Team ORSM

Just reinstalled V8Factor 1.3 after not having played 1.2 for a while. I can't really recall the exact physics of 1.2 but I did notice the 1.3 car actually feels heavy and more grippy but still challenging and quite a handful (as it should).

Obviously, I've never driven a V8 Super, but by having a good look at onboard and trackside footage and how the suspension works, weight distribution etc. I might get a certain impression of how such a car should act and what it might or might not do. I did spend a lot of time working on a physics model for a FWD rallycar using real data, carFactory and MoTeC, so I do have some understanding of rFactor physics.

I haven't read the entire topic so some issues might have been discussed already, but here's what I've noticed so far.

The real V8 Supers don't have auto blip so I've disabled it in the .plr file. When I blip the throttle and do a single gear downshift, the car gets really unstable as the rear locks up. It doesn't lock up immediately after downshifting, but gradually when the revs pick up. Kinda like driving in 5th gear in a real car and putting it in 1st or 2nd gear and gradually letting the clutch come up. Might be a diff issue, too much back torque or even a clutch issue.

Also, in mid corner, I don't really get a lot of feedback of the front. It feels kinda vague and the front wheel grip level is hard to tell. I haven't messed with the suspension settings yet so it might actually improve with better springs and/or dampers.

Then, although the upgrades section says 'adjustable diff' it isn't actually adjustable. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that (or I'm doing something wrong), but all the diff settings are greyed out.

What I really do like is the feeling of pushing the car to the limit, especially in fast corners and bumpy sections. You can feel the suspension is working overtime and the tyres are under a lot of stress. The car also forces you to drive really precise to get a fast lap (or even stay on the road) which is really rewarding when you get it right.

I've compared this mod (or rather the physics) to the BMW WTCC E90 (which is brilliant). The Beemer feels light and nimble and is pretty easy to drive but a bit tricky when you push hard, where the V8 just feels like a big boat on wheels and you really have to be gentle on the throttle. The Beemer physics do get a better feeling on the front but the V8 has more predictable oversteer. I also tried the FVRV8 mod but I didn't like it, as the physics feel a bit odd. It's near impossible to unsettle the car, which isn't very V8'ish.

So good job, looking forward to the next version!

Your post was great until you compared a 1 ton, 280hp car to a 1.5 ton, 630hp one......
I knew mentioning a WTCC Beemer on a V8 forum was a bad idea... ;)

I wasn't trying to compare a V8 Supercar to a Beemer ofcourse as they're totally different cars. The Beemer is supposed to be like a kid can drive it and the V8 should scare the crap out of you. What I meant was that in my opinion, the WTCC mod has pretty good physics (geometry/suspension, handling, engine performance, brakes and so on) and feels 'right', so I used it as a benchmark, keeping in mind there's lots of differences in weight and power. The V8 is just as good, aside from the things I pointed out.

As to the adjustable diff, certain tracks have locked diffs just like in real life ;)

Your post was great until you compared a 1 ton, 280hp car to a 1.5 ton, 630hp one......

Thanks Yuri and Ryan.

The diff comment is exactly right.

We have replicated the series, and as such the V8Supercars are restricted with the Diff they run at certain tracks. You don't have he ability to change ratios based on the Technical requirements.

As far as the mismatch between a BMW and a V8Supercar. You aren't incorrect in saying that there is a major dfference, but I have played with the engine power for a comparison and can say if you reduce the power on a V8Supercar, you get a fantastic throw around block of metal, but there is no Power down spin, and you can run full throttle everywhere. Basically, it loses all its character.

The auto Blip issue (from memory) is a compromise we might have had to make to accommodate the majority of users who don't have or use a clutch. That feedback is actually really good for testing, as we might be able to set up an Upgrade for people who don't use Blip or Lift, so it adjusts the physics to eliminate this issue.

The front tyre feel I will pass on to the Physics guru also, as I know he has been trying to redevelop the cars turn in as a major priority.

One thing to play with on these beasts is the Trackbar settings. This replicates the cars Watts linkage in the rear, and adjusts the rear roll centre of the car. That in itself can assist in the feel of the car and the turn in vs power down.

Have a play, and let us know if you find some better settings. We are always interested in good setups so we can get a good balanced default so you can drive really well "out of the truck".

Can you also include the old ones, from the current mod.

Hi Dave

The plan is to include all the rims that have been used in the series over the last 10 years.
So essentially, there will be:
- 5 Spoke Oz
- 5 Spoke Speedline
- 6 Spoke Perkins designed
- 8 Spoke 888 designed
- 12 Spoke Team Dynamic Control Rims and
- 16 Spoke Oz rims (as used by Most Holden teams)

All rims will be available in Polished alloy, but also can be painted.

To release them now would mean a major upgrade to the old V8Factor.

I am sure you all would prefer our time to be devoted to getting the VE and FG out as the wheels are already set up in the new Mod.

Thx for a decent reply Gav. I appreciate your honesty. Shame a few of the other replies after my question and before your reply were a little hollow.

I agree. and unfortunately, the resposes (other than Gav's) weren't from the ORSM team either.

Its a pity that we can't offer you a set timeframe or release date, but many of our core team are shift workers, and if you have ever worked lots of night shifts in a row, you would appreciate that there is normally something else on your mind after finishing work.

That's the sad fact with hobbies. You do it when you can, or when you have time...

Hi I have just uprgraded my operating system from vista to win 7 ultimate 64 bit now I have installed rfactor lite and go to run installation for v8factor version 1 and it starts then comes up with invalid data is this a problem for 64 bit and how do I get around it if there is a .rar version of it I am able to manually extract files into the right places or use modman thanks.

Hi I have just uprgraded my operating system from vista to win 7 ultimate 64 bit now I have installed rfactor lite and go to run installation for v8factor version 1 and it starts then comes up with invalid data is this a problem for 64 bit and how do I get around it if there is a .rar version of it I am able to manually extract files into the right places or use modman thanks.

Hi DJ.

You can select anywhere for the installer to place the files. It basically just a compressed installer file.

Does rF lite work on it's own before you try installing any mods? You might find it is actually an rFactor vs Win 7 issue. I can't recall this as being an issue previously.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back