Odyssey VR vs Oculus Rift

Ive got a Rift right now and I sometimes switch back to monitor because the screen-door effect and low res in general is not nice. Is the Samsung HMD Odyssey a big step up? I'm reading 1.78x higher res, so that should be good.

How is the Odyssey with playing in DiRT Rally, AC, R3E, etc? Just as easy to setup?

edit: going from
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7cvhwc/ordered_a_samsung_odyssey_to_compare_with_the/
and
https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...s-rift-after-extended-time-w-each-impressions

it seems the higher res is not that noticable :/

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

You are probably not up to date with your information.
What SteamVR? The only new PC consumer headset from Vive is Cosmos, and it is inside out tracking. I am not sure who they target with Vive Pro Eye that has same spec as Pro except eye tracking, must be just proof of concept before it goes mainstream.
Even SteamVR itself is going away.

Upvote 0
You still don't seem to be listening to what I've been saying and you are confusing HTC with the SteamVR standard.

Vive's hand controllers have never been the best out there and their headset has always been bulky and heavy compared to the Rift. I've always liked the SteamVR standard and its tracking but have not been a fan of the Vive. My opinion is that HTC hasn't had a competitive enough product in the Vive even though they used a solid system SteamVR.

Steam has been developing their own headset and the Knuckles controllers which are currently the most advanced looking controllers nearing production. The Pimax and StarVR are also a SteamVR products.

The pattern here is that the Steam Knuckles controllers are high end devices with more content and ability than any other hand controllers on the market. The StarVR headset is by far the highest end headset with best optics, best FOV and eye tracking even if the company is having financial issues.

The point I have made repeatedly is that SteamVR will be the high end with the best capabilities not the mass market leader.

The BIG question is whether the current VR market has room for a high end product to be profitable. What we saw was that when the Rift dropped in price, it hit a sweet spot in pricing and sales took off. I would still argue it is the best "all around" product all things considered including price.

To be clear I am NOT saying that SteamVR will own the market. They won't, but there will be more innovation and cool products being released in that space.

What we saw with the Kickstarter Pimax was that there was some pent up demand for a higher end product even if they are having failures and production issues. What we saw with StarVR was a company pushing the limits of current tech. What we see with the Knuckles development is that Steam is trying to develop a best of breed hand controller.

This is a long game and it's hard to say who the winners and losers will be. I think Oculus will do well because they are aiming squarely at the main stream and abandoned their higher end product development. I think we will see cool new things is the SteamVR space. Past that, I have no clue how this will all play out.

Take a peek at the SteamVR knuckles controllers. The controller senses each of your fingers independently, and has pressure sensors so it knows how hard you are squeezing. It doesn't require you to grip it in any way and still has a typical trigger, buttons etc..

This is Steam's 3rd iteration on the knuckles controller and it is well beyond anything else coming out by any other VR system company. I guarantee it will not be cheap, but it will be best of breed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SteamVR 2.0 is a standard that employs Base stations for tracking. FYI, these stations can cover an approximately 1000 square foot area with the idea of support for wireless headsets. it also means that you can tuck the base stations away in the corners of a good sized room and not worry about where your computer is in that space. They are passive emitters so they just need power not USB cables. It also means that a number of different Steam VR systems can run inside that area sharing those sensors.

The Pimax supports SteamVR 2.0 and requires Steam Base stations.

StarVR backed by Acer is over. Acer delisted them when their profits dropped by 90% year over year. The question now is what happens to their IP because they really did have some great stuff, but it was currently overpriced for the market. I don't particularly care about StarVR. I care about what happens to their work.

Upvote 0
Steam(Valve) has been taking the Knuckles development very seriously with a number of initial prototype versions EV, EV2, EV3 and finally they are releasing them for development with their DV release which tells me they are coming soon.

This is SOOO much better than anything out by anyone else.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-knuckles-dv-dev-kit-promotion/

Also Valve has a headset coming out. They have been pretty secretive about this work, but this would also be a good reason for HTC to break with them. Valve will become a direct competitor of HTC and it would be able to bundle it's base stations, Knuckles controllers and new HMD together likely at a serious price advantage over what HTC could do.

https://uploadvr.com/valve-135-vr-headset-half-life/

As far as Samsung goes. I own Samsung TV's, Washer, Drier, Refrigerator, Tablet, Galaxy phone. They are a huge company with vast resources. I'm not counting them out. The fact that the are building a system is a big deal because unlike Oculus and Steam which make money on the software being sold, Samsung currently has no means of monetizing software after the sale of a headset. This means they have to be able to produce the hardware alone and make it profitable. That by itself is a big step.

It appears that Oculus and Valve are both looking at increasing the FOV rather than the pixel density. Which makes a lot of sense. It takes a substantial increase in resolution to have a large impact as I've found out over the years in photography. Because you are dealing with coverage over an area any increase in MP is effectively cut in half in terms of what is noticeable. So doubling resolution only looks 50% better. Likewise a 50% increase only looks like 25%. However if you take 50% more resolution and increase your FOV by 50%. That is a huge improvement.

