[PHYSICS] 1937 Mercedes W125 Grand Prix data update

Cars [PHYSICS] 1937 Mercedes W125 Grand Prix data update 0.92

Login or Register an account to download this content
Wow, I didn't really care for this Car before, since it wasn't available here on RD... When I saw this update, I thought it was Time to get it- and I realised what I was missing before ... another classic aphidgod:notworthy:.
Now I'm preparing a Skin Pack so we can have some Races against the Auto Unions :).
I must say the Sound of the C9 fits nicely, better than the Maserati Sounds IMHO.

OT: The supercharged sound for the 650 can still be found on RD (link), as it came with ks C7 sounds for both variants. There should also be a Shelby GT500 bank on RD, probably with the same TVS2300.
But I don't know, on clips the W125 sounds more like a supercharged DB601 growling than a modern sc whine.
You're right! I forgot that the sound I use for the Mustang is a mod, the one you linked.

I figured out for the first Time how to Paint a Car in 3D (in Blender, since I don't own Photoshop), and a skin Pack is in the works- not that these cars would have the most complicated Painjobs;).
preview.jpg

A few suggestions, If you want to update the Car sometime in the Future:
In car.ini, USE_ANIMATED_SUSPENSIONS is set to '0', probably just a minor mistake that causes the Drum Brakes to clip through the wheels, among other things.
flames.ini could be fixed like this:
[HEADER] EDIT_MODE=0 INTENSITY=50.0 EDIT_BIG=1 EDIT_STATE=4 BURN_FUEL_MULT=10 FLASH_THRESHOLD=7 [FLAME_0] POSITION=0.27, 0.18, -1.75 DIRECTION=0,0,-1 VSIZE_START=0.08 VSIZE_END=0.1 LSIZE=0.18 IS_LEFT=0 GROUP=0
Keep up the good Work! :thumbsup:

Don't forget to add the Mercedes star on the nose.
Mercedes-Benz_W125_Stuttgart.jpg

Also if you don't mind further suggestions, include skin.ini with the skins, the white Sparcos really do not fit this car. It's a bit funny how often people leave it out

I agree about the Gloves- first thing I thought of!
And I really forgot to add the Star:redface:, thanks for reminding me about this one!

aphidgod updated [PHYSICS] 1937 Mercedes W125 Grand Prix data update with a new update entry:

Big Changes

Changelog
  • entirely new tires
  • reworked gearing
  • aero tweaks
  • fuel tank capacity fixed, consumption tweaked
  • suspension setup & geometry reworked
  • brakes adjusted
  • recalculated power curve
This is a new direction for the car, but it's more in line with how I expect it would've handled. I'm not sure everything is scaled quite correctly but this is a good point from which to start.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm sure you're already fixing it for v1.0 but in my talentless layman's opinion it looks like the track width front and rear are too narrow

Last edited:
Ok! I think we're in a place now where I care how it's performing. I apologize for the useless changelog, but it's not inaccurate. Lots of very small tweaks to very obscure parameters. Massaging the car...

For those of you who are running it on Bremgarten, the 1937 pole lap in this car was 2:32 and the fastest race lap was a 2:36. I'm running 2:35-2:40 (on a pad) so I feel like we're probably not too far off. But let me know if you're able to do better than, say, 2:30, or if you can chain several 2:32s together in a row. (Allowing for a little bit of extra pace in a sim over RL, which is fairly normal for a number of reasons.)

EDIT: Also... for those of you expecting it to do 200mph like Mercedes claimed in period, please be aware that the gearing in this thing is accurate* and that they were able to achieve those higher speeds by fitting larger drive wheels. Mantas modeled the car with the smallest of 3 options, so it's correctly topping out at about 178mph in the shown trim.

We probably won't get model updates to include the other rear wheels, but I can fudge it with final drive ratios later down the line. Just... working with one set of variables for now, until it's more nailed down. :thumbsup:

* = "accurate" as in the default 3.53, maximum 3.28, and minimum 4.70 are correct as are the existence of 8 options. The remaining 5 ratios, however, were guessed.

