Open Letter to Kunos Simulazioni and the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Open Letter Kunos Simulazioni.jpg

Dear Kunos Simulazioni,

There is no doubt that what you have managed to achieve over the lifetime of Assetto Corsa, from its early access period to it's current state (v1.1), has been incredibly impressive, especially considering the relative size of your development team (approximately 15 people, we believe). From the humble beginnings of a single track, and a couple of sports cars, Assetto Corsa has become one of the highest selling racing games on steam, and deservedly so, thanks to intelligent investment, ultra-high quality (and popular) content, unparalleled driving physics, and a vast expanse of modding capability. Assetto Corsa easily has the most potential to be something truly great out of all the current simulators on the market today.

However, despite all of these fantastic things, there is still one aspect of Assetto Corsa (that we here at RaceDepartment are especially passionate about) that is detracting from the rest of the game in a significant way: Multiplayer functionality, usability and netcode solidity. In its present state, we feel that the quality of the multiplayer experience is still vastly inadequate in comparison to not only the the rest of Assetto Corsa's competition, but inferior even to that of games seen in the early-mid 2000's. From a users perspective, the way Assetto Corsa handles latency differences and especially collisions, is not exactly what you would call a pretty sight, and this must be addressed if Assetto Corsa is to be taken seriously by online racing communities such as this one.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market). Unfortunately at the present moment, we don't feel that Assetto Corsa's multiplayer currently offers the stability and function required to keep the clients coming back for more. As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after a significant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races.

Properly functioning multiplayer races with fully supported features including sector splits, live timing, broadcast/spectator mode, stable netcode for high ping users, reverse grid features, multiple races, far more numerous number of grid slots (what GT series races with only 24 cars?), pitstop improvements and many many more features are all necessary for a complete and sustainable sim that will not only be profitable for you in the long run, but will also maximize the users enjoyment and will vastly increase the life span of the sim.

If you look at it from a 'man and machine versus the track' perspective, then few other racing sims out there can compete with what Assetto Corsa offers in terms of physics, sound and track immersion, providing what is probably the best hot-lapping and practice simulator available to the consumer ever created. However, looking at it as a 'multiplayer racing sim', then you quickly realise just how far Assetto Corsa seems to be lagging behind the competition.

We completely understand that such things take time to develop, and we are more than willing to be patient and wait for improvements for the multiplayer side of things to progress, however, Assetto Corsa has been in development now for more than enough time to warrant an acceptable standard of multiplayer functionality and stability. Given the huge level of success that Assetto Corsa has experienced, we believe that budgetary constraints might not represent such a big hurdle anymore for the studio, especially in terms of netcode investment.

Whilst it cannot be stressed enough just how amazing the quality of the content (cars and tracks) has been, we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game. If it is not addressed soon, then you'll run a real risk of seeing a significant and rapid decline in the population of the Assetto Corsa user-base.

As the largest SimRacing community in the world, we sincerely hope that the issues highlighted above will be focused on more heavily in future, as we believe that Assetto Corsa has the potential to be one of the top class racing simulators on the market.

In closing, we would like to leave you with one final thought, and that's that; whilst it's a surreal and genuinely spine-tingling experience to be able to drive highly accurate replications of legendary race tracks and cars, what is the point of all of this incredible content, if the limitations of the game's functionality and usability are preventing us from realising its full potential?

Hopefully in the not too distant future, Assetto Corsa will prove to be the amazing racing simulator that we, and everyone else, know it has the potential to be.

Kind Regards,
RaceDepartment.

Cari Kunos Simulazioni,
Non c'è dubbio che quello che siete riusciti a realizzare con Assetto Corsa, dalla sua fase early access alla sua versione corrente (1.1), sia stato incredibilmente notevole, specialmente considerando le dimensioni del team di sviluppo (circa 15 persone, crediamo).
Dai suoi umili inizi con un singolo tracciato e qualche auto sportiva, Assetto Corsa è diventato uno dei racing game più venduti su Steam, meritatamente, per via degli investimenti intelligenti, contenuti di qualità altissima (e popolari), fisica di guida impareggiabile ed un vasto supporto al modding.

