Overclocking a CPU for Assetto Corsa

Hi
I have an i7 4770k CPU which is I believe quite happy to be overclocked (and I have watercooling). I have overclocked it a little bit, not much.

My question is: will overclocking it more (to, say, 4.2 or 4.4Ghz) help me get more FPS in Assetto Corsa. Will it help especially in situations with a larger grid/more ai on track?

I'm getting a 1080 ti gfx card soon so the gfx card shouldn't be the bottleneck.

Anyone has any experience on this?

If you want to save some money, the 9700k will be the same performance for gaming for the next 10 years.
Most games only really use 4 cores maximum but it's good to have some headroom.
9600k might be critical in a few years with VR with its 6 cores but the 8 cores you'll be fine. Bought the 2600k in 2011 and while the i5 without HT is limiting a lot, forces my friends that got it to upgrade, I'm still fine. Core utilization wise!

My single thread performance sucks though and HT isn't the same boost as real cores for headroom.
I don't see games, especially Sims using more cores in the near future. The engine design just isn't there yet at all. You can't calculate a rear tyre simultaneously to the front tyre. You have to wait and run the chain reactions down.

Anyway, 8700k, 9700k, 9900k or wait for ryzen 3xxx is what I'd recommend. I'll grab either the ryzen or a 9700k on black Friday :)

Upvote 0
Edit: never mind, found the answer in another thread you posted, 1080Ti right? Did you overclock it? Should be about the same as my Titan XP right? There might be hope for me! :rolleyes:

Oh, and in the youtube video, you mean a full grid of AI or is it online?

My GTX 1080TI is overclocked to 2012 Mhz. For my I9-9900K I'm using a Corsair H150i watercooling.

My video is with 20 AI.

Upvote 0
The proper way to test this is underclocking. You underclock by some 20% or so. If the performance stays the same that wasn't your bottleneck and overclocking would be useless.

Underclocking is a lot simpler than significantly overclocking. You just drop the multiplier, that's it.

Upvote 0
My GTX 1080TI is overclocked to 2012 Mhz. For my I9-9900K I'm using a Corsair H150i watercooling.

My video is with 20 AI.

I’ve been experimenting a bit with Sol and AI. I get stable 90fps with 10 AI drivers during daylight (around 12:00), but as soon as the sun starts to set (around 18:20) and the headlights go on, my fps starts to drop significantly, to around 45-60. This is with ‘Lighting FX’ set to on in Sol.

So I have a question @fvdheide1963 do you have ‘Lighting FX’ turned on and do you drive around dusk or at night with the headlights turned on? Do you then still get 90fps with 20 AI?

Since I really like to do 24h endurance races (sped up time) this is important to me.

Upvote 0
I’ve been experimenting a bit with Sol and AI. I get stable 90fps with 10 AI drivers during daylight (around 12:00), but as soon as the sun starts to set (around 18:20) and the headlights go on, my fps starts to drop significantly, to around 45-60. This is with ‘Lighting FX’ set to on in Sol.

So I have a question @fvdheide1963 do you have ‘Lighting FX’ turned on and do you drive around dusk or at night with the headlights turned on? Do you then still get 90fps with 20 AI?

Since I really like to do 24h endurance races (sped up time) this is important to me.

Hi Hugo, yes, I have SOL 1.1 beta 7.02 and Light Shaders Patch preview 63 with weatherFX and Lighting FX turned on. I'll make a video of a short race at Daytona with 20 GTLM AI. At the start i get a little drop in fps, but after that almost constant 89-90 fps, even after sunset and with all the lights on track and headlights on. I had to adjust my video settings a little bit. This is what works best for this track, cars and for my setup.

Knipsel.JPG

Video is in the making ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Hugo, yes, I have SOL 1.1 beta 7.13 and Light Shaders Patch preview 63 and I have weatherFX and Lighting FX turned on. I'll make a video of a short race at Daytona with 20 GTLM AI. At the start i get a little drop in fps, but after that almost constant 89-90 fps, even after sunset and with all the lights on track and headlights on. I had to adjust my video settings a little bit. This is what works best for this track, cars and for my setup.

View attachment 297600

Video is in the making ;-)

Wow ok that’s very impressive then.. Thanks for taking the time to answer, I’m looking forward to your video. Could you maybe tell me, is your GPU at 100% or is it still CPU limited?

Yes I’m running the same Sol and Light Shaders Patch version, they improved the optimization a lot.. But that Lighting FX, it scares me:confused: it cuts my fps in half during night.

Upvote 0
Wow ok that’s very impressive then.. Thanks for taking the time to answer, I’m looking forward to your video. Could you maybe tell me, is your GPU at 100% or is it still CPU limited?
GPU never reaches 90% at Daytona. On other tracks it goes up to 95% with a full grid .. i race F1 mostly and during my last race at Albert Park my GPU was struggling. But still 89-90fps throughout the race. In daylight of course. But with higher graphics setting. Almost all to max.

Upvote 0
@HugoB Here is my quick crash video .. just a short race to demonstrate my fps performance before and after sunset. Don't mind my driving in this video, as it's just a quicky :)

Best watched in Youtube at 1080p60 resolution!

Thanks for doing the video, this is very helpful! I can see the Lighting FX is a very taxing effect, but the 9900K is still able to make a good race with 20 AI, that’s good to know.

Probably with some more tweaking it’s able to have solid 90fps throughout? For example, I use static rendering frequency for reflections, this has a huge boost in fps and I can’t see much difference to two or three faces when racing. Also MSAA 2x vs 4x also gives a massive fps boost and on the rift it looks pretty much the same with SS 1.5 and up. Well, we’ll have to wait for a 7Ghz per core CPU until everything can be maxed out with full grid, it’s crazy how heavy on CPU sim racing is.

Upvote 0
Thanks for doing the video, this is very helpful! I can see the Lighting FX is a very taxing effect, but the 9900K is still able to make a good race with 20 AI, that’s good to know.

it’s crazy how heavy on CPU sim racing is.

You're welcome.
Yeah, crazy indeed. Especially when AC uses only 2 (out of the available 16) threads! AC is so NOT-optimised for multithreaded cpu's.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back