Next Level Motion V3 settings thread (highly requested...?)

OK Next Level motion users, here it is: my tuned settings that I feel give the best feeling of what a car should represent while racing. Taken a while to get this up and running, with barely free time to actually sim race as it is. Hopefully you will get some value out of this and it further increases your enjoyment of an already pretty good product out of the box.

I have listed a few different profiles, use the Assetto Corsa one for all the big sim racing titles (of course utilizing the Formula & non Formula profiles for open wheel vs GT style cars) and use the Dirt Rally template for that title as well as any other rally title that takes advantage of motion. Don't forget to change both the 'motion' AND 'motion post processing' tabs for full effects.

Obviously these are my personal preferences and they may not suit everyone, but give them a try and have a play with them yourself to alter it as you see fit. Post any feelings/comments you have back here and maybe together we can further tune these settings for even better results.

Dirt Rally post process.png Dirt Rally settings.png Formula post process.png Formula settings.png NON formula post process.png NON formula settings.png

Hi RKip455,

What race sim? I also found out that depending on the race game it differs. To be honest I'm too new to the NLR motion to give you a reliable answer about setting changes. Therefor hopefully others like Anton can assist you/us.

What do we think is the best integration of racesim and this NLR motion platform? I just discovered RaceRoomRacing and the motion movement feels spot on. (dis)agree? You feel the curves/corners much more "intense" vs e.g. AC en Pcars2. Is that a setting or just a better implementation of the game/rig itself?

Upvote 0
Each sim obviously has its own telemetry data and the output of that data differs between titles. It's hard to know how much unless you drive all the sims at the same settings. I find that they are all very similar in similar cars (e.g GT cars, open wheelers) when the same settings are applied but there are a few exceptions.

The bumps you are experiencing as excessive should be corrected under the Heave setting, as this is the vertical movement simulated by the platform. You would think Bumps would do something for this but I think that setting is more for rumble strips and stuff like that (the platform has vibration function as well as axis movement albeit fairly faint and nowhere near my Simvibe output with shakers, but it's there).

AMS seems to output road bumps more severely than other sims in Simvibe and I had to turn them down slightly for it to remain consistent with the other sims but on the motion platform everything on my settings pretty much stays the same and I feel they are all very similar, car depending of course.

If you have increased the Gain setting at all under post processing tab, this affects bumps heavily too as all the little movements are increased and combine to give a much rougher ride than normal. In this case, reducing Heave further should compensate for the added overall power output introduced with an increased Gain level. This should give a more realistic road feel while still increasing thrust and braking forces, probably the reason why the the Gain level has been increased in the first place.

Upvote 0
Hi RKip455,

What race sim? I also found out that depending on the race game it differs. To be honest I'm too new to the NLR motion to give you a reliable answer about setting changes. Therefor hopefully others like Anton can assist you/us.

What do we think is the best integration of racesim and this NLR motion platform? I just discovered RaceRoomRacing and the motion movement feels spot on. (dis)agree? You feel the curves/corners much more "intense" vs e.g. AC en Pcars2. Is that a setting or just a better implementation of the game/rig itself?

Hey BB... I do agree their all different... I find this IMHO:

Dirt - Excellent, you expect the bumps... A must have for NLR and VR. Best Rally game ever IMHO... forget RBR folks loved it, but in its day sure, but not anymore.

R3E - Very good, for NLR. I think this is the best sim out IMHO. Excellent AI, great car to track feel and free options to race how you want to. I also love Mid-Ohio.

Automobillsta is also pretty good no VR though (hate their new name)

Assetto Corso - is a great sim... works well with NLR

iRacing, is acceptable, but the jerkiness is there. I hate the car to road feel in iRacing. I don't know why folks think this game is realistic... R3E Porsche cup car is spot on... iRaci9ngs is like driving a 911 street car.

pCars 2, I've not really played much. It does support NLR though and VR. Can't play them all right now.

rFactor 2, not really played it much, plan on checking it out later this weekend.

Anton's suggestions helped, but I still find annoying motion/jerky movements when obviously not there.

Upvote 0
Each sim obviously has its own telemetry data and the output of that data differs between titles. It's hard to know how much unless you drive all the sims at the same settings. I find that they are all very similar in similar cars (e.g GT cars, open wheelers) when the same settings are applied but there are a few exceptions.

The bumps you are experiencing as excessive should be corrected under the Heave setting, as this is the vertical movement simulated by the platform. You would think Bumps would do something for this but I think that setting is more for rumble strips and stuff like that (the platform has vibration function as well as axis movement albeit fairly faint and nowhere near my Simvibe output with shakers, but it's there).

AMS seems to output road bumps more severely than other sims in Simvibe and I had to turn them down slightly for it to remain consistent with the other sims but on the motion platform everything on my settings pretty much stays the same and I feel they are all very similar, car depending of course.

If you have increased the Gain setting at all under post processing tab, this affects bumps heavily too as all the little movements are increased and combine to give a much rougher ride than normal. In this case, reducing Heave further should compensate for the added overall power output introduced with an increased Gain level. This should give a more realistic road feel while still increasing thrust and braking forces, probably the reason why the Gain level has been increased in the first place.

Thanks Anton.. I had Heave and Bumps to zero. Though I like the rumble strip feel and even all bumps when expected... it's barreling down the straight on what appears to be a reasonable smooth surface, not dash movement and me bouncing erratically.

So you're saying if I decrease GAIN it will smooth out some possible... I'll try it? Gain by default is 1 and can only be increased to 2.0

So what exactly does the offset really do?

I've tried your settings with Linearity about 2, Gain about 1.5 Offset about 1

I've recently only set the VR compensation factor from the NLR rotational point to my head... as trying to set the other two put my head outside the car...! I noticed there is a Smooth slider under the VR tab... does this help with the jerkiness I feeling... I'm assuming it does not.

Thanks again....!

I've been wanting to try SimVibe... as I use Buttkickers... is it worth the change?

I'm not sure I really understand how to install/setup. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Hey can anyone confirm F1 2016 works with NLR?

I have it sand it crashes entering the game whether it be time trial or a race.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same for 2017... please confirm it works if you have played in with NLR motion seat. I do not have F1 2017.

Upvote 0
RKip I would not be using Gain at anything near 1.5. That may be the reason that your ride is so erratic even when it seems it should be relatively smooth. As I've stated before the gain and offset sliders (along with linearity) were introduced first and foremost to allow users to reduce the travel (or throw) of the platform according to personal preference. The sims send the data and the platform interprets higher values of telemetry into further movement of the platform to translate the effect to the user. In other words, slower corner, less travel left or right, faster or tighter corner, more travel left or right. This is of course not realistic, as real cars have Gforces and a constant push against the body in a turn, not further movement left or right. So the sliders (by using the graph provided) allow the user to customize their experience to what they feel is the more realistic motion. The gain setting (with all other settings left at default) will amplify the lower forces dramatically i.e, road bumps(!) and imperfections in tarmac. This is most likely your first point to address.

Get that gain down to around 1.00 and play with the other settings first, while at the same time re enabling the Heave and Bumps settings to around 0.50 to start with. You should find it much more tolerable this way. My advice is only use Linearity and Offset to adjust your desired platform travel, and only use small increase (0.10) to the standard 1.00 Gain setting if you want a more lively ride.

Upvote 0
Thanks Anton... I did have he gain at the default zero before I posted here. Gain and offset at zero by default.

I will set to zero and try reducing linearity.

Upvote 0
well guys I figured out my issue... WOW what a difference it's made for me. I can literally run R3E, Dirt Rally, AC and AMS at the Default settings, all 1.0.

I did a lot of testing this weekend and via some help from NLR support and this forum... I didn't really make any progress. That doesn't mean it wasn't very helpful, it was and Anton and BB thanks for your post. In an email from Matthew with NLR he suggested many things to try... one was to make sure I didn't have the ACA (Alternative Control Algorithm) selected/ Which I didn't.

However, I decided to reset all parameters to default settings... and did laps at Mid Ohio in R3E. From there I kept making changes,,, leaving the default values set at 1.0. There is an Oscillation Dampening setting as well. I tried this and then the ACA... BAM.

The ACA did exactly what it said it would do... it states that "switching to alternative control algorithm may provide smoother and more precise motion platform operation in some configurations"

Well for my setup NLR v2 it did just that. I feel the bump where appropriate (mildly) the roll in turn and the surge under braking and acceleration... with mild shifting movements. I can finally really enjoy the motion now. Played dirt this afternoon for over an hour,,, which was hard to do before due to so much crazy bouncing,,, !

I recommend to everyone with the NLR to at least try this at the default settings with and without and then work on your tweaking each car / game.

Hope this helps NLR owners.

Upvote 0
Where is this setting RKip? I've never seen it before. Is it in the profile settings or is it in the main options. You said you have a V2 platform? I have a V3 which may be why I cannot see it. Could be disabled in the firmware. Perhaps the V3 incorporates this setting by default and that's why I haven't been able to pin point what you were actually experiencing.

Upvote 0
I also have no options for ACA settings (V3, software from motionsystems.eu). I don´t think I´ve seen an option for oscillation dampening either.
Btw, I´ve pretty much cured my seat "wobble". I just slid my seat forwards on its rails about 8 cm. I´m assuming my center of gravity was too far back. The play is still there but now I need to really push against my wheel before the seat moves. I´ve noticed no negative impact when in use either.

Upvote 0
Guys, I think you have it... its under

Tools and Diagnostics
Hardware Configuration

I think it's worth a try... and then go back to tweaking your settings.

I also had to turn off VR compensation, it seemed to cause flickering in pC2 and AC

upload_2018-3-20_8-7-37.png

Upvote 0
Yes Troy the COG is very important on this platform, it's basically how I ended up with all this info! Mine was too far forward and causing the platform to trigger safety cut off when pitching too far forward. Your ass should be right above the pivot point on the platform, if possible. I had to shift my whole rig forward, pedal deck extended as far out as it could go, and move the seat slider BACK to achieve satisfactory result. I am 166cm so I needed to be forward to reach wheel and pedals. But this helped A LOT. My 'wobble' has always been acceptable to me however, and never felt like more than what you would expect from a moving part that has been 'locked' when not in use.

RKip in hardware settings I only have one setting and it's neither of those. I tested it before the motion post processing was introduced in an effort to cure my problem above. I've since left it alone. It's basically a performance envelope where you can tell the platform to operate at a percentage of it's capacity. Nothing like your screenshot however. I feel it's built into the newer model as default.

Upvote 0
RKip in hardware settings I only have one setting and it's neither of those. I tested it before the motion post processing was introduced in an effort to cure my problem above. I've since left it alone. It's basically a performance envelope where you can tell the platform to operate at a percentage of it's capacity. Nothing like your screenshot however. I feel it's built into the newer model as default.

Well that's good to know, since the jerkiness was almost unbearable. I guess NLR recognized this and corrected.

Thanks for the help...!

Upvote 0
New software update has introduced an interesting setting. Now the Offset values in post processing can be put to a negative value. I am not sure exactly how this reacts with the movement of the platform as I am out of action until the new chassis arrives, but will definitely have a play with it once I am up and running again and report back with some findings. May have a few tweaks for you all to try out.

I did feel that although the 'new' settings (they have been around for a little while now) allowed an improved granularity to the feel and movement of the platform, there were still a few holes in my profiles that I felt needed addressing. Hopefully Motion Systems were thinking along the same lines as I was and introduced this feature to combat that. Will see in the coming week/s.

Upvote 0
Just had a quick look at the post processing sliders. I think that it depends on the race game you select if you can select negative values. I'm a complete noob with regards to the right settings so I hope I can learn from you or other YouTube examples. :thumbsup:

And although very late (apologies I completely forgot to check) and also checked above suggestion of @RKip455 --> In hardware config there is no Oscillator selection. (I've a V3). Only Work Envelop Scaling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@AntoN_CheZ Thanks for pointing me to this thread. :)

I'm just trying out some of settings here now.

Anyone got the some Pcars 2 profile settings I can try out. I have the v2 though. I am also experimenting settings my self but I havent found one that I like yet.

If there are other general setting I should changing also please let me know.

Upvote 0
Who wants to share his setup for R3E and Pcars2. Thx in advance.

Do we adjust both roll and pitch post processing with the same values for all race games.
Now I have exact same values for both per game.

Upvote 0
Follow my screenshots at the beginning of the thread. The pitch and roll settings are slightly different in each profile (I think) and they are also different for types of car (GT/closed cabin and high down force open wheel cars). I have profiles for most of the main sims, and PC2 you can just copy one say AC or R3E and adjust something if it feels slightly off. Most of the sims use the same settings unless there is a value that feels off (like the rally games, they are slightly different to account for the driving style). I do the same for Simvibe. I have a basic setting for most of the sims which is the same, but then I change a particular setting (say, bumps in AMS as they seem to be more aggressive than the other sims) if I feel that it's too exaggerated or too vague.

Have a look through the screens and make sure you pay attention to the post processing tab as that's where most of the tweaks have come from. Most of the motion settings (sway, roll, surge etc) are all at 1.00 so the tweaks really come from the manipulation of the throw of the platform and the intensity of that throw.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies