Open Letter to Kunos Simulazioni and the Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Open Letter Kunos Simulazioni.jpg

Dear Kunos Simulazioni,

There is no doubt that what you have managed to achieve over the lifetime of Assetto Corsa, from its early access period to it's current state (v1.1), has been incredibly impressive, especially considering the relative size of your development team (approximately 15 people, we believe). From the humble beginnings of a single track, and a couple of sports cars, Assetto Corsa has become one of the highest selling racing games on steam, and deservedly so, thanks to intelligent investment, ultra-high quality (and popular) content, unparalleled driving physics, and a vast expanse of modding capability. Assetto Corsa easily has the most potential to be something truly great out of all the current simulators on the market today.

However, despite all of these fantastic things, there is still one aspect of Assetto Corsa (that we here at RaceDepartment are especially passionate about) that is detracting from the rest of the game in a significant way: Multiplayer functionality, usability and netcode solidity. In its present state, we feel that the quality of the multiplayer experience is still vastly inadequate in comparison to not only the the rest of Assetto Corsa's competition, but inferior even to that of games seen in the early-mid 2000's. From a users perspective, the way Assetto Corsa handles latency differences and especially collisions, is not exactly what you would call a pretty sight, and this must be addressed if Assetto Corsa is to be taken seriously by online racing communities such as this one.

Having a well-oiled multiplayer machine, so to speak, is essential to the long term sustainability of a simulator to not only remain relevant to the consumer, but to have them coming back for more (iRacing, rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car Extreme are all excellent examples of this, and all of them, incidentally, are your direct competitors in the sim market). Unfortunately at the present moment, we don't feel that Assetto Corsa's multiplayer currently offers the stability and function required to keep the clients coming back for more. As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after a significant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races.

Properly functioning multiplayer races with fully supported features including sector splits, live timing, broadcast/spectator mode, stable netcode for high ping users, reverse grid features, multiple races, far more numerous number of grid slots (what GT series races with only 24 cars?), pitstop improvements and many many more features are all necessary for a complete and sustainable sim that will not only be profitable for you in the long run, but will also maximize the users enjoyment and will vastly increase the life span of the sim.

If you look at it from a 'man and machine versus the track' perspective, then few other racing sims out there can compete with what Assetto Corsa offers in terms of physics, sound and track immersion, providing what is probably the best hot-lapping and practice simulator available to the consumer ever created. However, looking at it as a 'multiplayer racing sim', then you quickly realise just how far Assetto Corsa seems to be lagging behind the competition.

We completely understand that such things take time to develop, and we are more than willing to be patient and wait for improvements for the multiplayer side of things to progress, however, Assetto Corsa has been in development now for more than enough time to warrant an acceptable standard of multiplayer functionality and stability. Given the huge level of success that Assetto Corsa has experienced, we believe that budgetary constraints might not represent such a big hurdle anymore for the studio, especially in terms of netcode investment.

Whilst it cannot be stressed enough just how amazing the quality of the content (cars and tracks) has been, we here at RaceDepartment feel very strongly that you, Kunos Simulazioni, must shift your attention from implementing new cars and tracks to improving the functionality of the game. If it is not addressed soon, then you'll run a real risk of seeing a significant and rapid decline in the population of the Assetto Corsa user-base.

As the largest SimRacing community in the world, we sincerely hope that the issues highlighted above will be focused on more heavily in future, as we believe that Assetto Corsa has the potential to be one of the top class racing simulators on the market.

In closing, we would like to leave you with one final thought, and that's that; whilst it's a surreal and genuinely spine-tingling experience to be able to drive highly accurate replications of legendary race tracks and cars, what is the point of all of this incredible content, if the limitations of the game's functionality and usability are preventing us from realising its full potential?

Hopefully in the not too distant future, Assetto Corsa will prove to be the amazing racing simulator that we, and everyone else, know it has the potential to be.

Kind Regards,
RaceDepartment.

Cari Kunos Simulazioni,
Non c'è dubbio che quello che siete riusciti a realizzare con Assetto Corsa, dalla sua fase early access alla sua versione corrente (1.1), sia stato incredibilmente notevole, specialmente considerando le dimensioni del team di sviluppo (circa 15 persone, crediamo).
Dai suoi umili inizi con un singolo tracciato e qualche auto sportiva, Assetto Corsa è diventato uno dei racing game più venduti su Steam, meritatamente, per via degli investimenti intelligenti, contenuti di qualità altissima (e popolari), fisica di guida impareggiabile ed un vasto supporto al modding.

Assetto Corsa ha indubbiamente il maggior potenziale per diventare qualcosa di davvero grandioso tra tutti i simulatori al momento sul mercato.

Ma, nonostante tutte queste fantastiche qualità, c'è ancora un aspetto di Assetto Corsa (a cui noi di RaceDepartment siamo particolarmente appassionati) che detrae dal resto del gioco in maniera significativa: la funzionalità, usabilità e stabilità del netcode in Multiplayer.
Crediamo che la qualità dell'esperienza multiplayer, nel suo stato attuale, sia ancora in gran parte inadeguata se confrontata non solo con i suoi rivali, ma anche con simulatori dei primi anni 2000.

Dal punto di vista dell'utente, il modo in cui Assetto Corsa gestisce le differenze di latenza e specialmente le collisioni non è esattamente ideale, e questo deve essere migliorato se il titolo vuole essere preso sul serio dalle comunità di racing online come la nostra.
Avere un sistema multiplayer ben oliato, per così dire, è essenziale alla sostenibilità a lungo termine di un simulatore - non solo per rimanere rilevante per il consumatore, ma anche per fare in modo che questo ritorni (iRacing, rFactor 2 e Game Stock Car Extreme sono tutti ottimi esempi, e che tra l'altro sono tutti vostri diretti competitori nel mercato dei simulatori).

Sfortunatamente al momento non ci sembra che il multiplayer di Assetto Corsa offra la stabilità e le funzionalità richieste per fare in modo che i clienti ritornino.

Come diretto risultato, abbiamo notato una marcata tendenza nelle corse del nostro RaceDepartment club in cui abbiamo un grande influsso di giocatori immediatamente dopo un aggiornamento importante, per poi vedere una significativa diminuzione nel giro di una settimana circa, man mano che i piloti si rendono conto che gli altri competitori nel mercato dei racing sim offrono più funzionalità per le corse in multiplayer.

Corse in multiplayer propriamente funzionanti con caratteristiche come split per i settori, cronometraggio in tempo reale, modalità spettatore\di trasmissione, netcode stabile per gli utenti con un ping alto, modalità a griglia invertita, corse multiple, un numero molto maggiore di posti sulla griglia (quale corsa GT ha solo 24 auto?), miglioramenti ai pitstop ed altre ancora sono necessarie per un simulatore completo e sostenibile che non solo sarà redditizio per voi, ma massimizzerà anche il divertimento degli utenti e aumenterà sostanzialmente l'arco di vita del vostro titolo.

Guardandolo dalla prospettiva di “uomo e macchina contro il tracciato”, pochi altri simulatori sul mercato possono competere con quello che offre Assetto Corsa in termini di fisica, sonoro ed immersione su pista, creando quella che è probabilmente il miglior simulatore di hot-lapping e pratica mai creato e venduto al consumatore.
Tuttavia, guardandolo come un “simulatore di corse in multiplayer”, ci si rende conto che Assetto Corsa è piuttosto indietro rispetto ai suoi rivali.

Noi capiamo completamente che cose del genere richiedono tempo per essere sviluppate, e siamo più che volenterosi di essere pazienti ed aspettare dei miglioramenti al multiplayer, ma Assetto Corsa è ormai in fase di sviluppo da abbastanza tempo per garantire uno standard accettabile di funzionalità e stabilità nelle modalità online.
Visto l'enorme successo che Assetto Corsa ha avuto, crediamo che i limiti di budget forse non siano più un grande ostacolo per lo studio, particolarmente in termini di investimento sul netcode.

Sebbene la qualità dei contenuti (sia auto che tracciati) sia davvero incredibile, noi di RaceDepartment crediamo fortemente che voi, Kunos Simulazioni, dobbiate spostare la vostra attenzione dall'implementare nuovi contenuti al migliorare la funzionalità del gioco. Se questi problemi non saranno risolti a breve, allora correrete il rischio di vedere un declino rapido e significativo del bacino d'utenza di Assetto Corsa.
Come la più grande community di SimRacing nel mondo, noi crediamo sinceramente che i problemi di cui abbiamo scritto sopra riceveranno più attenzione in futuro, perché crediamo che Assetto Corsa abbia il potenziale per diventare IL simulatore di corse sul mercato.

In chiusura, vorremmo lasciarvi con un ultimo pensiero: mentre essere in grado di guidare repliche incredibilmente accurate di auto e tracciati leggendari è un'esperienza surreale e davvero eccitante, a cosa servono tutti questi contenuti eccezionali se le limitazioni della funzionalità ed usabilità del gioco ci impediscono di realizzare tutto il loro potenziale?

Speriamo che in un futuro non troppo lontano Assetto Corsa dimostrerà di essere l'incredibile simulatore di corse che noi, così come chiunque altro, sappiamo che può diventare.

Cordiali saluti,
RaceDepartment.

...I would like to see resources focused on 24-hour lighting and maybe driver swaps.

But you don't count.
At least not any more than any other user with their list of requests on Kunos own forums.

You need to be your own simracing website and then your issue becomes the most important one that Kunos' are failing the whole community unless they sort immediately.

The maturity level on these comments in absolutely tragic, I'd like to think we're a bit better than that?

I see it from both perspectives, as AC is the best sim out there (IMO) in terms of car and man combination, it is obviously no surprise that RD want to host league action on that sim for the foreseeable future. However, Kunos being a small team, naturally need to make money and produce new DLC content for us to buy, which we happily oblige to do, seeing as the game is fantastic.
However, the problem lies when Kunos initialised v1.0, as that was a statement in itself saying "Yes, the game is now ready to be sold to the masses", when in truth there are still some fundamental flaws with the game. If we were still sitting at v0.8, there would be no such reason for this sort of post, but as the game is now in full release, naturally there needs to be some sort of concern stated that RD as a body, need improvement in order to host leagues on that platform.
There is no need to bash RD for simply stating this, as I'm sure Kunos are aware a vast majority of their online audience exist over here - and surely this letter will act as further motivation to get it right, as they have the assurance that their hardwork will be rewarded with an esteemed website such as this pushing Assetto Corsa as their main game in online league racing, advertised to x000's of people who visit this website everyday.

So we all here want RD to prosper from good club and league racing, and at the same time we all want Assetto Corsa to be fine tuned to the perfect sim that we know it can be. Now please put the handbags away and deal with this with a little bit more maturity please?

RaceDepartment being as big and as important as it is for the simracing community: they won't change the fact that about 70% of AC owners did touch MP only once or even less because they prefer SP.

So it is absolutely understandable how Kunos are setting priorities.

And although I find this letter quiet nice I don't think it was any necessary as Kunos know that ACs MP needs improvements. It is just a matter of money and time. And this letter won't give Kunos any of these two.

But you don't count.
At least not any more than any other user with their list of requests on Kunos own forums.

You need to be your own simracing website and then your issue becomes the most important one that Kunos' are failing the whole community unless they sort immediately.

I'm amazed how someone can turn this thread to sound like that. Wow!

...they won't change the fact that about 70% of AC owners did touch MP only once or even less.....

Maybe 70% of AC owners only play single player because the MP portion is kinda "meh"? If it had a more robust MP section I'd guess a good portion of those 70% would play MP a lot more often. I know that applies to me, I was pretty much exclusively an online racer on consoles but now that I've moved to AC I've only done four or five online races in the last four months.

I would hope that the staff here at RD realize that Stefano has nothing to do with adding new cars or tracks. And basically asking them to ignore the 70% of their player base that never go online so that they can improve the part of the game that will financially benefit you is basically RD giving the middle finger to the majority of the people that paid their money for the game same as you.

So when something stop being developped, the people using it are automatically ignored? Do please enlight me. You said it yourslef, SP is properly working, shifting focus isn't ignoring the people using it since it's already done.

How could you "blame" RD for doing something like this?
I much rather have all the support we can have to be heard better regarding those small issues.
Sure there's money involve somewhere for RD but we are all winners if MP becomes better, not just RD.

Maybe 70% of AC owners only play single player because the MP portion is kinda "meh"? If it had a more robust MP section I'd guess a good portion of those 70% would play MP a lot more often. I know that applies to me, I was pretty much exclusively an online racer on consoles but not that I've moved to AC I've only done four or five online races in the last four months.
I agree! And I think this is another reason why there will be updates to MP in the future. Plus the fact that AI is pretty decent now (at least it doesn't need being worked on as much as MP). All I wanted to say is, Kunos does not need any reminder of things that need to be fixed. Already in the beginning of the letter the small size of the team is mentioned. And so a studio like Kunos has to be even more careful on how to set priorities. And the majority prefers driving offline so it is obvious that they sort out things here first.

So, adding things like better netcode, better collisions, option for rolling starts, option for the host to dictate which tire is used, option for the host to dictate how many pitstops are made, option for reverse grid, option to spectate other drivers on track, a better flag/penalty system, would require a pay-per-play model? :rolleyes: I doubt it, these all seem like fairly easy things to implement compared to modeling cars or laser-scanning tracks.

Dont think it is that easy when it is not done yet. If anyone knows how to do it send an email and they would probably pay for your "easy and presumible great" job.
I dont say they dont have to improve and perfectionate the game. Just saying that give them time, more money or work!
I mean...come on rfactor2 80$, iracing hundreds, AC 30 til 2 months ago...small team and small budget is a real deal.

They are improving, they give good support And I want to think they are working on all this things.

Nordscheilfe was a 2 years work, so they clearly got not the biggest development team out there.

But I understand your Point. And yes, mp needs a big improvement. No doubt.

"As a result, we've seen a distinct trend in our RaceDepartment club races where we have a vast influx of drivers soon after asignificant update, and then a significant drop off in participation within a period of a week or so, as the drivers quickly realise that the other competing racing sims still offer more features and enjoyment during multiplayer races."

I'm sorry but the significant drop off the participation is due pay to play deal.
Other then that i agree 100% with everything else.

Personally believe there's more to be done prior to most of what the Op asked for to make the online side of the game more user friendly . I avoid MP because the messing about it takes to find lobbies in it's current state . Without filters to only show content we have installed or maybe selecting a car/track combo we'd like to race it's needle in a haystack stuff trying to find anything . Launching lobbies should be happening in-game in a similar way we launch single player races too . Only problems i've ever had online is from players with high pings etc but that's the case in a lot of games & not exclusive to AC .

Rant coming......

I find it incredible that any critisism has been levelled at the RD open letter to Kunos. I mean, at what point in their brain malfunction (otherwise known as thinking) did they see that as a chance to have a go a RaceDepartment?

As for the silly comments about RD now making a profit and making members pay to use the RD servers and have clean club and league races, well that just beggars belief. Some of these sad people are bemoaning the fact that they have been asked to pay 0.05479 of a Euro per day to have such great online racing opportunity and other membership benefits. Incredible. Are these people the tightest in the world? What can you buy for 0.054 Euro's? You certainly can't buy any other form of Race Sim entertainment for that paltry amount.

Pathetic really and to be honest, any one moaning at this fact is sadder than a sad thing from the planet Glum.

RD are actively attempting to get a Race sim to be even better and they get attacked for doing so by what I can only say are probably the ones from that other part of the internet, the LowNet. You have heard of the darknet, well the lownet is where saddo's come from. Saddo's with nothing else better to do.

Edit: Only get upset and add dislikes if this applies to you. ;)

End of rant.....

Last edited:
Dont think it is that easy when it is not done yet. If anyone knows how to do it send an email and they would probably pay for your "easy and presumible great" job.
I dont say they dont have to improve and perfectionate the game. Just saying that give them time, more money or work!
I mean...come on rfactor2 80$, iracing hundreds, AC 30 til 2 months ago...small team and small budget is a real deal.

They are improving, they give good support And I want to think they are working on all this things.

Nordscheilfe was a 2 years work, so they clearly got not the biggest development team out there.

But I understand your Point. And yes, mp needs a big improvement. No doubt.

I agree with all of that, and I think everyone here does too, we just hope that they are now going to focus some of that effort on polishing the game up and adding some of the basic features we're all hoping for and that will greatly extend the playability of this sim. We realize it's a small team and what they've achieved is quite impressive, but now that we have a good foundation and a good amount of content, we just hope they will now turn some of their efforts towards putting some decadent icing on this delicious cake they've made. That's not a complaint, that's not a threat, it's just constructive criticism from an eager and devoted fanbase.

A sim racing title without multiplayer at 2015 does not exist for me. I think that is more important than Single player. We all playing sim racing games for a great battle with another real driver and not an AI.
Finally i think that their behaviour insult me so i uninstall it. There is many other games that is very good and maybe better than Single player asseto corsa liike rfactor2, iracing, raceroom (really great), project cars (at build 957 and its already full factional). Maybe he must give us a chance to take back our money.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I follow the work of Kunos from the NK namie, and always waited with anxiety the implementation of multiplayer in NK Namie. Unfortunately, the multiplayer was never good at NK series. Today with the mehorias made'm happy with the AC current, but accept that the AC already has a large number of cars, although few original tracks, but that the development of AC should now focus on improvements cited in multiplayer. The Kunos never had the multiplayer priority but now with such a good product in the hands, which arouses passion and hate at the same time, we must listen a little more community who enjoy online races and organizing leagues. I believe they sustain longer the DLC that can be launched in the future. The AC has almost everything to be the best of all time, little miss, and this bit are the improvements in multiplayer.
Developers AC understand our appeals as something positive and people who are passionate about AC. Our reviews are always wishing the best of the best for the AC and its success. Long live the AC.
I apologize for using the web translator to express my opnion.

You do realize that Kunos is a 'for profit' company, right? The goal when they spend money signing a license and building a car (or track) is to eventually make a profit off of that investment. As long as the company makes a profit Stefano can keep coding improvements to the core game.

This "for profit" argument is only partly valid, because everyone knows that making a PC racing sim is not the way to maximize profit in year 2015. If Kunos really wanted to make profit they would have made the game more arcade and target the console market. Right, a majority of AC owners don't care about multiplayer, but at the same time we can say, majority of players don't understand car physics and handling very well. Is that reason not to target realistic physics? No, and same goes for multiplayer.

So, adding things like better netcode, better collisions, option for rolling starts, option for the host to dictate which tire is used, option for the host to dictate how many pitstops are made, option for reverse grid, option to spectate other drivers on track, a better flag/penalty system, would require a pay-per-play model? :rolleyes: I doubt it, these all seem like fairly easy things to implement compared to modeling cars or laser-scanning tracks.

This is where my problem lies on the subject. People assuming that because something sounds easy to implement it must be without having any real knowledge of what it takes to actually implement these features.

I'm not saying AC couldn't be improved, but some people (not necessarily you specifically) have ridiculous expectations of a game. Especially when you start to consider the size of the team working on it compared to other sim-racing titles. For instance, telling them to hire someone who could fix the net-coding of multiplayer. Do you even know how software development works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%