Not impressed with the AC graphics. Am I missing something?

Hi there,

I remember having seen the post "Share Your Screenshots" in the past and I was so impressed! It all looks so real.

However, now having installed Assetto Corsa (including the Content Manager, the Custom Shaders Patch and Lights Patch Preview by Ilja) I am not at all impressed when driving the game. I don't have the same lovely graphics that I see on all these screenshots and in some videos.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there maybe something I forgot to activate in the settings that makes all this wonderful graphics come to life? Or will the nice graphics only appear on a very limited number of circuits?

Many thanks.

There are a lot of people modifying AC in all different directions and the basic "install CSP" will not do any of that. It's not just settings, most people posting screenshots are carefully selecting time of day, circuit, and tweaking their post-process filter to get a good result.

Did you also install "Pure" for the weather + pp filter?

Plus, there are a lot of settings in csp and some like the shiny reflections aren't default iirc.
Not on the PC until the weekend, so I can't post my settings.

But this is my AC without photomode or editing:
IMG-20240112-WA0038.jpg
IMG-20240112-WA0036.jpg
IMG-20240113-WA0033.jpg

Nordschleife with winter mod skin, BACC cam script, csp motion blur and rain from the Patreon csp version.

There are a lot of people modifying AC in all different directions and the basic "install CSP" will not do any of that. It's not just settings, most people posting screenshots are carefully selecting time of day, circuit, and tweaking their post-process filter to get a good result.
Ah, I see. So this is not what you necessarily see when actively driving. That's good to know. Thanks.

Seems Grand Turismo 7 is providing a more realistic experience in driving mode then, at least in terms of graphics...

Did you also install "Pure" for the weather + pp filter?

Plus, there are a lot of settings in csp and some like the shiny reflections aren't default iirc.
Not on the PC until the weekend, so I can't post my settings.

But this is my AC without photomode or editing:
View attachment 735716View attachment 735717View attachment 735718

Nordschleife with winter mod skin, BACC cam script, csp motion blur and rain from the Patreon csp version.
Many thanks Rasmus.

Pure is the successor to SOL, right? Also created by Peter Boese? My understanding was that it is still a development version. Is there a big difference when compared to SOL? I'm running SOL 2.2.9

I've activated "Add mirage-like reflections" in Wheather FX now. I assume that is what you were referring to?

Where do I find the PP Filter to download? Been searching a bit, but not getting any wiser unfortunately.

Many thanks Rasmus.

Pure is the successor to SOL, right? Also created by Peter Boese? My understanding was that it is still a development version. Is there a big difference when compared to SOL? I'm running SOL 2.2.9

I've activated "Add mirage-like reflections" in Wheather FX now. I assume that is what you were referring to?

Where do I find the PP Filter to download? Been searching a bit, but not getting any wiser unfortunately.
With mods you will always be dealing with development versions. Pure is better than SOL. It looks better and works better. It includes its own PP filters, so you don't need anything else.

Sol was also constantly developed. Pure works well for me :)
Nope, sorry. Mirage like reflections is some effect for strobing reflections afaik.
I think the setting I meant is called "SSLR" = Screen Space Lighting Reflections in the extra FX extension.
But I'll look it up on Friday :)
As elaphe said, it's included by Pure.
Pure has a one-click-installer, which also uninstalls SOL, so very easy.

Sol was also constantly developed. Pure works well for me :)

Nope, sorry. Mirage like reflections is some effect for strobing reflections afaik.
I think the setting I meant is called "SSLR" = Screen Space Lighting Reflections in the extra FX extension.
But I'll look it up on Friday :)

As elaphe said, it's included by Pure.
Pure has a one-click-installer, which also uninstalls SOL, so very easy.
Much appreciated. Thanks!

Regarding the graphics of AC, I prefer them over those of ACC, LMU, AMS2, RF2 or R3E.
But you need either SOL or PURE, with a PPFilter of your choice, along with CSP and CM (and explore its settings), to bring the best out of it. You seem already aware of that.

I think it all depends on preferences, on what you're looking for.

Some value dramatic and flashy graphics on certain times of day with the right postcard-like sky, for photomode screenshots or birds-eye view gameplay. Which can be an art in itself, I guess. That can involve too much overdone make-up which, unfortunately, you find in too many PPFilters.

For me, pretty and great looking graphics on a racing simulation is "real life like".
And, again for me, SOL still achieves that better (with a custom PPFilter) and always get back to it after trying yet another new version of PURE, with whatever PPFilter.
I can't make that one look as good as what I already have with SOL, which is still, for me, way more consistent with most tracks, time and weather conditions, more atmospheric and especially more natural looking (IMHO).
I also find its config and planner a little more intuitive to use.

The achilles' heel of SOL is, yes, its development has stopped (to favor PURE's).
And, yes, you really need the right PPFilter for it according to your preferences (f.ex, check Horizons, or Natural, or C13Aegis, among so many others that you may like).
Select the desired PPFilter in-game and adjust its "exposure" to your preference - there's an in-game app for that. Once you feel it's right, you're set.
You can also modify PPFilters, to atempt improvements on your own as well (I did).
Then maybe you find why SOL is still prefered over PURE in some groups (though perhaps not here in RD).

Attached are unedited screenshots (which I suspect will be awfully compressed by the algorythm) from a race on KS Spa Francorchamps, set at 11:35 AM time and (at that moment) Scattered Clouds weather, using the RSS GT-M + URD GT3 add-on cars for AC (absolute must if you're into GT3), with SOL 2.2.9 and latest CSP.
Of course, also using latest CM for AC.

EDIT: added links

Attachments

• screen7867565.jpg
    screen7867565.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 44
  • screen7867567.jpg
    screen7867567.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 48
  • screen7867568.jpg
    screen7867568.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 47
  • screen7867569.jpg
    screen7867569.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 48
  • screen7867570.jpg
    screen7867570.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 46
  • screen7867572.jpg
    screen7867572.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 41
  • screen7867575.jpg
    screen7867575.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 42
  • screen7867580.jpg
    screen7867580.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 38
  • screen7867582.jpg
    screen7867582.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I think it depends on preferences, on what you're looking for.

Some value dramatic and flashy graphics on certain times of day with the right postcard-like sky, for screenshots or birds-eye view gameplay. Which can be an art in itself, I guess. That can involve too much overdone make-up which, unfortunately, you find in too many PPFilters.

For me, pretty and good looking graphics on a racing simulation is "real life like".

Again for me, SOL still achieves that notoriously better than PURE.
I always get back to SOL after testing (yet again) another new version of PURE (supposedly its substitute, right?), with whatever PPFilter among the gazillion you find for it. I can't make it look as good as what I already have with SOL. Believe me, I try.

SOL is still, for me, way more consistent with most tracks, time and weather conditions, more atmospheric and especially far more natural looking (IMHO).
I also find its config and planner a little more intuitive to use.

The achilles' heel of SOL is, yes, its development has stopped (to favor PURE's).
And, yes, you need the right PPFilter for it according to your preferences (f.ex, check Horizons, or Natural, among so many others).
You can also modify these, to atempt improvements on your own as well (I did).
Once you feel it's right, you're set. And then you may find why SOL is still prefered over PURE in some groups (though perhaps not here in RD).

Attached are unedited screenshots from a recent race on KS Spa Francorchamps, set at 11:35 AM time and (at that moment) Scattered Clouds weather, using RSS GTM + URD GT3 add-on cars for AC (absolute must if you're into GT3) with SOL 2.2.9 and latest CSP.
Mate, that is super interesting and so helpful - many thanks for this! :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.