Last edited:
For those of you who are running it on Bremgarten, the 1937 pole lap in this car was 2:32 and the fastest race lap was a 2:36. I'm running 2:35-2:40 (on a pad) so I feel like we're probably not too far off. But let me know if you're able to do better than, say, 2:30, or if you can chain several 2:32s together in a row.
I cannot manage below 3 minutes on Bremgarten, your mod must be broken :p

Ok! I think we're in a place now where I care how it's performing. I apologize for the useless changelog, but it's not inaccurate. Lots of very small tweaks to very obscure parameters. Massaging the car...

For those of you who are running it on Bremgarten, the 1937 pole lap in this car was 2:32 and the fastest race lap was a 2:36. I'm running 2:35-2:40 (on a pad) so I feel like we're probably not too far off. But let me know if you're able to do better than, say, 2:30, or if you can chain several 2:32s together in a row. (Allowing for a little bit of extra pace in a sim over RL, which is fairly normal for a number of reasons.)

EDIT: Also... for those of you expecting it to do 200mph like Mercedes claimed in period, please be aware that the gearing in this thing is accurate* and that they were able to achieve those higher speeds by fitting larger drive wheels. Mantas modeled the car with the smallest of 3 options, so it's correctly topping out at about 178mph in the shown trim.

We probably won't get model updates to include the other rear wheels, but I can fudge it with final drive ratios later down the line. Just... working with one set of variables for now, until it's more nailed down. :thumbsup:

* = "accurate" as in the default 3.53, maximum 3.28, and minimum 4.70 are correct as are the existence of 8 options. The remaining 5 ratios, however, were guessed.
I can run 2m34 in the Maserati 250F, compared to real 2.40 laps in the early 50's, so I don't think I'm completely talentless, but I was struggling to beat my old ghost lap initially. So I put my big boy pants on, calmed it all down a bit, and I should be able to run 2m38ish, and be more of a Lang than a Caracciola. To run 2m35, or less, you must need testicles like watermelons

I cannot manage below 3 minutes on Bremgarten, your mod must be broken :p
So glad I'm not the only one :D. I can get to about 3:02 or maybe a bit lower before I run out of courage- but i have lots of fun doing so, and that's all that matters!
Since the latest Updates the Car drives a bit more like the Maserati- You can acccelerate out of the corners and countersteer really smoothly- that was always one of the things I liked about the 250F, an the W125 seems to behave similar in that aspect. To be clear, I consider that a good thing and it means you're definitely going in the right direction- by making the Mercedes a bit more... intuitive, I don't know how to express it better.
A minor point, and I know I'm maybe a bit annoying, since that's only a graphical issue as far as I'm aware: The Suspension animations are deactivated.

I don't think Mantasisg created animations for the 3D model, so they can't simply be 'activated' :(

With the new physics, I am able to run the occasional 2min 34.5, but generally I am in the 2min 35s (and holding on for dear life!).

I am having to develop a new driving style for this car, just to get it round Bremgarten. Brake hard well before the corner, turn in and then blip the throttle in 3rd to get the back end to come round, and then gradually accelerate out of the corner once you are pointing in more or less the right direction. I don't spend enough time driving to consider myself 'good', and this W125 is definitely a challenge.

Thanks again for working on it, Mr. A. God :thumbsup:

I don't think Mantasisg created animations for the 3D model, so they can't simply be 'activated'
The Animations were done by @garyjpaterson and the reason why they are not visible is because of a single digit: In 'car.ini' under the header [Graphics] is the line 'USE_ANIMATED_SUSPENSIONS=0'. just setting this to '1' brings them back instantly:). I wouldn't have known if I didn't have that problem before.
Edit: I unpacked the Data (Just for educational purposes, and of course, without messing with the work of the master!) And indeed, It was as expected- after just changing that value the Drumbrakes are placed correctly, Driveshaft and everything else is fine. I also drove a few laps:
Aphidgod, you are a true Artist:thumbsup:.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies