyone stopped creating racing games, just because someone doesn't like it. No way.
I'm glad if Ian Bell goes on, just like I'm happy if Codemasters keep on creating new games.
The answer is simple: if I won't like the product, I won't buy it.

I really hope the 3rd version of their game will be simulative. I'd prefer it to be focused on a specific Racing Series with DLCs dedicated to other Series, but reading the article, the idea of a Need for Speed-like game, doesn't attract me that much. We'll see.

Only read one comment and it was full of hate, pretty sure all the others are the same but I like project cars 2, looks good, loads of content, feels good on my ts-pc racer wheel, is it the most realistic feeling game? don't know, don't care...never driven a race car fast on a track.

Played a few of the other racing games and while they may be more "sim" like going by the comments on the web I just found them to either not look very good, have too little content or just not be fun...any way bring on the "Haha" and "Disagree" icons

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back