Opinions on R3E: What's yours?

This is fine for ppl happy to dry-lap. RRE has improved over time - but I'm in the, "this is an outdated platform now" club. Best way to vent my frustration = stop buying DLC. When S3 care enough to drag RRE into modern times, I'll restart support. I buy the DLC, yet hardly lap with it - makes zero sense. I'm fed up of dry lapping. it's a personal thing.

We had rain in sims many years ago, then it all went tits-up IMHO. YMMV of course, that's fine. Why were Microprose ahead of their time. How long have I supported this stale engine for now, jeez. I've been doing this for a great many number of years - too long (dry-lapping) tbh. Hence the frustration. Approaching my mid 50's, I'm going to be more selective about who I give my savings to. Free to play software isn't the future. Otherwise S3 would have taken RRE to a modern place already. RRE, feels like a pay-to-improve model to me. By that I mean, RRE just releases tweaks here and there, but the fundamental tech is missing. We own this sim software, but at a UK track, we can't create a cold/overcast/low grip/wet or even damp scenario.

Fair play to Kunos for gambling, and having the passion/balls enough to deliver what some of us long for. By that I mean, driving at differing times of the day, in low grip situations. I get that we all don't see this as the "be all" of simracing. We all have opinions about SMS. At least they could be bothered to create time of day/weather, and moved the genre along. S3 is holding back the only genre I purchase games from. I'm unhappy about this lol. RRE started to feel stale, years ago. Much like how people feel that Codemasters have stunted the growth of the F1 platform, in the many years they've had the licence. Like a huge number of you, I've sunk huge amounts into regularly supporting S3. I hope one day, that a scenario arrives where I look forward to booting the platform and using the content I've purchased.

I know SimBin UK supposedly works on a modern game engine, supporting time of day/weather. Both platforms will likely share the tech. For me, it long overdue. Sorry S3, this is the only genre I enjoy. You starved your own engine of the features I've wanted most for years. It can't get any more broken than it is. You'll get nothing more now, until you care enough to update your engine tech.

Without bashing Raceroom I have found a sim without the 2 worst physical issues that was driving me ½ crazy in Raceroom.
1. Its impossible to attack curbs anything close to RL in Raceroom.
The car just loose any reasonable direction if one of the front wheels touch a curb in a corner.
Just check out the last chicane on Imola. Its like the car suddenly get glued to the curb and then want to make a grande italian pirouette.

2. Something strange happens if/when you shift up in a highspeed corner.
The car suddenly in a flash become extremely understeering - so you have to countersteer before the gearshift to save the car.

The reason Im posting this is because I think Racerooms TM and physics is pretty good - but could be much better if such unrealistic behaviour was ironed out.:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I think it was Nicki Thiim who mentioned that in RL you are able to attack curbs rather hard.
He called it curb riding:)

1. Its impossible to attack curbs anything close to RL in Raceroom.

2. Something strange happens if/when you shift up in a highspeed corner.
I can't honestly say that I have either of these problems, personally. Some cars don't handle curbs well, but they don't in RL either. Setup tweaks can often help if you really must attack curbs in such a car. though it's probably just easier to adjust your line and avoid them like the RL drivers do. (Imola is one of my favourite tracks, so I'm quite experienced at how the final chicane feels.)

The upshift thing happens in some of the more powerful cars, but again, that's not unusual or unexpected as far as I'm concerned. It's certainly not something which happens in every car.

I've owned R3E for around a year now. Unlike some who enjoy the noble art of sim-racing, R3E was the first serious simulator I owned. My teens were spent on Gran Turismo 3 and then later Forza 3. Good games for their time, but hardly sims. I missed the boat on GTR2, Race07 etc.

My set up is basic - plebian tier G29 clamped to a desk, with an IKEA Poang chair. My PC is very competent, but the actual input devices I use are pretty basic. Forgive the blogging but I suppose I'm just trying to highlight that I am hardly an authority on sim racing.

Overall I find R3E to be a highly enjoyable game. I was drawn to it originally for its sound design, which I still think is perhaps only bested by ACC even now. I'm still inclined to turn the headphones up to full if I'm in the Group 5 Capri. It has a nice selection of different car classes and, whilst we would all love Circuit de la Sarthe to be added, I think overall the track selection is nice as well. There is good variation between the characteristics of different car both within and across different classes. I also find the track designs are, on the whole, excellent.

Another reason for my initial attraction to R3E is the good reviews I saw about the AI and I was not disappointed. They put themselves into the gaps where they see the space and once you spend some time on Single Player the Adaptive AI feature works well. This, coupled with the ability to create custom multi-class championships with field size limited only by circuit choice, gives a depth to single player that I've found lacking in other sims I have played over the last year.

I can appreciate some previously expressed concerns with R3E, and others I cannot. Yes, day/night transition would be great, as would dynamic weather. And I must concur that I struggle to bring some cars back from the limit without binning it, with a couple of other sims I now play slightly more forgiving.

I was pleased to see the introduction of ranked servers. In an ideal world it would have been nice to make every server ranked on performance/safety to improve overall racing quality, but I do appreciate that R3E's
smaller online footprint probably prohibits this possibility. As it is public multiplayer races can be pretty hit and miss in my opinion.

The one gripe I absolutely cannot get on board with is the pay model. People (mainly Steam reviewers) seem aghast that there is only a limited selection of free content and you have to pay for the other content. I own all content on R3E, and this has probably cost me around £60/70 total. I spent around £30 on the Pro Pack when I got R3E and then around 8 months later, when I knew I really liked the game, I spent another £30 or so getting the rest of it. If you don't want to own certain content you don't have to - I'm not fussed for the new DTM content so I'll leave that. You pay for what you want, when you want it.

Goffik's GTR4 Championship on here has shown me what a great platform R3E is for close and intense racing if you can just install some basic rules that people agree to follow by choice. R3E doesn't do everything perfectly, nor does it offer absolutely everything that everybody wants, but no sim does. All the big sims have their pros and cons. R3E does a lot very well - my only wish is more people played it...and for Sector3 to release Circuit de la Sarthe.

The best about raceroom is the fact it has the best Custom Championship mode of any sim. You can easy set Up your Championship with any Cars and any tracks with any rules YOU want. Even multiclass.

The AI is also among the best you can get. And of Course - the sound is amazing. Physics and FF are solid good.

On the minus side i see only the bit dated visuals becouse of old engine

Last edited:
after some months i have to say again that cars handling in many cases is really good but the impossibility when you are in oversteer to save yourself (braking and power oversteer in same way) is very irritant, annoying and hateful even if you make a proper countersteer which results useless too many times, i really hope one day sector3 guys can correct this absurd side of rre physics

another fact i don't like is the excessive tendence to block tyres while braking in non abs cars as cupra and many others, i am really struggling with this, on the aquila you cand deal with it but with other cars is really, strongly and too easy to have flatspots, i have a loadcell brake but with some cars every braking point is a lottery even decreasing brake force , i am running in a champ with the p2 (when we can see a new p2 by the way?) and i can't tell you how many bad words coming down from the sky in my house

another fact i don't like is the excessive tendence to block tyres while braking in non abs cars as cupra and many others, i am really struggling with this,
This one sounds more like driver error than a sim issue, since I have no such problems in non-ABS cars. Not using load-cell either, and I rarely if ever need to reduce brake pressure.

Im not saying r3e physics is perfect, but all issues mentioned by you is driver error. Dont hold your breath for new P2 cars :whistling: I see a lot of people complaining about strange things in physics and its almost always about old physics cars, i recommend new physics cars :sneaky:

How do you know countersteer was done properly, if it didnt bring wanted results? How do you determine you are right and game is wrong?

Im not saying r3e physics is perfect, but all issues mentioned by you is driver error. Dont hold your breath for new P2 cars :whistling: I see a lot of people complaining about strange things in physics and its almost always about old physics cars, i recommend new physics cars :sneaky:

How do you know countersteer was done properly, if it didnt bring wanted results? How do you determine you are right and game is wrong?

maybe for the fact i am running from 15 years and maybe i have an idea how to countersteer for an oversteer? i am not a world champion but not a numb too buddy and what i say about this for how much i read about rre is not only a my opinion, anyway i agree obviously regarding old and new cars, in the new ones these issues are absent or more easy to deal but a lot of these new cars have abs and tc.............:whistling:

and i like rre a lot..even coming from rf2 world
i am only giving an evidence on some aspects i don't like and i am the first thinking that all sims have pros and cons sometimes for personal tastes too, for example i don't like assetto corsa at all but a lot of people are crazy for it, i am not telling to those guys how do they know ac is better than others

the aquila is very very good to be an old rre car....

anyway i give you an example, i was in daytona with the m6 gt3 some weeks ago, did a lot of training laps without particular problems, during the race in turn 4 while braking i feel the car moving its ass, ok? i release more and more the brakes to go a little longer giving no more importance to right apex to save myself but the ass continued to rotate again even doing a big countersteer and releasing weight on brake pedal to transfer weight on the rear, nothin , i lost it

i am telling you this cause i feel something strange in ffb when sometimes this happens in rre , something i can't never feel in rf2

maybe it is my t500 a plus on this issue o mine, as we know that's not the best wheel for raceroom....

Well, aquila was quite recently updated and features new physics, feels rly nice, i hope they will show some love to rest of free content, after all its was new folks use at first.

I can imagine that GT3, but the post itself isnt very informative on feedback level :p (video with input ftw) I remember folks complaining about behaviour of gt3 cars some time ago, maybe thats that. I didnt drive the series in a long time.
You gotta understand, i take every complain with a grain of salt, especially after last group 5 update :p Uproar was relatively huge compared to other updates and number of people providing inaccurate feedback was massive.
Need more info on that wheel problem
Years of experience dont help me much as well, 15 years of what? Real P2, virtual p2 or real Fiat Panda? How can you claim that your steering is proper and then admit you have wheel issues? Btw, funny thing, i once met a guy with real racing experience who said that AMS1 is **** because 911 cup car couldnt take second Hockenheim corner at 180kmh. Imagine i ask him about that and he resists with his experience

Rado, i appreciate your interest but if you take complains with salt problem is only yours, i don't use salt even for cooking and i never drove group 5 :laugh:

i like rre a lot and in 3 months i ran almost 20000 km with the sim just to give you an idea about how much i am loving it, so my intention is not to flame this thread buddy

raceroom has wonderful graphics for a dx9 sim, physics is almost sublime most of the times, ffb is very good and second only to rf2 in my opinion, user interface is simple and functional, competitions and leaderboards are a wonderful idea to put salt (in a good way) , fun and stimulation and i can contiue with other pros

this means it is perfect? absolutely not

and i repeat , what i am writing here is about little dark zones and i hope talking, writing and reading here can be constructive and not destructive of other persons opinion

i never played a sim which is perfect, of each one i love a lot of things and hate others, if you are here to say rre is perfect i am happy for you, really, but i think the intention of this thread is different

when i love a sim i hope talking about cons could be stimulating

you love not having rolling starts?
you love not having night and weather ? (i understand maybe this is possible only in dx11 , i know)
you love not having driver swap for endurance races?
you love not doing with your hands cool down lap?

and i repeat, maybe my english is not that good, that countersteer fact is not only a my opinion and i am not saying it happens ever or often,i only wrote sometimes is unpredictable and annoying, sometimes is the word and maybe the problem is increased by my t500 , not a real game or wheel issue, i was meaning that the cocktail between t500 and rre is not the best compared to other wheels as evident by the well known flatspot bug for example

i am understanding you are well skilled so if you explain me how to pass you my rre telemetry i send you all so you can see with your eyes and have a better feedback

Last edited:
ok Martin, for what i feel with some cars the tendence to block is too much strong, at least with the cocktail created by my hardware , wheel and pedals

and is true that with new cars is not so evident but with the old p2 i feel this even with low brake pressure compared to other cars, that's it

obviously i am not saying i am Joe Siffert and all is connected to my poor driving skills

ok Martin, for what i feel with some cars the tendence to block is too much strong, at least with the cocktail created by my hardware , wheel and pedals

and is true that with new cars is not so evident but with the old p2 i feel this even with low brake pressure compared to other cars, that's it

obviously i am not saying i am Joe Siffert and all is connected to my poor driving skills
Good evening my friend might I suggest that you check your braking parameters either with the Thrustmaster control panel or in-game. Check for any sudden jerky movements while slowly compressing and releasing the brake pedal. If there's any spiking up or down, you might want to check your brake pedals sprockets or cogs if you prefer. These can get clogged up from what comes off your feet. I've had this issue with my fanatic throttle cogs causing spikes up and down I cleaned the sprockets perfectly smooth once again. Be sure to hold the position on the brake pedal and check for any movement in that parameter. I don't know if this will help, but it is certainly worth checking. As I often do.
Have a good night.

Truth be told, there are some cars that are incredibly difficult under braking, like the FR Junior or the sprint version of the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, but the Cupra is pretty easy to handle.
some cars block immediately, others not, the fact is i am not a phenomenon in some cars and numb with others, that's it

I find it hard to rank sims in terms of favourites as they all seem to offer something that another doesn't. For example I actually like the starkness of RR in VR, it actually looks more 'real' to me than PC2 and AM2 even though they look better and technically are better visually.

As for 'feel' I like RR more than AMS2 but less than RF2 but I've never driven a race car or a car on slicks so past some road performance cars I've no idea how cars with a high but narrow grip band feel like IRL. With RR and RF2 I feel like I can feel the tyres or that is how I imagine race tyres feel like.

RR seems to give me the best solo experience though. The adaptive AI seems to work quite well and I've had quite a few seat of the pants last lap, last corner races.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back