Porsche RSR vs. 69' BOSS 302 @ Killarney - Thu 11th October 2012

flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Porsche 911 RSR (Default) vs. 1969 Boss 302 Mustang ( Download )
Track: Killarney Motor Racing Complex ( Download )

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 15 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.20 ( 15 laps)

Note 1: Default Skins Only ( Default list ).
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 3: The cars listed next to your name are the cars in the order which you will be driving them.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Knut Omdal Tveito - RSR / BOSS
  2. Rupe Wilson - BOSS / RSR
  3. Stuart Thomson - RSR / BOSS
  4. Hans Sneep - BOSS / RSR
  5. Jack Smith - RSR / BOSS
  6. Ian Strom - BOSS / RSR
  7. Philip Brown - RSR / BOSS
  8. Warren Dawes - BOSS / RSR
  9. Simon Bacon - RSR / BOSS
  10. Carlos Diaz - BOSS / RSR
  11. Roland Warmenhoven - RSR / BOSS
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Based on what practise I have done I am ashamed to admit that so far I am faster in the 911, but it is not fun to drive like the boss is.

The Porsche is a really miserable car. There is no weight on the front to hold the tires down while braking and the steering is light and horrible.

Now the boss on the other hand feels like it really jams those tires into the road when braking allowing you to be harder on the brakes before locking up. And the steering has feel to it.
It is very big and confident. A wonderful car indeed; when something happens it is meaningful srs bzns unlike the la-de-da foofoo RSR where you never feel like you are doing something consequential.

And it is long past time to go to bed so I do not sleep through the race. :p

Once again, Knut presented us with an interesting (and tricky) challenge. Matching two cars which were so hugely different but similar lap times was not easy, but certainly huge fun (I think).
I loved the little track, a typical Club circuit, but able to let both cars shine in their opposite strengths. The Porsche was probably the quickest car of the two overall, but keeping it on track and avoiding the big, wide, wagging, and noisy Bosses was a challenge in itself.

I failed the Porsche challenge in Race 2, but not as I expected. I managed to avoid the dreaded "involuntary doughnuts", but couldn't avoid a couple of incidents.
Huge apologies for my part in the Race 2, turn 1, pileups. Everyone was taking different lines through turn 1, and unfortunately I tagged Ian on the exit ( I was watching Carlos and didn't even see you move across Ian). That led to a chain reaction of bumping and spinning behind us, until I slid across track from the grass into the path of Stuart, causing more chaos. Very sorry guys, heaps of you ended up involved. :redface: I waited for everyone to get going again, and took off again behind Roland. We had a great little battle for many laps as I tried numerous ways to get past his big wagging tail, but again tapped Roland when I misjudged our massive braking zone differences, tried to dive left to miss but clipped the rear corner of the Boss. Sorry again Roland :redface:.

Some top action in Race 2 though. At one point, Philip, Roland, and I went through turn 1 three wide.........................:confused:..................and survived. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but the screenshot below confirms it.

Race 1 was much more tame for me. I had a nice run with Philip and Rupe for much of the race until Philip spun off in front, and Rupe dropped away battling to keep Knut behind. Unfortunately, Rupe finally let Knut off the leash and he caught and passed me like I was towing a caravan. :notworthy:

All good fun.

Grats to Roland and Carlos for the wins.

Thanks to Knut for organising, and to those who joined. :)

Here is the evidence of my Porsche sandwich between Philip and Roland.

PorscheSandwich.jpg

As of this moment the video is not fully uploaded but I have to go to bed so I am going to post the link and hope for the best.
As usual it is 720p

This is a little vid of the first bits of R2, I did not go all the way through because time/bandwidth/boring/etc
As such it is not really complete, but meh.

Also, my connection speed is set kinda low so any cars too far away from me warp around a lot. Perhaps I will see if my connection can handle a higher setting at some other time. *shrug*

And here are some more shots of the Warren sandwich. They are 2560x1440 and about 400KB each so I am not embedding them.
direct side:
http://poopr.org/images/ljvbjb1g2gwhzzcog4.jpg
front/side:
http://poopr.org/images/frj5ff342h0h4zffsroz.jpg
front:
http://poopr.org/images/5mvyd3vx2zr5jazkyvq.jpg
rear/otherside:
http://poopr.org/images/1v76i66kv1vver1uxz.jpg

In that last one notice how both roland and phil are missing their left tail lights as a result of the activities seen in the above video. :p

Awesome race night this was for me! Amazing to see how mixing two such different cars can work out so well! And indeed a very nice track, a typical Club Race track that really breathes the South African athmosphere IMO.:thumbsup:

Porsche was up first for me, a car I've really come to like since Stu managed to tame it, his setup from the Aida event really worked wonders for me. Thx again, Stuart!
Already felt pretty good in the 911 in P1, I managed a really clean Q1 lap which got me a solid Pole:) . And on top of that, I also had a really really good start, quite unlike last tuesday!:D That, combined with some troubles behind me, soon got me a solid lead, and for a change I managed 15 laps without spinning, crashing or whatever so I WON!! I WON!! WOOHOO!! That was quite a while ago! This already is a good race night.

BOSS in race 2, now that was something different. Struggled quite a bit in P2, in Q2 around 7th or 8th, but another good start got me as far up as 5th or so, when a serious pinball crash in L1 tore the field apart. I ended up at the back, had some spectacular racing with Warren in his favourite Porsche:p among others.
At some point I tried too hard to stay with Warren, got a wheel off track, flew into the barriers resulting in the dreaded 0% engine health reading, so had to sit it out from then. Witnessed a great battle between Rupe and Knut for 2nd that lasted till the last second, so not a bored second this entire whole race night.

Grats Carlos for race win 2, with some amazing laptimes that immediately put my feet back on the ground. Grats to all podium finishers, and thanks all who joined. ,Thanks to Knut as well of course, you all made my night.

@Ian Strom , really nice video dude, Boy, you are quick!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back