Pacific Coast

Tracks Pacific Coast 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Good improvements, can't wait to see some textures input.
One suggestion: I would use a bit bigger signs as right now it is pretty hard to recognize them from the distance,
and given the road layout & the average speed, they will be more than useful that way :)

One suggestion: I would use a bit bigger signs as right now it is pretty hard to recognize them from the distance,
and given the road layout & the average speed, they will be more than useful that way :)
I was thinking the same thing. The road side signs, like the ones that list 3 towns/cities and the distance remaining to reach them -- I thought they might be a little small -- not to proper scale with the road. But, then I thought that maybe it's just because I'm not used to seeing a public road at this scale, so perhaps it was properly scaled. I couldn't tell for sure.

The track is certainly coming along very well. :thumbsup:

Due to too many purists on here... I decided to model the signs to US highway spec... even the height from the ground to the bottom of the diamond is to scale (apart from where I've adjusted the height of the terrain)
I've even put signs in where on the actual road... There are none! simply because people are going to be doing about 3 or 4 times the speed limit.
googlemaps_example_02.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_pacific_coast_6-12-116-3-35-29.jpg

(Note: I've moved this back from the corner for a bit more notice & a SLOW sign prior to that)

googlemaps_example_01.jpg

(Notice there are no signs down here, warning of the upcoming left corner/bend)
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_pacific_coast_6-12-116-3-24-46.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. The road side signs, like the ones that list 3 towns/cities and the distance remaining to reach them -- I thought they might be a little small -- not to proper scale with the road. But, then I thought that maybe it's just because I'm not used to seeing a public road at this scale, so perhaps it was properly scaled. I couldn't tell for sure.
The track is certainly coming along very well. :thumbsup:

googlemaps_example_03.jpg
Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_pacific_coast_6-12-116-3-49-4.jpg
If anything my distance signs are larger than the actual ones on this road...

Note this sign is in a different location to reality... Because... before the gas stations went in... you were racing from distance sign to distance sign!
Now you can race between Gas Stations... I might re-locate it back to it's real world location at
Whaleboat rock.

As you can hopefully tell from these photo's, while the road isn't obviously laserscanned... It is fairly authentic (The last two are obviously not comparison photo's)

Thanks, glad you're liking the improvements...

For anyone who can't read the signs at 180mph... Firstly probably turn of motion blur if you have it on...
Secondly... do a reasonable speed to read them... At least to start with ;)

Ask yourself this... The last time you were doing 180mph past a road sign, on a public road, approaching a corner with a cliff, into the ocean... Could you read the sign? lol

My general tips for how to use the signs... Until you learn the track (Put track map on) (Put track description App on) If you see no road signs..... Floor it...

If you see 1 road sign... ease off...
If you see 2 road signs.. start braking
If you see 3 road signs... BRAKE!!!!

At Extreme speeds... use the signs as brake reference points...

I'm afraid I won't be making the signs oversized things like the chevron things on Black Cat...

I will however check if I can use a different texture / shader on the signs face "materials" just incase that isn't helping the blurring.

Right all this sign talk is taking away my available time for actually improving the track ;)

Laters!

P.S remember to stick to (around) the speed limit on unfamiliar roads... or you only have yourself to blame if your shiny lamborghini is sitting upside down in a ditch lol or worse, swimming with the fishes!

Attachments

• Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_pacific_coast_6-12-116-3-15-56.jpg
    Screenshot_ks_porsche_911_gt3_rs_pacific_coast_6-12-116-3-15-56.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
very nice man, highway is close to the real deal. more so than i thought! must have been so much hard work man. thank you :D :thumbsup:
Thanks mate :)

I always try to do my best, the terrain is as accurate as the satellite data I used was, with some slight adjustments for playabilities sake...
It is pretty accurate in most places I think. But until Kunos get their laserscanning car down here I think it will do ;) lol
And yeah it has been a lot of hard work... around 100+ hours over 3 months...
But happily, my 3D skills are improving nicely, more so than I thought they would :)

Have fun down here, and stick to the speed limit or the police will get you lol

Due to too many purists on here... I decided to model the signs to US highway spec... even the height from the ground to the bottom of the diamond is to scale (apart from where I've adjusted the height of the terrain)
I've even put signs in where on the actual road... There are none! simply because people are going to be doing about 3 or 4 times the speed limit.

Fair enough, I like your approach to realism and your enthusiasm!
This kind of track is really needed, I would love to cruise on a Californian road next to the Ocean, I am sure you will deliver :)

Actually through your pictures, I've noticed that IRL there are some fences. Do you think you will try to replicate the exact locations, or not at all? How do you compare your track and the real one? You compare youtube videos, or do you stick with satellite maps?? I am just curious :)

Fair enough, I like your approach to realism and your enthusiasm!
This kind of track is really needed, I would love to cruise on a Californian road next to the Ocean, I am sure you will deliver :)
Glad that you like my approach to realism and my enthusiasm :)
A fair part of the work has been learning how to get things from one program into another... Learning about modelling as I go along... That's why there are no barriers yet... They're spline objects and this is a new thing to me... basically a 2D profile extruded along a bezier curve (or whatever the correct term is) But at least I've worked out how to do the Low Res collision meshes.

Actually through your pictures, I've noticed that IRL there are some fences. Do you think you will try to replicate the exact locations, or not at all?
I will probably only be putting barriers on the worst corners, where the invisible collision meshes already are. In reality there are some corners you'd think should have safety barriers, but they don't... it really is a dangerous road IRL. Any barriers I put in, will be in the same kn5 as the collision meshes... currently 7.kn5 as quite a few people have said about leaving the barriers out... so if some people don't want the barriers they can simply rename, move or delete 7.kn5. I'd say it's split 60% of people want barriers 40% of people don't want any barriers for the extra excitement that causes. I personally don't mind either way... IMO for a 23km track, I think it's surprisingly easy to learn... I'd recommend turning the track description app on... As eventually the section names stay in memory. I'm pretty confident I could tell a section name from a screenshot (Southbound at least)

How do you compare your track and the real one? You compare youtube videos, or do you stick with satellite maps?? I am just curious :)
The track has been positioned by satellite elevation data, which started with a very detailed mesh (too detailed for performance reasons)... this combined with satellite imagery laid over the top to position the road. And then I've checked it to Youtube videos... To which, IMO it's totally recognisable (the road and terrain)... obviously without the exact scenery, bushes / barriers etc ATM... The final track will be some kind of balance between reality and artistic license. As some of the later sections of the real road are so tree lined that you can't even see the ocean, I'm not sure I want it that overgrown. But I will go for the balance I think works best :)

Basically satellite imagery is good for X & Y co-ordinates... with the elevation data pretty accurate down to around 1m I think, I double checked the elevation of the "road bed" through Youtube videos :) So it's never going to be as accurate as a laserscanned track! But pretty good I think :)

The signs are fine the way they are. They are to scale, and helpful. Like you said, at the speeds we're going at in the game, its unrealistic to be able to read them normally. They are reference points and that's about it. Aside from the first dozen attempts or so, one can memorize the track pretty well.

The signs are fine the way they are. They are to scale, and helpful. Like you said, at the speeds we're going at in the game, its unrealistic to be able to read them normally. They are reference points and that's about it. Aside from the first dozen attempts or so, one can memorize the track pretty well.
Glad you think that mate, as before I went for it and put all the different types of signs in, I did try one sign at a slightly larger scale... And it made little difference (if any) at the speeds I was going at, so for them to be readable... They'd have to be stupidly massive.

Glad you find them helpful, that's what they're there for... as a simple guide for doing a few, slighty quick, sighting "laps". or as is now agreed, braking reference points.
Also glad you're memorising the track, yeah it's quite an easy track to learn, it massively helped me when I put the sections.ini in... You must be putting in some fast times now? ;)

Maybe someone could start a thread or something for the times they're getting and in what car, I think that might be interesting... Not sure of the exact time, but the quickest I've done the South route is around 8 mins in a 962C.

I'm finding it a bit tricky to put much time into the track ATM but hopefully I will get an update on here before the holidays.

I finally got a chance to drive it again, on the most recent build. It's coming along nicely. To be honest, the three trips I did (all heading south) we driven like a regular driver who's got a led foot. Anywhere from 65-75 avg cruising speed...slower for the sharper turns. With occasional hooligan style foot to the floor driving into triple digits. Just trying to learn the track and also enjoy it at the same time. :) I drove the BMW Z4 E89 Step 1, Corvette Stingray (C7) & Lamborghini Countach. All three were a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

You must be putting in some fast times now? ;)

Maybe someone could start a thread or something for the times they're getting and in what car, I think that might be interesting... Not sure of the exact time, but the quickest I've done the South route is around 8 mins in a 962C.

I'm finding it a bit tricky to put much time into the track ATM but hopefully I will get an update on here before the holidays.

I haven't even downloaded the latest version, mind you I haven't played AC since building new comp.
But my times would never be fast since I only drive on 87-90% track conditions in hot weather.

A best times list could be cool for sure.

I finally got a chance to drive it again, on the most recent build. It's coming along nicely. To be honest, the three trips I did (all heading south) we driven like a regular driver who's got a led foot. Anywhere from 65-75 avg cruising speed...slower for the sharper turns. With occasional hooligan style foot to the floor driving into triple digits. Just trying to learn the track and also enjoy it at the same time. :) I drove the BMW Z4 E89 Step 1, Corvette Stingray (C7) & Lamborghini Countach. All three were a lot of fun. :thumbsup:
Cool choices mate :)
I haven't tried the Z4 but have tried the C7 & Countach, both suit the road well :) The Countach in particular is nicely balanced.
TBH Most cars I've test driven down here seem to be fun, I think it really shows Kunos's great selection of road cars, and their sublime physics!
I'd seriously recommend the 911 Carrera S, GT3 RS, Gallardo, R8, 488 GTB, F40.. And if you're in the mood for a challenging adrenaline rush... The 962C is pretty crazy ;) lol
Personally I prefer the Big Sur route, but I had to add the North route, even though I need to test the North properly... Mainly because there are are a few bumps that are more noticeable when driving North.
I have always thought it's interesting that when driving the same road in the opposite direction you have to take completely different lines.
Glad you have a lead foot, this track is good to cruise down and also to push it down too... lol I like the hooligan antics mate ;) The more you learn the track, I hope more of that occurs lol Wear those tyres out mate :)

I haven't even downloaded the latest version, mind you I haven't played AC since building new comp. But my times would never be fast since I only drive on 87-90% track conditions in hot weather. A best times list could be cool for sure.
Nice one mate, hope your new computer is coming along nicely :) Always great getting some new hardware. I've just got a new G29 (after having a 180° degree wheel) and it's blown AC wide open... 500% more steering accuracy... is pretty ****ing awesome :D
87 - 90% may not result in the best times, but I'm sure that results in a good balance between speed and tail happy fun ;)

I think you'll like the latest version... I think having the pits in the parking lots behind the gas stations (Pit boxes 1 & 2 are either side of the gas pumps) feels more natural than just having them dumped on the road. It also adds to the test drive feel of the track environment. You also might find the urge to drift around the gas station buildings. The gas station layouts were designed with that in mind... Had to be done.

Yeah I think a best times list will be cool, but I'm a bit of a forum newb, so I don't know where, what to call it, etc... on here or assettocorsa.net etc etc... If anyone feels the urge to do a list, feel free to put a link to it in this support section and I can add a link to the main overview page?

Cool choices mate :)

Nice one mate, hope your new computer is coming along nicely :) Always great getting some new hardware. I've just got a new G29 (after having a 180° degree wheel) and it's blown AC wide open... 500% more steering accuracy... is pretty ****ing awesome :D
87 - 90% may not result in the best times, but I'm sure that results in a good balance between speed and tail happy fun ;)

I think you'll like the latest version... I think having the pits in the parking lots behind the gas stations (Pit boxes 1 & 2 are either side of the gas pumps) feels more natural than just having them dumped on the road. It also adds to the test drive feel of the track environment. You also might find the urge to drift around the gas station buildings. The gas station layouts were designed with that in mind... Had to be done.

Maxed settings with 1440 resolution, yeah not too bad.

I only run "old" surface to resemble reality a bit more. I just can't see the real surface being as good as a race track. The cars are definitely more lively with low grip. I just took a rip in the Huarya and did 322 kph.

I also noticed with the latest version there are a lot more trees which makes some areas feel a lot more closed in. Takes some getting used to, but the sensation of speed goes up.

Maxed settings with 1440 resolution, yeah not too bad.
Sounds good the mate, sure you're having loads of fun with it :)
I only run "old" surface to resemble reality a bit more. I just can't see the real surface being as good as a race track. The cars are definitely more lively with low grip.
I have slightly lowered the road surface grip in the surfaces ini... It's still going to be far more grippy than a public highway with sand being blown over it though.
I just took a rip in the Huarya and did 322 kph.
That's certainly not hanging about ;) I think my fastest is around the 220mph area whatever that is in km/h
I also noticed with the latest version there are a lot more trees which makes some areas feel a lot more closed in. Takes some getting used to, but the sensation of speed goes up.
I take it you mean the southern quarter of the track? IRL that section is so tree lined you can't even see the ocean, but it is good that the sense of speed goes up... The sense of speed will go up on the next update as depending on FPS issues... there will be A LOT of small arid bushes either side of the road... Sort of similar to the foliage on Black Cat.

with the new custom championship option, is so easy having a police chase down here with your highway patrol skins. massive thanks man ;)
You're more than welcome mate :) I'm so glad Kunos have added the custom championship mode... It is an extremely welcome inclusion... Three cheers for Kunos! :) Good luck staying ahead of the Police! If you make/upload any police chase videos, feel free to share a link to it in here mate..
If not when I get time I'll make a video :)

Here are a few really rough screenshots of some other tracks I was working on before I decided to go with Pacific Coast... Will look into these more in 2017 along with another 3 tracks
Pacific_Island_01.jpg
Pacific Island (Real world location taken from satellite data)
Pacific_Volcano_01.jpg
Pacific Volcano (Real world location taken from satellite data)

Happy new year... :)
To everyone who has commented on, rated, and donated towards my 1st track for Assetto Corsa...
Thanks for all your support... Here's another rough screenshot of another WIP track for 2017 ;)
(Pacific Coast will continue to be my focus though)
Arizona_2.jpg
Arizona (working title) - The other tracks are a bit too good to give away any details just yet :)
Arizona_1.jpg

Consider liking my Facebook page to be kept up to date, as I might consider releasing alpha versions elsewhere ;)
https://www.facebook.com/Assetto-Corsa-Track-Cameras-457004497818986/ or subscribe to my YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs9dq3UTIMmM22orDjcOAsQ/
I'd appreciate it if you could share, spread the word, comment, rate, like or anything else you feel like doing...
regarding my mods / future projects.. Thanks, and again... Happy New Year :)

The Porsche Cayenne is pretty capable offroad, if anyone's thought about exploring the mountains ;)
Screenshot_ks_porsche_cayenne_pacific_coast_24-12-116-23-51-9.jpg

ATM I'm currently working on getting the highway textures close to AC standards, also improving the rest of the textures and adding a sideroad (or two) up into these mountains as a start location / locations, which will be used as the start points of any pursuit layouts (for the getaway drivers).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back