Assetto Corsa ha indubbiamente il maggior potenziale per diventare qualcosa di davvero grandioso tra tutti i simulatori al momento sul mercato.

Ma, nonostante tutte queste fantastiche qualità, c'è ancora un aspetto di Assetto Corsa (a cui noi di RaceDepartment siamo particolarmente appassionati) che detrae dal resto del gioco in maniera significativa: la funzionalità, usabilità e stabilità del netcode in Multiplayer.
Crediamo che la qualità dell'esperienza multiplayer, nel suo stato attuale, sia ancora in gran parte inadeguata se confrontata non solo con i suoi rivali, ma anche con simulatori dei primi anni 2000.

Dal punto di vista dell'utente, il modo in cui Assetto Corsa gestisce le differenze di latenza e specialmente le collisioni non è esattamente ideale, e questo deve essere migliorato se il titolo vuole essere preso sul serio dalle comunità di racing online come la nostra.
Avere un sistema multiplayer ben oliato, per così dire, è essenziale alla sostenibilità a lungo termine di un simulatore - non solo per rimanere rilevante per il consumatore, ma anche per fare in modo che questo ritorni (iRacing, rFactor 2 e Game Stock Car Extreme sono tutti ottimi esempi, e che tra l'altro sono tutti vostri diretti competitori nel mercato dei simulatori).

Sfortunatamente al momento non ci sembra che il multiplayer di Assetto Corsa offra la stabilità e le funzionalità richieste per fare in modo che i clienti ritornino.

Come diretto risultato, abbiamo notato una marcata tendenza nelle corse del nostro RaceDepartment club in cui abbiamo un grande influsso di giocatori immediatamente dopo un aggiornamento importante, per poi vedere una significativa diminuzione nel giro di una settimana circa, man mano che i piloti si rendono conto che gli altri competitori nel mercato dei racing sim offrono più funzionalità per le corse in multiplayer.

Corse in multiplayer propriamente funzionanti con caratteristiche come split per i settori, cronometraggio in tempo reale, modalità spettatore\di trasmissione, netcode stabile per gli utenti con un ping alto, modalità a griglia invertita, corse multiple, un numero molto maggiore di posti sulla griglia (quale corsa GT ha solo 24 auto?), miglioramenti ai pitstop ed altre ancora sono necessarie per un simulatore completo e sostenibile che non solo sarà redditizio per voi, ma massimizzerà anche il divertimento degli utenti e aumenterà sostanzialmente l'arco di vita del vostro titolo.

Guardandolo dalla prospettiva di “uomo e macchina contro il tracciato”, pochi altri simulatori sul mercato possono competere con quello che offre Assetto Corsa in termini di fisica, sonoro ed immersione su pista, creando quella che è probabilmente il miglior simulatore di hot-lapping e pratica mai creato e venduto al consumatore.
Tuttavia, guardandolo come un “simulatore di corse in multiplayer”, ci si rende conto che Assetto Corsa è piuttosto indietro rispetto ai suoi rivali.

Noi capiamo completamente che cose del genere richiedono tempo per essere sviluppate, e siamo più che volenterosi di essere pazienti ed aspettare dei miglioramenti al multiplayer, ma Assetto Corsa è ormai in fase di sviluppo da abbastanza tempo per garantire uno standard accettabile di funzionalità e stabilità nelle modalità online.
Visto l'enorme successo che Assetto Corsa ha avuto, crediamo che i limiti di budget forse non siano più un grande ostacolo per lo studio, particolarmente in termini di investimento sul netcode.

Sebbene la qualità dei contenuti (sia auto che tracciati) sia davvero incredibile, noi di RaceDepartment crediamo fortemente che voi, Kunos Simulazioni, dobbiate spostare la vostra attenzione dall'implementare nuovi contenuti al migliorare la funzionalità del gioco. Se questi problemi non saranno risolti a breve, allora correrete il rischio di vedere un declino rapido e significativo del bacino d'utenza di Assetto Corsa.
Come la più grande community di SimRacing nel mondo, noi crediamo sinceramente che i problemi di cui abbiamo scritto sopra riceveranno più attenzione in futuro, perché crediamo che Assetto Corsa abbia il potenziale per diventare IL simulatore di corse sul mercato.

