Next Level Motion V3 settings thread (highly requested...?)

OK Next Level motion users, here it is: my tuned settings that I feel give the best feeling of what a car should represent while racing. Taken a while to get this up and running, with barely free time to actually sim race as it is. Hopefully you will get some value out of this and it further increases your enjoyment of an already pretty good product out of the box.

I have listed a few different profiles, use the Assetto Corsa one for all the big sim racing titles (of course utilizing the Formula & non Formula profiles for open wheel vs GT style cars) and use the Dirt Rally template for that title as well as any other rally title that takes advantage of motion. Don't forget to change both the 'motion' AND 'motion post processing' tabs for full effects.

Obviously these are my personal preferences and they may not suit everyone, but give them a try and have a play with them yourself to alter it as you see fit. Post any feelings/comments you have back here and maybe together we can further tune these settings for even better results.

Dirt Rally post process.png Dirt Rally settings.png Formula post process.png Formula settings.png NON formula post process.png NON formula settings.png

After visiting the ring recently with 3 laps driving and 2 laps as a passenger, I used that a reference point to tune the platform further. The setup balances out the different effects so you don't have one effect overwhelming the others. This works from street cars upto GT3/GTE cars for me. Everything for post processing is at default. Here's where I'm at now:

upload_2018-9-1_9-7-53.png

Upvote 0
I get the feeling that those settings are to compensate for the large throw of the platform at stock post process settings. The intensity sliders tend to reduce the throw as you reduce them but they also reduce the overall feedback and feeling of the platform. I might give them a try and compare to how they feel vs what I have done which is basically leave everything at 1.00 for the most part and tune the intensity and throw via post process. I did not like having to reduce the motion sliders to achieve the amount of throw that felt realistic to me. Will give a try when I get a chance.

Upvote 0
I'll put it in here: New 2.79 SW auto download.

I just did some quick try outs (AC, PCars2 and ForzaMotorsport7). Works perfect as ever. Only had to enable 'loopback' for FM7 via Help&Support button in NLR software management platform.

Now discover if it adds new features, sliders etc? Read the manual Brian ;)

Upvote 0
1. I really, badly want an option where we can toggle off/on whether the NLM v3 simulates g-forces or body movement, or, if we can even individually choose.
Example
Maybe I want the seats' pitch to be based off g-forces but the sway to be based off chassis (eg. body roll during turns) or something.

We would also need an in-game g-forces amount we can set for each.
Example
Let's say I wanted both sway and pitch to be controlled purely by g-forces. I could set pitch to 6.0 gs so that it would take 6.0 longitudinal gs of the in-game car for the NLM unit to pitch to it's maximum amount of whatever I've set pitch to (0.85, 1.10, whatever). While at the same time, maybe I want sway to be 3.5 or 4.0 gs so that it would take 3.5 or 4.0 lateral gs of the in-game car for the NLM unit to sway to it's maximum (whatever I've set it to, 0.60, 1.05, whatever).

Of course from 0 to max movement & g's will be scaled linearly (ie. 1:1)

If NLR want to get more fancy, they could also introduce a linearity slider for the seat movement VS in-game car g's if people don't want it at the default 1:1. (this would also be able to be set individually for pitch and roll).

2. I could be wrong but the NLM's seat movement currently doesn't seem to scale properly from one car to another and from one game to another. If, under braking, my in-game car's front-end pitches down 3 inches at x speed and x acceleration, and if another car in a different game's front-end pitches down the exact same distance (3 inches), speed and acceleration, the NLM v3 should react to that identically in both games.

It seems each game doesn't match other games in terms of how the NLM v3 reacts (chassis movements, g-forces, whatever) and therefore each game requires different NLM v3 settings.
Example
Assuming the NLM v3 settings are identical between each game, hard braking in an F3 car in Automobilista, Assetto Corsa, and iRacing should all give an almost identical NLM throw-distance, top speed, and acceleration but I feel that's not always the case...Am I wrong about this?

3. Is it just me or is the NLM v3 not capable of pitching and swaying at the same time? If accelerating and turning, there should be pitch and roll at the same time but it seems like the unit isn't capable of that which seems extremely odd. It's like it can only do one at a time.
Example
It currently seems like the unit will pitch and then when the pitching is done at whatever position, then the sway will abruptly kick in (or vice-versa). It reminds me of when people mimick a robot from the 1960s that can only move one body part or in one direction at a time or when people to the "robot dance."
Can others please confirm if this is true or not? I hope I'm wrong...

