Need your help , GPU upgrade ?

manu68

Premium
Hi !
Christmas is coming, so i have to plan it well .
I am very satisfied with my current pc , which runs absolutely fine for my needs all the simulations i own.
(Acc, AC, rfactor 2, Ams2 .....).

Not fancy but robust.

That said, we never know what is coming, znd i would like to be prepared !!
For that reason, i would consider to upgrade my GPU for something better, but in phase with the rest of the pc. (See the monitor, which i like a) lot).
I don´t intend to replace anything else but the GPU

What would be your proposal ?
Thanks in avance !
My pc
- motherboard aorus gaming 5 , Z370 chipset
- GPU MSI GTX 1070 ti gaming 8g (sometime overclooked)
- cpu i7-8700K
-ventirad Bequiet Dark Rock 4
-Ram 16 gb Corsair
-Alim Cooler Master 650 W
-box Be quiet pure 600
- 3 SSD samsung evo 860 + 1 to harddisk
-Windows 11
-monitor Alienware 21:9 34" 2560x1080 144 hz

Forgot to mention
-CSL DD 8 Nm
-shifter fanatec
- CSL v3 pedals
- Rseat RS1 rig
-MC laren v2 wheel

Very satisfied with this parts

Last edited:
You seem to want to spend money for Xmas…

but you write that you are satisfied with your PC.
So if you don’t intend to play Cyberpunk2077, no need to upgrade now.

And you write that you are also satisfied with your wheel etc…
So no need to upgrade here also.

Maybe you can spend your money for a motion system, seat belt tensioner, dasboard, etc…This will definitely enhance the immersion.

In fact, i could run my games at 144 hz, or assetto corsa, acc, .. at full details.
Currently i have 80 to 100 fps , at mid high settings.

And if solething big like assetto 2 or , rennsport,.... is coming, i will be ready.

Otherwise, for 1080p my pc is old but i am happy with it.

You are right for the rest i am working on it, but not sure.
Maybe a wheel , and a better intégration of a streamdeck i have

Cheers

Last edited:
In fact, i could run my games at 144 hz, or assetto corsa, acc, .. at full details.
Currently i have 80 to 100 fps , at mid high settings.

And if solething big like assetto 2 or , rennsport,.... is coming, i will be ready.

Otherwise, for 1080p my pc is old but i am happy with it.

You are right for the rest i am working on it, but not sure.
Maybe a wheel , and a better intégration of a streamdeck i have

Cheers

If you want to play new sim racing games or AAA games at 4k, the you will need a full new PC….not only GPU.

Yes you can spend money on a new wheel or Streamdeck. But honestly significant improvements for immersion are Transducers/ Buttkicker LFEs etc…, Motion system and Seat belt tensioner. You can also buy Pro-Sim H-shifter or seq. shifter if you like to drive older cars or Dashboard like Grid DDU.

Many ways to spend money on Xmas if you like to.

I already own a streamdeck.
I thought about a dahboard, but not sure i really need it , because as i play with single screen, i can not realy use a " real" fov. ( i use mainly 38 fov instead of the theory 29 calculated)

I already own a streamdeck.
I thought about a dahboard, but not sure i really need it , because as i play with single screen, i can not realy use a " real" fov. ( i use mainly 38 fov instead of the theory 29 calculated)
From what you write, there is nothing that you need…
Except that you want to spend money for Xmas on your rig/ PC…LOL

Enjoy your spending.

Hi manu!

For GPU, the only real options are the 4070 or 4070ti. I can recommend the Asus tuf cards for 30xx and 40xx generation. They are basically silent. And yes, I really mean silent! I have a tuf 3080, friends have a 3070 and 4070ti. At full load, they are quieter than my be quiet silent wing at 40% (800 RPM).

AMD cards a good too, but not that great for simracing.
They lack VR performance, if you ever want to use it and I guess more and more future titles will support dlss, which works great as anti aliasing, while reducing gpu load. It was a game changer for me in ACC.

However I'm not convinced that your 8700k will be able to run 144 fps in your sims. If you want to test this, simply reduce the resolution in your sims and disable any fps limiters (and vsync) and see what fps you're getting.
Beware in AC: make a backup if the acos.ini in the documents ac folder. The HUD changes with the resolution but won't change back!

Thanks to both of you !
I use indeed the AMD dlss equivalent thing in ac and acc .
As i never had problem with the cpu until now, difficult to judge.
It runs currently at about 50% i would say (gpu at 100% of course). I suppose i have some reserve (i could overclock it too ???)

Last edited:
Hello Manu.

If you click the link (to Tom's Hardware) and scroll down a little there is a current gpu comparison chart for 1080 which might help.

It depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

If i were looking to upgrade the rest of the machine I would spend on the latest and best that i could afford, bearing in mind the 650w psu.

If i just wanted an upgrade to see out the life of the machine I'd go cheap. Last gen 3070/3070Ti/6700XT/6800 would be a sizable upgrade on what you have now and if you move quick there are still a few bargains left out there.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you !
I use indeed the AMD dlss equivalent thing in ac and acc .
As i never had problem with the cpu until now, difficult to judge.
It runs currently at about 50% i would say (gpu at 100% of course). I suppose i have some reserve (i could overclock it too ???)
FSR from AMD sadly is nowhere near the quality of dlss in ACC. For example: at the outside of the first chicane at Spa, you have some telephone wires and with TAA, they are "steppy", aliased. With dlss, they are smoother than with TAA. With fsr, they have flickering gaps!

Anyway, about your CPU:
As long as the load isn't 99%, it's completely useless, sadly.
It's because all simracing titles have fewer application threads, than your cpu has cpu threads (cores * 2 due to hyperthreading).
Imagine it like you have workers with 2 arms and infinitely long nails that need to go into the wall.
AC has 2 nails, you cpu has 6 workers with 2 arms.
So 2 workers hit one nail each in parallel, while their second arm is doing nothing (imagine the nail being already far enough into the wall to be stable).
The other 4 workers do basically nothing apart from providing drinks, vacuuming dust from the hammering, answering questions from colleagues etc.

The moment one worker becomes tired, the next worker will get to the nail and continue.

So if a game only provides a single thread, more than 2 cores won't give you any higher fps. 1 core calculates the game, the other is managing the OS, Discord etc.

In theory, your 6 cores, 12 thread cpu can hit the "single thread performance limit" (or single nail limit :p) at 100% / 12 = 8.33% cpu load.

However you're seeing all cores having some load on them.
That's because at 1s refresh interval and 4 GHz clock speed, you're seeing 4.000.000.000 cpu cycles (hammer hits) per core averaged.
Every core did something, but it resulted only in barely more fps compares to a cpu without hyperthreading and only 3 cores.

But to give you a solution to this and why you should test with reduced resolution:
The graphics card's load is always the correct indicator. (with about 5% tolerance due to dx9 vs 12, dlss, rtx, nvenc Video encoding etc etc).
It doesn't have that issue if parallel threads.
If your graphics card is below 95% load, the bottleneck is either an fps limiter (or vsync) or your CPU.

The important bit:
Graphic settings also change the amount of "draw calls" that the CPU has to prepare. But this doesn't scale with resolution!
So if your graphics card has infinite performance and your graphics settings stay the same, your CPU bottlenecked FPS will basically be identical no matter if you're using 1280x720 or 4k.

So to test your CPU performance, just keep everything identical but put the resolution to the lowest possible. Or at least reduce it until your graphics card only shows no more than 70% load.

And that's also why I always recommend the CPUs with fewest cores, but highest clock speed within a generation. And always the newest generation.
One issue is that the CPUs with more cores also have more cache. And the effect of cache can be seen with the 5800x3D and 7800x3D, which both dominate the ACC benchmarks.

But I'd always buy a 13600k over a 12900k or a 7600x over a 5950x etc.
You don't need more workers, you need the best workers for simracing.

Your 8700k is an awesome CPU though! It had way more performance than its predecessors and basically identical performance up to Intel's 12th gen.
I'm not convinced that it could keep up with a 4070 though.

3070 ti or 3080 will not be an option for single screen at 1080p ??
( maybe with some upscaling )
Mh yes and no. The 40xx are a lot more efficient and have more vram and also better dlss & rtx performance.
Energy costs barely make it worth it, but having 100W less in your room might be cool. Literally.
I definitely feel the difference between undervolting + losing 10% performance with my 3080 to only consume 170-220W in ACC vs no dlss, needing the 10% performance and having it consume 300-350W.
Massive difference in air quality without an AC.

So if you want to keep it as long as your 10xx, I'd recommend a 40xx card.

It depends on the price though. If you can find a 3080 for less than a 4070 non-ti, I'd get the 3080.

8700K + Used 2080 Super @ 1920 = 0% bottleneck :coffee:
100fps I reckon.........I had a 8700K + 2080

P.S. no offence but I fail to see the logic behind either a new CPU or GPU
Better to wait till you sell your whole tower then buy newest matching combo.

Last edited:
8700K + Used 2080 Super @ 1920 = 0% bottleneck :coffee:
100fps I reckon.........I had a 8700K + 2080

P.S. no offence but I fail to see the logic behind either a new CPU or GPU
Better to wait till you sell your whole tower then buy newest matching combo.
It's not 1080p though, but 2560x1080, which is 33.3% more pixels.
If his 1070 ti is constantly at 100% load, a new graphics card can make sense, as long as his CPU has enough headroom.

I agree though, it would probably only result in 110 fps in his case, not 144 fps.

This was my reasoning

He does not want to spend much.
S/H 2080Super would be no dearer then CPU upgrade.
2080Super is almost as fast as a 3600Ti.
Any GPU faster then 3060 will start to create bottleneck.

I found good OC 2080Super for $350 would get for $300 ( been advertised for 3 months )
Cheapest 3060Ti new I found was $500 so 60% dearer and barely faster.
Sure you could find a 3060Ti S/H but it will be little dearer for same gain.
If the main thing is cost then I just can't see a better option for $300AU ( Australian )

2080Super you looking at 30-35% gain over 1070Ti that is seriously good bang for buck.
8700K will keep pace.

I base this on running 1920 res @ max settings
imho that would look better then 2560 @ medium

Last edited:
So much information !
Memory overflow !!!!

If i resume, i may go for something like rtx 4070, but my cpu could not support it very well ( but i would be ready for some further upgrade on the pc itself)
Plus i may need some upgrade on the power unit.

I may go for something like rtx 3070 (even rtx 3060 ti ?) or rtx 2080 with already a nice improvment step of 30% in performance, but again probably not 144 fps.
It could be a nice solution , waiting to replace the entire pc in the future.
(My monitor is gsync 144hz, but i can live with steady 120 fps, and even 100. i had no problem many years with gpl at 36 fps !)

I may keep on using my pc as it is , and, and change everything in one or two years !
( the best solution If i ask my wife !)

I currently run in average (with the setting i have choosen ; depend of course on the teack, the weather, day or night, AI or online, )
AC : 85 fps
ACC : 90-100 fps
Rfactor 2 : 100 fps
Ams2 : 90-100 fps
All the rest, no problem (Gpl 60 fps :)) )

If i can raise the bar at constant 110- 120 fps in all circumstances, it would be already a nice and pleasant improvment (not 144 fps, but is it really important ?)

Again and again , many thanks for your precious analysis

My last purchase Was a dashboard, its nice but doesn't move my World.
Everything it shows can be seen on apps or overlays.

Tactile Feedback would be a game changer, it gives way more car Feedback and adds to the immersion, but W.A.F (wifey acceptance factor) is critical.
Its not silent and if not thoroughly insulated will transmit vibrations into the floor.

Not a problem in a concrete basement or in the garage, but second storey wooden floors......

After reading your comments and searching a little more information, i came to the conclusion that a RTX 4060 ti could cover my expectations.
(So as the rtx 3060ti ). Let me know If i am totally wrong in my interpretation)

- new gen with dlss3 (ACC and maybe upcoming new gen titles ?)
- less current consumption
- in the same class as 3060ti for my resolution 2560x1080
- compatible with my cpu and the rest of my pc in general. (Anything about that would be powerful, but do i really need it ?)
- budget ok (About 400€).

I should be then able to survive the next 2-3 years, and take the time to think about the next quantum jumping with VR or triple screen. (It is currently to soon)

Going off topic a little here but why is it that every time someone says "don't buy an AMD card" it is always someone that doesn't own an AMD card.

I picked up a cheap 6700xt last week to pair with a 1080 165hz screen. Ok, it's with a 58x3d, but for £299 the thing is a little peach. haven't used it much yet but 150+fps without the need for dlss or any silly tricks.

There are currently three gpu manufacturers and none of them should be discounted as every use case is different.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.