Open Letter to Kunos Simulazioni and the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Open Letter Kunos Simulazioni.jpg

Dear Kunos Simulazioni,

There is no doubt that what you have managed to achieve over the lifetime of Assetto Corsa, from its early access period to it's current state (v1.1), has been incredibly impressive, especially considering the relative size of your development team (approximately 15 people, we believe). From the humble beginnings of a single track, and a couple of sports cars, Assetto Corsa has become one of the highest selling racing games on steam, and deservedly so, thanks to intelligent investment, ultra-high quality (and popular) content, unparalleled driving physics, and a vast expanse of modding capability. Assetto Corsa easily has the most potential to be something truly great out of all the current simulators on the market today.

However, despite all of these fantastic things, there is still one aspect of Assetto Corsa (that we here at RaceDepartment are especially passionate about) that is detracting from the rest of the game in a significant way: Multiplayer functionality, usability and netcode solidity. In its present state, we feel that the quality of the multiplayer experience is still vastly inadequate in comparison to not only the the rest of Assetto Corsa's competition, but inferior even to that of games seen in the early-mid 2000's. From a users perspective, the way Assetto Corsa handles latency differences and especially collisions, is not exactly what you would call a pretty sight, and this must be addressed if Assetto Corsa is to be taken seriously by online racing communities such as this one.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market). Unfortunately at the present moment, we don't feel that Assetto Corsa's multiplayer currently offers the stability and function required to keep the clients coming back for more. As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after a significant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races.

Properly functioning multiplayer races with fully supported features including sector splits, live timing, broadcast/spectator mode, stable netcode for high ping users, reverse grid features, multiple races, far more numerous number of grid slots (what GT series races with only 24 cars?), pitstop improvements and many many more features are all necessary for a complete and sustainable sim that will not only be profitable for you in the long run, but will also maximize the users enjoyment and will vastly increase the life span of the sim.

If you look at it from a 'man and machine versus the track' perspective, then few other racing sims out there can compete with what Assetto Corsa offers in terms of physics, sound and track immersion, providing what is probably the best hot-lapping and practice simulator available to the consumer ever created. However, looking at it as a 'multiplayer racing sim', then you quickly realise just how far Assetto Corsa seems to be lagging behind the competition.

We completely understand that such things take time to develop, and we are more than willing to be patient and wait for improvements for the multiplayer side of things to progress, however, Assetto Corsa has been in development now for more than enough time to warrant an acceptable standard of multiplayer functionality and stability. Given the huge level of success that Assetto Corsa has experienced, we believe that budgetary constraints might not represent such a big hurdle anymore for the studio, especially in terms of netcode investment.

Whilst it cannot be stressed enough just how amazing the quality of the content (cars and tracks) has been, we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game. If it is not addressed soon, then you'll run a real risk of seeing a significant and rapid decline in the population of the Assetto Corsa user-base.

As the largest SimRacing community in the world, we sincerely hope that the issues highlighted above will be focused on more heavily in future, as we believe that Assetto Corsa has the potential to be one of the top class racing simulators on the market.

In closing, we would like to leave you with one final thought, and that's that; whilst it's a surreal and genuinely spine-tingling experience to be able to drive highly accurate replications of legendary race tracks and cars, what is the point of all of this incredible content, if the limitations of the game's functionality and usability are preventing us from realising its full potential?

Hopefully in the not too distant future, Assetto Corsa will prove to be the amazing racing simulator that we, and everyone else, know it has the potential to be.

Kind Regards,
RaceDepartment.

Cari Kunos Simulazioni,
Non c'è dubbio che quello che siete riusciti a realizzare con Assetto Corsa, dalla sua fase early access alla sua versione corrente (1.1), sia stato incredibilmente notevole, specialmente considerando le dimensioni del team di sviluppo (circa 15 persone, crediamo).
Dai suoi umili inizi con un singolo tracciato e qualche auto sportiva, Assetto Corsa è diventato uno dei racing game più venduti su Steam, meritatamente, per via degli investimenti intelligenti, contenuti di qualità altissima (e popolari), fisica di guida impareggiabile ed un vasto supporto al modding.

