PC3 Project CARS 3 to Change Focus?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Head Ian Bell recently revealed PCARS 3 is in development, and now hints have been dropped that the direction of the title might change for the next release.

The Project CARS series of games have, up until this point, been heavily focussed on a wide selection or road and race cars from a wide variety of different disciplines of motorsport - giving players the opportunity to drive such varied machines as top tier open wheel cars, to stockcar, touring cars, GTs, historic and road going performance machines.

Although the scope of the previous two versions of the game are indeed admirable, some could argue that potentially Slightly Mad Studios looked to become a jack of all trades with their game content, and as a result became the master of none.

This appears to have been noted by the decision makers back at SMS, as Ian Bell once again took to the internet to drop a few hints about the next release - suggesting that maybe Slightly Mad Studios would look to return to their roots somewhat, and produce an experience more akin to the earlier Need for Speed Shift release of 2009.

“I’ll let you know that pCARS3 will be more ‘focused’… More ‘fun’…" said Bell over on the GT Plant forums. "We went to insane lengths with variation in pCARS2 and with that comes infinite balancing issues. We’ve learned a lesson here and although we have no intention of reducing content, we know what we need to fix, where we made design decisions that were, let’s call it, ‘sub-optimal’…

“pCARS3 will be more of a spiritual successor to Shift, but with all of the sim goodness everyone appreciates… The key focus though is on fun and not biting off more than we can properly chew and digest.”
Ian Bell does refer to the desire to retain the "sim goodness" of PCARS 1 & 2, however the shift (ha ha) towards an experience more closely aligned to the Need for Speed series does suggest that the new title could take itself a little less seriously than has been the case in the past, and leads one to wonder if a more arcade slant is to be applied to the title than has been the case in the past.

With PCARS 1 & 2 failing to match the quality of other sim racing titles the likes of rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and AMS, and with new games from Reiza Studios and the Early Access Assetto Corsa Competizione from Kunos in the works, a move towards a more fun and light hearted experience is probably not a bad idea for PCARS and the new title - quite how the end result will pan out remains to be seen.

One thing is for sure, however SMS pitch the new title, it will be very interesting to hear and read what is said on the build up to release of what is surely going to be another very interesting piece of software from the prolific game studio.

Check out the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news, discussion and features on this sequel release to the hugely popular Project CARS franchise of games.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
The reality is that there is almost no audience for hardcore simulators anymore. These games aren't "fun" in a traditional sense, everybody knows it, and people have had the better part of two decades to figure out whether they enjoy the concept of a hardcore sim or not. Spoiler alert: An overwhelming majority don't.
Exactly, this is why I often feel that it is my "obligation" to support any game devs that persistently walk the "hardcore sim" path

Last edited:
Now you understand.

The fact that there needs to be a market for your product isn't a new or hard to grasp concept, and you have over simplified it to the point of delusion.

There are plenty of failed games aimed at different segments of the market, including some really dumb ones. Focusing on the largest market isn't a recipe for success, No more then targeting a niche is a recipe for failure.

My biggest concern, and I was a fund supported with pCARS, but my concern is SMS is developing a reputation much like Milestone. Sure SMS releases more patches but they seem to have more bugs. Whatever happen to releasing a game 98% complete and tweaking the last 2% with a couple patches.

I know we've all said it before... just use GTR2 as a roadmap "Ian Bell" that game was next to perfect for everyone. Had a driving school, assist, career... and many other options. Add a little FM4/GT flair and BAM... it's not Rocket Science.

I did like SHIFT... but it's physics were horrible. I still don't really like pC2 physics (although improved)…. Best of Luck to SMS.*-

One more thought... anyone every play APEX for Xbox back in the day. It was arcade, (so not that aspect) but the career was really cool. You had to win races, build up your garage and team, develop cars with engineering, even down to selecting which plans to develop... eventually you hired a sexy PR person all the time while working towards the championship. Just saying... was over

Apex Game Summary:
Summary: Now you can race against some of the world's best-known cars with your own brand of sports car. You'll start off with a small garage, where you can create your own driving machine, and then you can go into business as the up-and-coming sports car manufacturer. Your goal is to build a reputation for your brand by racing your cars against real sports cars. The more races you win the greater pedigree your brand receives. If you consistently win races, you can start a production line, sell your cars, design new vehicles, and continue the cycle

Last edited:
UUHHGG!........I spent money on PC1 and PC2 , only to be completely disappointed in the FFB and physic's , that it completely ruined the game for me. Race 07 has better FFB and physic's then PC1 and PC2. I will never , ever support a damn developer that continues to put out games that are 90% done , and then move onto the next one. I personally will never put one more dime towards purchasing anything from SMS. It's a complete CON as far as I'm concerned! I honestly feel ripped off I ever bought either one of them!

I'm a crappy bunghole of a driver but I can at least get around in other sims - Project CARS 2 was an exercise in abject misery for me, could not get any of the cars to behave. Maybe they can do something about the whack handling before planning a 3rd game.

• Deleted member 379375

I wouldn't call it a decline in IQ, but you're on the right track.

The reality is that there is almost no audience for hardcore simulators anymore. These games aren't "fun" in a traditional sense, everybody knows it, and people have had the better part of two decades to figure out whether they enjoy the concept of a hardcore sim or not. Spoiler alert: An overwhelming majority don't.

This doesn't mean every car game should be a clone of Need for Speed, but for devs it's going to make them prioritize game-y elements like Driver XP and Car Customization over a 12th tire model revision.

I think it's Horses for courses, it you want arcade buy a console, Hardcore sim racing has been enjoyed for decades on the PC. What sim racers don't appreciate is the watering down of their products at the whim of marketing men.

In every walk of life there are dedicated devotees producing and enjoying high quality products for niche markets. As was said in Kunos's forum there is an issue that hardcore PC sim racers will spend a fortune on a rig and yet seem reluctant to pay the real cost of producing a quality product, hence the pressure to arcadify. This does not excuse miss-selling or buggy incomplete software.

Just because they release a new game doesn't mean we all have to buy it, be massively disappointed because we didn't do enough research and then post angry messages on RD :D

No matter if they release a single-series hardcore-sim or an arcade racer with car customization - there will be players loving it and others being disappointed.

I say: The more the merrier.
Every new racing game has the potential to increase the playercount in those sims we drive which absolutely benefits us in the long run.
We don't need to buy and play games we don't like :)

Perhaps the best choice SMS can do. The PC-series is very controversial topic within the sim-racing community. Not to say...not accepted because of it's shortcomings especially with physics.

Personally I don't need any successor of PC2. I don't drive PC2 anymore, and it doesn't matter what comes next.

This doesn't mean every car game should be a clone of Need for Speed, but for devs it's going to make them prioritize game-y elements like Driver XP and Car Customization over a 12th tire model revision.
Maybe the fact that the audience is getting younger and less likely to have any experience with controlling something fast and fun irl, and might have some bearing on who would find "Hardcore simulations" fun vs NFS, Shift, or Forza. But I would like to think that realism would be at the top of the fun list for anyone, because until you break traction in a car (4,5, or 6spd manual transmission) with plenty of torque and HP, then you can't explain what true fun is in a car! (yes dry pavement only pls, and no traction or stability systems engaged)
I actually find a "disconnect" between what I want in a simulator and what we've seen from Reiza, Kunos, SMS, RF2, R3E, iRacing, with track racing and racing series cars being the main attraction. (AC came the closest) I want all the racing cars and tracks too, but I want to experience what I can't anymore without losing my license etc. That's what I'm looking for now. (while being realistic as possible in both physics and "real world" environment) THAT is what I want...Scare the **** out of me, ya know what I mean? Fishtale through intersections with parked cars along the streets. (which is why drifting is a lot of fun if you can afford it) Track racing is boring tbh, (still fun to race though, but too common now) which is why I want something different and "Hardcore". NFS and Shift with top physics to be straight to the point. I'll pay for that. Please.

*LOL< I thought "NFS and Shift" were city driving games. oops.

Last edited:
hmmm I'm disappointed with the news:( I do agree (and have always said) SMS bit off more than they could chew, but to mention Shift? That IMO is the wrong focus. SMS should continue what they are doing but (initially) reduce the car content/type and concentrate on getting the base tyre physics 100% sorted in all conditions/scenario's.

Seriously considering starting up a new simracing (hate) blog.

You'd be perfect with your hypocritical toxic nature...go for it, just don't moan that the sim YOU prefer is also slagged off (but I'm sure you'd white knight that like you always do).

to ban players from their forums for complaining about game issues is just a childish act, sure there not the only Dev to take that action, and sadly, won't be the last either.

Just got to mention this as it comes up time and time again (and I did it myself in the past), apart from a few exceptions the VAST majority of mods on forums are NOT employees of the game devs, so to blame SMS for that is stupid. I can recall one VERY abusive knobwit getting banned on Ian's request, but NOT for complaining about the game.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.4%