In chiusura, vorremmo lasciarvi con un ultimo pensiero: mentre essere in grado di guidare repliche incredibilmente accurate di auto e tracciati leggendari è un'esperienza surreale e davvero eccitante, a cosa servono tutti questi contenuti eccezionali se le limitazioni della funzionalità ed usabilità del gioco ci impediscono di realizzare tutto il loro potenziale?

Speriamo che in un futuro non troppo lontano Assetto Corsa dimostrerà di essere l'incredibile simulatore di corse che noi, così come chiunque altro, sappiamo che può diventare.

Cordiali saluti,
RaceDepartment.

...I would like to see resources focused on 24-hour lighting and maybe driver swaps.

I might remember wrong, bu my understanding when being it Italy was that driver swaps was not at all in anyones mind. There was very much other stuff that was important.

I'm sorry but the significant drop off the participation is due pay to play deal.
Other then that i agree 100% with everything else.

If it had solely been the Premium Membership, we would not have seen a sudden influx of drivers :)

Thank you guys for writing this.

While I'm far from the most active RD member and won't be taking part in any of your races, I do have to admit you guys have a better ability than anybody else to swing a strong punch with something like this.

Hopefully this will be the slap in the face that finally gets Kunos to wake up. I'm excited for the 50+ cars or whatever they have in the pipeline, but they won't mean anything if nobody is around online to play them, either because they forgot about the game or because DLC segregation keeps them out of 99% of the servers. For now I'm happy with hotlapping, but I will be racing in a league that's planned to start sometime in late April, and I have to say I'm really nervous about how it's going to work out because of how AC handles things. Already we have to run 2 sections because of the 24 car limit. No matter how many fanboys will tell us "they're a small team, stop being greedy blah blah blah" things like that will negatively impact the long term viability of the game, and therefore Kunos' ability to make money. It's a good thing all the major issues I have with the game seem fixable if the devs just put some time into it, because there isn't anything else that comes close in other areas that I've tried, but at the same time if another game came out that had AC level graphics, physics, modablility and good multiplayer I'd jump ship in an instant. Sorry, but that's just how the free market works.

Either way it will be interesting to see if and how their priorities tend to shift after this.

The open letter massively overstates the importance of on-line play. Lets face it, only 10-20% of sim racers race on-line and most of these are racing in iRacing. Kunos have no intention of providing a rival service to iRacing so while netcode improvements would be welcome they will not really alter the commercial success of AC, which is comfortably outselling rivals with better netcode.

Look where Kunos have come from. NetKar Pro was hardly a shining example of netcode and Ferrari Virtual Academy did not include on-line racing. While AC is better than NetKar Pro I'd suggest it was predictable that AC would not feature class leading netcode, just as it was predictable it would have class leading physics.

Little known fact: 73.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

I have about a dozen friends that all got into AC around the same time. Every one of us is mainly interested in online MP racing, and pretty much every one of us is disappointed with the current lack of features in AC's MP section (specified tire type, reverse grid, being able to change to a different track for the second race, enforced number of pitstops, a better results screen at the end of the race, better chat function, you know, basic sim racing options). Oh, and not a one of us use iRacing. If AC had any of these features then the "money grab" argument might make sense, but seeing as it has none of these features............ :O_o:

Oh, and you can have a fully engaging and entertaining online multiplayer experience without trying to rival iRacing. That's a nice strawman though. :thumbsup:

I think Assestto Corsa is excellent, cars look & feel great, and the DLC was also excellent :inlove:

But, can people who play single player only, honestly say they are happy with the AI? I think the AI is bad, yes better than terrible(which they were), but a long way off anything as good as RF2, R3E & GSCe. I cant play AC single player races, no immersion with the lacklustre AI.
That's where the multiplayer appeals to me in AC but there are so many features missing for a "released" game I am glad to see this "open letter" written :thumbsup:

Reread my first line old boy. There's a good fellow. :)

P.S. If RD are not going to charge for booking in AC then that is all good, but I bet you they will be.