Assetto Corsa ha indubbiamente il maggior potenziale per diventare qualcosa di davvero grandioso tra tutti i simulatori al momento sul mercato.

Ma, nonostante tutte queste fantastiche qualità, c'è ancora un aspetto di Assetto Corsa (a cui noi di RaceDepartment siamo particolarmente appassionati) che detrae dal resto del gioco in maniera significativa: la funzionalità, usabilità e stabilità del netcode in Multiplayer.
Crediamo che la qualità dell'esperienza multiplayer, nel suo stato attuale, sia ancora in gran parte inadeguata se confrontata non solo con i suoi rivali, ma anche con simulatori dei primi anni 2000.

Dal punto di vista dell'utente, il modo in cui Assetto Corsa gestisce le differenze di latenza e specialmente le collisioni non è esattamente ideale, e questo deve essere migliorato se il titolo vuole essere preso sul serio dalle comunità di racing online come la nostra.
Avere un sistema multiplayer ben oliato, per così dire, è essenziale alla sostenibilità a lungo termine di un simulatore - non solo per rimanere rilevante per il consumatore, ma anche per fare in modo che questo ritorni (iRacing, rFactor 2 e Game Stock Car Extreme sono tutti ottimi esempi, e che tra l'altro sono tutti vostri diretti competitori nel mercato dei simulatori).

Sfortunatamente al momento non ci sembra che il multiplayer di Assetto Corsa offra la stabilità e le funzionalità richieste per fare in modo che i clienti ritornino.

Come diretto risultato, abbiamo notato una marcata tendenza nelle corse del nostro RaceDepartment club in cui abbiamo un grande influsso di giocatori immediatamente dopo un aggiornamento importante, per poi vedere una significativa diminuzione nel giro di una settimana circa, man mano che i piloti si rendono conto che gli altri competitori nel mercato dei racing sim offrono più funzionalità per le corse in multiplayer.

Corse in multiplayer propriamente funzionanti con caratteristiche come split per i settori, cronometraggio in tempo reale, modalità spettatore\di trasmissione, netcode stabile per gli utenti con un ping alto, modalità a griglia invertita, corse multiple, un numero molto maggiore di posti sulla griglia (quale corsa GT ha solo 24 auto?), miglioramenti ai pitstop ed altre ancora sono necessarie per un simulatore completo e sostenibile che non solo sarà redditizio per voi, ma massimizzerà anche il divertimento degli utenti e aumenterà sostanzialmente l'arco di vita del vostro titolo.

Guardandolo dalla prospettiva di “uomo e macchina contro il tracciato”, pochi altri simulatori sul mercato possono competere con quello che offre Assetto Corsa in termini di fisica, sonoro ed immersione su pista, creando quella che è probabilmente il miglior simulatore di hot-lapping e pratica mai creato e venduto al consumatore.
Tuttavia, guardandolo come un “simulatore di corse in multiplayer”, ci si rende conto che Assetto Corsa è piuttosto indietro rispetto ai suoi rivali.

Noi capiamo completamente che cose del genere richiedono tempo per essere sviluppate, e siamo più che volenterosi di essere pazienti ed aspettare dei miglioramenti al multiplayer, ma Assetto Corsa è ormai in fase di sviluppo da abbastanza tempo per garantire uno standard accettabile di funzionalità e stabilità nelle modalità online.
Visto l'enorme successo che Assetto Corsa ha avuto, crediamo che i limiti di budget forse non siano più un grande ostacolo per lo studio, particolarmente in termini di investimento sul netcode.

Sebbene la qualità dei contenuti (sia auto che tracciati) sia davvero incredibile, noi di RaceDepartment crediamo fortemente che voi, Kunos Simulazioni, dobbiate spostare la vostra attenzione dall'implementare nuovi contenuti al migliorare la funzionalità del gioco. Se questi problemi non saranno risolti a breve, allora correrete il rischio di vedere un declino rapido e significativo del bacino d'utenza di Assetto Corsa.
Come la più grande community di SimRacing nel mondo, noi crediamo sinceramente che i problemi di cui abbiamo scritto sopra riceveranno più attenzione in futuro, perché crediamo che Assetto Corsa abbia il potenziale per diventare IL simulatore di corse sul mercato.

In chiusura, vorremmo lasciarvi con un ultimo pensiero: mentre essere in grado di guidare repliche incredibilmente accurate di auto e tracciati leggendari è un'esperienza surreale e davvero eccitante, a cosa servono tutti questi contenuti eccezionali se le limitazioni della funzionalità ed usabilità del gioco ci impediscono di realizzare tutto il loro potenziale?

Speriamo che in un futuro non troppo lontano Assetto Corsa dimostrerà di essere l'incredibile simulatore di corse che noi, così come chiunque altro, sappiamo che può diventare.

Cordiali saluti,
RaceDepartment.

You would still need to have the DLC cars downloaded to race against them, otherwise you would race against some texture placeholder boxes. So they would need to let everyone download DLC content, which in turn needs some encryption so cars can't be unlocked, and encryptions tend to get hacked. Ultimately this is problematic of the whole DLC concept, no easy solution exists.
I could be wrong as I'm fairly ignorant of game development, but I would think that they could include just the models and animations for the cars, and withhold the physics files until you purchase the DLC.

Have to agree that the timing of this was poor - just 5 days after the release of incredible dlc that they offered at a low price for the AC fans.
The write-up would have looked a lot better if you had waited a couple of weeks before sending it, and - no offence - but one or two sentences in there are a bit out of order.
anyway, back to green hell :mad:

Of course, it would be in KS's best interest to retain their customers who do enjoy MP, and as such they should endeavor to improve the online functionality as it really is quite lacking ATM. But I don't think it's reasonable to expect any miracles in this area, just mainly polishing and a few essential features which are still missing and which incidentally will be funded by DLC (of the cars and tracks variety which has more mass-market appeal). No DLC, no real incentive to continue serious development on the sim.

That sums up my thoughts on the matter perfectly. And now that they're bringing in some money from the DLC, some of us are hoping for some polishing and addition of the few essential features. It doesn't have to be iRacing or anything close to it, just make it a little more useable and stable and I think a lot of us would be quite satisfied.

Wow, since so many are convinced this is a money grab maybe RD should limit forum posts to paid members only? Then you would have a legitimate reason to post your displeasure in the forum about those 4 drinks you missed out on this year because you had to buy a membership. THAT is what is considered a money grab, NOT asking for investment to help keep the services they provide running as smooth as possible.

I can't wait to see the replay to your open letter, which is quite fair.
My experience in MP is limited, as I started quite recently. I have also tried iRacing for a while and in total we talking about a bit more than a year. I have to trust RD admin and the more expert guys about the technical issues Assetto have and other sims don't.
What I have noticed is that MP, is very good if you are a fast sim-racer, however, it does seem to discourage people who are not as fast as the top guys. In SP mode you can choose the level which best suit you and be happy with fighting AI as much as you like. If you guys could guide people of all ability to race MP that would make a huge difference. MP is by far is the most fulfilling experience of sim-racing, but it is small elite of sim-racers who enjoys most, and solving Assetto MP problems would not change much.
I may be very wrong, as I said I have very little experience of MP.

