rF2 [Night Race] Touring Masters @ Montreal 1988 - Wednesday 16th February 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
You guys actually practicing night racing for this ? Coz the times I've seen posted here, are way off what I'm pulling off. So far 1:55.0- is my best lap and I think I'm pretty close to the maximum of my M3. Had no troubles breaking under 1:50.- in bright and shiny conditions. Night time thou - totally different animal.
Keeping your tires warm in the middle of the night is hella difficult for me. I often times find myself doing "power-over"s in the slow turns to keep my tires up to temperature. And the weight transfer of these cars under braking, combined with the poor tires temperature, makes for a nasty challenge. I think qualifications are going to be done with full tanks and just running around on the same set of tires, until you get some temperature up in them.
I love that sort of a puzzle race ! Mad props to whoever comes up with those great ideas ! Seriously, I'm loving every minute of RD Club Races so far and I'm pretty sure I'll keep feeling that way.
Cheers !

You sure you have good settings? check your FPS using CTRL+F when you are driving. anything under 80 FPS will start to feel very very wrong. ideally you want 120 FPS+ to feel comfortable enough to push. i just did a 49.8 in about 4 laps so it can't be that hard.

LOL man I can't get that in any game I have! Tbh I'm happy if something runs at 60 FPS or so!

I ... I made a complete fool of myself yesterday. Turned out I've spent 4 hours of practicing without my Logitech drivers on, so my controls were oversensitive (50% brake pedal being pressed down meant 100% in-game) and I was braking a lot early and a lot gentler then needed. Still thou, I run it on lowest possible details, but my PC ain't that strong (AMD Sempron 2,7GHz, ATI HD 2600 Pro, 2 GB DDR2 RAM) and FPS could be an issue. I'm used to driving with around 20-30 FPS since my days back in NFS Underground, when I had even crappier PC, so it's not that much of a deal. Yeah, I'm missing few apexes because of this, but nothing major.
Car seems stable enough, so my setup should be fine. I know it's a compromise thing, but I'd rather finish a race then loosing control under braking or accelerating. Passed my setup last time around to few other people (# F1 '92 @ Adelaide '88) and everyone told me I had awkward driving habits :D But it suits me somehow. Might give a try in someone's shoes for this race and try to learn it the proper way. It's just me I guess. I can blame only the device in front of the steering wheel for my slow times ;)

You sure you have good settings? check your FPS using CTRL+F when you are driving. anything under 80 FPS will start to feel very very wrong. ideally you want 120 FPS+ to feel comfortable enough to push. i just did a 49.8 in about 4 laps so it can't be that hard.

Rubbish, you don't need that much. Everybody would be running low settings to acheive that. I average about 90 FPS on rF, and I don't have any problems with that whatsoever :p

I haven't done any testing yet, so I don't know what lap times should be. On the setup thing, don't listen to Ben :p His setups are awful to drive, I don't know how he does it XD

That M3 is an odd car. I like it. I like it a lot. I like that it's light and lively. I like the good brakes, but something it just kills me. Nowhere any good at top speed compared to the rest of the cars and because of the good brakes, the car tricks me in thinking I'm safe braking late and then bites my head off by locking up the front or missing the apex completely. I tried moving the brake balance backwards, but then the rear started kicking out under braking, which IMO is worst then front wheels locking up. And because it's light, I have issues with it, controlling the weight distribution under braking and cornering. I sometimes go thru an S-turn flawlessly and sometimes I just fly one side to the other in it. It is drivable, once you've found your balance with it, and I really do like it, but I can't get under 1:52.- with it.
Maybe I should try the Sierra or Rover ? Tried the M6 and I hated it. Weak brakes, only 5 gears, slow in corners, no real downforce ... and the list goes on and on. Tried the Holden and I got no opinion about it. It's just fast and heavy. Good and bad. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either.
Anyways, about the FPS issue, turned out I do run at 110-120 when I'm alone in the dark @ Montreal '88. Gonna give it a try with full grid and see how it works, but anything over 20 FPS for me is drivable :p

M3 must suit you. I dont like it either but alot of people really like it. :)
I dont like it because to find the max of the car you need to drive on the limit with it. Some people like to do that, i dont. :)

Well, I did some more testing ... The Alfa and the Rover are surely not made for me. Haven't tested the Merc and the Volvo yet, but I think the Sierra is just about right. Too tired to fool around with its setup right now thou. But even with slight adjustments, I managed to beat my M3 time with room to spare and few errors.
BTW, Merc's textures seems to be ... bugged ? I got all blue cars with no decals or anything.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back