Sadly graphics cards are not keeping up right now such that anything above 5Mp can't be rendered well without foveated rendering, otherwise you have to reduce your frame rate unacceptably.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pretty sure Pimax works without base stations, just not to full functionality. Meaning seated experiences are acceptable yet not ideal, while standing experiences and room scale applications won't work without them.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure Pimax works without base stations, just not to full functionality. Meaning seated experiences are acceptable yet not ideal, while standing experiences and room scale applications won't work without them.

They require a minimum of the version 1 SteamVR base stations, but also support the version 2 base stations that allow up to 1000 sq foot play area.

Why don't you google it and find out for yourself. The Pimax HMD's all are part of the SteamVR ecosystem. There are all kinds of really cool 3rd party hardware devices that only work in SteamVR.

Upvote 0
Did you order the base stations from Pimax and order a 5K+ ? Everything I've seen says the 5K+ looks better than their 8K and the 8K has to run at reduced frame rates.

I just read below. It appears that some people are having issues without base stations. Maybe you will be lucky and this isn't that norm.

"I just installed my new 5K+ - and I can’t use it since I don’t have any base station, and that internal 3dof-tracking is much much much much much worse than the 4K’s one. With the 4K, I was able to play well - not perfect perhaps, but good enough.
With the 5k+ now, I just can put it aside until Pimax finally manages to deliver the base stations I ordered, as well."

What's interesting is that a lot of this is supposed to be because of the inexpensive accelerometers being used. I know from RC Helis that even the expensive chips used in FBL control units can eventually drift over a 5-10 minute flight and be off a chunk. Fortunately they are mainly used for rescue systems that try to shoot the heli away from the ground if you get into trouble. I can't imagine playing a game for half an hour or an hour and expecting one to keep a good sense of the horizon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I switched to 5K+ and I ordered 1 base station in the pledge. There is some mucking around with it apparently to get it set up initially. It's insanity it's going to take so long to get base stations when the headset has already taken over a year since Kickstarted ended.

It's ridiculous to need a base station for initial setup only to not have to use it if you don't intend on buying one. There must be a way to setup without one. What's the point of them sending 6000+ people headsets only to not be able to use them if they are not in the Vive ecosystem?

Also, I wouldn't take one persons post as gospel as to the capabilities of the 3DOF. Descriptions such as 'much much worse', 'not perfect' and 'good enough' are about as subjective as anything you could think of. I am not saying at all that it's going to be great for me until the rest of the pledge makes it out to me, I will have to wait and see. I cannot justify 200+ AUD for a base station, however, if I were to go the eBay or even Vive store route.

It's a stupid situation but it is what it is.

Upvote 0
I've been watching the Pimax 5K+ closely since it seems to be at the limit in resolution and FOV that current top end graphics cards can support. They seem to be right in the sweet spot of what is possible right now with a price that people can afford.

If the Knuckles hand controllers were available, that might be a good combination. It looks like Pimax is trying to copy the Knuckles design, but I wonder about their ability to execute.

StarVR claimed to be working with NVidia to allow a full 2080Ti to be dedicated to each eye piece, but there is no telling how far along that was. Of course at that point you would be in very deep $$$$.

It's likely that it will be 2020 before we have hardware with foveated rendering and NVidia has their 7nm processes up and running.

Upvote 0
I just heard that StarVR is not dead, but the details of where things are going hasn't been made public yet.

HP announced an inside out tracking headset with high resolution display, but it only has two tracking cameras so once again the hand tracking will be iffy.

Oculus is using 4 tracking cameras including rear facing so your hands are tracked much further back. Not sure how they do with a bow game, but it should be an improvement over the current WMR headsets.

Upvote 0
HP's HMD
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-copper-windows-vr-headset-exclusive/
" 2,160 × 2,160 (per eye) displays, which have more than twice the number of pixels as the Odyssey+, and more than three and a half times as many pixels as first-gen headsets like the Rift. Looking through Copper’s lenses, sharpness is a drastic step forward over Odyssey+. And while the Odyssey+ uses a diffuser on the screen (which sacrifices some sharpness in an effort to hide the screen door effect), Copper hardly has a need for a diffuser as the pixel dense RGB-stripe displays make the screen door effect vanishingly apparent."

The StarVR info has nothing further. It was mentioned in a YouTube video as all that could be said and that everything else was under NDA, so nothing else to see until they go public with what they are doing.

The Oculus news is old dating back to when Santa Cruz was still under development. It was mentioned many times that they added a second pair of cameras to the headset. Probably was not worth mentioning.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I wonder how much you power will be required to run that HP Copper?
It looks like a nice option.
To run at native resolution, guess about the same as Odyssey with SS 200%, which is standard.
RGB matrix sounds interesting, does that mean it's not OLED, they are all pentile.

Too many announcements, too few real headsets. :(

Upvote 0
Speaking of Odyssey+, it's on a big sale at the moment, you can get yours for $299
https://uploadvr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-299-sale/
I just picked up my odyssey + from B&h and Im loving this thing. I had a lenovo explorer before and this is a huge upgrade in my opinion. The explorer is not bad by any means. Its definitely more comfortable but the screen on the Samsung is worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back