Dear RD endorse all your letter and I think you're right about everything, many that run on AC have the same feeling, pass up the flame of stupid fan boy who with their little brains do not understand that loving one thing you can make critical to see it improve, multiplayer is a very important aspect and basic of a sim as well may be the single player, unfortunately today on AC neither one nor the other work in order to give satisfaction to the players and this is serious. As you say the servers are full to the release of important content but after a week go empty, anyone can see that! and who still tells the story that only 60% or less goes on line says nonsense, because people go online but then goes away because missing too many important features, so the noobs remain on track to collide with one another and make races impassable. Who says otherwise does not want to see AC grow well, maybe they do not realize or most likely have never played on high sim to have a comparison. Thanks for gathering the thoughts of many and your courage.

I have been posting at Racedepartment for years, and the site offers a lot of great things to the simracer, but there has always been a belief among RD membership that online multiplayer is the only thing that matters.

Both Kunos and Slightly Mad Studios are treading a different path: they are aiming at the 70%+ of game purchasers who dont go online, and like to play career mode, race the AI or hotlap. I am glad of this, since if every sim was online only the user base would be dramatically smaller. As it is, AC and pCARS, with their focus on shiny graphics, licensed cars and tracks, career mode are bringing in a bigger audience to "sim racing" than ever before. Some of those will then graduate over to multiplayer sites like RaceRoom or over to iRacing.

Personally I would like to see Kunos retain their focus on quality content for the discerning offline player and aim to improve their AI above all else. Let RD focus on RaceRoom, GSCE and rFactor 2....

I have AC and the DLC, i drove it for the first time in months when the dlc was launched. I was part of a league in my country that used AC, and i was one of the top drivers. I stopped playing it due to constant stupid bugs ruining my chances of winning and then tried GSC out.

GSC has the most amazing physics, lots of download content, great online racing the best i have ever had on a pc and pretty comparable to my real world experience in racing. GSC online is certainly not dead. Its also very cheaply priced, and maintained with updates and new content for free.

I try AC now and again with online racing being my main focus, to be let down over and over. It seems its a common trend to make games flashy with nice graphics rather than functional...then get as much revenue as possible from the hype and to keep releasing dlc to get more money and never to fix the issues.

I have given up on AC regarding online. Its a fun game yes but not a good race experience. Its meant to be a racing simulator yet racing is currently its worst piece of coding.

My point is that AC lost me as a client to GSC, because GSC has the best driving physics and racing experience online for me.

Both Kunos and Slightly Mad Studios are treading a different path: they are aiming at the 70%+ of game purchasers who dont go online, and like to play career mode, race the AI or hotlap. I am glad of this, since if every sim was online only the user base would be dramatically smaller. As it is, AC and pCARS, with their focus on shiny graphics, licensed cars and tracks, career mode are bringing in a bigger audience to "sim racing" than ever before. Some of those will then graduate over to multiplayer sites like RaceRoom or over to iRacing.

That would be nice if it wasn't because the offline mode sucks even more than the MP, full of boring events without any interest and broken AI, especially when racing against different cars (faster cars can't overtake slow ones, and the game was officially released months ago).

There's a difference between "covering costs" and "making profit". Hosting a website and gaming servers isn't free

Please don't think I have an issue with RD generating income.
They provide a great service to the community, and have no problems at all with them finding ways to keep funding that service.
What I objected to is one persons gripe-list for AC (no different to the thousands that already exist on Kunos' forum) being posted on a news site as though it was speaking out on behalf of the community. It was speaking out for part of them sure, but not all.

I'm not going to go into drama or intricacies of all of this but I'll say that what is needed is either a 3rd-party developer, whose experienced and/or knowledgeable of programming concepts relating to networking, to help develop better netcode. Alternatively, perhaps Kunos can be approached from an employment perspective and have someone directly involved with the team to program this portion. As its been previously said, its not simply a matter of "shifting the team's focus", a programmer programs and an artist makes 3D models/texturing/sound, the two paths rarely intersect and I'm talking as a third year Games Development student. Stefano, in this case, is the one who needs to shift his focus. I'm not sure how moddable AC is but if this can be altered, then stop talking about it and actually code it. We can talk and talk about how important MP is to keep a sim alive but if no direct action is taken, then discussion is useless and a waste of all of our time.

