Need your help , GPU upgrade ?

The 7700xt is badly priced and will come down in the near future, Not the time to buy right now, bad value atm. I ran 1440 ultrawide with a 5700xt for a while. AC and Rf2 were fine at high/medium settings but ACC was a bit too compromised for my enjoyment. I think a 6700xt/7700xt will cut it if you temper your expectations.

The 7800xt is at a decent price, is selling well and is likely to hold it's price till sales slow. Should do a solid job. Certainly being beefier will help with the extra screen real estate. Nv lowered the price of the 4070 a few days ago, not sure if that has filtered down to market yet.

The 7700xt is badly priced and will come down in the near future, Not the time to buy right now, bad value atm. I ran 1440 ultrawide with a 5700xt for a while. AC and Rf2 were fine at high/medium settings but ACC was a bit too compromised for my enjoyment. I think a 6700xt/7700xt will cut it if you temper your expectations.

The 7800xt is at a decent price, is selling well and is likely to hold it's price till sales slow. Should do a solid job. Certainly being beefier will help with the extra screen real estate. Nv lowered the price of the 4070 a few days ago, not sure if that has filtered down to market yet.
I used a 5700XT with my triple screens for a little bit. It got the job done with the settings dialed down. It's now on HTPC duty. Unfortunately my 5700XT has issues, and I have to run a high fan speed profile to keep it stable. :cry: Darn Gigabyte. I shoulda went with the Sapphire card. :p

The 5700xt was a great little card, i loved it.

There's a family around the corner that i've known since we were kids and have been really cool over the years. Thanks to upgrades i had a few spare bits laying around so i got what was needed to put a complete machine together and threw in the 5700xt for my friends son who'd been playing minecraft on an ancient desktop. Had him build it too!

So yeah, it's gone off for a second life.

I used a 5700XT with my triple screens for a little bit. It got the job done with the settings dialed down. It's now on HTPC duty. Unfortunately my 5700XT has issues, and I have to run a high fan speed profile to keep it stable. :cry: Darn Gigabyte. I shoulda went with the Sapphire card. :p
Had similar problems with an ASUS TUF RX5700XT.

Could actually have been an AMD problem?

Had similar problems with an ASUS TUF RX5700XT.

Could actually have been an AMD problem?
Maybe? I was an early adaptor of the 5700XT. I went with the Gigabyte card because it was one of the lower profile options, and I wanted to be able to fit it in my HTPC case when the time came. It's the most unstable AMD card I've ever owned. Cranking up the Fan speeds has really made a difference, so I suspect a hardware problem. Maybe faulty Ram (or maybe the heatsink isn't making proper contact).

My 6700XT is also a Gigabyte card, and it's been a champ since day one. My RX 7900 XTX (Sapphire) has also been great with the exception of the heat this sucker puts out under full load. :D

Last edited:
Looking at my image, it looks like my 3900X is holding the FPS back slightly. Probably due to the number of cars.
Yep, wanted to write the same :p
So with a better GPU, your fps probably won't increase during similar starts at all.
My 7600X overclocked to 5400 MHz with 6200 CL30 still drops down to 75-80 fps during such starts.
Maybe the 7800X3D will be reduced around black Friday.. I might grab one to solve ALL simracing fps issues.
GPU limit mostly goes smoothly. Your fps simply go down and back up and you don't really notice it with a VRR monitor.
But CPU limit has short stutters that are quite annoying sometimes.

Just wanted to mention that if your already own a monitor, you should check if it is gsync or freesync.

I was almost ready to go for AMD, but i will stay with nvidia just because i am happy with my current gsync alienware 21:9 monitor. (And i had no problem with nvidua too)

Yep, wanted to write the same :p
So with a better GPU, your fps probably won't increase during similar starts at all.
My 7600X overclocked to 5400 MHz with 6200 CL30 still drops down to 75-80 fps during such starts.
Maybe the 7800X3D will be reduced around black Friday.. I might grab one to solve ALL simracing fps issues.
GPU limit mostly goes smoothly. Your fps simply go down and back up and you don't really notice it with a VRR monitor.
But CPU limit has short stutters that are quite annoying sometimes.
Hmmm. I should try running a 1080p low settings test on my actual sim rig to see what the CPU bottleneck looks like in ACC. It has a 7800X3d in it. I don't think I've seen anyone ever post such results.

Hmmm. I should try running a 1080p low settings test on my actual sim rig to see what the CPU bottleneck looks like in ACC. It has a 7800X3d in it. I don't think I've seen anyone ever post such results.
Would be very interesting!
The difference should be absolutely stunning.
But please do 720p with your normal or epic preset settings.
View distance, shadows etc. also stress the CPU. Basically everything that needs geometrical calculation causes draw calls for the CPU.
Stuff like textures, motion blur or other post process effects run on the gpu alone afaik, but objects that cause shadows are all causing draw calls.

Also the FoV has an impact, since things you can't see on screen won't cause draw calls, only physics calculations.
The resolution however is purely on the graphics card. Apart from a bit more data over the pci-e bus, which doesn't really matter at all.

So to test the CPU fps "with a future gpu", you need to run your normal settings and only reduce the resolution.

I'm not sure if 720p epic preset will be enough to get your graphics card to come off from 99% load and put the bottleneck onto the 7800x3D, lol.

Would be very interesting!
The difference should be absolutely stunning.
But please do 720p with your normal or epic preset settings.
View distance, shadows etc. also stress the CPU. Basically everything that needs geometrical calculation causes draw calls for the CPU.
Stuff like textures, motion blur or other post process effects run on the gpu alone afaik, but objects that cause shadows are all causing draw calls.

Also the FoV has an impact, since things you can't see on screen won't cause draw calls, only physics calculations.
The resolution however is purely on the graphics card. Apart from a bit more data over the pci-e bus, which doesn't really matter at all.

So to test the CPU fps "with a future gpu", you need to run your normal settings and only reduce the resolution.

I'm not sure if 720p epic preset will be enough to get your graphics card to come off from 99% load and put the bottleneck onto the 7800x3D, lol.
I have an RX 7900 XTX in the rig pushing triple screens. If I drop that down to a single screen, I "should" be able to bottleneck the CPU. But we'll see. :) It might take me a couple of days to get around to it though. I have some errands to run after work.

Last edited:
I have an RX 7900 XTX in the rig pushing triple screens. If I drop that down to a single screen, I "should" be able to bottleneck the CPU. But we'll see. :) It might take me a couple of days to get around to it though. I have some errands to run after work.
Triples cause a lot more draw calls due to their massive fov + scene splitting.
Would be nice if you could just drop the resolution (fsr/dlss quality to minimum and/or resolution scale slider to 50%).
That way you don't need to tinker with the real resolution or change settings of your triples :)

Triples cause a lot more draw calls due to their massive fov + scene splitting.
Would be nice if you could just drop the resolution (fsr/dlss quality to minimum and/or resolution scale slider to 50%).
That way you don't need to tinker with the real resolution or change settings of your triples :)
I'll try to do both single and triple.

I'll try to do both single and triple.
When you'll do single screen, please save your graphics settings as a preset, take a screenshot of your session settings (track, weather, AI, starting place etc) and share everything.
That way I can do the same test with my 7600X with pretty massive ram OC thanks to the latest AMD updates, which gave me about 10 fps on average!

I'm using CapframeX, which is what most of these videos are using afaik.
But the new tool from Intel looks very nice indeed!

And lol, Capframex got an Update last month, implementing Intel's Presentmon. Just googled it and it doesn't seem to matter which one you're using haha.

Let me post my last video as benchmark for my gtx 1070ti with various games.

This time with Raceroom.
I didn´t play it a lot recently, also it may explain the low fps, just because i choose to maxed out the
graphic options. 20 AI

In my opinion, the graphic are simple but as beautiful as the other games. (I like the trees and the color panel in this version of the Nordschleife)
Ffb and handling are just fun to drive. I like it

Last edited:
I'm using CapframeX, which is what most of these videos are using afaik.
But the new tool from Intel looks very nice indeed!

And lol, Capframex got an Update last month, implementing Intel's Presentmon. Just googled it and it doesn't seem to matter which one you're using haha.
So I installed CapFrameX + Riva last night, and got an overlay working. Aside from in-game video settings, what else am I configuring or capturing? Video+overlay (upload to youtube)? Or some kind of data capture and data dump?

Let me know what would be most beneficial and I'll start a fresh thread with the results.

Last edited:
A little update.
After the desillusion, i finally purchased the same asus tuf gaming rtx 3060 GPU from another supplier. I am totally happy with the new card. The improvment is nice, i can use more graphic options or have a great improvment in fps.
The cooling of the card is great. 56°C at full load in game on my pc.
I don´t need any overclocking/undervolting at the moment.

i made a claim and got my money back from visa card.
nice !!

thank you very much for all your help and advices, because in the end i think i made a nice choice for what i really need.
The combo i7 8700k + rtx 3060 is nice on my 2560x1080 monitor.
They work well together.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes