Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

I was looking to see If Barry covered the tactile/wheel options for the Simxperience wheel and was a bit let down that he didnt even attempt to cover them in the review of the Fanatec DD. I know its not a feature that most users will care much for. Then again Barry never covered the tactile options with D-Box neither. I am curious if any Accuforce owners use or like any additional tactile based effects with the wheels FFB or if any Fanatec owners can share their thoughts on what it offers in these features or if the like/detest them?

Upon looking for this, just look back at the visible flex this wheel had both in the rim it shipped with and a Momo 30. Yet it didnt stop people buying it or was it such a big factor. It seems Fanatec does get a rough ride at times from people being perhaps a bit overcritical or is it because Simracing is now being taken more and maybe a bit too seriously these days.

Watch from 104:20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something to consider is how the flex is being transmitted (if at all) to the user where it may affect the fine detail. In the case of the stock AccuForce rim, it does flex if you push/pull on the wheel but, there is no perceptible rotational flex from what I can tell. If one wants to use the wheel to lift their weight up and out of the seat, then it's a concern.

I suspect the same is true with the Fanatec; in terms of rotational flex, it's likely very little - if any. It appears that the leading cause of flex is the soft-nature of the QR rubber collar expansion section. There's only so much it can do to stabilize the wheel on it's axis when fore/aft torque is applied and it's exacerbated by extending the wheel even further out from the QR when adding a Universal Hub.

Upvote 0
The stock Accuforce wheel is definitely bendy, it’s more fun to see how far 80/20rigs have come, look how much flex is in that rig. If I remember rightly the big black bit the QR is connected to on Barry’s AFV1 wasn’t fully tightened down, hence why it’s moving around. Certainly I just had a play on my AFV2 and with a carbon fibre rim I’m getting flex in the wheel and nothing on the QR.

Upvote 0
The stock Accuforce wheel is definitely bendy, it’s more fun to see how far 80/20rigs have come, look how much flex is in that rig. If I remember rightly the big black bit the QR is connected to on Barry’s AFV1 wasn’t fully tightened down, hence why it’s moving around. Certainly I just had a play on my AFV2 and with a carbon fibre rim I’m getting flex in the wheel and nothing on the QR.
The forced are going sideways anyway, some vertical flex will hardly be felt during racing.

Upvote 0
The entire Fanatec base is moving in 2Old4Forza's video. Either that or the cockpit the base is connected to is moving. I think that can make things look worse than they are especially when analyzing the flexing during actual driving.

Also, there are 10 people for every 1 who are saying they don't have flex in the comments (take what you will of that).

Upvote 0
Just have a look at this though:

It’s why I think anyone using these DD wheels on anything other than a super solid rig is crazy, like even the R-Seats soak up a ton of FFB because there is so much movement in the flimsy wheel mount, easy to see in Shaun Cole’s videos.
In the case of 80/20 rig's, a bit of lateral bracing can solve such movement. The large corner gussets can usually do the job quite nicely if space is too limited for a longer diagonal brace.

Upvote 0

this guy shows similar flex in the QR.

For those that didn't bother to watch the video, "this guy" is the AC US club race organizer here on RD, and he does show the flex while twisting it like Barry, but he also does a demo with a closeup camera under actual driving conditions where you can see that if anything is moving during driving, it is the rig, and he says that he perceives no flex while actually driving.

Upvote 0
In the case of 80/20 rig's, a bit of lateral bracing can solve such movement. The large corner gussets can usually do the job quite nicely if space is too limited for a longer diagonal brace.

I'm also a fan of adding triangular bracing to 8020 rigs to get a rock-solid wheel deck. I've done that in 2 dimensions on my DIY 8020 build, works a charm. Literally not a bit of movement in this, 100% solid. Even the P1 rigs I've tested have a slight amount of flex, there's really no way to avoid it without triangulated bracing, frankly.

Here's a few pics to show the bracing I installed.

Upvote 0
I'm also a fan of adding triangular bracing to 8020 rigs to get a rock-solid wheel deck. I've done that in 2 dimensions on my DIY 8020 build, works a charm. Literally not a bit of movement in this, 100% solid. Even the P1 rigs I've tested have a slight amount of flex, there's really no way to avoid it without triangulated bracing, frankly.

Here's a few pics to show the bracing I installed.

I don't think I'm understanding the triangular bracing ypu speak of. Why are you using moving/articulating corner-pieces (like the one used for the keyboard tray) for the bracing instead of rock-solid pieces?

Upvote 0
Those articulating pieces can be locked down and allow for a cross brace at any angle. Also much of the strain won't be trying to rotate the hinge.

See how I used them to mount my hand brake in the picture below. I was able to medium tighten them and then pull the emergency brake to me setting the most ergonomic angle for my arm/shoulder alignment. Then I tightened them completely.

Handbrake_4273.jpg

Upvote 0
They form triangles. As such, there's no rotational strain on those joints. The forces are all transmitted straight down the sides of each triangle. They also lock-down, but this just keeps things from rattling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

@RCHeliguy, that mounting bracket on SC2 Pro, seems like it supports standard consumer wheels 3 bolt pattern as far as I can tell.
Where did you get it if it's not a secret? :)
DSD seems to have different design on web site.
Thanks
upload_2019-9-5_19-47-55.png

Upvote 0
Yup, and Sim-Labs did add side braces to the bracket as you can see in the picture of mine. I wasn't trying to hide the source of that mount.

It fits like a glove. It comes with mount bolts, but I like SS better. However the 6mm lock nuts they supply are the perfect size to fit between the mount and the bottom of the SC2 motor. I'm using button head SS M6x25mm bolts for the base using my Sim-Lab wheel deck. I have 16 and 26mm M6 in SS button heads. 20 is probably a good fit, but 25mm has clearance.

I'm not sure what the RSeat mounts need for hardware.

The SC2 comes with nice SS hardware to mount the motor. It also included some pricier lock washers I had stocked up on earlier this year. They are interlocking flat aluminum washers with teeth.

FYI, I got return emails from Sim Racing Bay, and drawings of the mount they add to their bundle. DSD gave me zero response, so I ordered from SRB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They form triangles. As such, there's no rotational strain on those joints. The forces are all transmitted straight down the sides of each triangle. They also lock-down, but this just keeps things from rattling.
When you say lock, do you mean just tightening the bolt or is there literally a locking mechanism? By the way, great idea with using them for your handbrake.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 140 85.9%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 58 35.6%