4. We should be able to define the following:
- max movement/angle
- max top speed
- max acceleration
...for each setting or at the very least individually for overall pitch and overall sway.
Example
I may want the unit to be able to move to it's furthest distance/angle as well as be able to hit it's top speed so it's more dramatic for when kids come over and play with it (especially on No Limits 2 rollercoaster game) but at the same time I'd like to lower the max acceleration so as to get less of a snappy feel since the kids are 3 and 7 years old and I don't like to see their head/neck snapping during some moments of the games.

I know the post-processing settings can kind of do this but they're not clearly defined in exactly what part of the unit's output is being changed / not changed.

5. I have a single Buttkicker Gamer 2 but it's too weak especially while there's movement from the NLM. I think the perfect solution for those only wanting 1 Buttkicker and using the NLM mount will be to get a Buttkicker Advance. Why?
- It's more powerful than the Gamer
- it comes with a clamp just like the Gamer therefore perfect for the NLM clamp-mount
- it's about 5 lbs, maybe 5.5, so it should be ok for mounting (the NLM says max 5 lbs)
- compared to the large Buttkicker, the Advance is less expensive, smaller, lighter, and comes with a mount, not to mention the larger one shouldn't even be clamped to the NLM if you were able to due to it's weight

I think the Buttkicker Advance will be a perfect companion to the NLM v3. I will be ordering one soon and report back here :)

P.S. If I'm wrong about point #s 2 & 3, I'll delete them so as not to spread false information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Need some help from you guys.
In VR head position, what is ‘Left-right (mm)’ mean?
I understand Height and ‘Rear-backward (mm)
So height is from centre of my head to the pivot of the platform and Rear front is the centre of my head to the pivot.
Bit confused?

Upvote 0
Anyone with F1 2018 get the motion platform to work? I've enabled the UDP settings in the Telemetry section, but still nothing.

I am new to the sim world. Appreciate this forum as it has helped me a lot.
Regarding F1 2018. Maybe this is late and you already know but I downloaded the most recent software and have a number of games that I am trying to tune to work with NLMv3 ..... F1 2018 was one of the few that worked immediately. Maybe you just need to download the most recent software ? Just a suggestion. Thanks to everyone here for the information on settings, etc. Looking forward to trying them out as I get used to all the customization required to play these games !!!

Upvote 0
Hopefully you guys can help me .... I have my NLMv3 working for all my other games - AC, ACC, rF2, DiRT Rally, and ProjectCars2. I am currently having problems with F1 2018.
I originally had everything installed on an old computer and everything worked fine. It crashed so I went out and purchased a new computer and I am in the process of re-installing everything.
F1 2018 worked fine on the old computer .... but for some reason acts completely erratic with the new install.
When I start to do a practice run, the platform is "jittery" while you are in the pit - it didn't do that before. When you start your hot lap in the practice session, on some corners it seems fine, the next one I get no movement. I have changed the settings that are recommended for F1 2018 in the platform software, tried different USB ports (3.0 and 2.0) but have the same result. Really enjoyed F1 2018 on the old computer but movement is not consistent at all with the new computer ..... and have no idea why ??? Any insight is appreciated !!!! Thanks in advance, Bruce

Upvote 0
Hopefully you guys can help me .... I have my NLMv3 working for all my other games - AC, ACC, rF2, DiRT Rally, and ProjectCars2. I am currently having problems with F1 2018.
I originally had everything installed on an old computer and everything worked fine. It crashed so I went out and purchased a new computer and I am in the process of re-installing everything.
F1 2018 worked fine on the old computer .... but for some reason acts completely erratic with the new install.
When I start to do a practice run, the platform is "jittery" while you are in the pit - it didn't do that before. When you start your hot lap in the practice session, on some corners it seems fine, the next one I get no movement. I have changed the settings that are recommended for F1 2018 in the platform software, tried different USB ports (3.0 and 2.0) but have the same result. Really enjoyed F1 2018 on the old computer but movement is not consistent at all with the new computer ..... and have no idea why ??? Any insight is appreciated !!!! Thanks in advance, Bruce

I should add I am using v2.82 of the platform software.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the platform software and F1 2018, and still have the same erratic movement in the game.
All other games seem to be working fine.

Thanks again, Bruce

Upvote 0
Make sure the profile has not assigned negative values in the post process tab. Some profiles come with that and it causes unexpected movement compared to what you've been used to. It won't answer the erratic movement or jitter but if you're expecting to be thrown left and you go right, that's most likely the cause.

It's very strange that you get the platform recognised and have movement in game but it's not correct. I've never experienced that.

Upvote 0
I should add I am using v2.82 of the platform software.
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the platform software and F1 2018, and still have the same erratic movement in the game.
All other games seem to be working fine.

Thanks again, Bruce

Hi Bruce, When the game first came out you had to use 'Legacy UDP' settings from within the game. If you used the (in game) 2018 setting you got symptoms like you describe. If you use Platform manager to set it up for you - it will change in game setting to 2018. (which you dont want) Basically dont use Platform manager to configure it.

I would have thought the numerous F1 patches would have addressed this, but it doesn't sound like it.

In a nutshell: Dont let PM configure the game for you. Go to UDP settings in game and change to legacy settings.

There was also another way of doing this iirc. Something along the lines of using PM 2017 settings but point it to launch 2018. Might be worth a Google.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Bruce, When the game first came out you had to use 'Legacy UDP' settings from within the game. If you used the (in game) 2018 setting you got symptoms like you describe. If you use Platform manager to set it up for you - it will change in game setting to 2018. (which you dont want) Basically dont use Platform manager to configure it.

I would have thought the numerous F1 patches would have addressed this, but it doesn't sound like it.

In a nutshell: Dont let PM configure the game for you. Go to UDP settings in game and change to legacy settings.

There was also another way of doing this iirc. Something along the lines of using PM 2017 settings but point it to launch 2018. Might be worth a Google.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

Appreciate the help Tiger Feet ..... unfortunately, I am not 100% sure how to change what you are referring to ? Any chance you can send me a link or something with more detail and step by step instructions ? Thanks in advance, Bruce

Upvote 0
I think there are a few additional data points needed with any configurations.

1. VR or non-VR use
2. Rigid shell seat or sprung seat.
3. Distance from Universal joint to where your butt bottoms out.

From what I've read the NLRv3 is much more immersive in VR than without VR and it doesn't require as much input to "suck you in". So you may not want quite as much input.

I would assume that the type of seat you have has a large impact on how the settings affect you. For example it at one extreme you have a CF shell and 5 point seatbelt cinched down, you will probably feel the effects a lot more than if you are sitting unsecured on a sprung car seat.

In addition the distance between the universal joint and your seat bottom would seem to be very strongly linked to your settings and how it feels in general rotating around a pivot point vs waving around above the pivot point.

I would assume that the VR compensation works much better if you are tracking with the seat vs bouncing around on top of it. I'm curious if the people who are not happy with the VR compensation are on hard shells or sprung seats.

Hopefully I'll have something to add to this thread in the near future. I hope to have my rig fully assembled by this weekend.

Unfortunately it is probably more complex than that. Your weight and height probably affect things as well and I'm sure there are many other variables. It makes me wonder how well any one person's setting will work for someone else unless there is enough similarity between setups.

Upvote 0
I for one struggle to feel much difference with VR compensation and without it. I run without it and use lower inputs in racing games than I do in like No Limit Roller Coaster in VR.

A must have for anyone with a motion seat and VR... and great to introduce others to VR, everyone likes roller coasters I think.

Upvote 0
I've never used the compensation software and never even install it. Many people have found much success just running it as per normal and letting their head correct the motion of the platform, as you would in a car.

Upvote 0
Roll will only apply when the car is physically tilting left or right due to camber in the road, hitting a rock or bump or curb unevenly. It will not apply to lateral forces of the car i.e. G forces from turning. You can turn this up heaps but there will be few situations that it will come into play. Test it by turning it up full, taking a high speed corner with no curb, then taking another corner with a sausage curb even at low speed. You will feel the platform 'lift' your wheels on the side that the curb is hitting them.

Sway is the one you want for lateral forces on the vehicle. Although in rally since traction is low, you might find that there isn't a massive amount of this either. As the car is sliding rather than pushing against the force of inertia under load and grip.

Upvote 0
Thanks but no it's not sway I want, I do mean putting the car half up a bank so it's at an angle, the seat doesn't angle much and required the intensity to be increased a lot.

In iRacing and PC2 etc, I have it nicely set to pretty much match roll angle at Daytona etc, or at least feel it, and that required lowering the intensity.

Upvote 0
I do remember being jolted and then tilted when hitting the oval part on Daytona after coming out of the left hander. You should be getting this feeling through regular settings. I do think that feeling would come through the Roll slider.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies