PC2 Project CARS 2 announced with crowdfunding options

Project Cars 2.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios has officially announced a sequel to Project Cars today as Project Cars 2 is now official, and the WMD crowdfunding campaign has gone live.

Apparently the first big difference with the first title is that PCars 2 will feature off-road racing, along with Touge and Hillclimb events.

The crowdfunding tool-packs, which you can see on the WMD page, start from 50 British pounds and go all the way to 10,000 pounds.

Here's the shortlist of the PCars 2 features:
  • THE LARGEST TRACK ROSTER EVER – 50 unique locations and 200+ courses including ‘loose surface racing’ on dirt, gravel, mud, and snow. All will have dynamic time of day and weather allowing you to play anytime, anywhere
  • THE WIDEST VARIETY OF MOTORSPORTS with 8 different disciplines now including Rallycross, Hillclimbs, and Touge. 200+ cars from over 40 different vehicle classes including never-before-seen Concepts and Banned Race Cars
  • CO-OP CAREER – Play as the Teammate Driver, Spotter, Driver Swap, or Co-Pilot. More choices, more opportunities, more strategy, greater risks and greater rewards
  • SEAMLESSLY CONNECTED – Socialize and compete via Online Track Days, have players from around the world take the place of AI-controlled drivers in your solo play, and get news updates on the Driver Network around you
  • PRO ESPORTS RACING – Skill & Behavioural-based matchmaking, create your own Online Racing Leagues, and Live Broadcast and Spectator functionality
  • YOUR HOME FOR RACING – Your own personal, customisable Test Track to tune and test your cars. Invite others to showcase your passion for racing and learn race craft and engineering with the Project CARS Academy
Update: First videos already out on YouTube
Update 2: Videos have been removed from YouTube

I'm really not sure if this is genuine or trolling, but if this is a typical example of the responses over at WMD, no wonder people are upset.

If you have genuine gripe with a product or service you've paid for, you don't speak to the complaints department expecting a sarcastic 'stop whinging'/'you do better' attitude. Of course we're aware that development of sequels starts immediately - the sim racing community is not the bunch of idiots you seem to think we are - but even somebody with the most basic grasp of marketing can see how such an early announcement and new set of promises (along with another crowdfund request), whilst the current game needs fixes, is going to go down badly.

The sad thing is that there's no acknowledgement that people are understandably upset. No reassurance that they're still committed to the first title. Just pithy responses and a ban hammer. A little bit of candor goes a long way, but from the sound of it that's not going to happen.

On the bright side, this thread has made a quiet day at work fly by.

Oh come on.. this is just not true. What does "is going to go down badly" even mean? In order to get the community the new builds of pCARS 2, and offer the perks, the game had to be announced. What you're saying is that you understand that pCARS 2 needed an announcement but it is expected to "go down badly". So?

SMS has gone to great lengths to patch the game and detail what is coming soon. That's just the truth. They are far more transparent than other studios, and take abuse for it.

Look - the new Batman game is taking a hammering from the customers on PC. Heard word one from Rocksteady? No. Anything from the studio head at Rocksteady? NO. I guess that's how you guys want it. No info.

Oh come on.. this is just not true. What does "is going to go down badly" even mean? In order to get the community the new builds of pCARS 2, and offer the perks, the game had to be announced. What you're saying is that you understand that pCARS 2 needed an announcement but it is expected to "go down badly". So?

SMS has gone to great lengths to patch the game and detail what is coming soon. That's just the truth. They are far more transparent than other studios, and take abuse for it.

Look - the new Batman game is taking a hammering from the customers on PC. Heard word one from Rocksteady? No. Anything from the studio head at Rocksteady? NO. I guess that's how you guys want it. No info.
I would rather have no info, just a release date for patches etc, release date for next game. That's what I'm used to after 37 years gaming and I don't see the need for a running commentary on everything. That is just my opinion.

With respect, if anybody can't grasp why such an announcement would cause the reaction it has, they're not fit to develop a boiled egg.

Ah yes! The classic 'look over there - they're even worse' strategy. Way to deal with the issue at hand!

Of course no communication is not good - but it's arguably better than attacks of the very people they're marketing to. I don't remember being asked to fund any Arkham game two years in advance, either.

I'm really tempted to go for the £10,000 tier option on pCARS2. I'd love to go for a slap up meal with Ian Bell. I'd even drink expensive wine with him. Then I would take his Ferrari for a spin. I'd drive it really fast around London, pick up a lot of speeding and parking tickets. Then I would take his Ferrari through the lobby of the hotel he's paying for. I mean I would drive it through the front entrance, make him pick up the cost. I would blame me crashing into a hotel lobby on IRL physics of his Ferrari to be off, compared to the spot on physics of pCARS.

Then I would run up a massive minibar/hooker bill and let him cover that too. I'm looking at getting at least £200,000 out of him. I guess we should all do that. It would be fun.

Ian Bell...

end.

I'm really tempted to go for the £10,000 tier option on pCARS2. I'd love to go for a slap up meal with Ian Bell. I'd even drink expensive wine with him. Then I would take his Ferrari for a spin. I'd drive it really fast around London, pick up a lot of speeding and parking tickets. Then I would take his Ferrari through the lobby of the hotel he's paying for. I mean I would drive it through the front entrance, make him pick up the cost. I would blame me crashing into a hotel lobby on IRL physics of his Ferrari to be off, compared to the spot on physics of pCARS.

Then I would run up a massive minibar/hooker bill and let him cover that too. I'm looking at getting at least £200,000 out of him. I guess we should all do that. It would be fun.

Ian Bell...

end.

They wont pay a thing. They doesnt fix bugs.

Ian Bell...

end.
Maybe it will be with Andy Tudor and not Ian. I think he is the Head of Studio. If you search him on youtube you'll find some videos where he talks about the games he's involved.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 9 28.1%