Peugeot 106 Rallye S2

Cars Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
Daniel Jimenez submitted a new resource:

Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 - The classic Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 FWD now for Assetto Corsa

From the same team who brought you the Skip Barber, now the Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 comes to Assetto Corsa. Special thanks to Ben O' Bro for the driver animation, Leonardo Ratafiá for the research help, MADr1v3r for the testing and help, and all the people who contributed to this project.
¡Invite us to a beer!

3D, materials and textures: Daniel Jimenez: https://www.paypal.me/danieljimenezh
3D, physics, testing and materials: Arch...

Read more about this resource...

Nice work but it seems that the rear suspension is not allowing any roll compliance...

peugeot-106-track-weapon.jpg

I mean, it's a twist beam...

It can be argued if the assumed flex amount is too high or low, but I did find some track and cone-carving testing from the 90's, testing the Saxo (Same suspension) and it was lifting it off the ground on moderate cornering.

If you park the car on 3 wheels with only one rear raised on something, the other rear will jack right up next to the elevated wheel. ;)

I owned a Saxo VTS for 6 years and yes, It was able to lift the inner wheel, but not on moderate cornering (at least on stock setup).
BTW, is the suspension geometry implemented able to accommodate for different travels on the two rear wheels?

I owned a Saxo VTS for 6 years and yes, It was able to lift the inner wheel, but not on moderate cornering (at least on stock setup).
BTW, is the suspension geometry implemented able to accommodate for different travels on the two rear wheels?
Like I said, it can be argued if the assumed flex amount is too high or low. It's not a hard change to adjust it, but I need some basis for it. You think it should be softer?

The geometry's a DWB emulating a trailing arm, with a little bit of deflection angle change so that the outside-rear wheel has a more proper angle in roll. They're independent in jounce and has enough droop stroke if that's what you're asking.

Yes, I've seen it. Very good work.
Probably it's just the roll stiffness that is exaggerated but I have no reference for the twist beam.
Thanks.

I will say that my impression was that I should perhaps go a tad softer. However no owner actually said anything about it when I asked. They aren't running on stock bars either though.

I tried to look for some academic papers, calculation formulas, something to figure it out, and the only reliable thing I could do is abstract the tube into a torsion bar and assume a flex amount. I use 0.3 as a coefficient. It's possible 0.2 would be more proper.

(330762.0532645 x 1.00^2) x 0.3 = 99228.6159793, for the beam only.
(330762.0532645 x 1.00^2) x 0.2 = 66152.4106529, already a very large empiric change in roll stiffness.

Put in the wheel-to-wheel torsion bar as the stabilizer and that twistbeam change alone is about -13% total roll stiffness.

Also, I'm assuming 0 flex for the stabilizer inside the beam. I actually don't know if that's true. That'd be a big change if there's flex due to a bushing or something that I'm not seeing.

I know the mainsprings don't have any rubber bushings or anything which rob it of wheelrate (That I can see...) but there could always be something I'm misunderstanding about the stabilizer or the beam itself. That'd basically cut the entire rate in half or less.

Thanks.

I will say that my impression was that I should perhaps go a tad softer. However no owner actually said anything about it when I asked. They aren't running on stock bars either though.

I tried to look for some academic papers, calculation formulas, something to figure it out, and the only reliable thing I could do is abstract the tube into a torsion bar and assume a flex amount. I use 0.3 as a coefficient. It's possible 0.2 would be more proper.

(330762.0532645 x 1.00^2) x 0.3 = 99228.6159793, for the beam only.
(330762.0532645 x 1.00^2) x 0.2 = 66152.4106529, already a very large empiric change in roll stiffness.

Put in the wheel-to-wheel torsion bar as the stabilizer and that twistbeam change alone is about -13% total roll stiffness.

Also, I'm assuming 0 flex for the stabilizer inside the beam. I actually don't know if that's true. That'd be a big change if there's flex due to a bushing or something that I'm not seeing.

I know the mainsprings don't have any rubber bushings or anything which rob it of wheelrate (That I can see...) but there could always be something I'm misunderstanding about the stabilizer or the beam itself. That'd basically cut the entire rate in half or less.

In track driving the wheels are almost always on the ground: they lifts slightly only in fast slalom.

Can you please tell me about which tube are you talking about?

In track driving the wheels are almost always on the ground: they lifts slightly only in fast slalom.

Can you please tell me about which tube are you talking about?
It might just be modern tires or people simply pulling more G than you did, but every 106 I ever saw on track lifts mid-corner. Not just in big G peaks. Given that I haven't filmed a stock 106 I'm driving myself, I could be missing something.

Anyway, this is the first picture for "Peugeot 106 cornering".
hard-cornering-harry-painter-peugeot-106-vscc-pomeroy-trophy-silverstone-16th-february-2019-cars-competition-february-fun-historic-cars-ic-RP5NTF.jpg

This tube. Inside the main beam is the stabilizer. If it's in place via rubber bushings, I suspect it'll lose a significant portion of it's rate.

repaired-rear-axle-citroen-saxo-peugeot-106-drum-sx106t.jpg

ARBendplatesecuredwithM8boltwasher2.jpg

Just as likely that my twist beam approximation is just off too.

Mind you I'm not convinced there's actually an issue because I find overwhelmingly more anecdote pointing towards big lift than not.

No, the anti roll bar is rigidly connected to the two trailing arms.
Then it only leaves us with no issue, or an issue in my beam approximation.

You wouldn't happen to know what material exactly those beams are made of?

EDIT: Actually there's a good chance I'm stupid and the "beam" is just a dust cover for the actual stabilizer inside of it. Which is why they have a separate stabilizer.

I always just assumed it's a twist beam and it twists in roll, spins around in jounce. But those are usually H shaped, aren't they.

Oh dear. :rolleyes: I'll test a bit and see. Thanks for the help to now.

Last edited:
As i owned a rallye i must say that this is close to reality!

Nice interior/exterior work and nice physics too! After fiddling some values (dascam, steer ratio etc) to adjust it to my needs my only complain is that it locks the brakes too easily

Other than that very nice work!

PS I would love to see a group n rallye too, with racing suspensions and roll cage !

Then it only leaves us with no issue, or an issue in my beam approximation.

You wouldn't happen to know what material exactly those beams are made of?

EDIT: Actually there's a good chance I'm stupid and the "beam" is just a dust cover for the actual stabilizer inside of it. Which is why they have a separate stabilizer.

I always just assumed it's a twist beam and it twists in roll, spins around in jounce. But those are usually H shaped, aren't they.

Oh dear. :rolleyes: I'll test a bit and see. Thanks for the help to now.

The Joung’s modulus is almost constant for any kind of steel, so it should be something else. Do you have the diameter of the bar?

Yep, you probably misunderstood how the suspension works and used the outer diameter of the tube that supports the trailing arms instead of the one of the inner bar actually connecting them (around 20mm if I remember correctly).

Thanks, huge 106 fan here, so really happy you did this.
Only critique I have are the shaders. Especially the front and tail lights look weird, like painted on and are the tail lights supposed to light up fully under braking?

The Joung’s modulus is almost constant for any kind of steel, so it should be something else. Do you have the diameter of the bar?

Yep, you probably misunderstood how the suspension works and used the outer diameter of the tube that supports the trailing arms instead of the one of the inner bar actually connecting them (around 20mm if I remember correctly).

P.S.
I've seen the value you put for the rear anti roll...
It's off by at least one order of magnitude. :D
As a quick fix I divided it by 10 and it's much better.

All aspects are really a treat, sound, handling, visuals, all the patterend cloth etc is really nice, thanks for this mod, will be a favourite for sure. Noticed the AI going into 3 wheels on every corner, obviously they dont drive like humans, but sounds like the feedback above should make a nice difference.
Really an absolutte delight, bought a smile to my face as soon as I loaded it up in VR.

A few notes:
  • Rear view mirror is too small
  • Lights are probably the weakest area visually, but not the end of the world
  • With that blue carpet, I don't think anyone would drive without mats, think it would look a bit nicer/realistic with them anyway (yes I should probably look less at the floor!)
  • Error in log: INIReader: content/cars/dj_peugeot_106_rallye_s2_1996/data/aero.ini > KEY_NOT_FOUND: [FIN_0] YAW_CL_GAIN
  • Shaders for the paint could probably be improved, reflection from sun seems to blow out the whole surface:
Screenshot_dj_peugeot_106_rallye_s2_1996_ks_nordschleife_16-4-120-12-1-22.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back