Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

That is another issue. Everyone has a financial pain point. The SC2 + the PSE GT3 wheel is about $2600. Then I needed a mount for my chassis and power cable extentions. Then I need to fabricate something to secure the wheel's USB plug to my frame.

So not only more expensive, but also additional pain points.

I could have just dropped a DD2 wheelbase onto my rig and been done.

Like I said I don't see this as a simple decision. You have to weigh in your priorities.

exactly.
I got my dd1 yesterday.
It took me about 30 minutes to put everything on and play.
I don't know if it would have the same ease with simucube 2 pro.

I took a few laps in Formula 1 2019. My favorite game for now.

It's a man. The difference is brutal.

You will probably need time to adjust to the new platform.

But I'm loving it.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Endless flexibility and ease of use? :rolleyes:
Hmm, PCars1 FFB comes to mind, bet everyone loved it.
I must be not your regular FFB tinkerer as prefer one slider and as few switches as possible. Let developers deal with the complexity, not users.

Upvote 0
Seriously fascinating post @Spinelli! A bit disheartening to learn that ffb is based on pretty stagnated tech. I can certainly understand how dd wheels can amplify the shortcomings you mentioned (especially when you have real world experience).
Thanks. There was a fascinating PDF file Leo Bodnar (the person who created the Bodnar DD wheels) explaining some of what I mentioned. If I remember correctly, the main thing he talked about was true torque-based output rather than speed/position output. I wish I could find it. This is part of the reason why filters are so important on DD wheels as we can use them to somewhat get around / hide some of the FFB shortcomings of current FFB tech.

Endless flexibility and ease of use? :rolleyes:
Hmm, PCars1 FFB comes to mind, bet everyone loved it.
I must be not your regular FFB tinkerer as prefer one slider and as few switches as possible. Let developers deal with the complexity, not users.
I agree even though it slightly contradicts my previous post :D

I don't want endless sliders and PC 1 & 2, R3E, and pre-RF2 ISI-based stuff (RF1, GTR, R07, GTL, etc.) definitely come to mind. I just think a few things would be awesome as long as it's kept simple. I think a S.A.T. filter is probably the most important for DD users. Some other things would be cool though but just a few.

You're right though, it's easy to start adding this and that and before you know it you have a ton of FFB settings and it becomes a big mess again :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@RaceNut, what is a good use of telemetry for steering wheels except some simcade titles with bad FFB that are probably not worth your time. Does AC need it, or rFactor2?
And what are the chances that with bad FFB they have good telemetry?
Dirt Rally is one case where the telemetry demonstrated that the title is more capable of providing useful FFB than the game-FFB can.

SC4 can effectively improve iRacing FFB too although, it's still limited by the low rate. I find more road detail can be added and some amount of bump detail may actually serve to enhance front grip-loss awareness.

Other titles such as AC don't necessarily "need" more FFB details but, telemetry-FFB can still be used to supplement or enhance what AC already has.

Upvote 0
Been looking for that for a long time. Thank you very much Andrew.
Tell us a bit more about it :)

I haven't retreat a second.
haven't got ay problem whatsoever, the installation was smoth and easy.

Maybe I'm not the right person to get some feedback about wheels bases, but i'm loving the dd1.

the lvl of details are incridebel, maybe is something psychologic but, when I'm a turn and the car start to go a side, is almost like I'm seating in the real car. i got this feeling that the back is slipping away. and this feeling i have never got with my t500rs.

When you drive of a bump or so. you feel that in your hands in a way that is almost like the real thing.

and all the other things that people say about the response time.

I really need to get used whit the strength off the wheel. sometimes i think I need to lower it a bit. because is real like a gym training hahahaha.

As i said before I'm not the right person to talk about it. but that is how i feel. And I think that it will be even better when people who really understand of ffb start to realease their setups. and when the software realease it will be a game change.

So i'm really happy that i choose the dd1. and so far no problems at all.

P.S sorry my bad english.

Upvote 0
There must be something fundamentally flawed with the Simucube 2 (hardware or firmware), or at least with the Pro.
Only 2 reports and you're jumping to the conclusion that there's a fundamental flaw?!? More likely there's a supplier part that is out of tolerance and fails.

Upvote 0
One thing to consider with the SC2 and the Podium DD wheels is that they're all-in-one solutions. Most everything is on the steering base, including much of the electronics and processors, the exception being power bricks. My older OSW-style wheel with "Mige" motor has the processor and powersupplies in a separate case, connected via milspec plugs and heavy cables.

Why might this matter? A DD wheel is capable of very high g-forces. Banging around the electronics, which weren't necessarily designed for this environment, may or may not be an issue with these designs. In the older Mige-style designs, the steering base was just the motor and encoder, which were designed for the capability and torque of these servos.

Certainly, the reports of issues with both the Fanatec DD wheels and the SC2 raises an issue. We had zero similiar reported issues with the original OSW setups with outboard electronics. This suggests something about these newer designs might be an issue. My hunch is the all-in-one solution. Components in those steering bases and electronic boards are getting jostled something fierce. Even something as simple as the USB plugs were not really designed to get bashed by FFB 24/7, as they are in these designs. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Comments section is even better than video review. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah ;) This flex in qr is something that I fear of. Especially regarding that it's hit or miss with Fanatec as Barry stated in one comment:

Sim Racing Garage
I tried several different processes for mounting the wheel and hub I had on hand. Short of putting a pipe wrench on the locking nut. No matter how tight you get the rubber piece pushed against the wheel side QR's inner surface, it is still made of rubber. The real issue here is the tolorence control from QR to QR in the manufaturing process. This is not a new characteristic for Fanatec's QR's. I do not doubt that some have no percieable flex in their QR's. I have read of those who can't even get their older QR to slide on to the metal part of the new wheelside QR, it's just too tight of a fit.

Upvote 0
Very nice review indeed. The QR flex is a well known issue and affects all the Fanatec wheels, I have a little play on my McLaren wheel and more play on the BMW wheel, but I think when you have a non-clamping QR that is just something you are going to experience. I don't notice it at all when driving (on a CSW 2.5 base).

Upvote 0
The review is really good, he come up with some "problems" that i my way of see things I don't think that they are real problems.
Like the problem to fit 3 party wheels.
If i understand fanatec why of see the market they are not intrested in people using another wheels.

The problem that their on wheel dosen't work. that is something that they need to fix.

Maybe I'm wrong i don't know.

Upvote 0
Only 2 reports and you're jumping to the conclusion that there's a fundamental flaw?!? More likely there's a supplier part that is out of tolerance and fails.
Hopefully you're right and it's just an out-of-tolerance flaw in a supplier part. It's not just a 1-in-a-million "freak" failure though that's for sure.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea