Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are all excited for this release. What I don't know is how many people intend to a) play it on the xbox one and b) would like to join some sort of a formal league here at Race Department.

There are so many possibilities, I've had to calm myself down from getting lost in them. However, my main passion, IndyCar, will probably not be able to be run until the DLC with the ovals comes to the Xbox One.

That said, what sort of series would you like to see? Personally, ones that come to mind are Tudor United Sports Car Series, WEC, British Touring Car, and DTM. One of these could fill the gap for me until IndyCar is possible, but others may have better ideas.

Please indicate below if you are interested and what sort of times you are available and which series' you prefer. We could follow the actual schedule of many a series, due to the timing of the release. Personally, if they get the ovals out before IndyCar starts, I'll probably turn my focus there, but nothing would prevent running another alongside.

The anticipation is killing me! :sick:

Also here's a couple tuning guides for people like me who aren't good at it. They do a great job of explaining what each tune-able part of the car does. The Assetto one also tries somewhat to list the items in the order that you should tune them. (IE: springs should be first, wings/splitters should be last) The first one is reading. It's for Assetto Corsa, but a lot of it applies well to PCARS from what I'm told. The second one is a video that is made for, and based on, PCars.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-car-setup-guides.99049/

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ide-steering-castor-guide-3d-now-live.327780/

You'll get used to driving Cockpit view once you do it enough. But its the best perspective as far as being in a car. You just use your rear view a lot and try to be aware of who's around you even using the Track Map if you wish. If you drive the car like its a real car, you'll know when you can't go two wide, or if you need to give the other guy some space without even having to look. Sometimes if someone is faster than you, you give the inside or outside if they are really catching you. If you are really catching them, good drivers will recognize and usually let you pass if you don't dive bomb them. But you really have to plan your moves out in Cockpit view, and if you are really close in speed to the other guy you may even just apply some pressure and wait for a mistake. People will race you the way you race them. That's why this is a Gentlemen's league.

Yeah it sounded like this was a league of "Professionals". That's why I wanted to state that I'm not used to cockpit view so people don't think I'm pushing and shoving on purpose if I do hit someone. I'll probably be at the back early in the season anyways lol. I really wish this game had the arrows at the bottom of the screen like F1. That's my true passion. I was really good at F1 2013 if I do say so myself. Didn't play 2014 cause I didn't have my 360 anymore.

@videogamebum454, Well, I think we've all be guilty of running over somebody and being too aggressive. I ran over some people in my first few races (Xbox360), but you have to earn your competitors respect and trust. Even if it means waiting to make the pass until you are sure you can make the corner without contact. If you do get into someone, you can give the spot back. If you spin someone its proper etiquette to wait for them to go again.
These are really long races and lots can happen. You don't have to pass the field on the first lap. With proper Qualifying the Fastest will be in front. So if you run near the back you keep pushing and keep yourself in a position to win if someone makes a mistake. In past games (Xbox360), I'm usually a mid-pack guy, but every now and then I'll run up front for the win but not without making some mistakes.
Again...very long Races and a mandatory pit-stop, lots can happen. I would recommend a wheel though. There is an entry level one (Thrustmaster Spider) at most Gamestops for about $99 USD.

I already know I'm getting the TX. It's gotten really good reviews ever since they fixed the motor issues it had right when it was released. Did a lot of research on wheels. Used to be $400, but you can get it online for $293 at newegg.com. Obviously Fanatec would be the best choice since they're XB1 hub comes out in like 4 days, but I'm not about to through down the minimum $1200 it would cost to get a wheel, wheel hub, wheel base, and pedals from them. I just gotta wait until one of my next 2 paychecks. Probably the latter one. I'm really in a predicament now lol because I can't really try to tune while driving cockpit cause I have to learn the camera first. So far by best time on Silverstone is a 2:04.12. That was just lowering the ride height and adjusting tire pressure a touch so no real tuning, and it only took me like 5 laps to get that time. Then I switched to cockpit cam. I've been driving that for about 45 minutes and my best time is only a 2:05.9. I'ma just try to keep grinding it out until I get it down I guess.

90-100 is a good range. I really wish I could get the imperial readings. 2:04 is a good time around Silverstone, so don't beat yourself up. You'll be up to speed very quickly and you will get a better prospective of the car (from the cockpit) in the long run. If you can figure out how to read the Telemetry you can fine tune everything else. Tire temps will be the greatest tell of your handling. I recommend setting your Motec LCD to a button so you can observe those.

I suppose the rules are set in stone aren't they. Just wondering because I'm kind of worried about using cockpit cam. I know I can get used to it as far as driving fast, but I'm worried about being able to see cars around me. I've used 3rd person my whole life, so I'm understandably worried about making contact with others simply because I can't see them. I also think it's fairly difficult to use the right stick to look at my side mirrors while trying to also drive as fast as possible. If not I'll suck it up and just use the cockpit cam. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though.
You can reconfigure the controller so that the right stick is no longer used for the side views. I also found that pretty much impossible as i use the right stick for accelerate and brake so changed the glance right and left to X and B.

Ah. I'm currently using X and B for shitfing. I'm not going to worry too much about the controls as I'm about 95% certain I'll be getting the wheel soon anyways. Is it just me or is the Gearing screwed up in this game. You basically can't adjust individual gears because it'll just go to what the gear above/below it is at, which makes them the same gear essentially. I'm in a 6 speed car and there's only 6 places on the slider so the default setting for each gear is what you have to use.

Practice Race, Silverstone - 5/23/15
Some cool pit stop action at the start, then an epic battle with Dylan at the end (fast forward to 7:20)
Finally managed to watch that Robert, enjoyed it especially the last half dozen laps. Would love to see them from cockpit view if you get the chance to upload it like that :thumbsup:

Regarding the pit stops is that how they actually are or did you have some graphics reduced? Seemed odd watching one guy at the front of the car and another standing over by the side facing the wrong way :/

Anyway, certainly got me looking forward to some time in the car when i get back :thumbsup::thumbsup:

@Robert Waddell just checking the schedule to see when i might be able to make my first race and note there are two races at Oulton Park on successive weekends. I assume that's incorrect?

Think I'm probably not looking to be available until the halfway point of the season as things stand.

No, that's right. The schedule is broken up like that so we can have consistent racing instead of waiting weeks in between, like the real series does. In other words, instead of racing one hour Saturday and one hour on Sunday, we go two weekends in a row. Some weekends we go two hours. In the real series, sometimes they go three, but that's a but too long, I thought. They also change drivers, but I didn't want to turn this into that sort of series, which gets complicated.

Too bad you will not be able to join until halfway. I thought you were getting a wheel sooner than that, but I'm sure you have a good reason. I know people are going to defect to F1 no matter how good or bad that game is, and I expect lots of console attention there, but I think we have a pretty dedicated non-F1 zombie crowd put together. Besides, the release of F1 will have some positive effects too, like prompting people to get the hardware finally. The schedule was made both with F1 in mind (thus, the Saturday races) and not in mind (on the same weekends, most likely).

I'll likely set up an open wheel series on Wednesday. Right now, thinking of mirroring the Zero to Hero open wheel career path only in multiplayer.

Finally managed to watch that Robert, enjoyed it especially the last half dozen laps. Would love to see them from cockpit view if you get the chance to upload it like that :thumbsup:

Regarding the pit stops is that how they actually are or did you have some graphics reduced? Seemed odd watching one guy at the front of the car and another standing over by the side facing the wrong way :/

Anyway, certainly got me looking forward to some time in the car when i get back :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I put my whole race up so watch away in cockpit view!
Regarding the pit stops, yea, it is a bit odd at the moment, but you will notice during the starting segment a clip with a full crew (looks pretty cool too) and that's what will be added eventually. Lot's of polishing yet to do with this game. We have to remember we are not dealing with Codemasters here.

I suppose the rules are set in stone aren't they. Just wondering because I'm kind of worried about using cockpit cam. I know I can get used to it as far as driving fast, but I'm worried about being able to see cars around me. I've used 3rd person my whole life, so I'm understandably worried about making contact with others simply because I can't see them. I also think it's fairly difficult to use the right stick to look at my side mirrors while trying to also drive as fast as possible. If not I'll suck it up and just use the cockpit cam. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though.

My view on 3rd person is that it's an assist and therefore gives an unfair advantage. With this game, we are trying to enter the SIM world, after all. We all have to struggle to look around, but that's what makes getting better fun, and I also have trouble doing this from time to time with accidents more likely if I don't. Sort of like not having an artificial line -- it's harder, but it's also more realistic. Real drivers have to learn the track. Even brake marker boards should not be relied upon.

I was more referring to having two races at the same track on successive weekends bit its cool as i forgot you were running the exact same schedule as the real thing :)

I don't get back until midway through next week so by the time i order and get the wheel it will probably be too late for the third race and will still not have had time to get used to things at that point anyway as I'll also be back at work. The next race is one i might make providing things go smoothly with the wheel but then the following race is my anniversary weekend so likely won't be around hence why I'm thinking it might be race 6 before I'm up and running.

Hopefully F1 will prompt some others onto next gen and that will bring extra numbers. I am guessing Hemps is still unavailable due to work issues.

I put my whole race up so watch away in cockpit view!
Regarding the pit stops, yea, it is a bit odd at the moment, but you will notice during the starting segment a clip with a full crew (looks pretty cool too) and that's what will be added eventually. Lot's of polishing yet to do with this game. We have to remember we are not dealing with Codemasters here.
Let's wait until they polish it first ;)

Maybe CM have become more like SMS... they have just delayed F1 after all lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back