To be fair to Stefano in particular, I believe he is focusing still on engine (game engine) stability and performance. This is actually more important than MP development. What good is it to have rock solid netcode if every other frame a game drops by 10fps? Practically irrelevant and useless. (I know AC doesn't have this problem, just giving an example)

Last edited:
Wow, since so many are convinced this is a money grab maybe RD should limit forum posts to paid members only? Then you would have a legitimate reason to post your displeasure in the forum about those 4 drinks you missed out on this year because you had to buy a membership. THAT is what is considered a money grab, NOT asking for investment to help keep the services they provide running as smooth as possible.

And on that note, I'm not going to bad mouth iRacing because they're online service is the gold standard but you can't even view their forums without a paid membership which is quite a contrast to what RD offers here.

i'm positive RD was profitable even before the pay to play deal, now they just make more money. THEY DONT DO IT JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT, and because they want to help the community.

Back when Kunos held their Press Launch at Vallelunga in 2014. RaceDepartment had two guys down there. @Marco Bijl and myself. We did it to cover the press launch, as a way to provide news early, with some luck. First.
RD is so profitable, that it wasn't possible to afford us with a meal down in Italy. Because RD is not profitable at all. I won't go into the finances, but RD is not making money.
Instead I used a bit under 700 EUR of my own money + lost income from skipping work because it would be an amazing experience, and I would be able to provide people with information. I do it, because I like it.
The same reason is why I'm hosting the RallyChampionship here, I want to give something back, I'm enjoying it. The only two thing I get from it, is friendly messages, and angry messages :)

Both Kunos and Slightly Mad Studios are treading a different path: they are aiming at the 70%+ of game purchasers who dont go online, and like to play career mode, race the AI or hotlap..

While I can accept that there might be a difference between simracers and "normal gamers".

These sources here show a different picture - more toward the other way. That 70%+ consumers play online.
There is a wopping 60%+ of FPS gamers, that don't bother finishing a Single Player campaign!

While I can accept that there might be a difference between simracers and "normal gamers".

These sources here show a different picture - more toward the other way. That 70%+ consumers play online.
There is a wopping 60%+ of FPS gamers, that don't bother finishing a Single Player campaign!
Without a breakdown to show how that figure is spread over casual gamers playing word feud or draw something with friends, I have difficulty placing that article's conclusions...

I'm an RD staff member, and I'd just like to say I don't get paid.

@Bram has us all addicted to a special drug that only he can provide, and if we don't do his bidding, he doesn't distribute it. He calls it "Bramadol". The withdrawal effects are atrocious - nausea, explosive diarrhoea, and impotence. Every day we all line up at his Caribbean villa, past his scantily-clad pool-side ladies in order to collect our daily dose. He's like a sim racing version of Jabba the Hutt. Thankfully though we have a plan! If our plan goes well, AC will be making us so much money soon that we can create our own source of Bramadol. It's a perfect plan - write an open letter and then sit back and watch the cash roll in. Yeah baby!

/edit
And cmon are you 12? Everyone jumping defending RD, barely making the costs, and doing it only for the community. They need this whatever amount of money from you otherwise the site will go down, seriously did they show in detail how much they make and how much they spend?
This are not 14 year old teens running the site, this are probably grown man that need to support them selfs, i'm positive RD was profitable even before the pay to play deal, now they just make more money. THEY DONT DO IT JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE IT, and because they want to help the community. Yes that is one of the reasons but lets face it, in 2015 even if u started with helping the community in mind everything becomes about the money very fast.

You are so wrong Deyan. Very wrong. And like someone else has already stated I would allow only Premium members to post because of the rubbish you have just spouted. This is not aimed at non premium members but at mistaken members who have a real chip on their shoulders. I would personally ban you for the bad mouthing and the false accusations to be honest. :rolleyes:
saying_chip-on-shoulder_zpshhhocd0y.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play