You seem to be confusing two different points of contention. The article was written as honest criticism about a product that is now RETAIL, not EARLY ACCESS anymore. The fact that RD charges to user their servers to race isn't related to the criticism of AC that has a partially working function. That is where I disagree with Michael's post and where I disagreed with you when you said he was right.

Pleased to see this thread. As some one who is hosting a server I am happy to see Stefano's response also. Assetto really needs some love in the MP area now. I don't demand lots of new features, mainly just to have the existing things working at a 1.0 level of quality and the basic features that most good online racing sims have and take for granted.

Reread my first line old boy. There's a good fellow. :)

P.S. If RD are not going to charge for booking in AC then that is all good, but I bet you they will be.

I was going to keep my mouth shut on this as someone else mention this topic exploded really quickly but here are my thoughts anyways. If you want to bash me for them then feel free.

First off I think this open style letter should be done by everyone. The fact that RD has taken the initiative to write it publicly shows great character on their part and that they care about their members and the software they run. We can all agree that AC still needs some polishing to really make it that go to sim and make those that are running the likes of Race 07, rFactor(1/2), iRacing etc to make the move over. Additionally with PCars near release the competition is really going to take a step forward. This is simply a letter from the leaders of a community that have heard the complaints and suggestions of their members and felt something needed to be said on their behalf. Not really much different then one group of people mounting a protest based on everyone around them complaining. I think the letter was well thought, worded and I thank RD for giving them this message on my behalf.

Now just on this complaint of this being a money grab? The very first thing I would say is before you make a comment like that perhaps you should try running your own RD environment and see how it goes. Maintaining sites, forums, servers (data, race), fixing problems that occur for members and alike is a tedious time consuming and expensive venture to undertake. The fact that you can complain about the few dollars requested by RD and even incorporate it into this thread in my opinion is pretty juvenile. Their attempt at trying to help members (paid or otherwise) get more out of a game that they freely promote to us isn't a bad thing. Lots of people got a little upset when they asked for membership to race in planned sanctioned races but for those that read it they also stated other changes will occur, prizes and promotions so suck it up. If the tiny amount they ask for offends you feel free to go do some iRacing and see how your pocket book looks when you are done. (And that's before you can even do an online race.)

In closing I would like to be one of those that says: Thank you RD for your letter, I appreciate that you not only offer somewhere for me to go and enjoy great, clean online racing in almost any game but that you are looking out for my best interests with the games I use. Great Job Keep It Up.

I think Assestto Corsa is excellent, cars look & feel great, and the DLC was also excellent :inlove:

But, can people who play single player only, honestly say they are happy with the AI?

Happy? No.
But I've never seen a single player only person saying Kunos should stop Multiplayer development to focus just on AI.
While some MP players think Kunos should do the exact reverse of that just to suit them.

It's like this post from RD.
It's not speaking "on behalf of the sim community" at all.
It's speaking for a portion of them (a minority if figures are to be believed) not all of us.

One could even argue that they are only speaking out "on behalf" of that portion that will generate income for them, which MH already did and got pilloried for.
Just saying.

It's like being on the Battlefield 4 Forums.... "netcodeeeeeeeeee" etc.

Anyway.... something about MP i would like addressed is the ability for us who don't have the DLC to play on servers with those who do.
If someone owns the GTR - fine. I'll use the McLaren i've already paid for.
Kunos: Nooo. You must buy Nissan to use McLaren.
Me: Why?!
Kunos: Don't know. Just buy!

Even shite like Forza/GT6 don't force you to buy DLC to race with others who own it.
All it does is create smaller and smaller groups on each server the more DLC you release until no-one is playing anymore (literally!).

One could even argue that they are only speaking out "on behalf" of that portion that will generate income for them

There's a difference between "covering costs" and "making profit". Hosting a website and gaming servers isn't free, RD is entitled to try to drum up a bit of revenue to cover those costs for the service they provide us (I'm sure they aren't getting rich off of our paltry membership fees). If AC already had the basic MP features that other sims have had for years and RD still wrote this letter, then maybe the "cash grab" argument would have some validity. But AC doesn't have these basic MP features that one would expect to be in a racing sim, so their plea is valid and for many of us a breath of fresh air. As someone who came from console racing I've been thoroughly disappointed with the bare-bones nature of AC as I expected it to at least have basic features that have been around for a long time. It's great for hot-lapping, but I'd guess the majority of us are into this hobby because we want to feel like we're racing drivers and AC doesn't really accomplish that in its current form. I have faith that it will get there, eventually, but a gentle nudge to remind them of this was justified IMO.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market).

Not sure I agree with this. GSCE lives off its excellent offline package, as the online aspect is dead, and iRacing required a huge investment to get going and as I understand it is having trouble turning a profit. rFactor 2 I know nothing about so I'll take your word for it.

Of course, it would be in KS's best interest to retain their customers who do enjoy MP, and as such they should endeavor to improve the online functionality as it really is quite lacking ATM. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect any miracles in this area, just mainly polishing and a few essential features which are still missing and which incidentally will be funded by DLC (of the cars and tracks variety which has more mass-market appeal). No DLC, no real incentive to continue serious development on the sim.

My 2c.

Rant coming......

I find it incredible that any critisism has been levelled at the RD open letter to Kunos. I mean, at what point in their brain malfunction (otherwise known as thinking) did they see that as a chance to have a go a RaceDepartment?

As for the silly comments about RD now making a profit and making members pay to use the RD servers and have clean club and league races, well that just beggars belief. Some of these sad people are bemoaning the fact that they have been asked to pay 0.05479 of a Euro per day to have such great online racing opportunity and other membership benefits. Incredible. Are these people the tightest in the world? What can you buy for 0.054 Euro's? You certainly can't buy any other form of Race Sim entertainment for that paltry amount.

Pathetic really and to be honest, any one moaning at this fact is sadder than a sad thing from the planet Glum.

RD are actively attempting to get a Race sim to be even better and they get attacked for doing so by what I can only say are probably the ones from that other part of the internet, the LowNet. You have heard of the darknet, well the lownet is where saddo's come from. Saddo's with nothing else better to do.

Edit: Only get upset and add dislikes if this applies to you. ;)

End of rant.....

This is WHY and its a fact, this is WHY "significant drop off in participation happen" its not because if the AC itself. So your beautifully writen rant is useless.
The price for what you pay is nothing, and i would pay if there was AC league, there is not and i dont want to race in random races so i dont pay for premium atm.
That said, the letter applies that Kunos and the AC is the reason behind the "significant drop off in participation" which lets be honest and its not the whole truth, is it ?
Rant about whatever you want, and dislike as much as you want. But open your eyes and brain.

/edit
And cmon are you 12? Everyone jumping defending RD, barely making the costs, and doing it only for the community. They need this whatever amount of money from you otherwise the site will go down, seriously did they show in detail how much they make and how much they spend?
This are not 14 year old teens running the site, this are probably grown man that need to support them selfs, i'm positive RD was profitable even before the pay to play deal, now they just make more money. THEY DONT DO IT JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT, and because they want to help the community. Yes that is one of the reasons but lets face it, in 2015 even if u started with helping the community in mind everything becomes about the money very fast.

Hey look, i dont blame them. Again for what they offer this is nothing. But i hate when people jump from there seats to defend stuff so passionately.

Last edited:
Even shite like Forza/GT6 don't force you to buy DLC to race with others who own it.
All it does is create smaller and smaller groups on each server the more DLC you release until no-one is playing anymore (literally!).

You would still need to have the DLC cars downloaded to race against them, otherwise you would race against some texture placeholder boxes. So they would need to let everyone download DLC content, which in turn needs some encryption so cars can't be unlocked, and encryptions tend to get hacked. Ultimately this is problematic of the whole DLC concept, no easy solution exists.

Where, oh where, are these and other "numbers" coming from. I highly doubt that the majority of online simmers are doing iRacing. While the numbers are for all "online" games, in 2013, the polls indicated 72% of gamers play online (up 5% from 2012). The trend is for more and more gamers (and this includes simmers) to participate online. If developers want to capture the current and future markets, they need to have solid online support.

<snip> Lets face it, only 10-20% of sim racers race on-line and most of these are racing in iRacing. </snip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes