Need your help , GPU upgrade ?

So many new informations !
I need qome more time to digest this .

I made the Assetto corsa part.
Csp and pure 0.203 patreon.
It looks great, but is becomi g hard on the pc. !
But i love it very much.

Again, it is already decent but i would like some more !!!

It is pure 0.203. (Few clouds i think)
It looks Washington out , but the real sky is not always bright blue.
It looks more real i must admit, even if less "candy"

It seems that pure 0.203 is not so bright in comparaison with Sol.
The option to select the blue of sky is not here anymore
(I don´t know well the new settings options)

A little something like that.

Last edited:
Yup. Any card with a 16x PCIe interface has nothing to fear from PCIe 3.0, and I'd agree with you that even 2.0 is probably not gonna be a major issue for a mid-range card on most games.

However (as I know you are well aware :)) there are a few "surprise!" cards on the market with narrower interfaces, and the AMD 6400 and 6500 really take the cake with just a 4x link (I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea). Even the 4060 (and Ti) only use 8 lanes.

As for power, I'm still making do with a 430 W supply, and I reckon I have an excellent chance of it working just fine with my next GPU :)

No need to make a big deal of it lol
It was just ONE of the things and whether it is 1% or 3% it is a LOSS
You ALL disregard the BIG one I mentioned obvious bottleneck again
reducing bang for buck were as a 8700K and RTX2080 A 1080p is Zero bottleneck and at 1440p 5%. 8700K and 3060Ti is like 20%
Then if you need a new PSU to run the new card it's even worse bang for buck.
The guy wants to spend as little as possible for the most bang for buck as possible, right.
Telling people PSU is okay you do not even know the specs to and under spec of the hardware they want to use is bad advice imho
The reason I mentioned PSU is 1070Ti is 500w-550w which makes me suspect the PSU could possibly be a stock 650watt coolermaster which I would not recommend for a 2080.
I don't know any reputable site would do the same ? Show me one ?

430watt ? What GPU ? lol ?

Last edited:
You ALL disregard the BIG one I mentioned obvious bottleneck again
reducing bang for buck were as a 8700K and RTX2080 A 1080p is Zero bottleneck and at 1440p 5%. 8700K and 3060Ti is like 20%
Sorry, I can't parse this...
Telling people PSU is okay you do not even know the specs to and under spec of the hardware they want to use is bad advice imho
Not sure who said that, but I certainly didn't.
430watt ? What GPU ? lol ?
GTX 970 and a 7700K - I have found that the GPU can pull more than I originally thought, so I routinely now use nvidia-smi to prevent it from pulling more than 175 W.

I have a cooler master masterwatt 650w bronze modular.
Until now no problem.
Cpu about 60w
Gpu 150-250 w.

I am not limited with the money at all.
I just don´t like to purchase something i don´t really need, or that will not be assorted.
My pc is basically covering my needs, as the videos demonstrates it. But of course i would be happy with a little more and better to face the next years.
If i can upgrade it ok, if not i will keep on living until i change the all pc in maybe 3 to 5 years.
I agree that maybe
3060 ti is already overkill with the rest of the platform.
This is why i am considering a normal 3060 12 gb, which should be well assorted with my cpu and psu.

I could also consider a M2 pcie ssd, just because i have three slot un used on my motherboard.
But i already have three ssd and a big hardrive, also not sure i really need it. My pc is already booting very nicely and quick.

photo 6.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    631 KB · Views: 24
I agree that maybe
3060 ti is already overkill with the rest of the platform.
This is why i am considering a normal 3060 12 gb, which should be well assorted with my cpu and psu.
If I were in your shoes and purchased a 3060 Ti, it would be with a view to upgrading the CPU at some later stage, and bringing the overall package "back into balance" to some degree. In other words, I'd be investing a little more than strictly necessary in the GPU in order to get a better balance later. I basically never upgrade hardware in small steps (instead large steps, far apart :)), but I do normally upgrade several parts at the same time.
So yeah, in your shoes I'd either wait until I really need an upgrade (and then likely upgrade CPU+mobo+RAM+GPU in one hit) or go ahead with the GPU upgrade but take the hit of "over-upgrading" it wrt the rest of the package.
I could also consider a M2 pcie ssd, just because i have three slot un used on my motherboard.
But i already have three ssd and a big hardrive, also not sure i really need it. My pc is already booting very nicely and quick.
Sounds like no need to fix the not-broken system ;) For sure most M.2 drives are quicker than SATA in many ways, but the number of times you will notice that in an average month is pretty small.

Decision has to be taken.
I have looked again at various benchmark videos, test of various GPU and so on...

I have decided to go for an Asus TUF gaming RTX 3060 V2 OC edition with 12 gb ram.
It is an already nice compromise which should improve my pc but stay balanced with the rest of the platform.
Then , in 3 to 5 years it will come the retirement time for this pc as simracing platform.
It will have then a second life in my guitar studio, to replace my current old laptop.

My current gpu

The Asus

I will of course finish the benchmark with all simulations i own and my current gpu, in case it may be interesting for someone ( it is for me !).

Again, many thanks for all the precious advices here. It worths a million time being premium member in such a great community of fellows simracers.
It is not just racing, it is the all package !!

Of course i will keep you informed after i upgraded, just in case you are interested.

Last edited:
Bad news guys.
I ordered my gpu at STEG electronics Basel 05.09.2023.
I received today 08.09.2023 at 11 AM a confirmation, that my GPU was available at the shop in basel .
at 2 pm this afternoon, Steg electronics has suddenly closed all shops and internet website .
I will never get my GPU, and have to start a procedure with my insurance to recover the money '343 chf)

I never thought something like that could occur . Too bad.
I am very disapointed.

Gameplay with the 1070ti with Rfactor 2 at nordschleife.

It looks great in my opinion.

Rfactor 2 is for some reason not my main sim , but it is a great simulation. I should invest more time in it
It looks very nice, drives super, ffb is great.
Not so easy has other titles.

I dont want to hijack this thread or create a new redundant thread in this sub-forum but have to ask . . .

Is a 7800XT enough to drive a ultrawide monitor in modern sims? I need to upgrade gpu and monitor, but anything above the 7800XT is too expensive. Normally I wouldn't even consider the 7800XT, I always bought mid tier at around £300 but I think the 6700XT would struggle.

End of last year I built a 7600X system but still using my old GTX1060 :( Does well at 1080p tho

Last edited:
I dont want to hijack this thread or create a new redundant thread in this sub-forum but have to ask . . .

Is a 7800XT enough to drive a ultrawide monitor in modern sims? I need to upgrade gpu and monitor, but anything above the 7800XT is too expensive. Normally I wouldn't even consider the 7800XT, I always bought mid tier at around £300 but I think the 6700XT would struggle.

End of last year I built a 7600X system but still using my old GTX1060 :( Does well at 1080p tho
Ultrawide (21:9) or superultrawide (32:9)?
My 3080 is pretty much perfect for 3440x1440 @ 100 fps in AC with CSP and most of the pretty stuff, in ACC (thanks to dlss) and ams 2.
A 3070 would struggle a little bit, but would also be fine.

Here's a trusty benchmark across multiple games cut down to your GPU selection.
I set my 3080 to be 100%, so you instantly see how many fps you'd have in comparison.
Screenshot_20230918_161412_Chrome.jpg
6700XT would be okay but not great imo. 7700XT would be fine though.
But yeah, 7800XT would be my recommendation to be stressfree.

Last edited:
21:9 would be plenty for me. It's not 4k but still a lot of pixels. The 7800XT is the first fairly ok value at the upper end I've seen in along time but the gains on previous gens arent very big. The gpu market blows to be honest

21:9 would be plenty for me. It's not 4k but still a lot of pixels. The 7800XT is the first fairly ok value at the upper end I've seen in along time but the gains on previous people are not very big. The gpu market blows to be honest
Yep, buying a GPU isn't fun since the 20xx series that had crappy general leap improvements.
And since the 30xx launch it's an absolute mess.
AMD went along and didn't make it any better for us consumers imo.

Imo there are only 4 cards that you can buy right now:
4070, 4090, 6650XT and 7800XT.

Based on the performance of my 7900XTX on triple 1440p screens, I don't think you will have any issues with a 7800XT on a single ultrawide. But that also depends on what framerate you want to target, and the eye candy settings you use.

For fun, here's a snapshot of the framerate on my 6700XT (single 1440p screen) in ACC at EPIC settings with 30 cars, FSR Disabled. This is at Imola, at the back of the pack near the start line where FPS seems to be the worst. As cars spread out, the FPS does go up a little.

1695055117990.png

Overall, not bad for a 6700XT, but you would probably need to turn the eye candy down a little on an ultrawide. The 7800XT should be no problem. Even the 7700XT might be ok, but the value at the current pricing isn't the greatest.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea